GAS Prophecy and Following the Prophet

For discussing the Church, Gospel of Jesus Christ, Mormonism, etc.
Red
captain of 100

GAS Prophecy and Following the Prophet

Post by Red »

A forum friend encouraged me to post a little tidbit I relayed to her on the GAS Prophecy.

In regard to the George Albert Smith Prophecy, I don't discount anyone (I'm not omniscient... yet ;) )but that's a LOT of prophecy to get right. Samuel the Lamanite's prophecy was much simpler. I don't think we are supposed to have details like that revealed in prophecy.

It's interesting to consider the psychology of the George Albert Smith Prophecy. GAS had mental illness. He suffered chronically from depression and anxiety. Coming off of WW2, it would be natural for him to have a "prophecy" that wasn't prophetic but a symptom of his illness. People with this type of mental illness will often project their fears in this manner. Also, the first underground military silo was built in the 50s. As well connected as our prophets are, it's likely that GAS knew from other political sources the silos were going to be/were built and his anxiety and paranoia construed that into a "prophecy". Ultimately my biggest red flag is that the Lord doesn't typically give that much detail for prophecies bc He intends for us to operate on faith given the bare bones of prophecy. It's part of why we are here.

Ultimately, prophets are still men. They are still fallible. Though they purportedly won't lead us astray, part of our earthly mission is to receive our own personal revelation. We can be our own life's prophet. Not to lead and guide groups of people, but to lead and guide our loved ones. Always receive your own confirmation on EVERYTHING! Especially our leaders' counsel!

OCDMOM
captain of 1,000

Re: GAS Prophecy and Following the Prophet

Post by OCDMOM »

Anxiety and depression are not a mental illness. They are an emotional problem.

Red
captain of 100

Post by Red »

OCDMOM wrote:Anxiety and depression are not a mental illness. They are an emotional problem.
Pardon me for my poor grammar. I assumed "chronic" made it obvious that GAS' had anxiety disorder and depression that was incapacitating. He was unable to control it. That's a mental illness by most psychological and psychiatric standards.

butterfly
captain of 1,000

Post by butterfly »

Is it possible we're seeing a similar situation today with people having dreams and visions about last days events - can a person be so consumed by an idea or a fear that they start mistaking their fear for revelation?

shadow
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by shadow »

It's weak to put the blame for a failed "prophecy" on GAS when theres no proof he ever made that declaration. I put the blame on Horne. I don't think he was malicious, but he was just a boy when he heard it and he didn't write it down until years and years later. And even after that he changed what he heard the prophet say. The so called prophecy was never reliable.