Khor Kharfot, Oman as Nephi's Bountiful - Richard Hauck

For discussing the Church, Gospel of Jesus Christ, Mormonism, etc.
larsenb
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: Khor Kharfot, Oman as Nephi's Bountiful - Richard Hauck

Post by larsenb »

Todd wrote:Finding the name NHM in an area that corresponds to Lehi's journey is significant -- to a believing Mormon. But it does not fit into the anti-mormon narrative that Joseph Smith just made up the whole thing and that there is not a shred of evidence that supports his 19th century Christian fan fiction book.

Therefore, the anti's will dismiss ANYTHING as coincidence or insignificant in order to keep their world upright.

Unless you dig up a grave that says: "Ishmael, friend of Lehi, was buried here after he fled Jerusalem" don't expect people like Jesef to be impressed.
Quite true.

This can be described as the anti's own confirmation bias . . . which in this case confirms their own apologetic stance expressed by their belief that the Book of Mormon is not true.

But I strongly think that most people who are not encumbered by preconceptions as to the truth of the Book of Mormon, would be impressed with the evidence that Nahom in the BofM corresponds with Nehem and NHM found in this area. However, many of these might just think it's a remarkable coincidence.

larsenb
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by larsenb »

I'm bumping this up one more time. There appear to be people coming into this thread using search engine searches on 'Khor Kharfot'.

Many Khor Kharfot video links can be found at: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=41629#p752231" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also, an excellent video put together by Chad Aston and narrated by Scot Proctor, called: Lehi in Arabia, can be purchased at the following link: http://www.lehiinarabia.com/p/blog-page_8.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; . Proceeds will go to the Khor Kharfot Foundation to help further research of this site.

This video basically covers the research by Chad's father, Warren, regarding the route of the Lehiites from Jerusalem to the first land of Bountiful.
Warren Aston, BTW, is the one who discovered the existence of Nahom in present day Yemen. .

Fascinating stuff.

Another video well worth watching is called: Journey Of Faith - Book of Mormon Documentary at: https://youtu.be/i_M_Faw_s3s" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; . This is REALLY good and is narrated by Dr. Truman Madsen and his wife, Ann N. Madsen, Dr. S. Kent Brown, Dr. William J. Hamblin, Dr. Daniel Peterson, Dr. John W. Welch, Jo Anne H. Seely, etc.

Teancum
captain of 100

Post by Teancum »

Larsenb,

Thanks for posting this very interesting thread here. I have to admit that I just now stumbled upon this thread of yours, as I don't usually even look at the main headings for this section.

As to Jesef's comments about not seeing any evidences here in the americas, the problem as I see it is twofold.

First, seeing takes an eye that is willing to look, and a mind that is willing to try to understand. Oliver Cowdery found this out the hard way. He just thought it would be given to him without any study, pondering, and prayer.

Secondly, many different pieces of the puzzle have actually been found and identified by many different people. But no one has the whole puzzle, therefore when we look at it from an outsider's perspective, there is no puzzle.

The last part is related to the second point. When something is found, more often than not, this discovery goes away into the background noise and is very difficult to hang onto. My belief is, the reason they very often go away, is that God said the testimony of the Nephites were to "hiss forth" from the dust. How can they hiss forth if they are proclaimed with a trumpet from cnn? That WOULD take away the faith that people need to excersize to build a lasting and deep testimony from the Holy Ghost, not from broken pottery, inscriptions, metal records and bloodied and broken swords.

Now to the best part. :) =p~ God has promissed that to those who seek, shall find. And He does keep His promisses. Just be aware that you seek for the right reason, because if you don't, then it can lead to your downfall and destruction.

Anyway, very fun topic. Thanks again,
Ken

larsenb
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by larsenb »

kenssurplus wrote:Larsenb,

Thanks for posting this very interesting thread here. I have to admit that I just now stumbled upon this thread of yours, as I don't usually even look at the main headings for this section.

As to Jesef's comments about not seeing any evidences here in the americas, the problem as I see it is twofold.

