The Ultimate Polygamy Thread - It started in the Past

For discussing the Church, Gospel of Jesus Christ, Mormonism, etc.
rewcox
Level 34 Illuminated

The Ultimate Polygamy Thread - It started in the Past

Post by rewcox »

Long ago, in a land far away....

Today you can travel by air around the world in just a few hours. Yet plural marriage or polygamy started thousands of years ago. It was justified by God. We also know by the Book of Mormon that God determines when polygamy is ok, and when it is not.

Today, it is not ok. That may not remain the case. Let's look at the past...

D&C 132:1
1 ​Verily, thus saith the Lord unto you my servant Joseph, that inasmuch as you have inquired of my hand to know and understand wherein I, the Lord, justified my servants Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob, as also Moses, David and Solomon, my servants, as touching the principle ​​and doctrine of their having many ​​​wives​ and ​​​concubines​

Concubine

concubines, which Abraham had, Gen. 25:6.

a certain Levite … who took to him a concubine, Judg. 19:1.

hast thou gone in unto my father’s concubine, 2 Sam. 3:7.

David took him more concubines and wives, 2 Sam. 5:13.

Absalom went in unto his father’s concubines, 2 Sam. 16:22.

he had seven hundred wives, princesses, and three hundred concubines, 1 Kgs. 11:3.

David of old desiring many wives and concubines, Jacob 1:15.

concubines he shall have none, Jacob 2:27 (3:5).

he had many wives and concubines, Mosiah 11:2 (Ether 10:5).

doctrine of their having many wives and concubines, D&C 132:1.

kittycat51
captain of 1,000

Re: The Ultimate Polygamy Thread - It started in the Past

Post by kittycat51 »

https://www.lds.org/topics/plural-marri ... s?lang=eng" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

FTC
captain of 100

Post by FTC »

A thought to ponder, since about 1900, anybody in a predominently Christian country, that tries to do the polygamy thing, ends up either dead (whether from being shot by law enforcement or mass suicide) or in prison.

Another thought to ponder, a whole heck of a lot of people live effectively polygamist. They have sex with whoever, whenever. Even lots of married people, both male and female. The only difference between official polygamy and effectively polygamist is a government sanctioned piece of paper.

rewcox
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by rewcox »

FTC wrote:A thought to ponder, since about 1900, anybody in a predominently Christian country, that tries to do the polygamy thing, ends up either dead (whether from being shot by law enforcement or mass suicide) or in prison.

Another thought to ponder, a whole heck of a lot of people live effectively polygamist. They have sex with whoever, whenever. Even lots of married people, both male and female. The only difference between official polygamy and effectively polygamist is a government sanctioned piece of paper.
Interesting point.

Abraham was a friend of God, and he had concubines.
Genesis 25: 6 ​But unto the sons of the ​​​concubines​, which Abraham had, Abraham gave gifts, and ​​​sent​ them away from Isaac his son, while he yet lived, eastward, unto the ​​​east​ country.
Genesis 17
1 And when Abram was ninety years old and nine, the Lord appeared to Abram, and said unto him, I am the Almighty God; walk before me, and be thou perfect.

2 And I will make my covenant between me and thee, and will multiply thee exceedingly.

3 aAnd Abram fell on his face: and God talked with him, saying,

4 As for me, behold, my covenant is with thee, and thou shalt be a father of many nations.

5 Neither shall thy name any more be called Abram, but thy name shall be Abraham; for a father of many nations have I made thee.

6 And I will make thee exceeding fruitful, and I will make nations of thee, and kings shall come out of thee.

7 And I will establish my covenant between me and thee and thy seed after thee in their generations for an everlasting covenant, to be a God unto thee, and to thy seed after thee.

8 And I will give unto thee, and to thy seed after thee, the land wherein thou art a stranger, all the land of Canaan, for an everlasting possession; and I will be their God.

Rachael
Captain of whatever

Post by Rachael »

rewcox wrote:Long ago, in a land far away....

Today you can travel by air around the world in just a few hours. Yet plural marriage or polygamy started thousands of years ago. It was justified by God. We also know by the Book of Mormon that God determines when polygamy is ok, and when it is not.

Today, it is not ok. That may not remain the case. Let's look at the past...

