Sealed portion of the plates

For discussing the Church, Gospel of Jesus Christ, Mormonism, etc.
Hopefull
captain of 50

Sealed portion of the plates

Post by Hopefull »

Please forgive me if I am way off base. I am very far from having a deep understanding of the scriptures.

With the release of the photos of the seer stones, I wondered if they were shown to everyone because they would be used in the near future.

With different GC talks and topics, I have felt for some time that it is going to be harder and harder to follow the prophet and have wondered what it could be that would make it so hard. I know the LGBTQ issues were a tipping point for many but certainly not for everyone. I feel like it is going to get harder.

So I was reading yesterday in Either about the Brother of Jared.

Either 1:2-5 "2 And I take mine account from the twenty and four plates which were found by the people of Limhi, which is called the Book of Ether.

3 And as I suppose that the first part of this record, which speaks concerning the creation of the world, and also of Adam, and an account from that time even to the great tower, and whatsoever things transpired among the children of men until that time, is had among the Jews--

4 Therefore I do not write those things which transpired from the days of Adam until that time; but they are had upon the plates; and whoso findeth them, the same will have power that he may get the full account.

5 But behold, I give not the full account, but a part of the account I give, from the tower down until they were destroyed.

Now we believe the Bible to be the word of God as FAR as it is translated correctly. As I read this I seriously wondered if these are what is part of the sealed plates. More biblical information including the "plain and precious truths that were removed." I wonder if they will be unsealed in the near future and cause a major uproar. I am thinking that there's doesn't need to be any major revelations(in our eyes), just enough difference from the current Bible that we currently are use to that will cause a lot of ridicule from the main people of the world. Enough for people standing near the fence to push them over.

Just a thought.

Rachael
Captain of whatever

Re: Sealed portion of the plates

Post by Rachael »

There's a guy, Christopher Nemelka, that claims he translated the sealed portion of the BoM.
http://www.mrm.org/christopher-nemelka" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

jbalm
The Third Comforter

Post by jbalm »

I wouldn't hold my breath.

ebenezerarise
captain of 1,000

Post by ebenezerarise »

I doubt it too. The seal portions, I believe, are being held in reserve for....a more righteous time and a more righteous people.

jwharton
captain of 1,000

Post by jwharton »

Rachael wrote:There's a guy, Christopher Nemelka, that claims he translated the sealed portion of the BoM.
http://www.mrm.org/christopher-nemelka" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
He was also caught on candid camera admitting that it was all a work of his own imagination.
He said his purpose in doing this was to be able to claim that Joseph Smith Jr. did the same thing to start with.

jwharton
captain of 1,000

Post by jwharton »

The sealed portion exists within our existing scriptures.
That's what it means that they are sealed.
We have them it's just that people fail to open the seals.

Joseph Smith Jr. did gain access to this and tried to help people see it too but they couldn't get out of the precepts of men that orthodox Christianity had their minds so entrenched in.

The temple endowment is designed to open up the seals for those who finally come to understand what all the symbols, keys, tokens, etc. mean.
In fact, I dare say the endowment ceremony is a presentation of the seals of the sealed portion. That's why it is such an important part of our faith.

butterfly
captain of 1,000

Post by butterfly »

Rachael wrote:There's a guy, Christopher Nemelka, that claims he translated the sealed portion of the BoM.
Isn't he the one who wrote the sealed portion himself, but told everyone it was inspired- then after all these people testified that the Holy Ghost told them the book was true, he came out and explained how he'd written it himself. His point was to prove how easy it is for man to write scripture and for people to be deceived by their feelings.

Rachael
Captain of whatever

Post by Rachael »

Yeah, but poor Ida Smith...

butterfly
captain of 1,000

Post by butterfly »

I know. I felt bad for her.

letsjet
captain of 100

Post by letsjet »

The sealed portion of the Book of Mormon is supposed to be revealed sometime in the Dispensation of the Fullness of Time prior to the Millennium.

Ether chapter 4 verses 6 and 7 tell us that when the Gentiles repent and have the faith of the Brother of Jared, then those records will come forth. Imagine large numbers of people having the same faith as the Brother of Jared!

Ether 4:16 says that the writings of John the Apostle will also will be "unfolded." I take that to mean that the Book of Revelations will become easier to understand.