First, seeing takes an eye that is willing to look, and a mind that is willing to try to understand. Oliver Cowdery found this out the hard way. He just thought it would be given to him without any study, pondering, and prayer.

Secondly, many different pieces of the puzzle have actually been found and identified by many different people. But no one has the whole puzzle, therefore when we look at it from an outsider's perspective, there is no puzzle.

The last part is related to the second point. When something is found, more often than not, this discovery goes away into the background noise and is very difficult to hang onto. My belief is, the reason they very often go away, is that God said the testimony of the Nephites were to "hiss forth" from the dust. How can they hiss forth if they are proclaimed with a trumpet from cnn? That WOULD take away the faith that people need to excersize to build a lasting and deep testimony from the Holy Ghost, not from broken pottery, inscriptions, metal records and bloodied and broken swords.

Now to the best part. :) =p~ God has promissed that to those who seek, shall find. And He does keep His promisses. Just be aware that you seek for the right reason, because if you don't, then it can lead to your downfall and destruction.

Anyway, very fun topic. Thanks again,
Ken
Yes. The kind of evidence exemplified by what has turned up regarding Lehi's journey is essentially meaningless to non-believers. It will also have little significance to believers, and certainly skeptical 'believers', who are locked into a narrow and perhaps unrealistic view of what they will accept as evidence.

And of course, the latter types will never embark on a course of discovery in the first place.

The big secret of science, in my view, is that a lot of what scientists do is driven by a type of faith. I.e., they have faith that they can collect meaningful data, or that they can develop the means to do so. Then, they have faith that they can find a reasonable interpretation or hypothesis that explains the data; or that they can devise means to test the data for trends, etc.

Generic faith is a component of intelligence, in my view (an idea shared by Hugh Nibley ;) )

larsenb
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by larsenb »

The number of readers of this thread keeps going up, indicating they are coming in via search engines.

Pertinent posts to this thread are at: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=41629#p752231" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; , viewtopic.php?f=14&t=41629#p753255" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; , and viewtopic.php?f=14&t=41629#p753257" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also pertinent:
- Journey Of Faith - Book of Mormon Documentary https://youtu.be/i_M_Faw_s3s" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; . This one is quite long but is REALLY good and is narrated by Dr. Truman Madsen and his wife, Ann N. Madsen, Dr. S. Kent Brown, Dr. William J. Hamblin, Dr. Daniel Peterson, Dr. John W. Welch, Jo Anne H. Seely, etc.

- Chad Aston has been coming to Khor Kharfot for more than 20 years and his father, Warren, who has been going to the area for an even longer period of time. Chad recently produced a DVD called Lehi in Arabia that delves into the findings of his father, primarily. To see a trailer, get more information and/or purchase this DVD, please click here: http://www.lehiinarabia.com/p/blog-page_8.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; . Proceeds will go to the Khor Kharfot Foundation to help furher research of this site. Warren Aston, BTW, is the one who discovered the existence of Nahom in present day Yemen.

larsenb
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by larsenb »

Bump.

This thread was racking up a lot of reads from pages 3,4, and 5 until a couple of days ago. Now that it is on page 6 the reads stopped. I was just wondering if being that far out removed in it from search engine visibility.

I'm just experimenting.

larsenb
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by larsenb »

larsenb wrote:Bump.

This thread was racking up a lot of reads from pages 3,4, and 5 until a couple of days ago. Now that it is on page 6 the reads stopped. I was just wondering if being that far out removed in it from search engine visibility.

I'm just experimenting.
Interesting. The reads immediately jump up by about 30.

larsenb
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by larsenb »

For those of you coming into this forum and Khor Kharfot thread directly from the web, go to: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=41629#p752231" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; , a post in this thread with myriad hyperlinks to videos, etc., on Lehi's journey and the Khor Kharfot site in particular.

larsenb
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by larsenb »

larsenb wrote:The number of readers of this thread keeps going up, indicating they are coming in via search engines.

