Is there a "best" edition?

For discussing the Church, Gospel of Jesus Christ, Mormonism, etc.
Joshua
captain of 100

Is there a "best" edition?

Post by Joshua »

I searched the forum for my question and didn't see a thread about it anywhere. I apologize in advance if this topic has already been discussed.

So far on my journey of enlightenment I've been reading parts of the Book of Mormon online, and I've reached a point where I think that I should really have a physical copy, both from a prepper standpoint and from a student of religion standpoint. However, the Book of Mormon Wikipedia page lists fifteen currently published versions, and I wouldn't be surprised if there are other less well known versions.

Are the modern versions, like the 2013 LDS edition or the Revised Authorized Version reliable, or are they plagued with the same modernism issues of current Bible translations? Along the same line, are the various editions different enough to affect doctrinal teachings or do they all agree on at least the major points? Is there one edition that is considered to be the best or most reliable?

Also, my understanding is that Mormon teachings view the Bible as having been inspired by God, but then it became increasingly corrupted by the influences of man. However, from what I can tell, no Mormon group has ever exclusively endorsed the Inspired Version, which was supposed to correct many of the corruptions of the Bible. Is there a reason why the Inspired Version is not considered reliable enough to be the exclusive bible of the LDS?

Robert Sinclair
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: Is there a "best" edition?

Post by Robert Sinclair »

Good if you have time, and can pick up used versions if you can afford them, to go through the different editions and versions, to get understanding of the deeper things and weightier matters of the law, of mercy, and equity, and of the ordinances of justice, and of faith, hope, and charity, what goodwill and peace are all about, and of love from a pure heart.

I personally have gone through many different versions, of the Bible and of various editions of the Book of Mormon, the Doctrine and Covenants, or Book of Commandments, as it was once printed, as well as many scripture books of the many different religions of this world.

The one tie that seems to bind them together into one, is to "do good" and be "pure in heart".

Good to do good continually, and have a pure heart.♡

What ever editions lead you to seek to do good, and be pure in heart, following Jesus Christ, are good to have.

One of my favorite corrections of the Bible, by Joseph Smith, is the Book of Genesis chapter 14, which makes it perfectly clear what tithes taken into the storehouse of God, were for-

"the poor".

None who have read this translated chapter 14, can deny, that the keeper of the storehouse of God, Melchizedek, took in tithes for the poor, following after the order of Enoch, who followed after the order of the Son of God.

Most helpful in obtaining the spirit of why these tithes, were collected, from the foundation of this earth, and set up for.♡

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Post by marc »

Joshua, there really isn't a "best" edition. Newer editions have headings, footnotes, cross references, etc. whereas the early editions were void of all those and was simply a paragraph by paragraph text.

Zathura
Follow the Prophet

Post by Zathura »

Joshua wrote:I searched the forum for my question and didn't see a thread about it anywhere. I apologize in advance if this topic has already been discussed.

So far on my journey of enlightenment I've been reading parts of the Book of Mormon online, and I've reached a point where I think that I should really have a physical copy, both from a prepper standpoint and from a student of religion standpoint. However, the Book of Mormon Wikipedia page lists fifteen currently published versions, and I wouldn't be surprised if there are other less well known versions.

Are the modern versions, like the 2013 LDS edition or the Revised Authorized Version reliable, or are they plagued with the same modernism issues of current Bible translations? Along the same line, are the various editions different enough to affect doctrinal teachings or do they all agree on at least the major points? Is there one edition that is considered to be the best or most reliable?

Also, my understanding is that Mormon teachings view the Bible as having been inspired by God, but then it became increasingly corrupted by the influences of man. However, from what I can tell, no Mormon group has ever exclusively endorsed the Inspired Version, which was supposed to correct many of the corruptions of the Bible. Is there a reason why the Inspired Version is not considered reliable enough to be the exclusive bible of the LDS?
The differences in the Book of Mormon Editions are nothing like the different Bible editions.
I would suggest read the 1981 edition, or get your hands on the original edition if you want to read a book without verses haha. It really doesn't make a big difference though, for you, I'd say that the 2013 edition is fine.
Without a doubt, the most reliable would probably be the original translation, but it's a little more tough to read. But like I said, it doesn't really matter. Just read any edition that you get your hands on.

