Follow the Prophet is Doctrinal!

For discussing the Church, Gospel of Jesus Christ, Mormonism, etc.
rewcox
Level 34 Illuminated

Follow the Prophet is Doctrinal!

Post by rewcox »

The Book of Mormon is such a wonderful set of scriptures, a gift from God!

In 2nd Nephi 1, we learn it is wise to follow the prophet:
14 Awake! and arise from the dust, and hear the words of a trembling parent, whose limbs ye must soon lay down in the cold and silent grave, from whence no traveler can return; a few more days and I go the way of all the earth.

20 And he hath said that: Inasmuch as ye shall keep my commandments ye shall prosper in the land; but inasmuch as ye will not keep my commandments ye shall be cut off from my presence.

21 And now that my soul might have joy in you, and that my heart might leave this world with gladness because of you, that I might not be brought down with grief and sorrow to the grave, arise from the dust, my sons, and be men, and be determined in one mind and in one heart, united in all things, that ye may not come down into captivity;

28 And now my son, Laman, and also Lemuel and Sam, and also my sons who are the sons of Ishmael, behold, if ye will hearken unto the voice of Nephi ye shall not perish. And if ye will hearken unto him I leave unto you a blessing, yea, even my first blessing.

Finrock
captain of 1,000

Re: Follow the Prophet is Doctrinal!

Post by Finrock »

Who was really speaking here? Lehi or the Spirit?

Why would Lehi want his sons to hearken to Nephi? Because he is a prophet or because Nephi had the Spirit?

We can only know if someone is speaking by the Spirit if we have the Spirit. When the Spirit is speaking and we hear the Spirit are we following the mouthpiece or the Spirit?

God is Spirit. We follow God, the Spirit, not a title.

-Finrock

Robert Sinclair
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robert Sinclair »

As written in Jeremiah 23:37---

"Thus shalt thou say unto the prophet, What hath the LORD answered thee? and, What hath the LORD spoken?

These 2 questions, Enoch, Moses, Nephi, and Joseph Smith, would be more than happy to tell you.

This is how to tell in the "latter days" and consider perfectly, what is happening.

See Jeremiah 23:16-22.

The truth, and nothing more than the truth, ask for it.

As for the "latter days" Moroni repeated to Joseph Smith 4 times whom the people soon after him, are to hearken unto, or perish, and that prophet is "Jesus Christ", alone. (See Joseph Smith History 1:40, also see how many times this message was repeated.)

The heads of Ephraim, ought to acknowledge this, as written in Hosea 5:15.

:)

rewcox
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by rewcox »

One of the articles of faith states:
6 We believe in the same organization that existed in the Primitive Church, namely, apostles, prophets, pastors, teachers, evangelists, and so forth.
Since the restoration and the organization of the church in the latter-days, we have enjoyed apostles and prophets to lead our church.

I have always appreciated and enjoyed having our leaders and the direction they give, which comes from Christ. Each conference I listen to their talks, talks received through the Spirit, and I have felt and understood that Spirit, and confirmed their messages.

Yes, we do better when we listen to the Prophet, and the apostles. Just like those who followed Nephi.

Robert Sinclair
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robert Sinclair »

The Primitive Church was organized with them having "All Things Common" among them, see Acts 2:44 & 4:32 & 3 Nephi 26:19 & 4 Nephi verse 3.

These people all fell away bit by bit, by rejecting first having "All Things Common", see 4 Nephi verse 25 where it is written---

"And from that time forth they did have their goods and their substance no more common among them."

Ephraim's heads need to acknowledge this offence, repair this breach, and restore this path to dwell in.

Then as promised the LORD will hide his face no more from them but answer when they call as written in Isaiah 58:9---

"Then shalt thou call, and the LORD shall answer; thou shalt cry, and he shall say, Here I am."

Yes, even as it has been written, O House of Ephraim, and invited guests, only acknowledge this offence, and atone as it has been written to so do.