Pertinent posts to this thread are at: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=41629#p752231" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; , viewtopic.php?f=14&t=41629#p753255" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; , and viewtopic.php?f=14&t=41629#p753257" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also pertinent:
- Journey Of Faith - Book of Mormon Documentary https://youtu.be/i_M_Faw_s3s" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; . This one is quite long but is REALLY good and is narrated by Dr. Truman Madsen and his wife, Ann N. Madsen, Dr. S. Kent Brown, Dr. William J. Hamblin, Dr. Daniel Peterson, Dr. John W. Welch, Jo Anne H. Seely, etc.

- Chad Aston has been coming to Khor Kharfot for more than 20 years and his father, Warren, who has been going to the area for an even longer period of time. Chad recently produced a DVD called Lehi in Arabia that delves into the findings of his father, primarily. To see a trailer, get more information and/or purchase this DVD, please click here: http://www.lehiinarabia.com/p/blog-page_8.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; . Proceeds will go to the Khor Kharfot Foundation to help furher research of this site. Warren Aston, BTW, is the one who discovered the existence of Nahom in present day Yemen.
Bounce

larsenb
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by larsenb »

larsenb wrote:
larsenb wrote:The number of readers of this thread keeps going up, indicating they are coming in via search engines.

Also pertinent:

Bounce
Again . . . I'm just experimenting.

Previously, this post stopped incrementing its number or 'Views' at about page 6 of the cumulative posts. Now it appears to have stopped on page 3 of these posts, with 3577 'Views' . . . . . at which the cumulative number of views stopped.

This make me wonder if Brian has a way of preventing search engine probes from going deeper into the total posts on a given thread.

Once again, for people coming into this post from an internet search engine, the pertinent posts on this thread, with the most direct information, are at: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=41629#p752231" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; , viewtopic.php?f=14&t=41629#p753255" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; , and viewtopic.php?f=14&t=41629#p753257" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

larsenb
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by larsenb »

Also pertinent:

Reset

Also pertinent:

larsenb
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by larsenb »

larsenb wrote:

Also pertinent:

Reset

Also pertinent:

I would like to see this break 4,000 views.

larsenb
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by larsenb »

Bumping and reposting:

For anyone interested, here are a bunch of links to articles and videos having to do with the Lehi group's travels from Jerusalem to the first land of Bountiful, and with the Khor Kharfot site in Oman as actually being Nephi's Bountiful. Some of them are links already posted above.

I would highly recommend the video: Journey Of Faith - Book of Mormon Documentary, narrated by the late Truman Madsen and others. It is quite long, but very informative and delves into a lot of issues and interesting speculation about the travels of Lehi's group to the land of promise.

List of Meridian articles, several Khor Kharfot-related short videos and one very excellent video on the entire Lehi sojourn to Bountiful narrated by Truman Madsen, et al.,

- Major Announcement: Omanis Grant Permission to Dig at Nephi’s Bountiful
By Scot and Maurine Proctor · February 10, 2016 : http://ldsmag.com/major-announcement-om ... bountiful/

- Nephi's Bountiful Part I - Meridian Magazine : http://ldsmag.com/day-1-biggest-team-ev ... bountiful/

- Nephi's Bountiful Part II - Meridian Magazine: http://ldsmag.com/day-2-was-there-a-hol ... bountiful/

- What is it Really Like to Dig at Nephi’s Bountiful in Oman? (Photo Essay): http://ldsmag.com/photoessay/i-dig-bountiful-in-oman/

- Journey Of Faith - Book of Mormon Documentary https://youtu.be/i_M_Faw_s3s . This one is quite long but is REALLY good and is narrated by Dr. Truman Madsen and his wife, Ann N. Madsen, Dr. S. Kent Brown, Dr. William J. Hamblin, Dr. Daniel Peterson, Dr. John W. Welch, Jo Anne H. Seely, etc.

- Chad Aston has been coming to Khor Kharfot for more than 20 years and his father, Warren, who has been going to the area for an even longer period of time. Chad recently produced a DVD called Lehi in Arabia that delves into the findings of his father, primarily. To see a trailer, get more information and/or purchase this DVD, please click here: http://www.lehiinarabia.com/p/blog-page_8.html . Proceeds will go to the Khor Kharfot Foundation to help furher research of this site. Warren Aston, BTW, is the one who discovered the existence of Nahom in present day Yemen.

