Prophets & Apostles say a TEST is Coming

For discussing the Church, Gospel of Jesus Christ, Mormonism, etc.
LdsMarco
captain of 100

Prophets & Apostles say a TEST is Coming

Post by LdsMarco »

"Men’s hearts failing them for fear, and for looking after those things which are coming on the earth: for the powers of heaven shall be shaken." Luke 21:26

I often wonder what this TEST may be. I think we can all think of many tests ... but what is the last of ALL TESTS? As for me - I think it may be the test of the man of sin emerging in the Church. But what if I'm wrong? Perhaps I am. One of the grand tests I think will be when men's heart will fail them. Wondering where might God be when things get real tough. As you know - Many members are looking forward of a "call-out". As for me - I'm not quite sure if that will ever be. The only call-out I know of is when the bridegroom calls out his elect. I don't believe the saints will escape from any calamities/persecutions. It all seems too easy. I believe we all need to be tested as Abraham was.

That being said. What if one of these tests is NO CALL-OUT? This George Albert Smith vision is becoming more clear to me. I think we might be seeing a nuclear attack very soon because of all the lies, abominations, murdering etc., acts we have committed as a nation. If the Book of Mormon is true -- then I think we are heading for something big.

I've had a couple of dreams of a war happening in our soil. It was very vivid. I can only hope that I am ready for what's coming.

carbon dioxide
captain of 100

Re: Prophets & Apostles say a TEST is Coming

Post by carbon dioxide »

I don't believe their is one test. Everyone is tested in their own way as we have all own unique weaknesses and strengths.

FTC
captain of 100

Post by FTC »

If the parable of the Ten Virgins is supposed to be the definitive lesson about the coming of the Lord, the Lord didn't do any calling out at all. He called them in. And those that arrived, and were prepared got to come inside and be part of the party.

lundbaek
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by lundbaek »

I concur with carbon dioxide: " Everyone is tested in their own way as we have all own unique weaknesses and strengths."

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

When the whole world is in commotion, will we be able to walk a straight line? Or should I say, a straight path to the Tree of Life?
200w8.gif
200w8.gif (1.02 MiB) Viewed 2690 times

kittycat51
captain of 1,000

Post by kittycat51 »

For anyone looking for the correct reference of President Monson's talk "Are We Prepared", it was not a General Conference Talk. You can find it in the September 2014 Ensign. https://www.lds.org/ensign/2014/09/are- ... d?lang=eng" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Lexew1899
captain of 1,000

Post by Lexew1899 »

Maybe it will be a 100 question scantron test given about Bible and Book of Mormon trivia?

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

If quizzes are quizzicle, what are tests?

Silver
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Silver »

LdsMarco wrote:"Men’s hearts failing them for fear, and for looking after those things which are coming on the earth: for the powers of heaven shall be shaken." Luke 21:26
Marco,
1. Do you or someone close to you own the TRUTH Matters channel on YouTube?
2. Do you receive some sort of remuneration each time someone clicks on one of the TRUTH Matters videos on YouTube?

Sarah
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Sarah »

FTC wrote:If the parable of the Ten Virgins is supposed to be the definitive lesson about the coming of the Lord, the Lord didn't do any calling out at all. He called them in. And those that arrived, and were prepared got to come inside and be part of the party.
Right, but where is the "party" going to be?

seekingtruth
captain of 50

Post by seekingtruth »

Sarah wrote:
FTC wrote:If the parable of the Ten Virgins is supposed to be the definitive lesson about the coming of the Lord, the Lord didn't do any calling out at all. He called them in. And those that arrived, and were prepared got to come inside and be part of the party.

Look inside yourself for "Know ye not that ye are the temple of God, and that the Spirit of God dwelleth in you?"

EmmaLee
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by EmmaLee »

Silver wrote:Marco,
Not to speak for Marco, but yes, he owns the Truth Matters channel.

Silver
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Silver »

EmmaLee wrote:
Silver wrote:Marco,
Not to speak for Marco, but yes, he owns the Truth Matters channel.
Perhaps he revealed that in a previous post, but to me that's a TRUTH that Matters. He's pushing videos here that could potentially result in income for him, if I understand that YouTube channel business properly. How about a full disclosure for us, sir?

EmmaLee
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by EmmaLee »

Yes, he did state his ownership in another thread - not sure which one off the top of my head, but it was a few days ago, I believe.

lundbaek
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by lundbaek »

It looks to me like the "test" is already happening. A comment by Elder Dallin Oaks during the Religious Freedom Conference this past Saturday evening about the Church having supported legislation in Utah that seems to infringe on "the right and control of property" has some of my LDS friends and acquaintances in the freedom battle concerned that the Church leadership is compromising an important principle in order to create goodwill with groups that engage in immoral actions.

And the J. Reuben Clark Law Society recently gave now-retired U.S. Sen. Harry Reid, D-Nevada, the Distinguished Public Service Award at its annual fireside in the LDS Conference Center.

