Follow the Prophet is Doctrinal!

For discussing the Church, Gospel of Jesus Christ, Mormonism, etc.
Isaiah
captain of 100

Re: Follow the Prophet is Doctrinal!

Post by Isaiah »

rewcox wrote:Conference is coming up in a month. Good time to listen to the Prophet and the apostles!
"As we watch General Conference we should look for the spirit of prophecy."
not just listen to nice talks

If Jesus himself has said -

3 Nephi 23:1- 4
1 "And now, behold, I say unto you,
that ye ought to search these things.
Yea, a commandment I give unto
you that ye search these things diligently;
for great are the words of Isaiah."

Why does our prophet and church leaders never talk about Isaiah or quote him ?
Could it be that they don't understand him ? and if they don't understand him,
do they really have the spirit of prophecy ?

"Wherefore, hearken, O my people, which are of the house of Israel, and give ear unto my words; for because the words of Isaiah are not plain unto you,
nevertheless they are plain unto all those that are filled with the spirit of prophecy "
(2 Nephi 25:4) in part

quote - all below
"As we watch General Conference we should look for the spirit of prophecy."

"The scriptures warn us that in the last days there will be prophets who do not prophesy and seers who do not see (Isaiah 30:10). Jesus also warned that there would be false prophets and an abundance of men teaching their own precepts to get gain, so that even the very elect will be deceived (2 Nephi 26:29; JS Matthew 1:22).

As Latter-day Saints we must learn what a true prophet is and we must learn to discern
between true and false prophets lest we also be deceived.

The scriptures provide a standard by which we can all judge.
Simply put, a prophet must have the spirit of prophecy in order to be a true prophet. This is the sign.

As we watch General Conference we should look for the spirit of prophecy.
We should measure carefully what is being said. We should pray that those who we sustain as prophets will prophesy and speak prophetically because when prophets and seers, prophesy and see, they become a great benefit to their fellow man (Mosiah 8:18). This is the means whereby we can receive salvation.
If men who are called prophets do not have the spirit of prophecy we can know they are false prophets.
Nephi gives us an important bar by which we can measure:

Wherefore, hearken, O my people, which are of the house of Israel, and give ear unto my words; for because the words of Isaiah are not plain unto you, nevertheless they are plain unto all those that are filled with the spirit of prophecy (2 Nephi 25:4).

All prophets will understand the words of Isaiah. They will also share the testimony of the Savior and of Nephi and others that the words of Isaiah are great!

When’s the last time you heard an LDS prophet give a talk on the words of Isaiah in General Conference?
When Jesus came to the Nephites, He gave them the “commandment to search these things diligently; for great are the words of Isaiah.”
Do the servants of the Lord today emphasize this same commandment?

Today’s prophets write books such as: Counseling With Our Councils, The Christmas Train, A Future As Bright As Your Faith, To The Rescue, Forget Me Not, and 21 Principles.

The above may be excellent topics,
but why do today’s LDS prophets not speak or write of Isaiah?
Why do they not rejoice in his words? Why do they not explain what his words mean?
If these words are so great and so relevant to us in our day, why are the so called prophets
not using their “spirit of prophecy” in a way that would render Isaiah’s vital words easier to understand?

Is it possible that these prophets do not understand the words of Isaiah?
If so, can they be true prophets?
Jesus said “ALL who have the spirit of prophecy” will easily understand Isaiah’s words.

They will comprehend them in plainness. If these prophets rely upon trained scholars to understand Isaiah,
would this be evidence that such men are not true prophets?
I leave that for you to judge."
Last edited by Isaiah on September 2nd, 2016, 11:35 am, edited 3 times in total.

rewcox
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by rewcox »

From a prophet, seer and revelator in April 2016 GC:

Always Retain a Remission of Your Sins
The Holy Ghost and Priesthood Ordinances

The Prophet Joseph Smith summarized succinctly the essential role of priesthood ordinances in the gospel of Jesus Christ: “Being born again, comes by the Spirit of God through ordinances.”9 This penetrating statement emphasizes the roles of both the Holy Ghost and sacred ordinances in the process of spiritual rebirth.

The Holy Ghost is the third member of the Godhead. He is a personage of spirit and bears witness of all truth. In the scriptures, the Holy Ghost is referred to as the Comforter,10 a teacher,11 and a revelator.12 Additionally, the Holy Ghost is a sanctifier13 who cleanses and burns dross and evil out of human souls as though by fire.

Holy ordinances are central in the Savior’s gospel and in the process of coming unto Him and seeking spiritual rebirth. Ordinances are sacred acts that have spiritual purpose, eternal significance, and are related to God’s laws and statutes.14 All saving ordinances and the ordinance of the sacrament must be authorized by one who holds the requisite priesthood keys.

The ordinances of salvation and exaltation administered in the Lord’s restored Church are far more than rituals or symbolic performances. Rather, they constitute authorized channels through which the blessings and powers of heaven can flow into our individual lives.

“And this greater priesthood administereth the gospel and holdeth the key of the mysteries of the kingdom, even the key of the knowledge of God.

“Therefore, in the ordinances thereof, the power of godliness is manifest.

“And without the ordinances thereof, and the authority of the priesthood, the power of godliness is not manifest unto men in the flesh.”15

Ordinances received and honored with integrity are essential to obtaining the power of godliness and all of the blessings made available through the Savior’s Atonement.

Amonhi
captain of 1,000

Post by Amonhi »

rewcox wrote:From a prophet, seer and revelator in April 2016 GC:

The Prophet Joseph Smith summarized succinctly the essential role of priesthood ordinances in the gospel of Jesus Christ: “Being born again, comes by the Spirit of God through ordinances.”9 This penetrating statement emphasizes the roles of both the Holy Ghost and sacred ordinances in the process of spiritual rebirth.

The Holy Ghost is the third member of the Godhead. He is a personage of spirit and bears witness of all truth. In the scriptures, the Holy Ghost is referred to as the Comforter,10 a teacher,11 and a revelator.12 Additionally, the Holy Ghost is a sanctifier13 who cleanses and burns dross and evil out of human souls as though by fire.

Holy ordinances are central in the Savior’s gospel and in the process of coming unto Him and seeking spiritual rebirth. Ordinances are sacred acts that have spiritual purpose, eternal significance, and are related to God’s laws and statutes.14 All saving ordinances and the ordinance of the sacrament must be authorized by one who holds the requisite priesthood keys.

The ordinances of salvation and exaltation administered in the Lord’s restored Church are far more than rituals or symbolic performances. Rather, they constitute authorized channels through which the blessings and powers of heaven can flow into our individual lives.

“And this greater priesthood administereth the gospel and holdeth the key of the mysteries of the kingdom, even the key of the knowledge of God.