Various short YouTube videos from Khor Kharfot:

Nephi's Bountiful - Tics and Leopards: https://youtu.be/oMlpk9gPhvk
Nephi's Bountiful - Going "into the mountain": https://youtu.be/c32z-Wfu_80
Nephi's Bountiful - Exploring the Caves: https://youtu.be/yEWucoMvyQ8
Nephi's Bountiful - Former Occupations at Khor Karfot: https://youtu.be/GXmpOZosqvs
Nephi's Bountiful - Speculating just for Fun: https://youtu.be/ZVO-tyBEXCk
Nephi's Bountiful - Some Initial Archaeological Assessments: https://youtu.be/zlmCQErl-IE
Nephi's Bountiful - The Mound: https://youtu.be/RxmXg4ZHrjo
Nephi's Bountiful - What They Left Behind: https://youtu.be/TRrl4EKxxhA
1 Nephi 17 Comes Alive at Nephi's Bountiful: https://youtu.be/TxuvHwVdJXk
Did Nephi build a sanctuary at Bountiful? https://youtu.be/kW3BsRNR2uY
Nephi's Bountiful - Where to Find Ore? https://youtu.be/gfN-lCiJ5Js
Nephi's Bountiful - Growing Crops: https://youtu.be/jtIHOx6Ejsc
Nephi's Bountiful - The Double Rows of Stones: https://youtu.be/SbdfsZCCSNI
Nephi's Bountiful - Looking at possible occupations at Khor Karfot: https://youtu.be/fFl6A-oKViU
Nephi's Bountiful - A Fragile Environment: https://youtu.be/bJVrs4hPYxA
Nephi's Bountiful - Looking for Patterns: https://youtu.be/8BgauNnW71s
Nephi's Bountiful - What We Hope to Learn: https://youtu.be/cJAtVnyajnw
Nephi's Bountiful - A Remote Location Prepared by the Lord: https://youtu.be/ulFjbh7_yOY
Nephi's Bountiful - Searching for the Best Candidate: https://youtu.be/QZdGss1PYRk
Nephi's Bountiful - Rock art in the overhang: https://youtu.be/v87QVamHRIw
Nephi's Bountiful - Types of rock art: https://youtu.be/irHiydAYL0k
Nephi's Bountiful in The Book of Mormon: https://youtu.be/mihAVO1R-GA
Last edited by larsenb on Mon Nov 28, 2016 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

larsenb
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by larsenb »

larsenb wrote: February 27th, 2017, 4:34 pm Bumping and reposting:

For anyone interested, here are a bunch of links to articles and videos having to do with the Lehi group's travels from Jerusalem to the first land of Bountiful, and with the Khor Kharfot site in Oman as actually being Nephi's Bountiful. Some of them are links already posted above.

I would highly recommend the video: Journey Of Faith - Book of Mormon Documentary, narrated by the late Truman Madsen and others. It is quite long, but very informative and delves into a lot of issues and interesting speculation about the travels of Lehi's group to the land of promise.

List of Meridian articles, several Khor Kharfot-related short videos and one very excellent video on the entire Lehi sojourn to Bountiful narrated by Truman Madsen, et al.,

- Major Announcement: Omanis Grant Permission to Dig at Nephi’s Bountiful
By Scot and Maurine Proctor · February 10, 2016 : http://ldsmag.com/major-announcement-om ... bountiful/

- Nephi's Bountiful Part I - Meridian Magazine : http://ldsmag.com/day-1-biggest-team-ev ... bountiful/

- Nephi's Bountiful Part II - Meridian Magazine: http://ldsmag.com/day-2-was-there-a-hol ... bountiful/

- What is it Really Like to Dig at Nephi’s Bountiful in Oman? (Photo Essay): http://ldsmag.com/photoessay/i-dig-bountiful-in-oman/

- Journey Of Faith - Book of Mormon Documentary https://youtu.be/i_M_Faw_s3s . This one is quite long but is REALLY good and is narrated by Dr. Truman Madsen and his wife, Ann N. Madsen, Dr. S. Kent Brown, Dr. William J. Hamblin, Dr. Daniel Peterson, Dr. John W. Welch, Jo Anne H. Seely, etc.