:)

zionminded
captain of 1,000

Post by zionminded »

Following a prophet is a very, very basic telestial commandment for those who cannot follow Christ or the Father directly. It is a back up plan, hence, it is acceptable for Lehi to give Laman and Lemuel this counsel. In contrast, Nephi was given different advice, and taught to his righteous children:

2 Ne 25
26 And we talk of Christ, we rejoice in Christ, we preach of Christ, we prophesy of Christ, and we write according to our prophecies, that our children may know to what source they may look for a remission of their sins.

27 Wherefore, we speak concerning the law that our children may know the deadness of the law; and they, by knowing the deadness of the law, may look forward unto that life which is in Christ, and know for what end the law was given. And after the law is fulfilled in Christ, that they need not harden their hearts against him when the law ought to be done away.
The law required to follow a prophet (i.e. Moses, Lehi etc.). But nephi knew this was not how the Lord worked. Later, Mosiah made clear when suggesting that a King (a sort of prophet), would not be in the best interests of the people:

Mosaih 29
16 Now I say unto you, that because all men are not just it is not expedient that ye should have a king or kings to rule over you.

17 For behold, how much iniquity doth one wicked king cause to be committed, yea, and what great destruction!
This is why following Christ is the only format, unless the people cannot do that., and are given the lesser law. Jacob says this pretty clear, that they were afraid the Lord would give the nephites the lesser law.

Jacob 1
7 Wherefore we labored diligently among our people, that we might persuade them to come unto Christ, and partake of the goodness of God, that they might enter into his rest, lest by any means he should swear in his wrath they should not enter in, as in the provocation in the days of temptation while the children of Israel were in the wilderness.

rewcox
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by rewcox »

zionminded wrote:Following a prophet is a very, very basic telestial commandment for those who cannot follow Christ or the Father directly. It is a back up plan, hence, it is acceptable for Lehi to give Laman and Lemuel this counsel. In contrast, Nephi was given different advice, and taught to his righteous children:

2 Ne 25
26 And we talk of Christ, we rejoice in Christ, we preach of Christ, we prophesy of Christ, and we write according to our prophecies, that our children may know to what source they may look for a remission of their sins.

27 Wherefore, we speak concerning the law that our children may know the deadness of the law; and they, by knowing the deadness of the law, may look forward unto that life which is in Christ, and know for what end the law was given. And after the law is fulfilled in Christ, that they need not harden their hearts against him when the law ought to be done away.
The law required to follow a prophet (i.e. Moses, Lehi etc.). But nephi knew this was not how the Lord worked. Later, Mosiah made clear when suggesting that a King (a sort of prophet), would not be in the best interests of the people:

Mosaih 29
16 Now I say unto you, that because all men are not just it is not expedient that ye should have a king or kings to rule over you.

17 For behold, how much iniquity doth one wicked king cause to be committed, yea, and what great destruction!
This is why following Christ is the only format, unless the people cannot do that., and are given the lesser law. Jacob says this pretty clear, that they were afraid the Lord would give the nephites the lesser law.

Jacob 1
7 Wherefore we labored diligently among our people, that we might persuade them to come unto Christ, and partake of the goodness of God, that they might enter into his rest, lest by any means he should swear in his wrath they should not enter in, as in the provocation in the days of temptation while the children of Israel were in the wilderness.
The servants do labor diligently for us to come unto Christ, they are one with Christ in the work. Christ setup His church with apostles and prophets. Those people who follow the higher law, understand, and happily become servants in Christ's work. Which work is done through Christ's church, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints.

Mark
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Mark »

Later, Mosiah made clear when suggesting that a King (a sort of prophet), would not be in the best interests of the people:

Mosaih 29

This is the best you can do? :))

e-eye2.0
captain of 100

Post by e-eye2.0 »

Following the prophet a telestial commandment? - good grief. Let me phrase this correctly - not following the prophet will land you in the telestial kingdom.

I guess I am looking forward to the day I can move beyond following the council of the Lords prophets. @-)

I would consider this line of thinking equal to the many instances in the scriptures where the prophets were cast out. I would even say that there is little to no difference from those who cast out the prophets physically in the scriptures, to those who do so today in their hearts.
Last edited by e-eye2.0 on August 15th, 2016, 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Durzan
The Lord's Trusty Maverick

Post by Durzan »

Two are right in this thread, methinks.