The translation or wording isn't changed anywhere in the new edition, but some footnotes are. I for one, have noticed footnote changes that I don't agree with.

When you ask about the "inspired Version", are you talking about the inspired version of the Bible? If so, that was never completed. Joseph died before he completed the "Joseph Smith Translation" of the Bible. He was only able to correct a few rather important parts which can be found in lds scriptures at the end of the book.

Zathura
Follow the Prophet

Post by Zathura »

http://eom.byu.edu/index.php/Book_of_Mo ... (1830-1981" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)

This gives a brief description of each edition.

jdawg1012
captain of 1,000

Post by jdawg1012 »

Stahura wrote:When you ask about the "inspired Version", are you talking about the inspired version of the Bible? If so, that was never completed. Joseph died before he completed the "Joseph Smith Translation" of the Bible. He was only able to correct a few rather important parts which can be found in lds scriptures at the end of the book.
This is incorrect at every level.

1) Joseph Finished the translation (at least to his satisfaction to have it published, though he continually made changes), and IIRC when he died he was going back through the entire thing a SECOND TIME.
2) The manuscript merely wasn't PUBLISHED due to lack of funds, before his death.
3) He didn't just correct "a few important parts," but changed/edited/revised a reported 3,410 (almost as many changes as have been made to the Book of Mormon!)
3) You can buy the entire thing, just The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints can't publish it, because they don't hold the printing rights.
4) Only a few selections are found in the Corporation of the First Presidency's Version of the scriptures (maybe a couple hundred, IIRC, a far cry from the full 3400+).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Sm ... _the_Bible" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The bulk of Smith’s work on the JST took place between June 1830 and July 1833. By 1833, he felt it was sufficiently complete that preparations for publication could begin, though continual lack of time and means[citation needed] prevented it from appearing in its entirety during his lifetime. He continued to make a few revisions and to prepare the manuscript for printing until he was killed in 1844.[9] Regarding the completeness of the JST as we have it, Matthews has written:

[T]he manuscript shows that Smith went all the way through the Bible from Genesis to Revelation. But it also shows that he did not make all the necessary corrections in one effort. This situation makes it impossible to give a statistical answer to questions about how much of the Translation was completed or how much was not completed. What is evident, however, is that any part of the Translation might have been further touched upon and improved by additional revelation and emendation by Smith.
In any Event, you can read it for free here:

http://scriptures.byu.edu/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (Click on the left side, then click on which version you want).

Or you can just buy it, for example, here:
http://www.amazon.com/Joseph-Smiths-New ... ranslation" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You can also find original versions of the Book of Abraham, too. The Church has altered many volumes of scriptures since Joseph died.

Zathura
Follow the Prophet

Post by Zathura »

jdawg1012 wrote:
Stahura wrote:When you ask about the "inspired Version", are you talking about the inspired version of the Bible? If so, that was never completed. Joseph died before he completed the "Joseph Smith Translation" of the Bible. He was only able to correct a few rather important parts which can be found in lds scriptures at the end of the book.

1) Joseph Finished the translation (at least to his satisfaction to have it published, though he continually made changes), and IIRC when he died he was going back through the entire thing a SECOND TIME.
2) The manuscript merely wasn't PUBLISHED due to lack of funds, before his death.
3) He didn't just correct "a few important parts," but changed/edited/revised a reported 3,410 (almost as many changes as have been made to the Book of Mormon!)
3) You can buy the entire thing, just The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints can't publish it, because they don't hold the printing rights.
4) Only a few selections are found in the Corporation of the First Presidency's Version of the scriptures (maybe a couple hundred, IIRC, a far cry from the full 3400+).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Sm ... _the_Bible" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The bulk of Smith’s work on the JST took place between June 1830 and July 1833. By 1833, he felt it was sufficiently complete that preparations for publication could begin, though continual lack of time and means[citation needed] prevented it from appearing in its entirety during his lifetime. He continued to make a few revisions and to prepare the manuscript for printing until he was killed in 1844.[9] Regarding the completeness of the JST as we have it, Matthews has written:

[T]he manuscript shows that Smith went all the way through the Bible from Genesis to Revelation. But it also shows that he did not make all the necessary corrections in one effort. This situation makes it impossible to give a statistical answer to questions about how much of the Translation was completed or how much was not completed. What is evident, however, is that any part of the Translation might have been further touched upon and improved by additional revelation and emendation by Smith.

http://scriptures.byu.edu/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (Click on the left side, then click on which version you want).

http://www.amazon.com/Joseph-Smiths-New ... ranslation" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You can also find original versions of the Book of Abraham, too. The Church has altered many volumes of scriptures since Joseph died.
Well this is news to me :-? Seems I have found yet ANOTHER thing that has been incorrectly taught to me while in my youth at church. :-w

jdawg1012
captain of 1,000

Post by jdawg1012 »

Also, there's a variety of books versions of the book of mormon, you can get the original replica set:

http://www.amazon.com/Set-Replica-Scrip ... HX626BEADZ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

IIRC this version was originally contracted with Double Day as a Book of Mormon devoid of footnotes in about (2003 or so), though I may be mistaking the cover.

http://www.amazon.com/Book-Mormon-Anoth ... +of+mormon" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I know a lot of people liked that version better.

Anyway, carry on!

jdawg1012
captain of 1,000

Post by jdawg1012 »

Stahura wrote:Well this is news to me :-? Seems I have found yet ANOTHER thing that has been incorrectly taught to me while in my youth at church. :-w
Well Stahura, if you're looking for a treasure trove of fact-checking, you've found the lodestone!

Zathura
Follow the Prophet

Post by Zathura »

haha oh boy.. lucky me. You seem like a good resource :)

So, are there any important corrections that you have found that aren't contained in the version that the lds church has in it's scripture?

Joshua
captain of 100

Post by Joshua »

Thank you all for the responses and information.
Stahura wrote: The differences in the Book of Mormon Editions are nothing like the different Bible editions.
I would suggest read the 1981 edition, or get your hands on the original edition if you want to read a book without verses haha. It really doesn't make a big difference though, for you, I'd say that the 2013 edition is fine.
haha yeah, I like having verse numbers. If all things are generally equal, then I'll probably start out with the 2013 and then get something closer to the original once I'm comfortable with my level of understanding.
jdawg1012 wrote: You can buy the entire thing, just The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints can't publish it, because they don't hold the printing rights.
Thank you for the wealth of information jdawg. Your quote above brings up a supplemental question that I had. My understanding is that the Inspired Version copy write is held by the Community of Christ/RLDS. I don't know how the RLDS is viewed by members of this forum or by the LDS in general, so I don't want to accidentally start a fight about them, but do you know if they have altered the original IV to make it conform to their specific teachings or are the printed copies true to the original?

thank you all again for the help.

jdawg1012
captain of 1,000

Post by jdawg1012 »

Stahura wrote:haha oh boy.. lucky me. You seem like a good resource :)

So, are there any important corrections that you have found that aren't contained in the version that the lds church has in it's scripture?
Although I own a few copies of the "quad" and I use the app for fast searching, I typically spend about 5+ hours reading the scriptures a day on a computer screen. (Kids are grown/gone now, and I don't read much nonfiction, and don't have TV). We still have couple/"companion" (family) scripture study, and then I study for writing my books, so I'm blessed to have the time to study.

I generally read the KJV unless something feels wrong, and then I turn to the JST version. I've been through all of the Triple/Standard Works Many times, and most of the Bible several times (some portions of the Old Testament I have passed by, others I've read many dozens or hundreds of times, maybe, the Old Testament is my favorite, and how I converted to the church).