“And without the ordinances thereof, and the authority of the priesthood, the power of godliness is not manifest unto men in the flesh.”15

Ordinances received and honored with integrity are essential to obtaining the power of godliness and all of the blessings made available through the Savior’s Atonement.
That is interesting because the sacrement prayer tells us that if we always remember him, we will have his spirit to be with us. The sacrement itself can be taken without being given the spirit. What is more interesting is that King Benjamin said that "Remembering the God and his goodness to us helps us to retain a remission of our sins... He said,
11 And again I say unto you as I have said before, that as ye have come to the knowledge of the glory of God, or if ye have known of his goodness and have tasted of his love, and have received a remission of your sins, which causeth such exceedingly great joy in your souls, even so I would that ye should remember, and always retain in remembrance, the greatness of God, and your own nothingness, and his goodness and long-suffering towards you, unworthy creatures, and humble yourselves even in the depths of humility, calling on the name of the Lord daily, and standing steadfastly in the faith of that which is to come, which was spoken by the mouth of the angel.

12 And behold, I say unto you that if ye do this ye shall always rejoice, and be filled with the love of God, and always retain a remission of your sins; and ye shall grow in the knowledge of the glory of him that created you, or in the knowledge of that which is just and true.
I don't see any ordinances mentioned or required by the Angel that taught King Benjamin. I do not see any ordinances performed while King Benjamin gave his sermon but I do see the people receiving a remission of their sins and being filled with the Holy Ghost...

Where are the ordinances that are essential and required for the Blessings of God? How is it that all those people received all those blessings without ordinances and on faith in Christ who should come alone? How is it that he taught remembering Christ and calling on the name of the Lord daily would make them retain a remission of their sins without ordinances?

According to this talk, Can we repent right now and be forgiven right now and receive the spirit right now, or do we have to wait until we have the sacrement before the lord will forgive us of our sins?

I disagree with some points in this talk based on the scriptures and examples in the scriptures that that disagree with it.

Peace,
Amonhi

rewcox
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by rewcox »

Amonhi wrote:
rewcox wrote:From a prophet, seer and revelator in April 2016 GC:

That is interesting because the sacrement prayer tells us that if we always remember him, we will have his spirit to be with us. The sacrement itself can be taken without being given the spirit. What is more interesting is that King Benjamin said that "Remembering the God and his goodness to us helps us to retain a remission of our sins... He said,
11 And again I say unto you as I have said before, that as ye have come to the knowledge of the glory of God, or if ye have known of his goodness and have tasted of his love, and have received a remission of your sins, which causeth such exceedingly great joy in your souls, even so I would that ye should remember, and always retain in remembrance, the greatness of God, and your own nothingness, and his goodness and long-suffering towards you, unworthy creatures, and humble yourselves even in the depths of humility, calling on the name of the Lord daily, and standing steadfastly in the faith of that which is to come, which was spoken by the mouth of the angel.

12 And behold, I say unto you that if ye do this ye shall always rejoice, and be filled with the love of God, and always retain a remission of your sins; and ye shall grow in the knowledge of the glory of him that created you, or in the knowledge of that which is just and true.
I don't see any ordinances mentioned or required by the Angel that taught King Benjamin. I do not see any ordinances performed while King Benjamin gave his sermon but I do see the people receiving a remission of their sins and being filled with the Holy Ghost...

Where are the ordinances that are essential and required for the Blessings of God? How is it that all those people received all those blessings without ordinances and on faith in Christ who should come alone? How is it that he taught remembering Christ and calling on the name of the Lord daily would make them retain a remission of their sins without ordinances?

According to this talk, Can we repent right now and be forgiven right now and receive the spirit right now, or do we have to wait until we have the sacrement before the lord will forgive us of our sins?

I disagree with some points in this talk based on the scriptures and examples in the scriptures that that disagree with it.

Peace,
Amonhi
So you are having a disagreeable day. That is to be expected from those who stray from the church and oppose the prophets and apostles.

You don't know what ordinances they performed with King Benjamin because it's not in the record. Probably Moses related, we do know they kept the law of Moses.

Amonhi
captain of 1,000

Post by Amonhi »

Yes, they kept the law of Moses and offered sacrifices during the days they were gathering, but those sacrifices performed by authority of the priesthood didn't bring them a remission of sins. It was days later when they learned about and exercised faith in Christ...
Mosiah 4:2 And they had viewed themselves in their own carnal state, even less than the dust of the earth. And they all cried aloud with one voice, saying: O have mercy, and apply the atoning blood of Christ that we may receive forgiveness of our sins, and our hearts may be purified; for we believe in Jesus Christ, the Son of God, who created heaven and earth, and all things; who shall come down among the children of men.

3 And it came to pass that after they had spoken these words the Spirit of the Lord came upon them, and they were filled with joy, having received a remission of their sins, and having peace of conscience, because of the exceeding faith which they had in Jesus Christ who should come, according to the words which king Benjamin had spoken unto them.
Also, they received the Gift of the Holy Ghost but nobody had authority to lay hands on for the gift of the Holy Ghost. = No priesthood authority from Lehi to Christ to give the Gift of the Holy hgost by the laying on of hands, yet they had it... just like these Nephites who were baptized with fire and the Holy Ghost...

There are many examples of people receiving blessings in the scriptures without men performing or receiving ordinances. You can't discount them. You can ignore them, and you can say that God changed and doesn't do that anymore, but you can't say that it didn't happen without saying the sun is not shining at noon day while you feel its heat on your closed eyes.

Peace,
Amonhi

rewcox
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by rewcox »

Another good talk from a current prophet and apostle:

Tomorrow the Lord Will Do Wonders Among You
First of all, if in the days ahead you not only see limitations in those around you but also find elements in your own life that don’t yet measure up to the messages you have heard this weekend, please don’t be cast down in spirit and don’t give up. The gospel, the Church, and these wonderful semiannual gatherings are intended to give hope and inspiration. They are not intended to discourage you. Only the adversary, the enemy of us all, would try to convince us that the ideals outlined in general conference are depressing and unrealistic, that people don’t really improve, that no one really progresses. And why does Lucifer give that speech? Because he knows he can’t improve, he can’t progress, that worlds without end he will never have a bright tomorrow. He is a miserable man bound by eternal limitations, and he wants you to be miserable too. Well, don’t fall for that. With the gift of the Atonement of Jesus Christ and the strength of heaven to help us, we can improve, and the great thing about the gospel is we get credit for trying, even if we don’t always succeed.

rewcox
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by rewcox »

Another set of verses in the Book of Mormon about following the prophet:

Alma 5
61 And now I, Alma, do command you in the language of him who hath commanded me, that ye observe to do the words which I have spoken unto you.

62 I speak by way of command unto you that belong to the church; and unto those who do not belong to the church I speak by way of invitation, saying: Come and be baptized unto repentance, that ye also may be partakers of the fruit of the tree of life.