1 ​Verily, thus saith the Lord unto you my servant Joseph, that inasmuch as you have inquired of my hand to know and understand wherein I, the Lord, justified my servants Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob, as also Moses, David and Solomon, my servants, as touching the principle ​​and doctrine of their having many ​​​wives​ and ​​​concubines​

Concubine

concubines, which Abraham had, Gen. 25:6.

a certain Levite … who took to him a concubine, Judg. 19:1.

hast thou gone in unto my father’s concubine, 2 Sam. 3:7.

David took him more concubines and wives, 2 Sam. 5:13.

Absalom went in unto his father’s concubines, 2 Sam. 16:22.

he had seven hundred wives, princesses, and three hundred concubines, 1 Kgs. 11:3.

David of old desiring many wives and concubines, Jacob 1:15.

concubines he shall have none, Jacob 2:27 (3:5).

he had many wives and concubines, Mosiah 11:2 (Ether 10:5).

doctrine of their having many wives and concubines, D&C 132:1.
Concubines were marriages to women in bondage. Bondage means slavery. Slavery and polygamy, the twins of barbarism.

Abraham. When God commanded Abraham to sacrifice Issac, He said to offer "Isaac, thy only son ,which thou lovest", though Ishamael (by his concubine Hagar), was the 1st born. God did not command Abraham to take Hagar to wife, Sarah did. The rest of his sons by concubines, he sent away.

A certain Levite had a concubine that literally got copulated to death while she and the certain Levite were travelling through the territory of Benjamin. Wonderful story, the tribe of Benjamin almost gets wiped out by civil war, and they had arrangements made by the victorious tribes to kidnap their daughters for wives so they wouldn't become an extinct tribe.

Hast thou gone unto my father's concubine... If the father hadn't had one, there wouldn't be any to "go unto" in the first place. That goes for David/Absalom too that he went unto on the rooftop of the palace for all to see. Just great, like the rest of your scriptural examples.

But anyway, there isn't really a good, righteous example of having concubines in the scriptures you mentioned, and they were not put in context

rewcox
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by rewcox »

Rachael wrote:Concubines were marriages to women in bondage. Bondage means slavery. Slavery and polygamy, the twins of barbarism.

Abraham. When God commanded Abraham to sacrifice Issac, He said to offer "Isaac, thy only son ,which thou lovest", though Ishamael (by his concubine Hagar), was the 1st born. God did not command Abraham to take Hagar to wife, Sarah did. The rest of his sons by concubines, he sent away.

A certain Levite had a concubine that literally got copulated to death while she and the certain Levite were travelling through the territory of Benjamin. Wonderful story, the tribe of Benjamin almost gets wiped out by civil war, and they had arrangements made by the victorious tribes to kidnap their daughters for wives so they wouldn't become an extinct tribe.

Hast thou gone unto my father's concubine... If the father hadn't had one, there wouldn't be any to "go unto" in the first place. That goes for David/Absalom too that he went unto on the rooftop of the palace for all to see. Just great, like the rest of your scriptural examples.

But anyway, there isn't really a good, righteous example of having concubines in the scriptures you mentioned, and they were not put in context
Remember 1 + 7 = 8?

Soloman had: 3 And he had seven hundred wives, princesses, and three hundred concubines. That is some math.

Dlight
captain of 100

Post by Dlight »

The book of Mormon says David and Solomon were wicked to have many wives.

Jacob 1:15
15 And now it came to pass that the people of Nephi, under the reign of the second king, began to grow hard in their hearts, and indulge themselves somewhat in wicked practices, such as like unto David of old desiring many wives and concubines, and also Solomon, his son.

And in Jacob 2:

24 Behold, David and Solomon truly had many wives and concubines, which thing was abominable before me, saith the Lord.

Yet the Doctrine and Covenants seems to directly contradict what's written in the Book of Mormon:

1 ​Verily, thus saith the Lord unto you my servant Joseph, that inasmuch as you have inquired of my hand to know and understand wherein I, the Lord, justified my servants Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob, as also Moses, David and Solomon, my servants, as touching the principle ​​and doctrine of their having many ​​​wives​ and ​​​concubines​.

So which is it?

I'LLMAKEYAFAMOUS
captain of 100

Post by I'LLMAKEYAFAMOUS »

Dlight wrote:The book of Mormon says David and Solomon were wicked to have many wives.

15 And now it came to pass that the people of Nephi, under the reign of the second king, began to grow hard in their hearts, and indulge themselves somewhat in wicked practices, such as like unto David of old desiring many wives and concubines, and also Solomon, his son.