When I read digitally on a computer, I ALWAYS read the JST (scriptures.byu.edu). On the app, I read whatever comes up. I prefer the JST, though I have an impression sometimes when I think Joseph wanted to change something again, etc. All prophets are imperfect, but I digress.

My most pertinent advice is to ignore any church footnotes, chapter headings, and follow President Hinckley's advice:
"I do not concern myself much with reading long commentary volumes designed to enlarge at length upon that which is found in the scriptures. Rather, I prefer to dwell with the source, tasting of the unadulterated waters of the fountain of truth—the word of God as he gave it and as it has been recorded in the books we accept as scripture."
Many of the chapter headings are patently false and mislead the entire chapter (Like Jacob 5, the "Servant" is Jesus Christ, the Lord of the Vineyard is "God," they twisted the scriptures to avoid the fact that the church is the tree, and has grown wild.)

So, yeah, I'd avoid commentary, including "priming" (psychologically leading) chapter headings, and use JST where possible, and if you read and keep the scriptures in your mind constantly, you've got great things ahead! Then you can see the real shame of where our theology has been altered, over time. :(

Luckily I keep hard copies, ahhahahaaha. :)

Zathura
Follow the Prophet

Post by Zathura »

I know that this is off topic and I don't know how much you have studied the book of Mormon, but I want to share with you some of the most important parts. It's rather hard to find the real gems in the midst of the many pages and chapters of the Book of Mormon.

Read 2 Nephi 31 and 32. Read the book of Enos as well(It's just one chapter) Mosiah 4 and 5. Mosiah 27. Alma 5. Alma 36, Alma 38. Helaman 5. 3 Nephi 19. and Ether 3 and 4 These chapters all have the same theme.

Although there is a different theme to the words, I would suggest that you also read Moroni 7,8[It's just a good chapter, I don't mean to attack your faith in sharing it. You will know what I mean once you read it :) ], and chapter 10

There are many wonderful parts in this book, but these are the ones that I find myself reading and re-reading most often. I have had life changing experiences while studying each of these chapters.

jdawg1012
captain of 1,000

Post by jdawg1012 »

Joshua wrote:Thank you for the wealth of information jdawg. Your quote above brings up a supplemental question that I had. My understanding is that the Inspired Version copy write is held by the Community of Christ/RLDS. I don't know how the RLDS is viewed by members of this forum or by the LDS in general, so I don't want to accidentally start a fight about them, but do you know if they have altered the original IV to make it conform to their specific teachings or are the printed copies true to the original?

thank you all again for the help.
They own the copyright, but they can't alter it, per se, because that's a different legal concept. So it's the same version.

I view the members of the Community of Christ favorably (I don't disfavor anyone searching for the truth), they at least let everyone into the temple. Though, I cannot speak to their theology, because I've only read some of what they have cannonized. So I can't speak to which doctrines you may or may not agree with, or how they line up with ours (though they are one of the 4 ideological branches broken off the tree, but I digress).

Anyway, to my knowledge, they have not altered the words, because they believe Joseph Smith to be a Prophet. You could also get a book of just the revisions, like this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Joseph-Smith-Tran ... ranslation" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

But as far as I know, the copies are exactly the same, when I worked at Deseret Book, we used to sell them, but I don't know if Deseret Book still does. They've started changing their business a lot, so I'm unsure...

Oh wait, I found that they sell at least one version still:
DESERET BOOK

https://deseretbook.com/p/complete-jose ... -paperback" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

In the late 1990s, a team of BYU scholars worked with the Community of Christ (formally RLDS) Church to gain access to the complete Joseph Smith Translation manuscripts. This book utilizes that research to provide a concise, at-a-glance reference book that teachers and students of the scriptures can use to quickly find any and every change the Prophet made to the New Testament — compared side-by-side with the corresponding verse of the King James Version. This is the most correct and handy edition of the Joseph Smith Translation available. It will enrich your study of the New Testament and enhance your understanding of the principles it teaches.
And you're most welcome, any time.

butterfly
captain of 1,000

Post by butterfly »

jdawg1012 wrote:

So in your opinion jdawg, WHY all the changes to the word of God and how are you able to faithfully attend church, accept callings, etc, without going crazy over how skewed the doctrine is becoming? I'm struggling to reconcile staying active in church while constantly having to bite my tongue when I'm there.