Mark
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Mark »

rewcox wrote:Another set of verses in the Book of Mormon about following the prophet:

Alma 5
61 And now I, Alma, do command you in the language of him who hath commanded me, that ye observe to do the words which I have spoken unto you.

62 I speak by way of command unto you that belong to the church; and unto those who do not belong to the church I speak by way of invitation, saying: Come and be baptized unto repentance, that ye also may be partakers of the fruit of the tree of life.

Let's get real here. Is there any question that this self appointed "prophet" Amonhi is trying to pursuade anyone who will listen that the true gospel is now being taught by him and not by the LDS church? He is downplaying the articles of faith along with multiple scriptures found all over the canon of scripture that clearly outlines the gospel of Jesus Christ. For example take these 3 articles of faith and contrast them with what Amonhi is peddling here.

4 We believe that the first principles and ordinances of the Gospel are: first, Faith in the Lord Jesus Christ; second, Repentance; third, Baptism by immersion for the remission of sins; fourth, Laying on of hands for the gift of the Holy Ghost.

5 We believe that a man must be called of God, by prophecy, and by the laying on of hands by those who are in authority, to preach the Gospel and administer in the ordinances thereof.

6 We believe in the same organization that existed in the Primitive Church, namely, apostles, prophets, pastors, teachers, evangelists, and so forth.

Either Amonhi is now authorized by the Lord to change the principles and ordinances of the gospel as revealed through the Prophet Joseph Smith or he is just another of the long line of false and deceitful imposters who try to pervert the gospel of Christ and draw people away from the safety of the restored Church of Jesus Christ. Choose ye this day whom ye will serve. I already have my answer. Choose wisely folks.

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

Mark wrote:
rewcox wrote:Another set of verses in the Book of Mormon about following the prophet:

Alma 5

Let's get real here. Is there any question that this self appointed "prophet" Amonhi is trying to pursuade anyone who will listen that the true gospel is now being taught by him and not by the LDS church? He is downplaying the articles of faith along with multiple scriptures found all over the canon of scripture that clearly outlines the gospel of Jesus Christ. For example take these 3 articles of faith and contrast them with what Amonhi is peddling here.

4 We believe that the first principles and ordinances of the Gospel are: first, Faith in the Lord Jesus Christ; second, Repentance; third, Baptism by immersion for the remission of sins; fourth, Laying on of hands for the gift of the Holy Ghost.

5 We believe that a man must be called of God, by prophecy, and by the laying on of hands by those who are in authority, to preach the Gospel and administer in the ordinances thereof.

6 We believe in the same organization that existed in the Primitive Church, namely, apostles, prophets, pastors, teachers, evangelists, and so forth.

Either Amonhi is now authorized by the Lord to change the principles and ordinances of the gospel as revealed through the Prophet Joseph Smith or he is just another of the long line of false and deceitful imposters who try to pervert the gospel of Christ and draw people away from the safety of the restored Church of Jesus Christ. Choose ye this day whom ye will serve. I already have my answer. Choose wisely folks.
If anyone wants to test the prophet on board, here's how.

It has two parts.

1) Ask him to reveal any new revelation(s) that we as church members have never heard before, something new and fresh the whole body of the membership need know.
2) Ask him to reveal any new amendment to any of the revelations already received and taught by church leaders, past and present, any change or amendment that the church body need know.

But know this, I have challenged this self proclaimed prophet before with these questions. Does anyone want to know what happened?

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

Beware of False Prophets and False Teachers, M. Russell Ballard

“We can accept nothing as authoritative but that which comes directly through the appointed channel, the constituted organizations of the Priesthood, which is the channel that God has appointed through which to make known His mind and will to the world. … And the moment that individuals look to any other source, that moment they throw themselves open to the seductive influences of Satan, and render themselves liable to become servants of the devil; they lose sight of the true order through which the blessings of the Priesthood are to be enjoyed; they step outside of the pale of the kingdom of God, and are on dangerous ground. Whenever you see a man rise up claiming to have received direct revelation from the Lord to the Church, independent of the order and channel of the Priesthood, you may set him down as an imposter” (Gospel Doctrine, 5th ed. [1939], 41–42).

Finrock
captain of 1,000

Post by Finrock »

You guys need to understand the difference between a prophet and the President of the Church and stop conflating the two. Anyone can be a prophet (and I mean a true, legit, God appointed prophet), but only one person can be the President of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and receive revelation from the Lord to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

Its a pretty straight forward concept. Stop living beneath your privilege. Its not bad or evil to get out of your cabin and start enjoying the bounteous feast, rather than just your water, crackers, and canned goods.

https://www.lds.org/general-conference/ ... g=eng&_r=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

-Finrock

e-eye2.0
captain of 100

Post by e-eye2.0 »

Finrock wrote:You guys need to understand the difference between a prophet and the President of the Church and stop conflating the two. Anyone can be a prophet (and I mean a true, legit, God appointed prophet), but only one person can be the President of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and receive revelation from the Lord to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

Its a pretty straight forward concept. Stop living beneath your privilege. Its not bad or evil to get out of your cabin and start enjoying the bounteous feast, rather than just your water, crackers, and canned goods.

https://www.lds.org/general-conference/ ... g=eng&_r=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

-Finrock
I think you may want to actually read the link you shared. The quote at the top of the article says listen to the prophet. Personal revelation is a huge things and this is a great talk. There are 15 men who are prophets seers and revelators for the Lords church. All of have the right to personal revelation in regards to our stewardship but that is where it stops. It is true that many priesthood holders live below their potential and then you have the imposters that (lived so far beyond it) they thought they had to leave the church. It's really sad how Satan is so deceiving he could convince people that leaving the church will take them on a higher plane- but this may prove the point of the talk.

Finrock
captain of 1,000

Post by Finrock »

e-eye2.0 wrote:
Finrock wrote:You guys need to understand the difference between a prophet and the President of the Church and stop conflating the two. Anyone can be a prophet (and I mean a true, legit, God appointed prophet), but only one person can be the President of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and receive revelation from the Lord to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

-Finrock
I think you may want to actually read the link you shared. The quote at the top of the article says listen to the prophet. Personal revelation is a huge things and this is a great talk. There are 15 men who are prophets seers and revelators for the Lords church. All of have the right to personal revelation in regards to our stewardship but that is where it stops. It is true that many priesthood holders live below their potential and then you have the imposters that (lived so far beyond it) they thought they had to leave the church. It's really sad how Satan is so deceiving he could convince people that leaving the church will take them on a higher plane- but this may prove the point of the talk.
Why do you think that I have a problem with listening to a prophet? That's nonsense. That is what you and others keep doing, twisting my words to fit your prejudices, but it isn't actually the truth. Did you know that you have the potential of being a prophet? Did you know that you can talk with God and have Him intimately and directly involved in your life? Do you exercise this privilege? Are you using your priesthood to heal others? Are you going about doing good with your priesthood? Did you know that the priesthood gives you the exact same privileges that any prophet or apostle has? Did you know that God is not a respecter of persons?

