The Philosophies of Men Mingled with Scripture

For discussing the Church, Gospel of Jesus Christ, Mormonism, etc.
LdsMarco
captain of 100

The Philosophies of Men Mingled with Scripture

Post by LdsMarco »

Focusing on the philosophies of men, pursuing “gospel hobbies” with excess zeal, and elevating rules over doctrine are ways we may look beyond the mark.

Looking beyond the Mark Is a Stumbling Block

The prophet Jacob referred to ancient Jews as “a stiffnecked people [who] despised … plainness, … killed the prophets, and sought for things that they could not understand. Wherefore, because of their blindness, which blindness came by looking beyond the mark, they must needs fall.”

While there are many examples of looking beyond the mark, a significant one in our day is extremism. Gospel extremism is when one elevates any gospel principle above other equally important principles and takes a position that is beyond or contrary to the teachings of Church leaders. One example is when one advocates for additions, changes, or primary emphasis to one part of the Word of Wisdom. Another is expensive preparation for end-of-days scenarios. In both examples, others are encouraged to accept private interpretations. “If we turn a health law or any other principle into a form of religious fanaticism, we are looking beyond the mark.”

Speaking of important doctrine, the Lord has declared, “Whosoever declareth more or less than this, the same is not of me.” When we elevate any principle in a way that lessens our commitment to other equally important principles or take a position contrary to or which exceeds teachings of Church leaders, we are looking beyond the mark.

In addition, some members elevate causes, many of which are good, to a status superior to basic gospel doctrine. They substitute their devotion to the cause as their first commitment and relegate their commitment to the Savior and His teachings to a secondary position. If we elevate anything above our devotion to the Savior, if our conduct recognizes Him as just another teacher and not the divine Son of God, then we are looking beyond the mark. Jesus Christ is the mark!

The 76th section of the Doctrine and Covenants makes it clear that being “valiant in the testimony of Jesus” is the simple, essential test between those who will inherit the blessings of the celestial kingdom and those in the lesser terrestrial kingdom. To be valiant, we need to focus on the power of Jesus Christ and His atoning sacrifice to overcome death and, through our repentance, to cleanse us from sin, and we need to follow the doctrine of Christ. We also need the light and knowledge of the Savior’s life and teachings to guide us on the covenant pathway, including the sacred ordinances of the temple. We must be steadfast in Christ, feast upon His word, and endure to the end.

If we are to be valiant in our testimony of Jesus, we must avoid the stumbling blocks that entrap and impede the progress of many otherwise honorable men and women. Let us determine to always be in His service. While seeking knowledge, we need to avoid the philosophies of men that lessen our commitment to the Savior. We must see sin in its true light and accept the Savior’s Atonement through repentance. We need to avoid looking beyond the mark and focus on Jesus Christ, our Savior and Redeemer, and follow His doctrine.

My father saw the pole as a means of providing power, light, and abundant water for cooking and cleansing. It was a stepping-stone to improving his life.

One writer suggests that stumbling blocks may be made into “stepping-stones to a noble character and to Heaven.”

For us, being valiant in our testimony of Jesus is a stepping-stone toward qualifying for the Savior’s grace and the celestial kingdom. Jesus Christ is the only name under heaven by which we may be saved. I bear my sure witness of both His divinity and His supernal role in the Father’s plan. In the name of Jesus Christ, amen.

https://www.lds.org/general-conference/ ... s?lang=eng" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Some who are not authorized want to speak for the Brethren and imply that their message contains the “meat” the Brethren would teach if they were not constrained to teach only the “milk.” Others want to counsel the Brethren and are critical of all teachings that do not comply with their version of what should be taught.

jdt
captain of 100

Re: The Philosophies of Men Mingled with Scripture

Post by jdt »

LdsMarco wrote:...
Gospel extremism is when one elevates any gospel principle above other equally important principles and takes a position that is beyond or contrary to the teachings of Church leaders.
When we elevate any principle in a way that lessens our commitment to other equally important principles or take a position contrary to or which exceeds teachings of Church leaders, we are looking beyond the mark.
If we elevate anything above our devotion to the Savior, if our conduct recognizes Him as just another teacher and not the divine Son of God, then we are looking beyond the mark. Jesus Christ is the mark!
Some who are not authorized want to speak for the Brethren and imply that their message contains the “meat” the Brethren would teach if they were not constrained to teach only the “milk.” Others want to counsel the Brethren and are critical of all teachings that do not comply with their version of what should be taught.
One of these statements is not not like the rest.

Ask yourself what are the philosophies of men. Don't assume you know the answer. Better yet ask God. He will tell you. It will cost you everything of this world, including your good name and reputation, but He will answer if you will listen.

Juliet
captain of 1,000

Post by Juliet »

The Book of Mormon references the mysteries of God more than it does going beyond the mark. One time I found a website that explains how the temple of Solomon was organized after the periodic table of elements, and the author was able to show that a couple of elements have yet to be found. He also showed how it is representative of the structure of atoms, families, and even the subatomic units. I thought it was fascinating but when I told some people about it they told me I was looking beyond the mark. (The website is teaching hearts.org). If we are studying the scriptures and seeking to do things to bring the Holy Spirit into our lives, why shouldn't great things be revealed to us?