And in Jacob 2:

24 Behold, David and Solomon truly had many wives and concubines, which thing was abominable before me, saith the Lord.

Yet the Doctrine and Covenants seems to directly contradict what's written in the Book of Mormon:

1 ​Verily, thus saith the Lord unto you my servant Joseph, that inasmuch as you have inquired of my hand to know and understand wherein I, the Lord, justified my servants Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob, as also Moses, David and Solomon, my servants, as touching the principle ​​and doctrine of their having many ​​​wives​ and ​​​concubines​.

So which is it?
Good question, and I would like to hear some possible explanations. In the same section we read:

132:38 David also received many wives and concubines, and also Solomon and Moses my servants, as also many others of my servants, from the beginning of creation until this time; and in nothing did they sin save in those things which they received not of me.

I thought maybe this meant that he took some wives and concubines he shouldn't have and those were the sin referred to in the BoM, but the next verse puts that theory to rest since it states David's only sin was regarding Uriah and his wife.

39 David’s wives and concubines were given unto him of me, by the hand of Nathan, my servant, and others of the prophets who had the keys of this power; and in none of these things did he sin against me save in the case of Uriah and his wife

simpleton
captain of 1,000

Post by simpleton »

Which is it? ... most men say the latter , and most women say the former, as I have never met a man yet that doesn't believe in polygamy in one form or another at least secretly in his heart.... if men would be honest....

Joseph Smith... Conspiracy of Nauvoo
“They accuse me of polygamy,
and of being a false Prophet, and many other things which I do not now remember; but I am no
false Prophet: I am no impostor: I have had no dark revelations. I have had no revelations from
the devil; I made no revelations; I have thought nothing up of myself: the same God that has
thus far dictated to me and directed me and strengthened me in this work, gave me this revelation
and commandment on celestial and plural marriage, and the same God commanded me to obey it.
He said to me that unless I accepted it and introduced it, and practiced it, I, together with my
people, would be damned and cut off from this time henceforth. And they say if I do so, they
will kill me! Oh, what shall I do? If I do not practice it, and urge it, they say they will kill me,
and I know they will. But,” said he, “we have got to observe it. It is an eternal principle and was
given by way of commandment and not by way of instruction.”
It will be seen from these outbursts of his soul what a conflict was going on in his mind.
The agony that he endured can only be imagined by those who knew his sensitive and generous
spirit. Persecution and imprisonment form the hands of an enemy would be passed by almost
unnoticed when compared with these murderous thrusts from the daggers of alienated friends.
Death, to a man who was so familiar with the unseen world and the happiness to be enjoyed
there, was stripped of its terrors. His fear of simply losing his life caused him little anxiety. But
his whole soul was in the work which the Lord had given him to do, and such bloodthirsty
opposition to a commandment of God among his Brethren caused the greatest anxiety and grief.
His greatest trials are no doubt his deepest from our view.

Rachael
Captain of whatever

Post by Rachael »

Dlight wrote:The book of Mormon says David and Solomon were wicked to have many wives.

And in Jacob 2:

So which is it?
Sec132 is BS. Just impuning Isaac with polygamy in the first verse ought to raise red flags because Isaac wasn't a polygamist. That it wasn't published until JS was dead for 32 years, and the D&C in his lifetime (any edition before 1876) forbade it, doesn't seem to raise flags either for many.

Just many have these pious fantasies of wanting the reward of eternal adultery for their enduring the pains of monogamy in mortality.

Melissa
captain of 1,000

Post by Melissa »

Polygamy discussions are generally all the same rehashing of same points. I for one am starting to get nauseated at the c9ntinued bringing it up. Don't we have much better things to be doing? Like hey, go do your home teaching - I hear the numbers for that suck. Or go be an active dad/mom to your kids, and uplift and support your spouse. Go to the temple, read your scriptures, pray for forgiveness, clean up your life. Work on your salvation not on trying to prove something that already happened.

But hey, that could just be me...but it's starting to get annoying much like adults who grow out of young teenager interests and discussions.

Seriously....sstop wishing or proving something that obviously is not ideally desired or we all would be happy with the idea. Go be good and then be better in all the things you have in your life now.

Separatist
captain of 1,000

Post by Separatist »

Rachael wrote:

And in Jacob 2:

So which is it?
Sec132 is BS. Just impuning Isaac with polygamy in the first verse ought to raise red flags because Isaac wasn't a polygamist. That it wasn't published until JS was dead for 32 years, and the D&C in his lifetime (any edition before 1876) forbade it, doesn't seem to raise flags either for many.
Good catch. Even wikipedia nails it: "Isaac is unique among the patriarchs for remaining faithful to his wife, and for not having concubines."