I don't want your answers to these questions. They are not important for me to know. I want you to ponder them in your heart and see where you stand. Stop judging me, making assumptions about me and instead worry about where you stand with God. I invite you to live your potential and privilege. I really like Elder Uchtdorf's talk. It was one of the talks that flicked the lights on for me and lead me to where I am today. As I listened and have since read the talk several times, it has confirmed to me, as another witness, what the Spirit had been and has been teaching me about my potential and my privilege.

It's important for you to know that you are just as special to God and have the same rights and privileges and access to God as those who are leading the Church. This is wonderful news. I hope you accept it and if you already have, good for you! :)

-Finrock

rewcox
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by rewcox »

Finrock wrote:
e-eye2.0 wrote:

-Finrock
Why do you think that I have a problem with listening to a prophet? That's nonsense. That is what you and others keep doing, twisting my words to fit your prejudices, but it isn't actually the truth. Did you know that you have the potential of being a prophet? Did you know that you can talk with God and have Him intimately and directly involved in your life? Do you exercise this privilege? Are you using your priesthood to heal others? Are you going about doing good with your priesthood? Did you know that the priesthood gives you the exact same privileges that any prophet or apostle has? Did you know that God is not a respecter of persons?

I don't want your answers to these questions. They are not important for me to know. I want you to ponder them in your heart and see where you stand. Stop judging me, making assumptions about me and instead worry about where you stand with God. I invite you to live your potential and privilege. I really like Elder Uchtdorf's talk. It was one of the talks that flicked the lights on for me and lead me to where I am today. As I listened and have since read the talk several times, it has confirmed to me, as another witness, what the Spirit had been and has been teaching me about my potential and my privilege.

It's important for you to know that you are just as special to God and have the same rights and privileges and access to God as those who are leading the Church. This is wonderful news. I hope you accept it and if you already have, good for you! :)

-Finrock
Great example of Follow the Prophet! Nice, Finrock.

Finrock
captain of 1,000

Post by Finrock »

rewcox wrote:
Finrock wrote:
e-eye2.0 wrote:

-Finrock

-Finrock
To be more precise, I was listening to the words of a prophet, but in the end I followed the Spirit. The Spirit led me to listen to conference and the Spirit witnessed to me of this prophets words. The Spirit had also already introduced the ideas that Uchtdorf presented before I heard his talk. His talk did provide another witness to me that I was not just making these things up. I trust the prophet Dieter Uchtdorf because the Spirit has witnessed to me that he is a true prophet of God. I listen to all the prophets, even if I have not received an actual witness of their prophetic calling, and I try to hear the Spirit in their talks.

The Holy Spirit is awesome and wonderful. What a great and powerful gift from God to have the Gift of the Holy Ghost! God is truly good and loves His children.

-Finrock

e-eye2.0
captain of 100

Post by e-eye2.0 »

Finrock wrote:
rewcox wrote:
Finrock wrote:
e-eye2.0 wrote:

-Finrock
To be more precise, I was listening to the words of a prophet, but in the end I followed the Spirit. The Spirit led me to listen to conference and the Spirit witnessed to me of this prophets words. The Spirit had also already introduced the ideas that Uchtdorf presented before I heard his talk. His talk did provide another witness to me that I was not just making these things up. I trust the prophet Dieter Uchtdorf because the Spirit has witnessed to me that he is a true prophet of God. I listen to all the prophets, even if I have not received an actual witness of their prophetic calling, and I try to hear the Spirit in their talks.

The Holy Spirit is awesome and wonderful. What a great and powerful gift from God to have the Gift of the Holy Ghost! God is truly good and loves His children.

-Finrock
I have never felt that I had less access than any other person. There are some (not saying you) who tend to think because we say "follow the prophet" we don't know how to have personal revelation. I think you are just defining prophet different than how I am. I classify a prophet as one who receives revelation for the entire church. I think the confusion between our two lines of thinking is priesthood authority and priesthood power. (We all have equal opportunity for success with our priesthood power and one Melchizedek priesthood is not higher or better than another but the success vary's depending upon the faith) As for priesthood authority that is completely different as all the keys that are available are held by the prophet - I don't hold these keys. - We probably don't disagree here and I am probably not saying anything you don't know.

Where we disagree is just a simple term - from what I can tell you say we can all be prophets where I say we can all have priesthood power. A prophet receives revelation for the entire church but we don't - I am not a prophet in this sense but I do have every right and privilege with my priesthood power to guide those who I have authority over.

Many here (not saying you) but many don't believe the first presidency and apostles are the Lords prophets - I am glad you do. If you are lumped into this by accident I apologize we can rejoice together.

Onsdag
captain of 100

Post by Onsdag »

-Finrock
Yes, each person can and should be a prophet. But that doesn't excuse us from listening to and obeying the Prophet, for, as Paul so eloquently taught, "the spirits of the prophets are subject to the prophets. For God is not the author of confusion, but of peace, as in all churches of the saints" (1 Corinthians 14:32-33). Just ask Aaron and Miriam how that went for them when they decided they no longer needed the Lord's chosen Prophet Moses because they were now "prophets" themselves (see Numbers 12). I find it rather interesting that this scripture immediately follows the famous "would God that all the Lord’s people were prophets, and that the Lord would put his spirit upon them!" quote from Moses that people around here and elsewhere like to use to 'prove' that we can become prophets ourselves and therefore don't need a Prophet to lead us. I guess they don't like to continue reading this next chapter because it proves them wrong and that God has indeed given us Prophets and expects us to hearken to them and support them.

Finrock
captain of 1,000

Post by Finrock »

Onsdag wrote:

-Finrock
Yes, each person can and should be a prophet. But that doesn't excuse us from listening to and obeying the Prophet, for, as Paul so eloquently taught, "the spirits of the prophets are subject to the prophets. For God is not the author of confusion, but of peace, as in all churches of the saints" (1 Corinthians 14:32-33). Just ask Aaron and Miriam how that went for them when they decided they no longer needed the Lord's chosen Prophet Moses because they were now "prophets" themselves (see Numbers 12). I find it rather interesting that this scripture immediately follows the famous "would God that all the Lord’s people were prophets, and that the Lord would put his spirit upon them!" quote from Moses that people around here and elsewhere like to use to 'prove' that we can become prophets ourselves and therefore don't need a Prophet to lead us. I guess they don't like to continue reading this next chapter because it proves them wrong and that God has indeed given us Prophets and expects us to hearken to them and support them.
Onsdag,

One day there will not be any prophets to lead us, or rather, let me say it this way, that one day we may find ourselves in a situation where there will be no prophet as we know it to lead us. One day we will have no choice but to see our way using the oil that we have in our lamps. It isn't a matter of rejecting prophets. It isn't a matter of trying to lead the Church or tell the Church what to do. You miss the point. The point is that we must learn to commune with heaven and become independent of others to lead or to guide us. In your paradigm, the president of the Church doesn't follow any prophet. He talks with Jesus Christ directly. We must become like the president of the Church in that respect but ultimately we must become like Jesus Christ and do the things that He did. The prophets of God should be teaching us this very ultimate truth.