Looking beyond the mark comes when your motivation is not pure, when you seek to know the mysteries so that you can deceive or overpower people. But an honest seeker of truth is a good thing, and they receive as they submit to the enticings of the Holy Spirit.

diligently seeking
captain of 1,000

Post by diligently seeking »

Juliet wrote:The Book of Mormon references the mysteries of God more than it does going beyond the mark. One time I found a website that explains how the temple of Solomon was organized after the periodic table of elements, and the author was able to show that a couple of elements have yet to be found. He also showed how it is representative of the structure of atoms, families, and even the subatomic units. I thought it was fascinating but when I told some people about it they told me I was looking beyond the mark. (The website is teaching hearts.org). If we are studying the scriptures and seeking to do things to bring the Holy Spirit into our lives, why shouldn't great things be revealed to us?

Looking beyond the mark comes when your motivation is not pure, when you seek to know the mysteries so that you can deceive or overpower people. But an honest seeker of truth is a good thing, and they receive as they submit to the enticings of the Holy Spirit.
Some one who is genuinely growing in having the mysteries of God revealed has lived and thrived in the basic principles of the gospel. The gospel is not lip service to them but is the very making of who they are. Christ would call these folks Saints his spiritual sons and daughters. These folks are moving forward steadfast and immovable in good works so that Christ can seal them unto him and they eventualty become "partakers of the heavenly gift". The works and gifts of the Master follow them. It is dangerous to be steeped in religious traditions that reflect "club membership" this mentality that all is well in Zion / check the box I've done all that is needed. The Church of the God of Israel during Christ's 3 year ministry who had their roots sunk deep into and linking to the great Prophets in holy writ--were steeped in cultural traditions that left them bereft of the gifts of God. These folks in true definition of the expression looked beyond the mark" a careful study of Moroni chapter 7 through the chapters leading to the end of chapter 10 helps us understand how we should measure up why we should measure up and what can rightly be determined by our condition if we are not receiving / measuring up. In short, find me true devoted lovers of God who have the love of God in their heart and i will show you a religious people who would not crucify Christ and who would grow line upon line until they become succesful D&C 93: 1 recepiants /"partakers of the heavenly gift"

Sarah
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Sarah »

If the mark is Jesus Christ, then ultimately going beyond the mark is believing or preaching things that you want, rather than what he wants. If he is "the mark", any truth he reveals to you is in line with Him, but he also wants you to respect the beliefs and teachings he wants his OTHER children to have, and that might not be exactly what you understand. The Church is his standard for the Saints and the world. Going beyond the mark means that you have decided what others are to have, rather than the Lord deciding, and you publicly preach or lobby the Church to teach and preach as you would have them preach. The Lord wants all of his children to be like Jaredbees said, so firmly rooted in the basics first, that they are able to be accountable to receive more truth. What I see, and I am guilty of this, is taking a statement by the brethren, and then interpreting it to mean something that they don't necessarily mean. This too is going beyond the mark, or assuming you know the mind of the Lord.

Contemplator
captain of 100

Post by Contemplator »

These discussions of "looking beyond the mark" are interesting because there is only once instance of this phrase in all of scripture. Thus, unless based in the one mention in scripture, any discussion of what these words mean is really only disclosing the views of the commentator, not of the scriptures.

The words appear in Jacob 4:
14 But behold, the Jews were a stiffnecked people; and they despised the words of plainness, and killed the prophets, and sought for things that they could not understand. Wherefore, because of their blindness, which blindness came by looking beyond the mark, they must needs fall; for God hath taken away his plainness from them, and delivered unto them many things which they cannot understand, because they desired it. And because they desired it God hath done it, that they may stumble.
15 And now I, Jacob, am led on by the Spirit unto prophesying; for I perceive by the workings of the Spirit which is in me, that by the stumbling of the Jews they will reject the stone upon which they might build and have safe foundation.
Now, I don't claim to know all that Jacob meant when he used these words. It does seem in context, though, that Jacob was saying, "seek not to counsel the Lord, but to take counsel from his hand (v 10)." And, "be reconciled unto him through the atonement of Christ, his Only Begotten Son (v 11)." How do we do this? By keeping God's commands with an eye toward how they bring us to Christ and atonement (v 4-6).

When we need complex sets of rules, guidelines, doctrines, etc., they can distract us from Christ and cause us to be blind. I am grateful for a church, ordinances, people to worship with, etc. But, when it comes right down to it I must repent and exercise faith in Jesus Christ, be baptized and take the name of Christ upon me, receive the Holy Ghost and follow its promptings back to God. Pretty simple, yet very demanding. And, it is SOOOO easy to get caught up in running great programs or following some set of rules to, somehow, earn my way to being worthy of God's love. When, in fact, God's love is already there and I don't have to earn it. I merely must respond to it by repenting and then gratefully doing as He asks. Then, sharing that love with others.