Zathura
Follow the Prophet

Post by Zathura »

I'm able to faithfully attend church without going crazy because once I hear incorrect doctrine or a talk by a kid whose mom wrote it for him, I can simply read my scriptures, pray, or ponder.
I still get good out of church, I just tune out unimportant and incorrect things :)

butterfly
captain of 1,000

Post by butterfly »

I've been in a ward before where that would be possible to do. But in our current ward there is a lot of poverty and a lot of broken homes and struggling families. The issue of tithing contributing to debt and sisters dealing with depression and anxiety attacks at church because they fear ever telling a leader no to an assignment happen on a regular basis. But when I try to tell people that it's a gospel of happiness and not of entrapment, I get reported to priesthood leaders. Are other wards more affluent? I think economic status makes a big difference. It's one thing to have a few low income families, but when the majority of the ward is, people don't have time to serve in callings because they're working 2-3 jobs. Then, to get financial help, you have to serve in a calling, which means you don't have any time left over to strengthen your family because you're working at church in order to get financial help, which u likely wouldn't need if 10% of your gross wasn't required just to get the financial help in the first place. This is what my ward is experiencing and it is so sad! But I don't know how to help. The response always seems to start with "the prophet says..." and then they quote something from the handbook.

Robert Sinclair
Level 34 Illuminated

butterfly wrote:I've been in a ward before where that would be possible to do. But in our current ward there is a lot of poverty and a lot of broken homes and struggling families. The issue of tithing contributing to debt and sisters dealing with depression and anxiety attacks at church because they fear ever telling a leader no to an assignment happen on a regular basis. But when I try to tell people that it's a gospel of happiness and not of entrapment, I get reported to priesthood leaders. Are other wards more affluent? I think economic status makes a big difference. It's one thing to have a few low income families, but when the majority of the ward is, people don't have time to serve in callings because they're working 2-3 jobs. Then, to get financial help, you have to serve in a calling, which means you don't have any time left over to strengthen your family because you're working at church in order to get financial help, which u likely wouldn't need if 10% of your gross wasn't required just to get the financial help in the first place. This is what my ward is experiencing and it is so sad! But I don't know how to help. The response always seems to start with "the prophet says..." and then they quote something from the handbook.
This testimony says much, to favor returning to the "United Order", bringing back the $billions put out to the exchangers, to assit the poor, to own homes outright, that whatever was spent on rent or mortgage, if needs at home were met, could then be cast into the storehouse treasury, to help others, this is the actions of saintly leaders, like Enoch and Melchizedek, keepers of the storehouse of God for the poor, following after the order of the Son of God.

May these leaders today give ear to these things, and consider the conditions of the vineyard under their watch, and be ashamed as it it written in the book of Joel to do.

May they seek to fullfill Hosea 14:8 while they are yet alive, and before they grow too old, and go the way of all the earth, leaving behind, many poor at the base and foundation of their church, which thing ought not to be, as a type of Babylon, once the church debts were paid, many years ago, but seek to see there are "no poor among them" as there is in Zion.♡

gkearney
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by gkearney »

I have quite a collection of the Book of Mormons published by various parties. Here are a few notes:

The printer's manuscript - The oldest full manuscript known to exist. The original one completed by the scribes was placed in the corner stone of the Nauvoo House and most of it was lost in the flooding that took place there over the years. The printer's manuscript is written by several people including Emma Smith and the printer himself. It is on public display at the Independence Temple of the Community of Christ/RLDS. There is a project underway to produce a full sized reproduction of this version.

First Edition - Like all the versions until the late 1870's the first edition reads like a novel with no verse notations. It is for this reason that we seldom see quotations from the Book of Mormon in early sermons of Joseph Smith, Brigham Young or other early members. There can be variations in the text of even the first edition as slight changes were made in the text as the printing proceeded. Today first edition copies are considered to be some of the most valuable books in existence.