Follow the prophet, we must. But follow the Spirit as well, we too must do. Teaches through both, God does. Moses and Joseph wished for all of us prophets to be, but stubborn we are. Asked for one mouth piece at Mt. Sinai, Israel did. We do the same, I think. Yet how many choose to listen, hmm? Hypocrites, we all are.

Obrien
Up, up and away.

Post by Obrien »

rewcox wrote:The Book of Mormon is such a wonderful set of scriptures, a gift from God!

14 Awake! and arise from the dust, and hear the words of a trembling parent, whose limbs ye must soon lay down in the cold and silent grave, from whence no traveler can return; a few more days and I go the way of all the earth.

20 And he hath said that: Inasmuch as ye shall keep my commandments ye shall prosper in the land; but inasmuch as ye will not keep my commandments ye shall be cut off from my presence.

21 And now that my soul might have joy in you, and that my heart might leave this world with gladness because of you, that I might not be brought down with grief and sorrow to the grave, arise from the dust, my sons, and be men, and be determined in one mind and in one heart, united in all things, that ye may not come down into captivity;

28 And now my son, Laman, and also Lemuel and Sam, and also my sons who are the sons of Ishmael, behold, if ye will hearken unto the voice of Nephi ye shall not perish. And if ye will hearken unto him I leave unto you a blessing, yea, even my first blessing.
From Jacob:
2 Nephi 9:41 - O then, my beloved brethren, come unto the Lord, the Holy One. Remember that his paths are righteous. Behold, the way for man is narrow, but it lieth in a straight course before him, and the keeper of the gate is the Holy One of Israel; and he employeth no servant there; and there is none other way save it be by the gate; for he cannot be deceived, for the Lord God is his name.

Lehi's words seem directed to a very specific audience (his wicked children and in laws). I'm not sure how that carries over to our day and the structure we have in LDSCo. Nice try, Hillary Rewcox, in trying to assuage "the remnant", but you'll have to do better than that.

rewcox
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by rewcox »

Obrien wrote:
rewcox wrote:The Book of Mormon is such a wonderful set of scriptures, a gift from God!

From Jacob:
2 Nephi 9:41 - O then, my beloved brethren, come unto the Lord, the Holy One. Remember that his paths are righteous. Behold, the way for man is narrow, but it lieth in a straight course before him, and the keeper of the gate is the Holy One of Israel; and he employeth no servant there; and there is none other way save it be by the gate; for he cannot be deceived, for the Lord God is his name.

Lehi's words seem directed to a very specific audience (his wicked children and in laws). I'm not sure how that carries over to our day and the structure we have in LDSCo. Nice try, Hillary Rewcox, in trying to assuage "the remnant", but you'll have to do better than that.
I like your example of Jacob, the prophet, set apart by Nephi, giving words of council to the people. This continues throughout the Book of Mormon. When Jesus visited, he setup the 12 disciples in His new organization format. The Book of Mormon is great!

Finrock
captain of 1,000

Post by Finrock »

Rewcox,

It's okay that you follow the prophet for a time. I don't mean to condescend, but we all need training wheels for a time. Some longer than others. Eventually, though, If you are to be Gods and Goddesses, you will need to take the training wheels off. We must learn to govern ourselves and stand on our own two feet. It is comfortable and easier to let others to do the thinking for us, but it is more rewarding and ultimately what God and His true apostles want, is for us to receive the Holy Ghost and come to Jesus Christ.

There is no conflict here, only what stage of your spiritual journey you are in. It seems scary to think we can live by the Spirit and according to the dictates of our own conscience but God is inside of each. Trust that God inside of you and do not be afraid!

-Finrock

Obrien
Up, up and away.

Post by Obrien »

Finrock wrote:Rewcox,

It's okay that you follow the prophet for a time. I don't mean to condescend, but we all need training wheels for a time. Some longer than others. Eventually, though, If you are to be Gods and Goddesses, you will need to take the training wheels off. We must learn to govern ourselves and stand on our own two feet. It is comfortable and easier to let others to do the thinking for us, but it is more rewarding and ultimately what God and His true apostles want, is for us to receive the Holy Ghost and come to Jesus Christ.