These are two interesting reads,
Here's the Plain Truth About OLD TESTAMENT POLYGAMY
http://giveshare.org/family/polygamy.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Didn't God support polygamy by offering David more wives?
http://lavistachurchofchrist.org/LVansw ... 02-14.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Rachael wrote:Just many have these pious fantasies of wanting the reward of eternal adultery for their enduring the pains of monogamy in mortality.
Straight to the heart of the matter there methinks.

rewcox
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by rewcox »

Melissa wrote:Polygamy discussions are generally all the same rehashing of same points. I for one am starting to get nauseated at the c9ntinued bringing it up. Don't we have much better things to be doing? Like hey, go do your home teaching - I hear the numbers for that suck. Or go be an active dad/mom to your kids, and uplift and support your spouse. Go to the temple, read your scriptures, pray for forgiveness, clean up your life. Work on your salvation not on trying to prove something that already happened.

But hey, that could just be me...but it's starting to get annoying much like adults who grow out of young teenager interests and discussions.

Seriously....sstop wishing or proving something that obviously is not ideally desired or we all would be happy with the idea. Go be good and then be better in all the things you have in your life now.
Home Teaching done...Check! :)

rewcox
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by rewcox »

Rachael wrote:Sec132 is BS. Just impuning Isaac with polygamy in the first verse ought to raise red flags because Isaac wasn't a polygamist. That it wasn't published until JS was dead for 32 years, and the D&C in his lifetime (any edition before 1876) forbade it, doesn't seem to raise flags either for many.

Just many have these pious fantasies of wanting the reward of eternal adultery for their enduring the pains of monogamy in mortality.
According to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints position:
Official Declaration 1
The Bible and the Book of Mormon teach that monogamy is God’s standard for marriage unless He declares otherwise (see 2 Samuel 12:7–8 and Jacob 2:27, 30). Following a revelation to Joseph Smith, the practice of plural marriage was instituted among Church members in the early 1840s (see section 132). From the 1860s to the 1880s, the United States government passed laws to make this religious practice illegal. These laws were eventually upheld by the U.S. Supreme Court. After receiving revelation, President Wilford Woodruff issued the following Manifesto, which was accepted by the Church as authoritative and binding on October 6, 1890. This led to the end of the practice of plural marriage in the Church.
Looking at the past, the Old Testament confirms God's acceptance of polygamy when He allows it:
2 Samuel 12
7 ¶And Nathan said to David, Thou art the man. Thus saith the Lord God of Israel, I aanointed thee king over Israel, and I delivered thee out of the hand of Saul;

8 And I gave thee thy master’s house, and thy master’s wives into thy bosom, and gave thee the house of Israel and of Judah; and if that had been too little, I would moreover have given unto thee such and such things.

9 Wherefore hast thou despised the commandment of the Lord, to do evil in his sight? thou hast killed Uriah the Hittite with the sword, and hast taken his wife to be thy wife, and hast slain him with the sword of the children of Ammon.
While David was justified in having plural wives, he violated commandments, first by having adultery with Uriah's wife, Bathsheba, but worse, by putting Uriah in a position where Uriah was killed.

Interestingly (that's a big word) the baby born from the adultery became sick and died. We know that the baby goes to the Celestial Kingdom.

Then David, now married to Bathsheba, gets her pregnant again. This time Solomon is born, who Nathan called Jedidiah. And the Lord loves Soloman. God was involved in what was going on.
Jacob 2:27 Wherefore, my brethren, hear me, and hearken to the word of the Lord: For there shall not any man among you have save it be one wife; and concubines he shall have none;

30 For if I will, saith the Lord of Hosts, raise up seed unto me, I will command my people; otherwise they shall hearken unto these things.
From the past we see that polygamy was justified by God at certain times. It was justified in the early days of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. It is not justified today.

It is also interesting that the United States would make laws making polygamy illegal, yet today the United States has made same-gender sex legal including same-sex marriage. Go figure.

Separatist
captain of 1,000

Post by Separatist »

rewcox wrote:
Looking at the past, the Old Testament confirms God's acceptance of polygamy when He allows it:
2 Samuel 12
7 ¶And Nathan said to David, Thou art the man. Thus saith the Lord God of Israel, I aanointed thee king over Israel, and I delivered thee out of the hand of Saul;

8 And I gave thee thy master’s house, and thy master’s wives into thy bosom, and gave thee the house of Israel and of Judah; and if that had been too little, I would moreover have given unto thee such and such things.