- Chad Aston has been coming to Khor Kharfot for more than 20 years and his father, Warren, who has been going to the area for an even longer period of time. Chad recently produced a DVD called Lehi in Arabia that delves into the findings of his father, primarily. To see a trailer, get more information and/or purchase this DVD, please click here: http://www.lehiinarabia.com/p/blog-page_8.html . Proceeds will go to the Khor Kharfot Foundation to help furher research of this site. Warren Aston, BTW, is the one who discovered the existence of Nahom in present day Yemen.

Various short YouTube videos from Khor Kharfot:

Nephi's Bountiful - Tics and Leopards: https://youtu.be/oMlpk9gPhvk
Nephi's Bountiful - Going "into the mountain": https://youtu.be/c32z-Wfu_80
Nephi's Bountiful - Exploring the Caves: https://youtu.be/yEWucoMvyQ8
Nephi's Bountiful - Former Occupations at Khor Karfot: https://youtu.be/GXmpOZosqvs
Nephi's Bountiful - Speculating just for Fun: https://youtu.be/ZVO-tyBEXCk
Nephi's Bountiful - Some Initial Archaeological Assessments: https://youtu.be/zlmCQErl-IE
Nephi's Bountiful - The Mound: https://youtu.be/RxmXg4ZHrjo
Nephi's Bountiful - What They Left Behind: https://youtu.be/TRrl4EKxxhA
1 Nephi 17 Comes Alive at Nephi's Bountiful: https://youtu.be/TxuvHwVdJXk
Did Nephi build a sanctuary at Bountiful? https://youtu.be/kW3BsRNR2uY
Nephi's Bountiful - Where to Find Ore? https://youtu.be/gfN-lCiJ5Js
Nephi's Bountiful - Growing Crops: https://youtu.be/jtIHOx6Ejsc
Nephi's Bountiful - The Double Rows of Stones: https://youtu.be/SbdfsZCCSNI
Nephi's Bountiful - Looking at possible occupations at Khor Karfot: https://youtu.be/fFl6A-oKViU
Nephi's Bountiful - A Fragile Environment: https://youtu.be/bJVrs4hPYxA
Nephi's Bountiful - Looking for Patterns: https://youtu.be/8BgauNnW71s
Nephi's Bountiful - What We Hope to Learn: https://youtu.be/cJAtVnyajnw
Nephi's Bountiful - A Remote Location Prepared by the Lord: https://youtu.be/ulFjbh7_yOY
Nephi's Bountiful - Searching for the Best Candidate: https://youtu.be/QZdGss1PYRk
Nephi's Bountiful - Rock art in the overhang: https://youtu.be/v87QVamHRIw
Nephi's Bountiful - Types of rock art: https://youtu.be/irHiydAYL0k
Nephi's Bountiful in The Book of Mormon: https://youtu.be/mihAVO1R-GA
Last edited by larsenb on Mon Nov 28, 2016 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Once again

Craig Johnson
captain of 1,000

Post by Craig Johnson »

What is the status of this now? I get the feeling that even if Lehi's company did not construct the complex (or Solomon-like temple) is it not possible that they instructed some local folk who may have later done the engineering or even helped Lehi. They (Lehi's company) may have been totally hidden from other folks, I suppose, but for the amount of time they were there I doubt it.

larsenb
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by larsenb »

Craig Johnson wrote: February 4th, 2018, 7:01 pm What is the status of this now? I get the feeling that even if Lehi's company did not construct the complex (or Solomon-like temple) is it not possible that they instructed some local folk who may have later done the engineering or even helped Lehi. They (Lehi's company) may have been totally hidden from other folks, I suppose, but for the amount of time they were there I doubt it.
Ric Hauck, even now, is in Oman continuing the work. Those working on the complex have a range of ideas about what the possible interaction w/any locals may have been. Currently, they are called 'Jabalees', or people of the mountains. One of the group members is trying to learn their language, and has one of their words for the ocean as being very close to Irreantum ("being interpreted, is many waters"), i.e., the implication is that they learned this word from locals . . . . maybe asking where and how far away the sea was at some point in their travels.