There is no conflict here, only what stage of your spiritual journey you are in. It seems scary to think we can live by the Spirit and according to the dictates of our own conscience but God is inside of each. Trust that God inside of you and do not be afraid!

-Finrock
Finrock - stated eloquently, succinctly and far more charitably than my planned response. I'll leave it at that.

rewcox
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by rewcox »

-Finrock
I'm not afraid. We have seen where the "remnant" types go, thinking it's about training wheels and they have taken them off. By the fruits Finrock, by the fruits.

Finrock
captain of 1,000

Post by Finrock »

rewcox wrote:

-Finrock
I'm not afraid. We have seen where the "remnant" types go, thinking it's about training wheels and they have taken them off. By the fruits Finrock, by the fruits.
My advice to you, my brother or sister (don't know your sex): Don't worry about the Remnant types, whatever or whoever you think they are. Try not to stereotype or to clump all things together. Life isn't bipolar. There are many options available to us. It doesn't have to be one or the other. Unless I'm interpreting you incorrectly it appears that your agenda is to "fight" against a particular group or person. That is contending. Honestly seek after truth and let your heart be pure and without any objective other than to obtain further light and knowledge.

There need not be any conflict. Sometimes grouping things in to types can be helpful but it isn't always the best way to approach things.

The truth is that every true prophet or apostle has taught us to become independent of men/women and to seek the Spirit. It truly is the higher law. Does that mean that we give up our associations and start ridiculing or finding fault? Hell no! It means the exact opposite. That is the fruits I am looking for. I have no desires except to help further that which is good. I believe all true prophets want the same. They rejoice when others have found the Spirit. Yes, it seems scary. Yes, it seems like you might lose your way. Yes, there is risk. Yes, you can be deceived, but, there are some constants that I have learned which bring a sure foundation to our efforts. Charity is the surest. It never fails.

Anyways, don't be on a team. Don't be a respecter of persons. Hope this makes sense. I am not against you. I'm for you.

-Finrock

rewcox
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by rewcox »

Finrock wrote:
rewcox wrote:

-Finrock
My advice to you, my brother or sister (don't know your sex): Don't worry about the Remnant types, whatever or whoever you think they are. Try not to stereotype or to clump all things together. Life isn't bipolar. There are many options available to us. It doesn't have to be one or the other. Unless I'm interpreting you incorrectly it appears that your agenda is to "fight" against a particular group or person. That is contending. Honestly seek after truth and let your heart be pure and without any objective other than to obtain further light and knowledge.

There need not be any conflict. Sometimes grouping things in to types can be helpful but it isn't always the best way to approach things.

The truth is that every true prophet or apostle has taught us to become independent of men/women and to seek the Spirit. It truly is the higher law. Does that mean that we give up our associations and start ridiculing or finding fault? Hell no! It means the exact opposite. That is the fruits I am looking for. I have no desires except to help further that which is good. I believe all true prophets want the same. They rejoice when others have found the Spirit. Yes, it seems scary. Yes, it seems like you might lose your way. Yes, there is risk. Yes, you can be deceived, but, there are some constants that I have learned which bring a sure foundation to our efforts. Charity is the surest. It never fails.

Anyways, don't be on a team. Don't be a respecter of persons. Hope this makes sense. I am not against you. I'm for you.

-Finrock
I've already mentioned that servants:
The servants do labor diligently for us to come unto Christ, they are one with Christ in the work. Christ setup His church with apostles and prophets. Those people who follow the higher law, understand, and happily become servants in Christ's work. Which work is done through Christ's church, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints
Not sure what you are trying to say.

e-eye2.0
captain of 100

Post by e-eye2.0 »

-Finrock
Let's get on the same page here - Of course we must follow the spirit, of course we need it to come unto Jesus Christ we are not saying that through the living prophets is how one must come unto Christ.

