Does this truth apply universally?

For discussing the Church, Gospel of Jesus Christ, Mormonism, etc.
Amonhi
captain of 1,000

Does this truth apply universally?

Post by Amonhi »

Does this truth that was taught by Peter and supported by the apostles apply to the leaders of the church including themselves?
29 ¶Then Peter and the other apostles answered and said, We ought to obey God rather than men.
Of course this would only come into play if God through the spirit was instructing you contrary to what you were given by your Bishop, Stake President, apostle or Prophet. If we asked the prophet Peter if this principle applied to him as well as other men, what would he have said? yes, or no?

Peace,
Amonhi

Original_Intent
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: Does this truth apply universally?

Post by Original_Intent »

Obviously yes.

Sarah
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Sarah »

Amonhi wrote:Does this truth that was taught by Peter and supported by the apostles apply to the leaders of the church including themselves?
29 ¶Then Peter and the other apostles answered and said, We ought to obey God rather than men.
Of course this would only come into play if God through the spirit was instructing you contrary to what you were given by your Bishop, Stake President, apostle or Prophet. If we asked the prophet Peter if this principle applied to him as well as other men, what would he have said? yes, or no?

Peace,
Amonhi
Well if we take this literally, then we shouldn't follow the teachings in the scriptures, because they were all written by "men." I think the message is, that we shouldn't obey teachings and ideas that originate with men (or devils). Obviously God speaks through angels and the Holy Ghost, to men, and he leads his flock or his Church through men who receive revelation for the Church. Sec. 46 talks about how not every one is given the same spiritual gifts. We are to help and edify each other. Each is not their own spiritual island, but we are organized into a Church where the Lord delegates his power and authority which is sanctioned to guide and direct his flock.

Amonhi
captain of 1,000

Post by Amonhi »

Sarah wrote:
Amonhi wrote:Does this truth that was taught by Peter and supported by the apostles apply to the leaders of the church including themselves?

Peace,
Amonhi
Well if we take this literally, then we shouldn't follow the teachings in the scriptures, because they were all written by "men." I think the message is, that we shouldn't obey teachings and ideas that originate with men (or devils). Obviously God speaks through angels and the Holy Ghost, to men, and he leads his flock or his Church through men who receive revelation for the Church.
Of course. But this does not mean that the organization acts for God in all things, does everything right or teaches truth in every instance. There is no promise or guarantee that following any man or set of men will lead you to God or get you to the CK. There is however this promise:
Doctrine and Covenants 84:47
47 And every one that hearkeneth to the voice of the Spirit cometh unto God, even the Father.

Romans 8:14
14 For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God.
If you follow God, will God at times encourage you to do as men instruct?
If you follow men, will men at times encourage you to do as God instructs?

The answer to both of these questions is "Yes, of course". So, following God does not negate learning from God through men or angels. But it is always God's voice we are listening for, not men's.

Following God does not mean that you throw out anything done by His servants or angels. God speaks through the Holy Ghost. It is His voice. When angels speak by the power of the Holy Ghost, they are speaking for God using His voice. When men speak by the power of the Holy Ghost, then they are speaking for God using his voice. When they are not, then they are not.

The question is, do we follow men, priesthood, churches or do we follow God through the witness of the spirit to us. This question only comes to a head and becomes relevant when the voice of men differs from the voice of God. When the spirit instructs contrary to the instructions of men, do we go with God who speaks through His spirit or men who speak through their positions of authority? Peter says go with the spirit. Does that counsel apply to to all men including himself?
Sec. 46 talks about how not every one is given the same spiritual gifts. We are to help and edify each other. Each is not their own spiritual island, but we are organized into a Church where the Lord delegates his power and authority which is sanctioned to guide and direct his flock.
God never gave away the role or responsibility to lead his own flock. We are told that if someone is teaching us and not by the spirit, then they are not of God.
17 Verily I say unto you, he that is ordained of me and sent forth to preach the word of truth by the Comforter, in the Spirit of truth, doth he preach it by the Spirit of truth or some other way?
18 And if it be by some other way it is not of God.- D&C 50
If someone speaks by the power of the holy Ghost, that power carries it into the heart of the hearer and the hearer feels the words spoken with power.
2 Nephi 33:1
1 And now I, Nephi, cannot write all the things which were taught among my people; neither am I mighty in writing, like unto speaking; for when a man speaketh by the power of the Holy Ghost the power of the Holy Ghost carrieth it unto the hearts of the children of men.
His voice is the spirit and his sheep hear his voice, even when spoken by others.
Doctrine and Covenants 75:1
1 Verily, verily, I say unto you, I who speak even by the voice of my Spirit, even Alpha and Omega, your Lord and your God—

Doctrine and Covenants 97:1
1 Verily I say unto you my friends, I speak unto you with my voice, even the voice of my Spirit, that I may show unto you my will concerning your brethren in the land of Zion, many of whom are truly humble and are seeking diligently to learn wisdom and to find truth.

Doctrine and Covenants 88:66
66 Behold, that which you hear is as the voice of one crying in the wilderness—in the wilderness, because you cannot see him—my voice, because my voice is Spirit; my Spirit is truth; truth abideth and hath no end; and if it be in you it shall abound.

Doctrine and Covenants 18:35
35 For it is my voice which speaketh them unto you; for they are given by my Spirit unto you, and by my power you can read them one to another; and save it were by my power you could not have them;
If we are listening to someone teach, we should only receive that which is spoken of by the spirit to our hearts.
19 And again, he that receiveth the word of truth, doth he receive it by the Spirit of truth or some other way?
20 If it be some other way it is not of God.
21 Therefore, why is it that ye cannot understand and know, that he that receiveth the word by the Spirit of truth receiveth it as it is preached by the Spirit of truth?
22 Wherefore, he that preacheth and he that receiveth, understand one another, and both are edified and rejoice together.
23 And that which doth not edify is not of God, and is darkness. - D&C 50
Those who cannot hear the Lord's voice, which is the spirit, are not his sheep and are not his church and will not be saved.
21 And he that will hear my voice shall be my sheep; and him shall ye receive into the church, and him will I also receive.
28 Therefore I say unto you, that he that will not hear my voice, the same shall ye not receive into my church, for him I will not receive at the last day. - Mosiah 26
Following prophet who are speaking for God IS following God. Prophets do not always speak for God. The only way to tell is by the spirit.

Peace,
Amonhi

Jamescm
captain of 100

Post by Jamescm »

Yes, we are to obey God in all things. We are all disciples of Christ, aren't we? Leaders and lay-members alike.

Yes, men wrote the scriptures. It seems short of reason to suppose "men wrote scriptures, so we should throw them out." It is God who commands us repeatedly to study the scriptures, after all.

Be careful; if a sign points you the way and you spend too much time thinking about flaws with the sign, you'll eventually convince yourself that the sign is so flawed that you ought not to even travel in the direction it points.

Amonhi
captain of 1,000

Post by Amonhi »

Jamescm wrote:Yes, we are to obey God in all things. We are all disciples of Christ, aren't we? Leaders and lay-members alike.

Yes, men wrote the scriptures. It seems short of reason to suppose "men wrote scriptures, so we should throw them out." It is God who commands us repeatedly to study the scriptures, after all.

Be careful; if a sign points you the way and you spend too much time thinking about flaws with the sign, you'll eventually convince yourself that the sign is so flawed that you ought not to even travel in the direction it points.
LOL, loved that last line the most! Good call...

Peace,
Amonhi