Speaking of Irreantum, the ancient Latin name of the South Arabian sea was Erythraum (i.e., the Latin version of the actual Arabic(?) name, which as you can see, has three syllables that match Irreantum, and are in the same position/order. For me, this is an authenticity hit for the Book of Mormon. Here is an image:
South Arabian Sea.JPG
South Arabian Sea.JPG (210.48 KiB) Viewed 1238 times
And there is speculation that locals could have helped them in other ways, maybe even helping to build the boat. The actual 'sanctuary site' has dimensions somewhat proportional to the portion of the temple outside the Holy of Holies, and other features that reinforce this idea. But it may have been built from an earlier 'structure' (i.e., double walls).

Craig Johnson
captain of 1,000

Post by Craig Johnson »

I would like to go to the site and see what is happening and see the environs.

larsenb
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by larsenb »

Craig Johnson wrote: February 5th, 2018, 7:42 am I would like to go to the site and see what is happening and see the environs.
It's quite fascinating. I personally think it is the best site for Lehi's first Bountiful. It even has abundant honey, both from small non-stinging
Asiatic bees and larger stinging bees found up in the caves of the surrounding limestone cliffs.

Craig Johnson
captain of 1,000

Post by Craig Johnson »

On one forum you are cool and on the other you are a jerk. What is up with you? If somebody does not want to address something just let it be and quit being so pushy.
Anyway, I would love to visit this site and pick the brains of the researchers. I would fall all over myself if I got to go.

larsenb
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by larsenb »

Craig Johnson wrote: February 5th, 2018, 5:24 pm On one forum you are cool and on the other you are a jerk. What is up with you? If somebody does not want to address something just let it be and quit being so pushy.
Anyway, I would love to visit this site and pick the brains of the researchers. I would fall all over myself if I got to go.
Ah Craig, might you be too sensitive?? I was just trying to get you to commit on the Lund work, one way or the other. I didn't succeed. No biggee for me . . . shouldn't be for you . . . unless you felt I stepped over a line in my goading . . . which I guess you thought I did . . .

The group working the area does accept volunteers. But they mostly have to pay their own air fare . . . . and most of these run businesses and have a fair amount of loose change. If you have a skill to bring to the table, that would help. Now and again, they may need someone for data recording clerical work, which is fairly straight forward.

If things go good, tourist arrangements may be developed down the line, including dedicated hostels/hotels.

Craig Johnson
captain of 1,000

Post by Craig Johnson »

That will have to wait as my wife and I are trying to prepare for a mission which we probably won't be able to go on for about another year or so unless a miracle beyond our power intervenes and moves things forward. Anyway we are right now trying to put that together. But my fascination with this kind of research would have me over there should nothing be in my way. Maybe one day if I don't die in the interim.

larsenb
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by larsenb »

Craig Johnson wrote: February 6th, 2018, 12:16 am That will have to wait as my wife and I are trying to prepare for a mission which we probably won't be able to go on for about another year or so unless a miracle beyond our power intervenes and moves things forward. Anyway we are right now trying to put that together. But my fascination with this kind of research would have me over there should nothing be in my way. Maybe one day if I don't die in the interim.
It would be fun to see you go. Fascinating all the way around, especially the local culture, etc.

Craig Johnson
captain of 1,000

Post by Craig Johnson »

Well, I have been over in that region before. Anyway, I bought some Aramis Oil (a copy) and man can those people in that region make some good fragrance copies!

larsenb
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by larsenb »

Bumping this once again. Curious how many reads at this point.

BeNotDeceived
Agent38

Post by BeNotDeceived »

larsenb wrote: February 4th, 2019, 11:54 pm Bumping this once again. Curious how many reads at this point.
Curious your timing considering Tender Mercies and https://twitter.com/intent/favorite?ea_ ... fsrc=email tweet about Oman received today.