"I felt the spirit" A social phrase, or a true declaration?

For discussing the Church, Gospel of Jesus Christ, Mormonism, etc.
Hivetyrant36
captain of 100

"I felt the spirit" A social phrase, or a true declaration?

Post by Hivetyrant36 »

I'm sure we've all had those days at church where everybody seems like they are just going through the motions and the speakers are nervous and don't deliver and the prayers are reversed, yknow.
The one main issue I deal with is this... how many people at church are actually feeling the spirit, as opposed to just saying they are. When I was leaving on my mission, I had realized that I never "felt" the spirit as other people said they did and It caused me a lot of emotional pain thinking I was not good enough for the spirit. As I have grown wiser and more knowledgeable, I am beginning to see a trend in how the spirit actually manifests itself, and I am skeptical of the "we felt the spirit" crowd. In my experience, and this may simply be how I recognize and respond to it, the spirit is more usually ideas and impressions, and usually emotional "revelations" have been 100% false for me in my life without fail.
It seems to me like the phrase is merely a social construct, and the spirit wasn't present at all in the way they thought, and the feeling they had was simply their romanticization of the church and its doctrine (which I cannot stand. I'm fairly anti romance :D)
I can tell the spirit is with me quit a but, so it makes me cynical when others say the had a warm feeling when no knowledge of note was passed on. There is always the argument of "you get out of church what you put in" but I find the atmosphere and the social aspect too dominating for me to have any real spiritual experiences in a setting like church.
I find I learn most on my own.

What do you guys think?

JohnnyL
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: "I felt the spirit" A social phrase, or a true declaration?

Post by JohnnyL »

Both. It's not just what we put in, but what we need, where we are at, what level we are on, what we are prepared to receive and are open to, etc. It's also our attitude. And yeah, there are times I seriously doubt when someone says that, given the person's "appearance" and spirit when they say it.

Even with all the weird stuff, there have been very, very few times at church when I felt the Spirit leave a person or meeting.

Latter-day Voices is a wonderful Spirit-bringer: https://www.lds.org/ensign/series/latte ... int-voices" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Obrien
Up, up and away.

Post by Obrien »

Hivetyrant36 wrote:I'm sure we've all had those days at church where everybody seems like they are just going through the motions and the speakers are nervous and don't deliver and the prayers are reversed, yknow.
The one main issue I deal with is this... how many people at church are actually feeling the spirit, as opposed to just saying they are. When I was leaving on my mission, I had realized that I never "felt" the spirit as other people said they did and It caused me a lot of emotional pain thinking I was not good enough for the spirit. As I have grown wiser and more knowledgeable, I am beginning to see a trend in how the spirit actually manifests itself, and I am skeptical of the "we felt the spirit" crowd. In my experience, and this may simply be how I recognize and respond to it, the spirit is more usually ideas and impressions, and usually emotional "revelations" have been 100% false for me in my life without fail.
It seems to me like the phrase is merely a social construct, and the spirit wasn't present at all in the way they thought, and the feeling they had was simply their romanticization of the church and its doctrine (which I cannot stand. I'm fairly anti romance :D)
I can tell the spirit is with me quit a but, so it makes me cynical when others say the had a warm feeling when no knowledge of note was passed on. There is always the argument of "you get out of church what you put in" but I find the atmosphere and the social aspect too dominating for me to have any real spiritual experiences in a setting like church.
I find I learn most on my own.

What do you guys think?
+100
I often wonder how many of the attendees at church are baptized by fire, have received the second comforter (as described in 2 Nephi) and are members of the church of the first born? All required, per dc 76.

Juliet
captain of 1,000

Post by Juliet »

I think you are discerning the spirits correctly, as taught in D&C 50. The Holy Spirit is usually light hearted. Once in a while it pierces through the soul, but most good hearted people have no idea how almost every thing they do and say is inspired by the Holy Spirit and we just need to get out of our own way because He is already doing a good job in our life. I think the best way the Holy Spirit influences us is in our friendships, much more than what you say over the pulpit. That being said, I think for a lot of people God would take them into deeper truths if they wouldnt be so quick to cast away thoughts that had contradiction with current experiences and understandings. How often do we pray for answers and the thought comes to us and we think, no way! Then the Spirit has to back off because we think we know better :)
Also, the phrase "I felt the spirit" should never be used as authority to manipulate anothers' beliefs. Only the Spirit of truth can convict someone as they are ready to receive.

Lizzy60
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Lizzy60 »

#HeartSell

eddie
captain of 1,000

Post by eddie »

D&C 8:2
Yea, behold, I will tell you in your mind and in your heart, by the Holy Ghost, which shall come upon you and which shall dwell in your heart.

I believe most people feel the spirit differently. It can be a feeling of love, happiness, wanting to do good, doing whats right, being tender hearted, etc.