Book of Enoch and Book of Mormon origin

For discussing the Church, Gospel of Jesus Christ, Mormonism, etc.
ShockHouse
captain of 100

Book of Enoch and Book of Mormon origin

Post by ShockHouse »

I remember reading years ago about a connection with what Free Masons believe surrounding the eventual finding of the Book of Enoch. They compared this to how the Book of Mormon was found.
All I remember is that Emma and Joseph dressed in black, and had 2 black horses the night they retrieve the plates. This is similar to what the Free Masons believe their prophet must wear to retrieve their scriptures.

Does anyone have more information on this??

EdGoble
captain of 1,000

Re: Book of Enoch and Book of Mormon origin

Post by EdGoble »

ShockHouse wrote:I remember reading years ago about a connection with what Free Masons believe surrounding the eventual finding of the Book of Enoch. They compared this to how the Book of Mormon was found.
All I remember is that Emma and Joseph dressed in black, and had 2 black horses the night they retrieve the plates. This is similar to what the Free Masons believe their prophet must wear to retrieve their scriptures.

Does anyone have more information on this??
I'm not sure what you are trying to do by bringing this up. There are many things documented in claims made by this or that person that knew the Smiths during their treasure digging days to know that they engaged in occult and freemasonic practices. Just read Quinn's book.

And so, it is well known that Freemasonry and the "Occult" were used in early Mormonism, and were key elements to the restoration, and God's communication with his people in the early days. It is clear that many things in freemasonry were used to model the temple rites. It is clear that we have been weaned off of these practices for the most part, and that they are mostly unnecessary because other ways exist for getting revelation. However, I don't see it as sin for people to privately engage in dowsing or scrying or whatever else, so long as they keep their mouth shut to priesthood leaders to not get themselves in the crosshairs, and so long as they don't preach it. I think those practices are entirely innocuous.

I personally engage in bibliomancy with the scriptures unapologetically and count it as one of my spiritual gifts, and it is the one "occult" practice that is still widely accepted in the Church.

Older/wiser?
captain of 100

Post by Older/wiser? »