Also, there are other issues that I won't go in to any more regarding the apostles and how many, many Mormons view them and treat them. But in short, we must learn to love and treat ALL mankind as if they were God Himself standing before us. We must learn to hear and to follow the Holy Spirit. This is what all of the Holy Prophets have taught.

God is supreme. Jesus Christ is Lord. He, Jesus, is The Prophet, The High Priest, The Master, The King of kings, and The Lord of lords. I do not understand how ANY disciple of Jesus Christ would argue and contend with this point. I have my thoughts, but I don't want to judge or cause contention.

-Finrock

Amonhi
captain of 1,000

Post by Amonhi »

bump... Both sides of the discussion are well represented here. So, if you haven't made up your mind on this on this topic, then read this thread and you will get a good rounded view of the points on both sides.

Peace,
Amonhi

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

The reason we follow the Prophets is because the First Presidency, all three, hold the keys of the Kingdom.

Thus:

Doctrine and Covenants 81:2
2 Unto whom I have given the keys of the kingdom, which belong always unto the Presidency of the High Priesthood:

Doctrine and Covenants 107:18,19
18 The power and authority of the higher, or Melchizedek Priesthood, is to hold the keys of all the spiritual blessings of the church—
19 To have the privilege of receiving the mysteries of the kingdom of heaven, to have the heavens opened unto them, to commune with the general assembly and church of the Firstborn, and to enjoy the communion and presence of God the Father, and Jesus the mediator of the new covenant.

Amonhi
captain of 1,000

Post by Amonhi »

freedomforall wrote:The reason we follow the Prophets is because the First Presidency, all three, hold the keys of the Kingdom.

Thus:

Doctrine and Covenants 81:2
2 Unto whom I have given the keys of the kingdom, which belong always unto the Presidency of the High Priesthood:
This simply means that they get to call the shots for the organization of the church just like a President of any corporation gets to decide how to run the corporation. It doesn't mean that all truth will come through them or that they should be obeyed in all things. It is not right for any member to walk into the church office building and say, I had a revelation that the church should implement my new new idea/program.
Doctrine and Covenants 107:18,19
18 The power and authority of the higher, or Melchizedek Priesthood, is to hold the keys of all the spiritual blessings of the church—
19 To have the privilege of receiving the mysteries of the kingdom of heaven, to have the heavens opened unto them, to commune with the general assembly and church of the Firstborn, and to enjoy the communion and presence of God the Father, and Jesus the mediator of the new covenant.
The blessings detailed here are available to all members, men and women alike, not just the top 3 leaders of the church. Every member has the ability to receive the mysteries as soon as they are able. Anyone who is part of the church of the Firstborn can commune with the general assembly of heaven and church of the Firstborn and enjoy the presence of God the Father and Jesus the mediator.
Paul wrote too the Hebrews saying that they had received these blessings, and they were not the First Presidency of the church...
Hebrews 12:22-24
22 But ye are come unto mount Sion, and unto the city of the living God, the heavenly Jerusalem, and to an innumerable company of angels,
23 To the general assembly and church of the firstborn, which are written in heaven, and to God the Judge of all, and to the spirits of just men made perfect,
24 And to Jesus the mediator of the new covenant, and to the blood of sprinkling, that speaketh better things than that of Abel.
This is also a direct reference to them all having their Calling and Election made sure as these gifts are only to that group as detailed in D&C 76:50-70.
53 And who overcome by faith, and are sealed by the Holy Spirit of promise, which the Father sheds forth upon all those who are just and true.
54 They are they who are the church of the Firstborn.
62 These shall dwell in the presence of God and his Christ forever and ever.
66 These are they who are come unto Mount Zion, and unto the city of the living God, the heavenly place, the holiest of all.
67 These are they who have come to an innumerable company of angels, to the general assembly and church of Enoch, and of the Firstborn.
68 These are they whose names are written in heaven, where God and Christ are the judge of all.
69 These are they who are just men made perfect through Jesus the mediator of the new covenant, who wrought out this perfect atonement through the shedding of his own blood.
These blessings are available to all members of the church if they will receive them.

This means that your scripture reference goes further to showing that rather than follow the prophet, we need to become prophets ourselves by following the spirit. It is the Holy Ghost that makes a person a prophet.

Another thing that occurred to me is that this scripture that you quoted and the subsequent ones I quoted all say that a person can "have the heavens opened unto them, to commune with the general assembly and church of the Firstborn,[/u] and to enjoy the communion and presence of God the Father, and Jesus the mediator of the new covenant." Seeing Christ, receiving the Second Comforter, and having these great manifestations is a blessing that Joseph Smith enjoyed. It is a blessing that many of the ancient Saints enjoyed throughout the scriptures. It is a blessing that many modern Saints currently enjoy. But is it a blessing that many of our modern Prophets and Presidents of the church do not or have not enjoyed, by their own admission. This means that some of the members of the church have experienced blessings and manifestations far beyond those experienced by the Prophet of the church. If we were going to follow man, based on your logic, then we should be following those men who have and claim to have the experiences that of the righteous detailed in these verses. Not the righteous based on the church standards which obviously find the presidents of the church to be righteous, but righteous based on Gods standards which means they are receiving these great manifestations and witnesses by being brought back into God's presence like the brother of Jared was...

The following letter was written by President Heber J. Grant to his sister 13 April 1926. (Grant succeeded Joseph F. Smith as president of the LDS Church in November 1918. He had been the Prophet/president of the church for 8 years.)
Dear Sister:

Answering your letter of the 12th.

I know of no instance where the Lord has appeared to an individual since His appearance to the Prophet Joseph Smith.

Sincerely your brother,

[signed] Heber J. Grant
- Lester Bush’s papers at the UU
- http://bycommonconsent.com/2008/02/23/a ... ng-letter/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Later, after nearly 24 years as President of the church President Grant tells us in General Conference address in 1942:
"I have never prayed to see the Savoior, … I have seen so many men fall because of some great manifestations to them.”
President Grant indicates that having such great manifestations might cause us to fall. As if he as the President of the Church might fall by having such an experience… he didn't seem to know about the rock on which if you build you cannot fall... Certainly didn't experience blessings available to all the Church or the Firstborn like the second comforter, presence of Christ and God. Sounds like hadn't even experienced the ministering of angels through the Aaronic Priesthood... Here is what Mormon said about that...
37 Behold I say unto you, Nay; for it is by faith that miracles are wrought; and it is by faith that angels appear and minister unto men; wherefore, if these things have ceased wo be unto the children of men, for it is because of unbelief, and all is vain.
38 For no man can be saved, according to the words of Christ, save they shall have faith in his name; wherefore, if these things have ceased, then has faith ceased also; and awful is the state of man, for they are as though there had been no redemption made. - Moroni 7:37-38
President Grant tells us that the church was lead for 24 years by a man who experienced no great manifestation because rather than faith, he had fear. Mormon tells us that people who don't have the faith to experience the ministering of angels don't have the faith to be saved and they live as if there was no redemption made. That's who was leading the church for 24 years...