Let me clarify my position of prophets - If prophets are training wheels then I will take as many sets as I can get, give me some ancient ones that are bold, some current ones that are old, ones that lived here or some that lived there, some in a boat, some on a moat, I will take them on a wall, I will take them with a mall ;). The Lord established prophets - it's his true order of how he guides the church today.

Yes we need to learn and follow the spirit we can't have everything handed to us it's so important in a world today so don't assume we would ever need to get rid of either. With no spirit the people dwindle - when people were righteous they had prophets it's when they were wicked that they cast them out.

Finrock
captain of 1,000

Post by Finrock »

rewcox wrote:
Finrock wrote:
rewcox wrote:

-Finrock

-Finrock
I've already mentioned that servants:
The servants do labor diligently for us to come unto Christ, they are one with Christ in the work. Christ setup His church with apostles and prophets. Those people who follow the higher law, understand, and happily become servants in Christ's work. Which work is done through Christ's church, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints
Not sure what you are trying to say.
True apostles and prophets do not want followers. They want individuals who will accept their message to come on to Christ. An organization or an assembly exist, not for the purpose to bringing individuals in to subjection of "priesthood leaders", but rather so that more good can be brought about and that the gospel can be taught.

An apostle is a witness of Jesus Christ. The LDS church has changed this definition to mean a witness of the name of Christ, but anciently, they were a witness of the reality of Christ. They were an ensample to people of what it means to be a Christian. Through their fruits and by the manifestation of the Spirit they teach and direct people to Christ.

I don't know exactly what you mean, but based on your posts, you place prophets and apostles on a pedestal and it seems you believe that we should subject ourselves to their authority and follow them, no matter what they say or do. I could be very wrong in this. The implication of your OP also points to the idea that it is imperative that we "Follow the Prophet". This term is not scriptural and it is misplaced. Yes, children should be taught to follow the righteous examples of their parents. For a time it is good to follow the prophets, especially if we don't have experience, knowledge, strength or are full of sin. But even in what I perceive to be your paradigm, do you not see that if you truly are to "follow the prophet" you will not subject yourself to any man? Do you not see that you are equal (not greater than or less than) to any man? Do you not see that you have direct access to be lead by Jesus Christ, if you so desire, without the intervention of others or without subjecting yourself to the dictates of another person's conscience?

Not all of the work of Christ is done or administered by and through the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. This organization is a temporary organization and will be done away once "...we all come in the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, unto a perfect man, unto the measure of the stature of the fulness of Christ: 14 That we henceforth be no more children, tossed to and fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the sleight of men, and cunning craftiness, whereby they lie in wait to deceive; 15 But speaking the truth in love, may grow up into him in all things, which is the head, even Christ:"

All can become prophets, apostles, kings, queens, Gods and Goddesses. Christ is where it is at.

Don't limit your potential by subjecting yourself or your conscience to another mortal.

-Finrock

Finrock
captain of 1,000

Post by Finrock »

e-eye2.0 wrote: Let's get on the same page here - Of course we must follow the spirit, of course we need it to come unto Jesus Christ we are not saying that through the living prophets is how one must come unto Christ.
To clarify, are you saying that in order to come unto Christ, we must go through living prophets?
e-eye2.0 wrote:Let me clarify my position of prophets - If prophets are training wheels then I will take as many sets as I can get, give me some ancient ones that are bold, some current ones that are old, ones that lived here or some that lived there, some in a boat, some on a moat, I will take them on a wall, I will take them with a mall ;). The Lord established prophets - it's his true order of how he guides the church today.

Yes we need to learn and follow the spirit we can't have everything handed to us it's so important in a world today so don't assume we would ever need to get rid of either.

If I really want to go far, fast, and do really cool things with my bike, I must get rid of the training wheels on my bike. I agree that I shouldn't then turn around and ban training wheels for everyone else and say they are useless. But, eventually my biking will be severely and detrimentally limited if I don't learn to live without the training wheels.
e-eye2.0 wrote:With no spirit the people dwindle - when people were righteous they had prophets it's when they were wicked that they cast them out.
Scriptures seem to indicate that when the people were wicked, God raises up a Moses type because they lacked faith in Christ.