Nauvoo edition - This was the last edition printed in Joseph Smith's lifetime. It is notable for containing the first edits changing "white and delightsom" to "pure and delightsom". Copies today are more valuable than even first edition copies.

In the late 1870's both the LDS and RLDS Churches undertook to versify the Book of Mormon. The two systems are different leading to much confusion. Orson Hyde did the LDS versification which is marked by him breaking up the original long chapters of the earlier editions with new chapters, the ones we know to this day. The RLDS versification retains the earlier edition's chapter.

1908 RLDS edition - Considered one of the finest editions ever produced. The editors had access to both the printer's manuscript and the Nauvoo edition. It is this edition which is still in widespread use in the Community of Christ/RLDS Church as well as in most of the restoration branches. In many academic circle it is this edition which is used for citations.

1920 LDS Edition - This started the trend of adding supplemental notes and other materials as well as cross references to the LDS editions. We see this continuing in the 1980 LDS edition as well.

1966 RLDS revised edition - Never officially adopted by the RLDS Church and seldom used today this was an attempt to update the language of the Book of Mormon to more modern usage.

There have been, and I own quite a collection of these, various other editions produced by other groups:

1957 The Record of the Nephites - Published by the Church of Christ with the Elijah Message, it follows the RLDS versifications.

1973 RLDS paperback edition - Notable as a mass market edition sold in bookstore and newsstands. It has in introduction written by Marcus Bach millions of these were printed and they are still easy to find.

1990 Independence Edition - Published by the Church of Christ (temple Lot) follows the RLDS versification.

1995 Matthews Anderson edition - Titled the Easy to Read Book of Mormon it was edited by Lynn Matthews Anderson into modern English. Perhaps the best of the various efforts to produce a modern English version. Somewhat rare but can still be found in the used book market.

1997 Manti Edition - A version produced by the True and Living Church of Jesus Christ, Saints of the Last Days (Hamstrom) Follows the LDS versification. Very rare as only a few thousand were ever produced.

And finally perhaps one of the most unusual items in my collection:

2011 Embaye Melekin edition - Published under the title The African Bible: The record of the Abyssinian prophets, this edition, which has extensive notes postulates the Book of Mormon narrative as taking place in southern Africa more specifically at Great Zimbabwe a truly unique view of the Book of Mormon.

If you want to experience the Book of Mormon as early members did then a copy of the first edition would be best. These are still produced by the Community of Christ/RLDS publishing company Herald House. It is these reproductions that you will see in various church movies when they show early copies of the Book of Mormon. Otherwise the current versions of either the LDS (1981) or Community of Christ/RLDS (1908) versions are nearly identical in the text with the LDS versions having more supplemental materials. For a very complete review of the various edits and changes made I would suggest The Book of Mormon: The Earliest Text by Royal Skousen (Editor), Joseph Smith (Translator) ISBN 978-0300142181

On a final note the Community of Christ/RLDS do use the Book of Mormon as well as what we know as the Inspired Version (Joseph Smith Translation) of the Bible. The copyright has long expired on the JST by the way. I have the official triple combination of their (RLDS) edition in my collection.

Should anyone like to see photographs of any of these let me know and I will post them here.

Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robin Hood »

I can definitely recommend the Restored Covenant Edition of the Book of Mormon. It is excellent.
It follows the RLDS chapter and versification system, so comparison is a little awkward. But it is by far the most readable version. Skousen speaks very highly of it.

jdawg1012
captain of 1,000

Post by jdawg1012 »

butterfly wrote:So in your opinion jdawg, WHY all the changes to the word of God and how are you able to faithfully attend church, accept callings, etc, without going crazy over how skewed the doctrine is becoming? I'm struggling to reconcile staying active in church while constantly having to bite my tongue when I'm there.
WHY all the changes to the word of God