Before him, President Brigham Young was ordained president of the Church in December 1847. He had lead the church for about 12 years as the prophet and a number of years before that as the President of the Quorum of the 12 when he said the following:
“I have flattered myself, if I am as faithful as I know how to be to my God, and my brethren, and to all my covenants, and faithful in the discharge of my duty, when I have lived to be as old as was Moses when the Lord appeared to him, that perhaps I then may hold communion with the Lord, as did Moses. I am not now in that position, though I know much more than I did twenty, ten, or five years ago. But have I yet lived to the state of perfection that I can commune in person with the Father and the Son at my will and pleasure? No, - though I hold myself in readiness that he can wield me at his will and pleasure. If I am faithful until I am eighty years of age, perhaps the Lord will appear to me and personally dictate me in the management of his Church and people. A little over twenty years, and if I am faithful, perhaps I will obtain that favour with my Father and God.” - Journal of Discourses, 7:243. Brigham Young, September 1, 1859
About another 6 years later he said, (President of the Church for 17 years at the time of this statement.)
And what shall we say of our Heavenly Father? He is also a man in perfection, and the father of the man Jesus Christ, and the father of our spirits; He lives far above the influence and power of sin, and holds in his hands the destinies of all. We have not seen the person of the Father, neither have we seen that of the Son; but we have seen the children of the Father, and the brethren of the Savior, who are in every way like them in physical appearance and organization. Although mankind of the same color look alike, yet there exist expressions of the features by which one person can be distinguished from another. The human family all resemble one another in the main characteristics of humanity, and all resemble the Savior who died for us; and could we see him in the flesh, as he appeared to the ancients, we should very likely find that some men are more like him that others in feature and form, as we often see men who are more like Joseph Smith than others are. - Journal of Discourses, 11:42. Brigham Young, January 8, 1865
In our own life time, President Hinckley said multiple times and ways,
"Revelation no longer comes by vision," Mr. Hinckley said, "but in the 'still, small voice,' like that heard by Elijah." "We wrestle with a problem, we discuss it, we think about it, we pray about it," he said... "And the answer comes in a remarkable and wonderful way." (Washington Times, Dec. 3, 1996, page A8)

The sixth president of the Church, Joseph Fielding Smith Sr., testified under oath before Congress that he, as prophet of the Church, has not received any revelations and that he only gets impressions from God the same as any good Methodist would get.
Senator Dubois: Then you do not know whether you have received any such revelation as you have described or whether you have not?

President Smith: Well, I can say this: That if I live as I should in the line of my duties, I AM SUSCEPTIBLE, I THINK, of the impressions of the Spirit of the Lord upon my mind at any time, JUST AS ANY GOOD METHODIST or any other good church member might be. And so far as that is concerned, I say yes; I have had impressions of the Spirit upon my mind very frequently, but they ARE NOT IN THE SENSE OF REVELATIONS." (Reed Smoot Case, Vol. 1, pages 483-484).
On page 99 of the same volume Joseph F. Smith stated:
'I have NEVER PRETENDED TO NOR DO I PROFESS TO HAVE RECEIVED REVELATIONS.'
These statements are not spoken by men who have experienced the heavens opened, communed with the church of the Firstborn and General assembly of heaven and having visions and the eyes of their understanding opened to receiving the mysteries of God. These are the words of the Presidents/Prophets of the church that you are saying that we should follow because they are supposed to have a connection with God and heaven that is beyond what the members of the church can or should have. Yet they are telling us over and over that the only connection they have is the Holy Ghost which every member of the church should have.

Don't take me wrong, I am not saying that none of the Presidents of the church or Prophets have had divine manifestations. I am saying that if you are thinking that we should follow these men because they by virtue of their priesthood authority they do, then you are deceived. This does not mean that you can't learn from them, but it does mean that you can learn only what they know and if all they know is how to receive the promptings of the Spirit and follow them, then you should learn from them to do the same and not expect to learn more from them than they have learned from themselves. If all they have received is the Holy Ghost, then they can certainly get you to the Terrestrial Kingdom with all those who are not the church of the Firstborn. And I would like to point out that it doesn't require a special witness or manifestation to serve in any capacity of the church, including the capacity of President of the Church. Your personal progression is not dependent upon his. You can receive your calling and election made sure, accept the second comforter, have the heavens opened, receive the mysteries of God, commune with the general assembly of heaven and the church of the Firstborn, and experience the presence of God and Jesus Christ even when they have not.

Again, I am not saying that none of the brethren have these experiences. Some have them before being called as Apostles and some like Elder David B. Haight have them while being Apostles. In General Conference on April 1976, Elder Haight said,
God bless us with faith in Christ—the faith Christ stressed when he appeared to the eleven. Thomas, you recall, wanted proof—wanted to personally see what had been described to him. The Savior said, “Thomas, because thou hast seen me, thou hast believed: blessed are they that have not seen, and yet have believed.” (John 20:29.)

I have not seen, but I know. I have always known, but now I have received a greater assurance and pray that I will always know that this is the gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ, that it has been restored in our day, that God is a reality. I know that he lives, that man was created in his image and likeness. I know that Jesus of Nazareth, born of Mary, is the Christ, the Son of God, and that there is no other name under heaven by which man can be saved. I know that he lives now—today—and that salvation is only through him; that he will bring us back, if worthy, to the presence of God, our Eternal Father. – David B. Haight http://www.lds.org/ensign/1976/05/he-is ... d?lang=eng
Later, when he had been an Apostle for 13 years, just before he died, in the October 1989 General Conference, Elder Haight finally received and shared that special witness. Of Course he had been telling everyone he had it for years prior to that point… because he didn't know any better until he finally experienced it for himself. But his final testimony in his last General Conference included the new greater witness which he did not have previous to his near death experience…
I knew this truth before—I had never doubted nor wondered. But now I knew, because of the impressions of the Spirit upon my heart and soul, these divine truths in a most unusual way.

I was being taught, and the eyes of my understanding were opened by the Holy Spirit of God so as to behold many things.