-Finrock

Isaiah
captain of 100

Post by Isaiah »

WHEN are members going to get it
The prophet is not God or Jesus Christ !
sometimes by the way they sound, I think many think he is.
Following the prophet gets you to the prophet. NOT CHRIST !
Just because the prophet believes and follows Christ
DOES NOT mean that when you follow the prophet you
somehow automatically know Christ. It takes just a little
more work than that.
You have to want it.
"Ask, and it shall be given unto you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you"

Knowing Christ and having his spirit with you, and YOUR relationship
with HIM is the most important thing in this life that we can do.
and you DON'T get that just by following the prophet.

Feast upon the words of Christ.
Jesus Christ is the ONLY one we need to look to.

We need to put our faith in Christ - and not in the church and it's leaders.
It's CHRIST'S church and we need to look to him
and have his spirit with us to guide and direct us.
He's the one that died for us and the ONLY one that can save us.
Christ teaching.jpg
Christ teaching.jpg (105.06 KiB) Viewed 2448 times
You can't live or be saved on borrowed light.
If you follow the prophet or the GA's of the church
expecting to be saved, you will be lost.
You can not follow someone into heaven.

The prophet can't save you.
Going to church won't save you.
Have you forgotten who's church this is !
JESUS CHRIST is the ONLY ONE that can save YOU !
seek to know him ! the one that died for YOU !

John 14:6
"I am the way, the truth, and the life:
no man cometh unto the Father, but by me."

2 Nephi 25:26
"And we talk of Christ, we rejoice in Christ,
we preach of Christ, we prophesy of Christ,
and we write according to our prophecies,
that our children may know to what source
they may look for a remission of their sins."

2 Nephi 31:20
"Wherefore, ye must press forward
with a steadfastness in Christ,
having a perfect brightness of hope,
and a love of God and of all men.
Wherefore, if ye shall press forward,
feasting upon the word of Christ,
and endure to the end, behold,
thus saith the Father:
Ye shall have eternal life."

2 Nephi 32
3 "Angels speak by the power of the Holy Ghost; wherefore, they speak the words of Christ. Wherefore, I said unto you, feast upon the words of Christ; for behold, the words of Christ will tell you all things what ye should do."

3 Nephi 11
36 "And thus will the Father bear record of me, and the Holy Ghost will bear record unto him of the Father and me; for the Father, and I, and the Holy Ghost are one."

rewcox
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by rewcox »

Sorry folks, you are choking on some false beliefs. Just as Lehi asked his sons to follow Nephi, we should also follow the prophet/s, because the prophets lead us to Christ. Christ setup his church accordingly.

Following the Prophet is doctrinal, following your made up beliefs is not.

Isaiah
captain of 100

Post by Isaiah »

rewcox wrote:Sorry folks, you are choking on some false beliefs. Just as Lehi asked his sons to follow Nephi, we should also follow the prophet/s, because the prophets lead us to Christ. Christ setup his church accordingly.

true - we follow the prophets - and in turn that may lead to being closer to Christ,
but to actually know Christ and have Him with you and work through you is a very personal thing - NO middle guy - just YOU and HIM.
Last edited by Isaiah on August 16th, 2016, 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Finrock
captain of 1,000

Post by Finrock »

rewcox wrote:Sorry folks, you are choking on some false beliefs. Just as Lehi asked his sons to follow Nephi, we should also follow the prophet/s, because the prophets lead us to Christ. Christ setup his church accordingly.

Proof by assertion just means you aren't interested in learning/dialoging and have chosen to disengage. This indicates that at this point you still have an agenda outside of pure truth and knowledge.

I'm sorry to see you end the dialogue.

-Finrock

Rachael
Captain of whatever

Post by Rachael »

Hebrews 1:1God, who at sundry times and in divers manners spake in time past unto the fathers by the prophets, 2Hath in these last days spoken unto us by his Son, whom he hath appointed heir of all things, by whom also he made the worlds; 3Who being the brightness of his glory, and the express image of his person, and upholding all things by the word of his power, when he had by himself purged our sins, sat down on the right hand of the Majesty on high; 4Being made so much better than the angels, as he hath by inheritance obtained a more excellent name than they