You are a trinity

For discussing the Church, Gospel of Jesus Christ, Mormonism, etc.
Original_Intent
Level 34 Illuminated

You are a trinity

Post by Original_Intent »

I have always been taught that we are dual beings - body+spirit = soul.

I got a strong impression today that we are actually three-in-one. Body, mind and spirit.

The body and spirit send signals to the mind, The body could be seen as temptation, natural man, or the devil. The Spirit is of course the opposing force. the mind is the decider.

Interesting that the same pattern is followed in our bishoprics and presidencies. the presiding officer and two counselors, all the way up to the Godhead.

I realize also that there is an argument to be said that it is all semantics whether we are dual beings or triune beings, as perhaps it is all simply a matter of perspective and how we choose to look at things. From another perspective we each are billions of beings, intelligences that each struggles for its own survival, but also in its own way serves the intelligence that we call "me" - or doesn't serve as the case may be.

Juliet
captain of 1,000

Re: You are a trinity

Post by Juliet »

Yes, exactly right.

WhereCanITurn4Peace
captain of 100

Post by WhereCanITurn4Peace »

Just wanted to remark how much I appreciate your input, Original Intent. You seem like a very introspective, intelligent and pondering person and I'm grateful for your perspective.

Original_Intent
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Original_Intent »

Thank you for your kind words. I don;t know about the intelligent part, the older I get the more I realize I haven't been smart and continue to not be smart. But you nailed me on introvert, I mean introspective and pondering. I've been accused of over-thinking things :P

EdGoble
captain of 1,000

Post by EdGoble »

Original_Intent wrote:I have always been taught that we are dual beings - body+spirit = soul.

I got a strong impression today that we are actually three-in-one. Body, mind and spirit.

The body and spirit send signals to the mind, The body could be seen as temptation, natural man, or the devil. The Spirit is of course the opposing force. the mind is the decider.

Interesting that the same pattern is followed in our bishoprics and presidencies. the presiding officer and two counselors, all the way up to the Godhead.

I realize also that there is an argument to be said that it is all semantics whether we are dual beings or triune beings, as perhaps it is all simply a matter of perspective and how we choose to look at things. From another perspective we each are billions of beings, intelligences that each struggles for its own survival, but also in its own way serves the intelligence that we call "me" - or doesn't serve as the case may be.

I think you are right, and I think that is what is partially one interpretation of this scripture:
And thus the flesh becoming subject to the Spirit, or the Son to the Father, being one God, suffereth temptation, and yieldeth not to the temptation, but suffereth himself to be mocked, and scourged, and cast out, and disowned by his people. (Mosaiah 15:5)
Christ was subject to the will of the Father (i.e. the literal Father God), but the flesh became subject to the will of his own spirit, when he made his own will of his own Spirit and Mind to be in harmony with the will of his Father.