During those days of unconsciousness I was given, by the gift and power of the Holy Ghost, a more perfect knowledge of His mission. I was also given a more complete understanding of what it means to exercise, in His name, the authority to unlock the mysteries of the kingdom of heaven for the salvation of all who are faithful. My soul was taught over and over again the events of the betrayal, the mock trial, the scourging of the flesh of even one of the Godhead. I witnessed His struggling up the hill in His weakened condition carrying the cross and His being stretched upon it as it lay on the ground, that the crude spikes could be driven with a mallet into His hands and wrists and feet to secure His body as it hung on the cross for public display.

I cannot begin to convey to you the deep impact that these scenes have confirmed upon my soul.

The added knowledge which has come to me has made a great impact upon my life. The gift of the Holy Ghost is a priceless possession and opens the door to our ongoing knowledge of God and eternal joy. Of this I bear witness, in the holy name of Jesus Christ, amen. - https://www.lds.org/ensign/1986/09/elde ... s?lang=eng

Even when a person or group of people have received the experiences that are detailed and listed as blessings of God to the righteous, we should not follow them. We should consider what they are teaching, pray about it and even plant the seed to see if it grows, but we do so by following the spirit and allowing it to teach us through them. The goal will never to make them our leaders or subject ourselves to them blindly. It is always to learn from their experience so that we can have the same experiences, blessings and connections with God.
Do people really receive these blessings and talk about it?

YES! Elliaison Contributors have each received the blessings they are writing about. They each have been instructed by God to share with others their experiences and wisdom in an effort to help others to receive the same. Most of them received their Calling and Election made sure and Second Comforter independent of Elliaison or each other. They have been instructed by personal revelation to help others and found the Elliaison effort to be an effective way to do so.
There are a significant number who have received all the blessings discussed in this book. Many, including most of the Elliaison Contributors, have received their blessings without Elliaison's help. However, we are pleased to see that many are applying the information provided on our websites and in our books and articles and have received their blessings as a direct result.
It is true that most people are NOT often open about their more significant spiritual experiences while talking to large groups. For example, you will very rarely hear someone in a church meeting or talk clearly and directly affirm that they have met the Christ or seen angels. However, it is often said in shrouded words that are witnessed by the spirit to those who have “ears to hear”.
We recognize and understand that many sincere people claim to have knowledge of these things by stating, "I know that Jesus is the Savior", when actually they have a strong testimony by the spirit and have never gained this knowledge by meeting him personally. Those who have real knowledge might say something like, "I know from personal experience that Christ lives.” Such knowledge can only come as a person meets the savior firsthand.
A witness of Christ through the Holy Ghost is called a Testimony of Christ and according to John the Revelator, “the testimony of Jesus is the spirit of prophecy" and makes a person a prophet in the most limited sense, (Rev.19:10). This is because the same spirit that witnesses to our hearts of Jesus Christ, also tells us of those things which are not seen but which are prophetic or true. It is the same witness and experience, but instead of having a witness of Christ whom they have never seen, they receive a witness of some other thing that they have never seen, like a future event. When you receive a witness by the Holy Ghost regarding something you have not seen, it is called "the word of prophecy" or "a prophecy".
Peter explained this more clearly saying,

For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost.” – 2 Peter 1:21

Just prior to explaining this, Peter explained that there is a greater witness than the witness of the Holy Ghost. He explained that he and his brethren had this greater witness. This greater witness is to see for yourself and receive the witness of the Holy Ghost that testifies of what you are seeing. To see Christ and have the witness of the Holy Ghost tell you, "This is Christ" is a greater witness than that of the spirit alone. “The more sure word of prophecy” is the term that references an eyewitness, or someone who has firsthand personal experience with Christ or other things they are teaching about. Peter said he and his brethren where such witnesses,

For we have not followed cunningly devised fables, when we made known unto you the power and coming of our Lord Jesus Christ, but were eyewitnesses of his majesty…
We have also a more sure word of prophecy; whereunto ye do well that ye take heed, as unto a light that shineth in a dark place, until the day dawn, and the day star arise in your hearts:” – 2 Peter 1:16-19

Testimony changes to knowledge as a person meets the savior personally. This is explained well in Ether 3 after the Brother of Jared had seen the Lord himself.

"And because of the knowledge of this man he could not be kept from beholding within the veil; and he saw the finger of Jesus, which, when he saw, he fell with fear; for he knew that it was the finger of the Lord; and he had faith no longer, for he knew, nothing doubting.
Wherefore, having this perfect knowledge of God, he could not be kept from within the veil; therefore he saw Jesus; and he did minister unto him." - Ether 3:4-20

Although there are some occasions in which individuals have been told not to share their experiences, or what they learned in their experiences, this is not the norm. Just as sharing your testimony of Jesus Christ only encourages faith and is required for missionary work, so to witnessing your personal experiences of Jesus Christ, angels, miracles and other blessings promotes faith and encourages others to rise up to greater plateaus. This is a major reason we read the scriptures which are largely the experiences and witnesses of those who have had such experiences and shared them. If they hadn’t shared them, then we wouldn’t be blessed to know about them.
In addition, if you have not had these experiences yourself and are looking for a guide who is able to teach you those things so that you can know how to breach the veil and see the heavens for yourself, it would be wise to know if that person has done so for themselves or not. It puts their teachings and directions into proper perspective.
If you needed to learn how to do something and you were looking for an instructor to teach you, you would want someone who can teach you from experience. In every area of life, we recognize the value of experience. But for some reason, when it comes to our spiritual direction and instruction, so many of us are willing to learn from and follow those who neglect or refuse to provide their qualifications.
Imagine if you went to a doctor’s office and while in the waiting room you discovered that the only qualification the physician had or provided was their title or position at that clinic. Then, when you went to interview the doctor to see if they would sufficiently be able to instruct you in your physical heath, you asked them about their qualifications and experience and they responded by telling you that it is not proper to ask such questions or that information like that is too special to share with you no matter how much you would respect and honor it.
Here is the thing, they would be right if they were not endeavoring to instruct and lead others. Once they accept a position of leadership in which they endeavor to help others to accomplish a goal, it becomes a right of those they lead to know if they have themselves achieved that goal or not. For the sake of our spiritual progression, we need to know the qualifications of the people leading us. If we believe that they can bring us to Christ but they have never been in his presence themselves, then they really don't know what they are doing. If they haven't breach the veil themselves, they are guessing and hoping those they follow can live their instructions better than they can, but they may not have considered that the reason they have not achieved the goal for themselves is not their ability to live according to their own instructions but that the instructions are based on the traditions of men and will never lead you correctly.
For example, we hear all too often people teaching that we need to live the commandments and laws of the church perfectly to become perfect, but the scriptures clearly state that the laws and commandments come from the lower priesthood and never made anyone perfect. If you want to come to God, rather than trying to live the law better, focus your efforts on gaining a better hope in Christ...

