Put Your Shoulder to the Wheel

For discussing the Church, Gospel of Jesus Christ, Mormonism, etc.
diligently seeking
captain of 1,000

Re: Put Your Shoulder to the Wheel

Post by diligently seeking »

LDScop wrote:
Robin Hood wrote:My favourites, in order, are:

Spirit of God
Ye Elders of Israel
High on a Mountain Top
Hark All Ye Nations
Joel H Johnson of "High on a Mountain Top" is my direct ancestor. So is William Fowler of "We Thank Thee O God For a Prophet"

Well, pleased to meet you Joel. H. Johnson posterity. My 4th great grandfather was Ebenezer Beesley. Our two family members collaborated together on a beautiful song!

butterfly
captain of 1,000

Post by butterfly »

EmmaLee wrote:My favorite hymns are How Great Thou Art and Be Still My Soul - they've both gotten me through a lot in life. Also, Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing, with this verse holding special meaning lately -

O to grace how great a debtor
Daily I'm constrained to be
Let that grace now, like a fetter
Bind my wandering heart to Thee
Prone to wander, Lord, I feel it
Prone to leave the God I love
Here's my heart, O take and seal it
Seal it for Thy courts above
This is another great hymn removed from our hymnals due to incorrect concept of grace, I hear. I guess I just don't understand grace or something, I think this hymn is beautiful.

cyclOps
captain of 1,000

Post by cyclOps »

butterfly wrote:
EmmaLee wrote:My favorite hymns are How Great Thou Art and Be Still My Soul - they've both gotten me through a lot in life. Also, Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing, with this verse holding special meaning lately -

O to grace how great a debtor
Daily I'm constrained to be
Let that grace now, like a fetter
Bind my wandering heart to Thee
Prone to wander, Lord, I feel it
Prone to leave the God I love
Here's my heart, O take and seal it
Seal it for Thy courts above
This is another great hymn removed from our hymnals due to incorrect concept of grace, I hear. I guess I just don't understand grace or something, I think this hymn is beautiful.
I don't know that it has anything to do with grace or incorrect doctrine. "Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing" was rarely sung and only gained popularity a few years after its omission from the 1985 Hymn book. The Tabernacle Choir sang it in conference last year even, and other church related choirs (BYU, MTC, etc) sing it often.

There are many songs that would be appropriate to add or put back into the hymn book but it would be hymn books plural if we did that. There were 6,000 + hymns considered in 1985 and it had to be narrowed down to a little over 300. I wouldn't want that job.

brianj
captain of 1,000

Post by brianj »

gclayjr wrote:Actually my favorite hymn that brings a lump to my throat is not even an LDS hymn..

Amazing Grace how sweet the sound that saved a wretch like me...

I always wondered why we don't include that one in our hymn books... maybe we would use up too many tissues.
I'm also a fan of Amazing Grace. A friend told me it was once in the hymnal, and I see that claim repeated here, but I've never been able to confirm it.

I also like When The Saints Go Marching In. I would say Amazing Grace is a close second to When The Saints for favorite hymns not in the hymnal.

The people who know me best know that I would be very pleased to have a second line as part of my funeral, which I hope doesn't happen anytime soon. Start with Just a Closer Walk With Thee as is traditional, then on to When The Saints, like at the memorial for Pete Fountain - not that I deserve anything like the sendoff Pete received.

Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robin Hood »

eddie wrote:
Robin Hood wrote:My favourites, in order, are:

Spirit of God
Ye Elders of Israel
High on a Mountain Top
Hark All Ye Nations
" The Spirit Of God," is one of my favs but it seems like
we rarely sing it?
I make sure we sing it frequently in my ward.

Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robin Hood »

brianj wrote:
gclayjr wrote:Actually my favorite hymn that brings a lump to my throat is not even an LDS hymn..

I always wondered why we don't include that one in our hymn books... maybe we would use up too many tissues.
I'm also a fan of Amazing Grace. A friend told me it was once in the hymnal, and I see that claim repeated here, but I've never been able to confirm it.

I also like When The Saints Go Marching In. I would say Amazing Grace is a close second to When The Saints for favorite hymns not in the hymnal.

The people who know me best know that I would be very pleased to have a second line as part of my funeral, which I hope doesn't happen anytime soon. Start with Just a Closer Walk With Thee as is traditional, then on to When The Saints, like at the memorial for Pete Fountain - not that I deserve anything like the sendoff Pete received.
I don't think Amazing Grace was ever in our hymnal.
In fact I read somewhere that at one time it was specifically discouraged as it was thought to teach false doctrine and "easy grace" sectarianism.

gclayjr
captain of 1,000

Post by gclayjr »

Ezra,
don't like the battle hymn of the republic.

A few things in the song I don't agree with at all.
While I admit that you don't seem to be one of the foaming at the mouth anti Union, people believing that Lincoln was Satan himself here on this board, however, I do believe that you do lean that way. So I would have thought that you would have had more of a problem with the fact that it was a Hymn of the Union Army, and you would have had more of a problem with words like
As He died to make men holy, let us die to make men free,
While God is marching on.
I do think this is a great song!

Regards,

George Clay

seekingtruth
captain of 50

Post by seekingtruth »

"I think of his hands pierced and bleeding to pay the debt!
Such Mercy, such love and devotion can I forgot?
No, no, I will praise and adore at the mercy seat,
Until at the glorified throne I kneel at his feet."

Makes me choke up every time.

kittycat51
captain of 1,000

Post by kittycat51 »

I can't ever get through "I Know that my Redeemer Lives".

butterfly
captain of 1,000

Post by butterfly »

Robin Hood wrote:
brianj wrote:

In fact I read somewhere that at one time it was specifically discouraged as it was thought to teach false doctrine and "easy grace" sectarianism.
That's what I heard, too, but I don't see anything false about grace in the hymn. Do you?

David13
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by David13 »

butterfly wrote:
Robin Hood wrote:
brianj wrote:

That's what I heard, too, but I don't see anything false about grace in the hymn. Do you?

I think that there is at least implied some false doctrine, which is also a doctrine of what I call the easy churches.
The song says I was saved by grace. The idea that grace alone will save you. So think the easy churches.
I think the truth is more than that. That there must be obedience to the commandments, repentance, and a few other things, too.
dc

“It is by grace that we are saved, after all we can do” (2 Nephi 25:23).

The song doesn't say anything about the "after all we can do" part. That's where it's misleading, where it doesn't go far enough.
Last edited by David13 on January 30th, 2017, 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

eddie
captain of 1,000

Post by eddie »

David13 wrote:
butterfly wrote:
Robin Hood wrote:
brianj wrote:

I think that there is at least implied some false doctrine, which is also a doctrine of what I call the easy churches.
The song says I was saved by grace. The idea that grace alone will save you. So think the easy churches.
I think the truth is more than that. That there must be obedience to the commandments, repentance, and a few other things, too.
dc
David, are you not getting my Pm's?