They change the scriptures, because they can't understand what's in them. Plus, we haven't had an actual revelation, from a commonly consented position, consistent with the scriptures, and voted upon in well over an hundred years.
and how are you able to faithfully attend church,
The Sabbath was made for the man, not man for the Sabbath, so act according as the Spirit directs, and you feel comfortable choosing. Love your neighbor. Officiate in the priesthood and be clean. Endowed members are made clean by their faithfulness anyway, not by rituals. The law of charity overrides every ritual ordinance, anyway.
accept callings
The only callings I ever seem to get are to teach (SS once, Subbing for youth Teachers a few times, EQ teacher 4 times, Family History Once), and at this point I refuse to teach from any manual, lol. I tell them I don't want to be called as a teacher, and they usually call me anyway.
...without going crazy over how skewed the doctrine is becoming?
For a long time I would correct doctrines they taught in error, but since most people don't care, I usually sit and read, sometimes I sit outside so I can listen and read without bothering people's paradigms, and speak to individuals when they want to talk.

Some times there are people who sit with me.
I'm struggling to reconcile staying active in church while constantly having to bite my tongue when I'm there.
I did too. I got tired of being the lone voice in the cacophony of tinkling brass. I think my case is odd in that I never speak matter-of-factly about things I don't understand (my personality type loves correction), and I always go straight to the scriptures to back up anything I say. That way, they can wrestle with God Himself, and I've washed my garments. After a while, I quit arguing with people about really stupid disagreements like same-sex marriage. Jesus said we're neither married nor given in marriage after this life, and now that I know what He was talking about I find it super funny more than anything.

The more you know got, the more happy the "good news" is. I love God, and I rejoice in His words. Commandments are for slothful servants. He really wants to be our friend and speak face to face. We'll see that through the looking glass (Alma 5, cross reference Neal A Maxwell's, "Consecrate Thy Performance"), and of that, I testify in the Sacred Name of Jesus Christ, amen.

P.S. Even though they keep changing scriptures, they ignore the really important ones, because they have no idea which one(s) is/are super important. But no matter, it's all being revealed and they can't do a thing about it:
“The Standard of Truth has been erected; no unhallowed hand can stop the work from progressing; persecutions may rage, mobs may combine, armies may assemble, calumny may defame, but the truth of God will go forth boldly, nobly, and independent, till it has penetrated every continent, visited every clime, swept every country, and sounded in every ear, till the purposes of God shall be accomplished, and the Great Jehovah shall say the work is done.”
The last dispensation was comprised of TWO blocks of events, and so the church absolutely still has the authority to officiate in Priesthood ordinances, they merely have no power. I had a black lab once when I was a small child, with which I would play fetch with in the pool. I learned that dogs are tenacious companions, but not particularly bright (they're engineered to hunt in groups, a single dog is mostly helpless), and if I tossed a ball that would float, she could easily retrieve it, but that if I tossed a non-floating ball into the water, she would swim in circles endlessly, refusing to get out until I "found" the ball for her. She would even submerge, trying to get it. The look I see in her eyes I recognize now. Because she refused to give up, even until she got so tired I'd have to swim out and rescue herself. But she was trying to obtain the impossible, for her. She needed help.

All of us need help. But some people are more tenacious than teachable. Jesus said that we already have the kingdom of God within us, It's already come, He said. Let him who has an ear, let him hear, also, in the name of Christ, Jesus, amen.

gkearney
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by gkearney »

Robin Hood wrote:I can definitely recommend the Restored Covenant Edition of the Book of Mormon. It is excellent.
It follows the RLDS chapter and versification system, so comparison is a little awkward. But it is by far the most readable version. Skousen speaks very highly of it.
That is a very good edition with strong typography and cross referencing as well. I too would recommend it. Let me add here that the advantage of the Community of Christ/RLDS versification is that it retains both the original chapter divisions as well as the original paragraphs from the first edition which is why some prefer it.