"If therefore perfection were by the Levitical priesthood, (for under it the people received the law,) what further need was there that another priest should rise after the order of Melchisedec, and not be called after the order of Aaron?
For the law made nothing perfect, but the bringing in of a better hope did; by the which we draw nigh unto God." - Hebrews 7:11 & 19

We can tell you these things with certainty because we have breached the veil and stood in the presence of God and His Savior. We know the path and are able to lead those who do not until they too know the path and can in turn lead additional others until all equally know the path.
If we are learning from any person or group, then it is important that we know if they are able to teach and lead us to the goals we are seeking to achieve. If they have not experienced the blessings we want, then the chances of them leading us to the results we desire are slim. In such instances, it becomes a case of the blind leading the blind.
Even the greatest of scholars are limited in their knowledge if they haven’t had personal experience. Anyone who knows enough to lead someone else to a blessing or experience will most certainly know enough to have had the experience for themselves. If they have not, then they do not know enough to teach you to have it either. This is why Peter said that he was an “eyewitness” having “a more sure word of prophecy” and having established himself as an experienced authority he then says, "ye do well that ye take heed, as unto a light that shineth in a dark place, until the day dawn, and the day star arise in your hearts."
We read the scriptures to learn from these spiritual experts so that we can become spiritual experts ourselves by having the same experiences they have had. They therefore want us all to be prophets.

“And Moses said unto him, Enviest thou for my sake? (I) would God that all the Lord’s people were prophets, and that the Lord would put his spirit upon them!” – Numb. 11:29

They want us all to make our calling and election sure.

“Wherefore the rather, brethren, give diligence to make your calling and election sure: for if ye do these things, ye shall never fall:” - 2 Peter 1:10

And ultimately, they want us all to be equal with Christ and God.

"Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus: Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God:" - Philippians 2:5-6

And because God is no respecter of persons, (Acts 10:34), any blessing that is available to one is available to all.
With this understanding firmly in place, we would like to point out to you that while this book is informative and provides a great deal of insight, revelation and new information, it cannot and does not replace or superseded the need for your own personal revelation.
You cannot borrow our, (or anyone else's), oil for your lamps to light your way through the dark night. You must have the ability to provide your own light to guide yourself or you will not be among those virgins who enter into the marriage, (see Matthew 25:1-13). Each person must have their own oil and be able to provide for themselves enough light to last the night and not think that they can rely on the light and revelation of others to guide them.
This means that you should not believe what you read in this book, (or any other), without receiving the witness of the Holy Ghost on each point of doctrine and having your own direct connection to God. Only by the powerful witness of the Holy Ghost can you learn for yourself what is true.

President Brigham Young said:

"There are those among this people who are influenced, controlled, and biased in their thoughts, actions, and feelings by some other individual or family, on whom they place their dependence for spiritual and temporal instruction, and for salvation in the end. These persons do not depend upon themselves for salvation, but upon another of their poor, weak, fellow mortals. I do not depend upon any inherent goodness of my own, say they, to introduce me into the kingdom of glory, but I depend upon you, brother Joseph, upon you, brother Brigham, upon you, brother Heber, or upon you, brother James; I believe your judgment is superior to mine, and consequently I let you judge for me; your spirit is better than mine, therefore you can do good for me; I will submit myself wholly to you, and place in you all my confidence for life and salvation; where you go I will go, and where you tarry there I will stay; expecting that you will introduce me through the gates into the heavenly Jerusalem....Now those men, or those women, who know no more about the power of God, and the influences of the Holy Spirit, than to be led entirely by another person, suspending their own understanding, and pinning their faith upon another's sleeve, will never be capable of entering into the celestial glory, to be crowned as they anticipate; they will never be capable of becoming Gods. They cannot rule themselves, to say nothing of ruling others, but they must be dictated to in every trifle, like a child. They cannot control themselves in the least, but James, Peter, or somebody else must control them, They never can become Gods, nor be crowned as rulers with glory, immortality, and eternal lives. They never can hold scepters of glory, majesty, and power in the celestial kingdom. Who will? Those who are valiant and inspired with the true independence of heaven, who will go forth boldly in the service of their God, leaving others to do as they please, determined to do right, though all mankind besides should take the opposite course." - Brigham Young
Peace,
Amonhi

FTC
captain of 100

Post by FTC »

Show me the scripture that has these specific words, in this specific arrangment: "Follow the prophet", and I'll buy into it.

Just as a heads up, I can easily find several scriptures that specifically state Follow Jesus Christ.

rewcox
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by rewcox »

FTC wrote:Show me the scripture that has these specific words, in this specific arrangment: "Follow the prophet", and I'll buy into it.

Just as a heads up, I can easily find several scriptures that specifically state Follow Jesus Christ.
The Book of Mormon shows all things...

Like this:
34 And now behold, my brethren, ye know that these commandments were given to our father, Lehi; wherefore, ye have known them before; and ye have come unto great condemnation; for ye have done these things which ye ought not to have done.

Did these guys listen to what Lehi had said (follow)? Or Nephi for that matter? Follow the prophet is all over the place.

rewcox
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by rewcox »

Also, you have to watch out for some posters in the internet world:
As we diligently focus on the Savior and then follow His pattern of focusing on joy, we need to avoid those things that can interrupt our joy. Remember Korihor, the anti-Christ? Spewing falsehoods about the Savior, Korihor went from place to place until he was brought before a high priest who asked him: “Why do ye go about perverting the ways of the Lord? Why do ye teach this people that there shall be no Christ, to interrupt their rejoicings?”

Anything that opposes Christ or His doctrine will interrupt our joy. That includes the philosophies of men, so abundant online and in the blogosphere, which do exactly what Korihor did.
Joy and Spirtual Survival

FTC
captain of 100

Post by FTC »

Of course you didn't post scripture that has those specific and exact words. You can't. Because there are none. The only way one can twist the catch phrase "follow the prophet" is to twist scripture.

Here's some scriptures that need no twisting:
Old Testament: 1 Samuel 12:20 "And Samuel said unto the people, Fear not: ye have done all this wickedness: yet turn not aside from following the Lord, but serve the Lord with all your heart;"
New Testament, Jesus Himself: Matthew 8:22 "But Jesus said unto him, Follow me; and let the dead bury their dead."
New Testament, Jesus' apostles: 1 Peter 2:21 "For even hereunto were ye called: because Christ also suffered for us, leaving us an example, that ye should follow his steps:
Book of Mormon: 2 Nephi 31:10 "And he said unto the children of men: Follow thou me. Wherefore, my beloved brethren, can we follow Jesus save we shall be willing to keep the commandments of the Father?"
D&C: D&C 56:2 "And he that will not take up his cross and follow me, and keep my commandments, the same shall not be saved."

This may come as a surprise to hook, line, and sinker slurping mormons, but Jesus Christ trumps the prophet.
That idiotic primary song Follow the Prophet, I taught my kids to sing it different: Follow the Jesus. I always get a good chuckle when I hear their Follow the Jesus voices in primary. :D
The only thing a true servant of the Lord should preach is to follow Jesus Christ.