Wo Unto You

For discussing the Church, Gospel of Jesus Christ, Mormonism, etc.
rewcox
Level 34 Illuminated

Wo Unto You

Post by rewcox »

14 Behold, thus saith the Lord unto my people—you have many things to do and to repent of; for behold, your sins have come up unto me, and are not pardoned, because you seek to counsel in your own ways.

rewcox
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: Wo Unto You

Post by rewcox »

16 Wo unto you rich men, that will not give your substance to the poor, for your riches will canker your souls; and this shall be your lamentation in the day of visitation, and of judgment, and of indignation: The harvest is past, the summer is ended, and my soul is not saved!

Is this like Trump and his council of billionaires?

gclayjr
captain of 1,000

Post by gclayjr »

Rewcox,

I don't know about Trump and his council of Billionaires, but there are certainly too many people who covet money, and want to take whatever advantage the government will give them to get as much financial advantage as possible.

My problem with people getting their panties in a twist about Trump, his Billionaires, Clinton, the Clinton foundation or whatever, is that they provide fodder for excusing others.... maybe ourselves.

I see Trump and his billionaires as neither the bad guys, nor the heroes that are going to save us. I think maybe I am in a minority. I am amazed at how many either see him as the savior, or Satan incarnate.

I find it amusing how people seem to rush to either pole, and defend it aggressively.

However, I do think that when it comes to coveting money, we can all take a moment and check out the face in the mirror.

Regards,

Geroge Clay
Last edited by gclayjr on February 6th, 2017, 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

investigator
captain of 100

Post by investigator »

I don't think we have to look that far to see the target of these scriptures.

JST, Matthew 7;4
And again, ye shall say unto them, Why is it that thou beholdest the mote that is in thy brother’s eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye?

rewcox
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by rewcox »

17 Wo unto you poor men, whose hearts are not broken, whose spirits are not contrite, and whose bellies are not satisfied, and whose hands are not stayed from laying hold upon other men’s goods, whose eyes are full of greediness, and who will not labor with your own hands!

18 But blessed are the poor who are pure in heart, whose hearts are broken, and whose spirits are contrite, for they shall see the kingdom of God coming in power and great glory unto their deliverance; for the fatness of the earth shall be theirs.

Whoops! If you are poor and will not help out, you get a Wo too!

ajax
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by ajax »

rewcox wrote:16 Wo unto you rich men, that will not give your substance to the poor, for your riches will canker your souls; and this shall be your lamentation in the day of visitation, and of judgment, and of indignation: The harvest is past, the summer is ended, and my soul is not saved!
If the poor today are better off than the rich back then, does this still apply?

rewcox
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by rewcox »

ajax wrote:
rewcox wrote:16 Wo unto you rich men, that will not give your substance to the poor, for your riches will canker your souls; and this shall be your lamentation in the day of visitation, and of judgment, and of indignation: The harvest is past, the summer is ended, and my soul is not saved!
If the poor today are better off than the rich back then, does this still apply?
No, look at these 8 and their wealth. Will this promote cleansing?

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/16/worl ... .html?_r=0

ajax
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by ajax »

Why do I care what they have? Why do you?

I'm guessing my super computer in my hands is just as good as theirs. My vehicle does the same thing theirs does, along with my indoor plumbing, climate control, refrigeration etc.

Wealth isn't measured in dollars, but actual goods at my disposal. World poverty has fallen by 80% since 1970.
http://www.aei.org/publication/on-the-i ... m-markets/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Or are you, being poor compared to them, seeking their money?
Last edited by ajax on February 6th, 2017, 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

ajax
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by ajax »

And I'm guessing their products have done more to help bring people out of poverty than my mere pittance of a few dollars to a beggar now and again.

And in saying this, I'm not suggesting they are saints.

ajax
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by ajax »

It's funny how things work. We love excellence. Excellence in art, music, science, engineering etc.

But when it comes to excellence in business, being able to foresee and create value for others at a profit which allows the enterprise to continue into the future, we demonize it. Go figure.

rewcox
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by rewcox »

ajax wrote:And I'm guessing their products have done more to help bring people out of poverty than my mere pittance of a few dollars to a beggar now and again.

And in saying this, I'm not suggesting they are saints.
Maybe if they had 75% of the wealth, poverty would be over! :)

ajax
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by ajax »

Probably not.

By the way, here are a couple of breakdowns of your linked oxfam report:

Oxfam's Hypocrisy on Private Wealth

Inequality Doesn't Create Poverty

rewcox
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by rewcox »

ajax wrote:Probably not.

By the way, here are a couple of breakdowns of your linked oxfam report:

Oxfam's Hypocrisy on Private Wealth

Inequality Doesn't Create Poverty
Supposedly, this is the ultimate:
3 And they had all things common among them; therefore there were not rich and poor, bond and free, but they were all made free, and partakers of the heavenly gift.

ajax
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by ajax »

Yeah supposedly. Get 3 LDS together to discuss this and you'll get 4 different opinions.

rewcox
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by rewcox »

6 And even so will I cause the wicked to be kept, that will not hear my voice but harden their hearts, and wo, wo, wo, is their doom.