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

lundbaek wrote:It looks to me like the "test" is already happening. A comment by Elder Dallin Oaks during the Religious Freedom Conference this past Saturday evening about the Church having supported legislation in Utah that seems to infringe on "the right and control of property" has some of my LDS friends and acquaintances in the freedom battle concerned that the Church leadership is compromising an important principle in order to create goodwill with groups that engage in immoral actions.

And the J. Reuben Clark Law Society recently gave now-retired U.S. Sen. Harry Reid, D-Nevada, the Distinguished Public Service Award at its annual fireside in the LDS Conference Center.
Is the implication here that the church is helping in the effort to further destroy the Constitution and are looking the other way when it comes to Harry Reid and all his evil acts and calling patriots "domestic terrorists", coupled with the circumstances around the Bundy's and the Hammonds getting treated like crap by a crooked government, not to mention Lavoy Finicum?

brianj
captain of 1,000

Post by brianj »

LdsMarco wrote:I don't believe the saints will escape from any calamities/persecutions. It all seems too easy. I believe we all need to be tested as Abraham was.
In the 2002 Doctrine and Covenants student manual, section Enrichment H The Last Days, they cite a statement from Joseph Smith that the Saints won't escape all of the latter-day judgements. If we were to endure all of them, wouldn't Joseph had said the Saints won't escape any of those judgements?

And there's a statement from another church leader, I think it was Brigham Young but can't state who it was or quote it verbatim, that states the Saints won't escape all the coming tribulations but the faithful will escape the worst of these judgements.

Yes, we all need to be tested and purified. But those who are faithful until those times come will have already made great strides toward proving themselves and won't need as much refining as those who need to be humbled.

Alaris
Captain of 144,000

Post by Alaris »

lundbaek wrote:It looks to me like the "test" is already happening. A comment by Elder Dallin Oaks during the Religious Freedom Conference this past Saturday evening about the Church having supported legislation in Utah that seems to infringe on "the right and control of property" has some of my LDS friends and acquaintances in the freedom battle concerned that the Church leadership is compromising an important principle in order to create goodwill with groups that engage in immoral actions.

Was Elder Oaks for or against the measure?

lundbaek
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by lundbaek »

No way do I believe that the church is helping in the effort to further destroy the Constitution. Certainly not, after Elder Oaks said "But I see it as a responsibility for well-educated citizens, members of the bar and opinion leaders to be acquainted with the United States Constitution and its guarantees." Nor do I see it as a blunder of some sort, even though the "Brethren" may seem to be on the wrong side of the principle of freedom to manage your own property and believe that members don't have the fundamental right to discriminate on their own property. Could it be that what we consider to be our private property really belongs to the Lord and we are merely stewards administering it under His direction ?

To Alaris' question immediately above, I can only assume Elder Oaks was for the measure

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

lundbaek wrote:No way do I believe that the church is helping in the effort to further destroy the Constitution. Certainly not, after Elder Oaks said "But I see it as a responsibility for well-educated citizens, members of the bar and opinion leaders to be acquainted with the United States Constitution and its guarantees." Nor do I see it as a blunder of some sort, even though the "Brethren" may seem to be on the wrong side of the principle of freedom to manage your own property and believe that members don't have the fundamental right to discriminate on their own property. Could it be that what we consider to be our private property really belongs to the Lord and we are merely stewards administering it under His direction ?

To Alaris' question immediately above, I can only assume Elder Oaks was for the measure
I just find it strange that the church would pat Harry Reid on the back and seemingly ignoring the evil acts of that man. Makes no sense whatsoever.
Prophets in past times have called the saints to repentance...now they pat people on the back and say good job? Or do I have a short in my wires?

Earthling
captain of 10

Post by Earthling »

The test has been going on for a while - it is the hardest of tests - one of prosperity & vanity. When I compiled my books on the last days I noticed the phrase being used multiple times "a test, a test is coming" so started compiling those quotes separate to understand it. I have 4 pages of quotes on it. Here are some key ones:

JD, Vol.4, Pg.141, Heber C. Kimball, December 21, 1856
Why pursue this course? To cleanse Israel and qualify and prepare them, for there is going to be a test, A TEST, A TEST; and if you do not forsake your wickedness you will see sorrow, as the children of Israel did in Jerusalem. Do you believe it? If you will cleanse your hearts and purify them, and call on your God, He will tell you that I speak the truth.

Pres. Lee affirms the test is still in the future in 1965:
Harold B. Lee, Conference Report, October 1965, Pg.128
President Heber C. Kimball, shortly after the Saints had arrived here in the mountains -- and some, I suppose, were somewhat gloating over the fact that they had triumphed for a temporary period over their enemies -- had this to say: ". . . we think we are secure here in the chambers of the everlasting hills where we can close those few doors of the canyons against mobs and persecutors, the wicked and the vile, who have always beset us with violence and robbery, but I want to say to you, my brethren, the time is coming when we will be mixed up in these now peaceful valleys to that extent that it will be difficult to tell the face of a Saint from the face of an enemy to the people of God. Then, brethren, look out for the great sieve, for there will be a great sifting time, and many will fall- for I say unto you there is a test, a TEST, a TEST coming, and who will be able to stand?