9 Wherefore hast thou despised the commandment of the Lord, to do evil in his sight? thou hast killed Uriah the Hittite with the sword, and hast taken his wife to be thy wife, and hast slain him with the sword of the children of Ammon.
http://lavistachurchofchrist.org/LVansw ... 02-14.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

rewcox
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by rewcox »

Separatist wrote:
rewcox wrote:
2 Samuel 12

Your link is just someone's view. Scriptural reality is that Abraham had wives and concubines, that Jacob/Israel had wives and concubines, that Jacob 2:30 states God can justify polygamy when it is His will, and that polygamy was practiced in the early years of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints.

By the way, David and Solomon weren't the only Jews who practiced polygamy. Also Muslims practiced polygamy, and can still practice it.

Separatist
captain of 1,000

Post by Separatist »

Here's the Plain Truth About OLD TESTAMENT POLYGAMY
http://giveshare.org/family/polygamy.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

rewcox
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by rewcox »

Separatist wrote:Here's the Plain Truth About OLD TESTAMENT POLYGAMY
So what Abraham did with Hagar was adultery? Sorry, that doesn't pass common sense, considering the Abrahamic Covenant is used by God to cover His children on earth.

People try all kinds of ways to preach a man made philosophy, but it doesn't fly.

Separatist
captain of 1,000

Post by Separatist »

Was it God sanctioned marriage? Looks like Sarah and Abraham acted on their own. So who then is making stuff up?

The writer is putting this episode into real life, human decision-making context. Perhaps their faith wasn't so great in that moment and they acted in the best way they knew how. Really shows how loving and forgiving God is.

Dlight
captain of 100

Post by Dlight »

Separatist wrote:Was it God sanctioned marriage? Looks like Sarah and Abraham acted on their own. So who then is making stuff up?

The writer is putting this episode into real life, human decision-making context. Perhaps their faith wasn't so great in that moment and they acted in the best way they knew how. Really shows how loving and forgiving God is.
Abraham didn't have several wives and concubines, he took a 2nd wife when his first was barren. But the Book of Mormon does seem to create an allowance for polygamy in certain situations depending on your interpretation of this scripture:

Jacob 2:30 For if I will, saith the Lord of Hosts, raise up seed unto me, I will command my people; otherwise they shall hearken unto these things.

But he does specifically go out of his way to condemn it for Solomon and David:
Jacob 2:24 Behold, David and Solomon truly had many wives and concubines, which thing was abominable before me, saith the Lord.

As I mentioned earlier the D&C seems to contradict this directly:

Its also interesting that Issac is included since he only had one wife, and Moses may have had a second wife that he took during his time away from his family but it is debated by scholars.

All of the quotes of Joseph about being commanded to engage in plural marriage are second hand account and hearsay.

If Joseph Smith was a practicing Polygamist he was willing to lie about it. HE gave a whole sermon against it a month before his death and said:

""I had not been married scarcely five minutes, and made one proclamation of the Gospel, before it was reported that I had seven wives.... I am innocent of all these charges.... What a thing it is for a man to be accused of committing adultery, and having seven wives, when I can only find one. I am the same man, and as innocent as I was fourteen years ago; and I can prove them all perjurers."

"A man asked me whether the commandment [revelation] was given that a man may have seven wives; and now the new prophet has charged me with adultery.... Wilson Law [William's brother] also swears that I told him I was guilty of adultery.... I have rattled chains before in a dungeon for truth's sake. I am innocent of all these charges, and you can bear witness of my innocence, for you know me yourselves.... What a thing it is for a man to be accused of committing adultery, and having seven wives, when I can only find one."

From everything I have studied my conclusion is that either Joseph Smith did not practice Polygamy or did for a short time and then realized this was a deception and repented of it.

Thankfully I have a testimony that God loves his children. "For where two or three gather in my name, there am I with them." I believe God sends out his spirit on his children who faithfully seek to serve him. Regardless of the missteps of the early church I have faith that God can send the spirit of revelation on all who seek to do his will.

rewcox
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by rewcox »

Dlight wrote:Abraham didn't have several wives and concubines, he took a 2nd wife when his first was barren.