Great things are suppose to take place in the future. Perhaps they will happen soon. :)

jwharton
captain of 1,000

Post by jwharton »

Yes, she is who I thought of first.
I remember having a bad feeling about that book and so I never even read it.

Hopefull
captain of 50

Post by Hopefull »

#-o Well, back to the drawing board I suppose.

jwharton
captain of 1,000

Post by jwharton »

Hopefull wrote:#-o Well, back to the drawing board I suppose.
Nobody seems to have picked up on my earlier comments about it.
I believe the sealed portion is hidden in plain sight.

Hopefull
captain of 50

Post by Hopefull »

jwharton wrote:
Hopefull wrote:#-o Well, back to the drawing board I suppose.
Nobody seems to have picked up on my earlier comments about it.
I believe the sealed portion is hidden in plain sight.
I'm sorry. I did, but I haven't had the privilege of going through the temple yet so didn't know what to make of it. I was planning a n doing some more research about what you said though. :ymhug:

Rachael
Captain of whatever

Post by Rachael »

I've been through, but I didn't see any connection to the BoM in the ceremony. But jwharton cant connect the dots for us because it's too sacred to discuss. The only Book of Mormony connection is Moroni on top of the edifice.

jwharton
captain of 1,000

Post by jwharton »

Rachael wrote:I've been through, but I didn't see any connection to the BoM in the ceremony.
The sealed portion was found on plates that were accompanying the plates from which the Book of Mormon was translated.
Try to think about the prophesies and history of the sacred records that were handed down to Mormon and Moroni.
Rachael wrote:But jwharton cant connect the dots for us because it's too sacred to discuss.
I consider this a bit of an underhanded measure.
Why assume such when you haven't even asked?
Rachael wrote:The only Book of Mormon connection is Moroni on top of the edifice.
I'm certainly willing to walk away leaving you with that belief.

Rachael
Captain of whatever

Post by Rachael »

You cannot discuss this without breaking the covenant to never discuss outside of a temple since we are not in a celestial room somewhere. So I will diminish and dwindle in unbelief ( in your mind) in not getting the connection.

jwharton
captain of 1,000

Post by jwharton »

Rachael wrote:You cannot discuss this without breaking the covenant to never discuss outside of a temple since we are not in a celestial room somewhere. So I will diminish and dwindle in unbelief ( in your mind) in not getting the connection.
Ok, it seems I misunderstood your intent in saying what you did.
You are correct I wouldn't reveal those signs, keywords and tokens.
But, that isn't what I had in mind talking about anyway.
And, even if it was along those lines...
why would I need to tell you something you already have knowledge of?
Or, are you someone who has never been through the temple?

Rachael
Captain of whatever

Post by Rachael »

I have been. But the sign, keywords, and tokens are not in the BoM. If they are, you can point that out, since the BoM is public

Rachael
Captain of whatever

Post by Rachael »

And only biblical characters are in the endowment part. No Nephi(s), Lehi, Alma, Amulek, Mosiah, zip..

Rachael
Captain of whatever

Post by Rachael »

But I don't want to get this thread 'sealed' so I'm dropping it.

Edit: oops, fail.
Last edited by Rachael on April 24th, 2016, 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hopefull
captain of 50

Post by Hopefull »

So I found this today and have been skimming through it. It's a little lengthy. But, going back to my original thought, I think it is still plausible. But also can fit with what JWharton had to say. Maybe what is contained in the sealed plates is things we already "know" or have been spoken of in the past, but is not canonized doctorine. Maybe that is what is in the endowment ceremony?

https://ojs.lib.byu.edu/spc/index.php/J ... 9953/18518" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Rachael
Captain of whatever

Post by Rachael »

Which one? I went during a transition time. Then discovered there were several transitions/changes.

Rachael
Captain of whatever

Post by Rachael »

The book of Enoch is much closer to a tad of resembling the endowment than the Book of Mormon imo

jwharton
captain of 1,000

Post by jwharton »

The sealed portion is all Holy Writ but the seals to all of Holy Writ were contained on another set of plates that accompanied the Book of Mormon plates.
The seals were not in any of the Jaredite records because they only started up their records when Jared and his brother left the tower of Babel.
The seals were located in the brass plates acquired from Laban.