3 Wos is pretty doomey.

jwharton
captain of 1,000

Post by jwharton »

rewcox wrote:14 Behold, thus saith the Lord unto my people—you have many things to do and to repent of; for behold, your sins have come up unto me, and are not pardoned, because you seek to counsel in your own ways.
I suggest you include the section and also verse 15:
D&C 56
14 Behold, thus saith the Lord unto my people--you have many things to do and to repent of; for behold, your sins have come up unto me, and are not pardoned, because you seek to counsel in your own ways.
15 And your hearts are not satisfied. And ye obey not the truth, but have pleasure in unrighteousness.
This is because the Lord often repeats key words or phrases so that a person will connect them up and merge them into a larger or gathered view.

For example, please see these verses:
2 Thessalonians 2
10 And with all deceivableness of unrighteousness in them that perish; because they received not the love of the truth, that they might be saved.
11 And for this cause God shall send them strong delusion, that they should believe a lie:
12 That they all might be damned who believed not the truth, but had pleasure in unrighteousness.
The implication here is that a time is coming to those saints who are tares that a great TEST will be presented in such a way that those who do not actually love and uphold the Father's Celestial Plan will feel justified in pursuing their course of action that is contrary to the Father's Plan. God will actually perform an act or a series of actions that are for this very purpose, which is to send them strong delusion so that these would believe a lie.

So, we see evidence here that God is actually working intentionally to suffer those who actually detest the Father's Plan to go to their eternal destruction by sending them something, for His own purposes, that would give them over to strong delusion and believe a lie.

Elsewhere on this forum I have been trying to show how OD-1 is in fact an instrument of this very nature, intended for the purpose of "beating the devil at his own game" by pretending that plural marriage was actually going to be stopped by saying the Church wouldn't teach or encourage or perform it anymore. And, this is now clearly exposed as a lie because there was a valid priesthood body organized and empowered to keep right on going to maintain the higher laws. That was merely a document to get the power of the world off the backs of the people so that they wouldn't get destroyed. But, it was a ruse and the fact that plural marriages did indeed continue to be entered into proves such was the case.

But, what ended up happening is those who actually detest the Father's Celestial Laws also came to believe the lie that the Manifesto contained, insofar as it wasn't genuinely the intention of God to stop it altogether. Plural marriage wasn't really a Church function because it was done by the Priesthood prior to 1852. It wasn't until then that the Church actually sustained what is now section 132 and became responsible to uphold it. So, if prior to 1852 there was no problem in doing them without Church endorsement, there certainly isn't any reason it couldn't go back to being a strictly Priesthood function as it was before.

But, those who came to believe this then escalated the matter in such a way that some decades later there was a great purge via mass excommunication of those who did in fact endeavor to preserve and maintain the higher laws as they were legitimately organized and set apart to do.

Here we see in the text of OD-1 and the Manifesto where the Lord can be seen making reference to "for this cause"...
OD-1
Now I will tell you what was manifested to me and what the Son of God performed in this thing. … All these things would have come to pass, as God Almighty lives, had not that Manifesto been given. Therefore, the Son of God felt disposed to have that thing presented to the Church and to the world for purposes in his own mind.
I submit that the Manifesto was given for the very cause that the people who had pleasure in unrighteousness and loved not the truth would be sent strong delusion and come to believe in a lie that would bring them to their destruction.

Dlight
captain of 100

Post by Dlight »

Is this like Trump and his council of billionaires?
If Trump is using his presidency to get rich, hes doing a bad job at it. His hotel bookings have dropped 59% around the world do to various boycotts.
http://news.groopspeak.com/report-trump ... d-boycott/

And many of his hotels are losing money now. Maybe he should stop adopting so many unpopular opinions?

Also:

The president-elect will shift his assets into a trust managed by his sons and other Trump executives and give up management of his private company and resign from all official positions within it.

Trump’s companies will make “no new foreign deals whatsoever” during Trump’s presidency

Any new domestic deals will need the approval of an independent ethics adviser

Profits from foreign government officials staying at Trump hotels will be donated to the US treasury

He has already disposed of all publicly traded and “easily liquidated” investments, and had cancelled all 30 pending deals his company was involved in.

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

rewcox wrote:6 And even so will I cause the wicked to be kept, that will not hear my voice but harden their hearts, and wo, wo, wo, is their doom.

3 Wos is pretty doomey.
Doomeys for dummies? :D

rewcox
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by rewcox »

2 Wo, wo, wo unto this people; wo unto the inhabitants of the whole earth except they shall repent; for the devil laugheth, and his angels rejoice, because of the slain of the fair sons and daughters of my people; and it is because of their iniquity and abominations that they are fallen!

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

gclayjr wrote:Rewcox,

I don't know about Trump and his council of Billionaires, but there are certainly too many people who covet money, and want to take whatever advantage the government will give them to get as much financial advantage as possible.

My problem with people getting their panties in a twist about Trump, his Billionaires, Clinton, the Clinton foundation or whatever, is that they provide fodder for excusing others.... maybe ourselves.

I see Trump and his billionaires as neither the bad guys, nor the heroes that are going to save us. I think maybe I am in a minority. I am amazed at how many either see him as the savior, or Satan incarnate.

I find it amusing how people seem to rush to either pole, and defend it aggressively.

However, I do think that when it comes to coveting money, we can all take a moment and check out the face in the mirror.

Regards,

George Clay
What's in your wallet? :)) :D

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

Giving to the poor is heart warming and a rush when seeing smiles come onto sullen faces. It brings an increase of love for our fellow beings. Even a few quarters helps someone even if their diet is booze.
Fix up an old bicycle and give it to someone. Give an old dresser, piece of furniture or chair to someone and see how good it feels. Take groceries to someone in need during Christmas time, anonymously. ETC.