""I had not been married scarcely five minutes, and made one proclamation of the Gospel, before it was reported that I had seven wives.... I am innocent of all these charges.... What a thing it is for a man to be accused of committing adultery, and having seven wives, when I can only find one. I am the same man, and as innocent as I was fourteen years ago; and I can prove them all perjurers."
Abraham did have concubines. How do you know that Isaac didn't have more than 1 wife, or a concubine?

Your quote from Joseph Smith makes no sense. He married Emma. Then 5 minutes later someone reported he had 7 wives?

The plates had not been translated yet. Something smells in Denmark don't you think.

I have a testimony, not only of Christ, also Joseph Smith, and also Brigham Young.

Dlight
captain of 100

Post by Dlight »

rewcox wrote:
Dlight wrote:Abraham didn't have several wives and concubines, he took a 2nd wife when his first was barren.

Abraham did have concubines. How do you know that Isaac didn't have more than 1 wife, or a concubine?

Your quote from Joseph Smith makes no sense. He married Emma. Then 5 minutes later someone reported he had 7 wives?

The plates had not been translated yet. Something smells in Denmark don't you think.

I have a testimony, not only of Christ, also Joseph Smith, and also Brigham Young.

I think Joseph was speaking passionately with a bit of hyperbole...like he sometimes did. He probably didn't literally mean exactly 5 minutes later, it was meant to imply that people began speading rumours quickly, but it's a legit quote. I could give you plenty more. He denied practicing it to his death, and so did his wife and family.

You do your own research read the facts and both sides arrive at your own conclusion. I'm not trying to damage your testimony of Young or the Church but I admit initially it was a tough pill to swallow, but I know God reaches out to his children in spite of things like this...I think you can have a testimony of the Church and believe polygamy was wrong. If god ever tells me it was right and was from him I'd easily accept it.

rewcox
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by rewcox »

Dlight wrote:
rewcox wrote:

I think Joseph was speaking passionately with a bit of hyperbole...like he sometimes did. He probably didn't literally mean exactly 5 minutes later, it was meant to imply that people began speading rumours quickly, but it's a legit quote. I could give you plenty more. He denied practicing it to his death, and so did his wife and family.

You do your own research read the facts and both sides arrive at your own conclusion. I'm not trying to damage your testimony of Young or the Church but I admit initially it was a tough pill to swallow, but I know God reaches out to his children in spite of things like this...I think you can have a testimony of the Church and believe polygamy was wrong. If god ever tells me it was right and was from him I'd easily accept it.
Already received and confirmed.

Rachael
Captain of whatever

Post by Rachael »

rewcox wrote:
Rachael wrote:Concubines were marriages to women in bondage. Bondage means slavery. Slavery and polygamy, the twins of barbarism.

Remember 1 + 7 = 8?

Soloman had: 3 And he had seven hundred wives, princesses, and three hundred concubines. That is some math.
OK. With that math, it would take more than three years to have a sexual relation with my husband if it had been King Solomon. I wouldn't give a shittake mushroom about that now at my age, but in the days when I was young, hormonal, and may had a chance to catch Solomon's eye, like Bathsheba did to David...no, I was too horny to wait a leap year for my turn. That is probably why the servants of the harems were eunuchs. To keep the unfulfilled wives from seducing them, rather than the other way around.

Now if in the afterlife, you can have all these wives and concubines and have omnipresent sex with them at the same time because of some exalted priesthood power, I might come around to your way of thinking. But as it stands, every example of polygamy is unhappy for a woman in some aspect. Its not just the sex, its the betrayal. Its adultery. Its like the anguish God feels when we worship idols instead of Him. Because He compares it adultery. So we, as a church that is His bride, should look for to an eternity of this, after He set the example of monogamy in the Garden of Eden?

Rachael
Captain of whatever

Post by Rachael »

Dlight wrote:....I think you can have a testimony of the Church and believe polygamy was wrong. If god ever tells me it was right and was from him I'd easily accept it.
God and the Church are not one in the same. There are 7 examples of churches in the book of Revelation. Not all get good report cards. But there are 100s of schisms in the "Church" (LDS) after JS was murdered. But everyone of those schism members are positively sure their message is from directly Christ, because each one is still using the arm of flesh leader to be their vicar of Christ. The church can be you, not because youre a member of a corporation.

If you want to justify polygamy, justify Lot and his daughters' incest. Just because Ruth was a product of that, then Jesus Christ, doesn't mean its OK to have sexual relations with your daughters--- this goes out to all the lustful men that can't abide monogamy for eternity. Its twisted. So is the logic that defends/justifies polygamy, IMO.