Daniel H. Wells, JD, Vol.19, Pg.369, June 1, 1878
There is an opposition to the Lord having on the earth a people, called by his name and doing his will. It has been so from the beginning. The Lord never had a people who were received with open arms by the world, admired, cherished and respected; on the contrary they have been persecuted or totally destroyed from off the earth. The wicked have invariably prevailed over the good; it might almost be said that the first bad man killed the first good man. The Latter-day Saints have had the same experience to pass through, and when a time of comparative peace has come around, as it has sometimes, they are apt to ask, "What is the matter? Have we lost our faith, that the Adversary should thus let us alone?" There will come a time, however, in the history of the Saints, when they will be tried with peace, prosperity, popularity and riches.

Adam S. Bennion, Conference Report, April 1954, Pg.96-97
As you read the history of the pioneers, it becomes increasingly clear with every page that you read, that they endured adversity and hardship. They could stand persecution; they could bear up under abuse; they could recover from the infliction of all kinds of harmful hatreds. That record is clear. The question before our generation is: Can we and our children endure prosperity and ease?

Neal A. Maxwell, All These Things Shall Give Thee Experience, p. 41.
There will be some tests that will be collective in nature as well as individual. President Harold B. Lee referred to the contrast between the tests in the early days of the Church and the tests of the latter period of this dispensation, which he characterized as ‘a period of what we might call sophistication,’ a period of time constituting a ‘rather severe test.’ This test, said President Lee, would be a special test for the youth of the Church -- exceeding any test of affluence that previous generations of youth have passed through. (Instructor, June 1965, p. 217.)”

George Q. Cannon, Journal of Discourses, Vol.15, p.299 - p.300, January 12, 1873
But there is something that I dread more than active persecution. We have endured persecutions which have driven us from our home . . .We have endured this, and we know that we can endure it, and live in the midst of it, for we have been tested. But we have not yet endured prosperity, we have not yet been tested in this crucible, which is one of the severest to which a people can be subjected. We have not been tested with abundance of property and wealth lavished upon us; and here, my brethren and sisters, is the point against which we have to guard more than all others, for there is more danger today to the Zion of God in the wealth that is pouring into and increasing in the hands of the Latter-day Saints, than in all the armies that have ever been mustered against us, or all the mobs that have been formed for our overthrow, from the organization of the Church until today. There is danger not in mines alone, not in the increase of strangers in our midst, not in the seducing influences which attend the presence of some of them, but in the fact that we ourselves are growing wealthy, and that it is natural for us to become attached to wealth, and for the mind of man to be allured by it, and by the influence which it brings. There is danger in this, and I look for the same results to follow this condition of affairs that formerly followed mobocracy. The mobs came upon us, and they cleansed from among us the hypocrites and cowards, and those who could not endure. The Gospel of Jesus Christ, which brought persecutions, and called upon men to forsake houses and lands and everything that was dear to them, and to push out into the wilderness, had no attraction for the classes I have named, in the early history of the Church; and I expect that there will be attraction for the classes I have named, in the early history of the Church; and I expect that there will be attractions stronger than the Gospel to hypocrites and those weak in the faith in the present phase of our history, and that influences now operating will produce the same results as we have witnessed, that is, to cleanse the people of God. We have, therefore, at the present time, that at our doors, which menaces us with greater danger than mobs. I do not dread the results, but doubtless many, unless they are very careful, will have their hearts hardened and their eyes blinded by, and they will fall a prey to and be overcome by, these evils, which the adversary is seeking to pour upon us.

Spencer W. Kimball, The Miracle of Forgiveness, p.48
President Brigham Young expressed his fears that the riches of the world would canker the souls of his people in our own dispensation, when he said: “Take courage, brethren ... plow your land and sow wheat, plant your potatoes. It is our duty to preach the Gospel, gather Israel, pay our tithing and build temples. The worst fear I have about this people is that they will get rich in this country, forget God and His people, wax fat, and kick themselves out of the Church and go to hell. This people will stand mobbing, robbing, poverty, and all manner of persecution and be true. But my greatest fear is that they cannot stand wealth.”

JD, Vol.3, Pg.29, George Albert Smith, September 23, 1855
The Lord has said, in a revelation given through Joseph Smith, that it is His purpose to take care of His Saints. He also promised His people, in the commencement of the foundation of this Church, to sift them as with a sieve. Some of the old Prophets, in referring to the work of the last days, speak of the sieve of vanity.

BeNotDeceived
Agent38

Post by BeNotDeceived »

Sarah wrote: January 24th, 2017, 10:46 am
Those that know aren’t saying, but it won’t be elusive if you ask that it not. 🐳

Redpilled Mormon
captain of 100

Post by Redpilled Mormon »

It sure will be a test for the faithful lds members when the q15 announces that homosexual temple marriage is greenlit by God. But I think most of them will pass, and thank God we have a living prophet who lets us know when God changes his mind.

Of course, the real test will be in 5 years, when pedophilic temple marriage is announced... :)
Last edited by Redpilled Mormon on March 1st, 2023, 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

There was a test, of the leadership.
"Thou art weighed in the balances, and art found wanting." Daniel 5:27