ShockHouse, here is a page of info. that hopefully sheds a little light on the purpose and is less condemning than you might suppose. I don't usually like lengthy answers but here it is. From Joseph Smith and the Restoration by Ivan J Barrett , BYU 3rd printing, 1970. Pgs.429. D. The Mormons Become Masons. That the Church survived under terrorism which accompanied the inhuman persecutions everywhere it went is a marvel to those who read it's history. Joseph Smith settled Nauvoo in the hope that his people might have respite from oppression, and live in peace to worship God in their own peculiar way. They had built well. Nauvoo became the most populous and thriving city in Illinois. But shortly after the arrival of the Mormons in Illinois, the neighbors began to find fault with the doctrines of the church, notably revelation. The prosperity of the industrious saints also incited jealousy on the part of people less diligent in applying their energies to improve their own communities. Then Missourians infiltrated many of the Illinois towns along the river, and roused the animal instincts of many to take action against the Saints, and particularly to take the Prophet and deliver him into their hands. The Saints knew all too well the horrors which followed mob persecution . Joseph, their Prophet leader, sought every means available to quell the rising tide of opposition . Many of his closest associates in the church were Masons. His brother Hiram, Heber C. Kimball, Newell K. Whitney, Elijah Fordham, James Adams, and John C. Bennett were a few. Some of these were high degree Masons. They called the Prophets attention to the spirit of brotherhood and brotherly love which supposedly was the very foundation prop of the Masonic fraternity and characterized Masonic activities. They told him that on the roles of masonry, those lodges will stand highest in which not some few, but each and every member cheerfully gives of his time and labors to make the others happier not some of the time but all of the time."32. This Lofty sentiment corresponded with the high ideals advanced by the Prophet and practiced by his followers. Many prominent and influential men in the state were Masons and the Saints needed them as friends. It was readily conceded that association with the fraternity might help the Saints escape mob persecutions. The Saints wanted peace with all men. Progress of the work would be hindered at home and abroad if opposition to the church was not checked. Perhaps joining with the Masons would help so ran the thoughts of some church leaders. Receiving the Prophets approval, masonic members of the church petitioned the grandmaster of Illinois for authorization to set up a lodge in Nauvoo as soon as this was learned, the Masonic Lodge in Quincy wrote a lengthy protest to Grand Master Jonas not to grant the Mormons wishes. Other jealous lodges joined in the protest. Flooding the grandmaster with objections. But Mr. Jonas was a shrewd politician. The prophet had announced that the Mormons would vote for their friends regardless of political party and Jonas Kingley sensed the strength of the Mormons at the polls. As he intended to enter the political arena soon as a candidate for a state office, and wished to gain the Mormon favor, he ignored the petitions of other members of the fraternity and granted the Mormons permission in October 1841 to hold large meetings. On March 15, 1842, authority was given to set up a Logde in Nauvoo. It was a great day in Nauvoo when grand Master Jonas arrived to install the Nauvoo Lodge of Freemasons, at the Grove near the temple. Thousands gathered before the Prophet Josephs store, and to stirring music marched up Main Street and West on Mulholland Street to the Grove to witness the ceremonies. Over 5000 persons attended the Masonic celebration Joseph Smith officiated as grand chaplain and in the evening was promoted 3 degrees practically "upon site", a rare procedure reserved for kings, presidents, and potentiates. 33 Hyram Smith , the patriarch , had received his first 3 degree of masonry in Ontario County, New York. 34 later in the summer he was installed worshipful master of the Risingsun Lodge of the ancient York Masons. Large members of Naboo citizens were inducted into the fraternity. Soon the Rising Sun Lodge became the largest in the state of Illinois. Members of the Nauvoo unit built the most substantial and best furnished Masonic Temple in the Western states . When it was dedicated on April 5, 1844, by the worshipful Master Hiram Smith, over 550 members of the Masonic fraternity assembled. Ezra snow delivered a moving masonic address. The procession was formed at Henry Miller's house and marched to the temple rights accompanied by the Nauvoo brass band. It was a gala affair. Unfortunately, the Prophets purpose for joining the Masons failed. He desired, by becoming a mason, to promote goodwill towards his people. He was true to his Masonic pledges, but masonry could not overcome the hatred fired by faulted. The attempt to win friends for the sacred cause of Christ, through masonry, fell short of relization and forming a lodge in Nauvoo hindered, rather than helped, the cause of the church. There were masons in the mob which shot to death Joseph and Hiram Smith at Carthage. Later masons accused the Prophet of incorporating their rituals into his temple ordinances .That there are similarities cannot be denied, but Joseph Smith had received the temple endowments through revelation from the Lord long before he became a Mason, part of the ceremonies had been introduced to Mormon brethren in the Kirkland Temple. No one needs suppose that honest, levelheaded man like Hiram Smith, Brigham Young, and Heber C Kimball, who could not tolerate underhandedness, would not have exposed any fraudulent attempt on the part of theProphet to blend masonic ritual into the sacred ceremony of the temple. After being introduced to the Masonic rights, Joseph Smith told his private secretary, Benjamin F Johnson that Freemasonry was the apostate endowments as secretary and religion was the apostate religion . 35. I hope this sheds a bit of light the History.

paulrobots
captain of 100

Post by paulrobots »

"Large members of Naboo citizens were inducted into the fraternity."

Are we talking about Mormonism, Masonry, or Star Wars here? :YMALIEN:

Older/wiser?
captain of 100

Post by Older/wiser? »

paulrobots wrote:"Large members of Naboo citizens were inducted into the fraternity."

Are we talking about Mormonism, Masonry, or Star Wars here? :YMALIEN:
Sorry between auto correct and recovering it was the best I could do, remember because of the ackwardness of our hands they will not believe our words..

kittycat51
captain of 1,000

Post by kittycat51 »

Another note of mention; Mormons didn't "steal" anything from the Masons. Most of the things in question date back to bible times, long before there were any Masons.

ShockHouse
captain of 100

Post by ShockHouse »

Thanks guys! I'm actually fascinated by the connections and don't find it condemning at all to Mormonism. It was actually a faith builder for me seeing how the Lord used means the people were comfortable with at the time. So thanks for all the info!

Also in response to the first replier I completely agree. This past summer I found out my grandfather used his divining rods to locate the water for my dad's potato farm in Idaho. I got intrigued and he helped me make my own pair that I now have for other purposes than water.