Joshua
captain of 100

Post by Joshua »

Thank you all for the input. Sorry for the late reply, I was away from the computer for a couple days. Based on the advice I've decided to order the Restored Covenant Edition to start with, and then I'll branch out from there. So now I'm praying for God to enlighten me through his word.

I don't know if this is the right place, or if a new thread should be started, but I'm curious to know what some of the issues in the Church are that some of you mentioned. I don't know many Mormons, but those that I do know have never mentioned any sort of issues taking place.

(Sorry if this is an offensive question. As a Catholic I am no stranger to Church controversy)

Robert Sinclair
Level 34 Illuminated

Being a Catholic, look at what Peter did with the Twelve, and the first members in the Book of Acts, they distributed all the wealth of the church, among the members, where they had " All things common", this allowed Peter and the Twelve to be endowed with power from on high from cloven tongues of fire, where Peter leaving was able to heal the crippled from birth, and even raise the dead which before he could not do.

Then when reading the Book of Mormon see how in 3rd Nephi chapter 26:19 they also had "All things common", and read again in 4th Nephi verse 3 how they had "All things common" among them.

And here is the interesting thing, how did these people begin to fall away? Read in 4th Nephi verse 24-26, how after the 201st year had passed away, some began to be lifted up, and they from that time forth, began to have things no more common among them, and began to be divided into classes.

Now again this command to be equal in your temporal things, was given in D&C 70 where no one who belonged to the church of the living God, was exempt from, see verses 10-16, for food and raiment, houses and lands.

So herein lies the issue, exactly who has fallen away from "All things in common", and why?

And who leads the people to be equal in their temporal things, and who does not, but leads the people to divisions of classes, like in Babylon, where there are many, many poor at the base, but the elite, and lofty at the top.

Herein lies the issue, if the foundation of Zion, and the church of the living God, has "All things common" "No poor among them" who is leading the way, to establish this?

The Christian churches, The Jewish synagouges, any among them?

Who among them all was honored and called and elected to show the way?

Who has taken this calling and election and ordination to so do, and lead the way, and pushed the people together to the ends of this earth, to get this done?

Watch and see, who, I hope it will be the leaders of this House "if" and "perhaps", it becomes the true desire of their hearts to so do, then to Judah to present the "One Stick" given unto Ephraim, to show, how we both, can be confounded no more on how to treat the poor.♡

Robert Sinclair
Level 34 Illuminated

Robert Sinclair wrote:Being a Catholic, look at what Peter did with the Twelve, and the first members in the Book of Acts, they distributed all the wealth of the church, among the members, where they had " All things common", this allowed Peter and the Twelve to be endowed with power from on high from cloven tongues of fire, where Peter leaving was able to heal the crippled from birth, and even raise the dead which before he could not do.

Then when reading the Book of Mormon see how in 3rd Nephi chapter 26:19 they also had "All things common", and read again in 4th Nephi verse 3 how they had "All things common" among them.

And here is the interesting thing, how did these people begin to fall away? Read in 4th Nephi verse 24-26, how after the 201st year had passed away, some began to be lifted up, and they from that time forth, began to have things no more common among them, and began to be divided into classes.

Now again this command to be equal in your temporal things, was given in D&C 70 where no one who belonged to the church of the living God, was exempt from, see verses 10-16, for food and raiment, houses and lands.

So herein lies the issue, exactly who has fallen away from "All things in common", and why?

And who leads the people to be equal in their temporal things, and who does not, but leads the people to divisions of classes, like in Babylon, where there are many, many poor at the base, but the elite, and lofty at the top.

Herein lies the issue, if the foundation of Zion, and the church of the living God, has "All things common" "No poor among them" who is leading the way, to establish this?

The Christian churches, The Jewish synagouges, any among them?

Who among them all was honored and called and elected to show the way?

Who has taken this calling and election and ordination to so do, and lead the way, and pushed the people together to the ends of this earth, to get this done?

Watch and see, who, I hope it will be the leaders of this House "if" and "perhaps", it becomes the true desire of their hearts to so do, then to Judah to present the "One Stick" given unto Ephraim, to show, how we both, can be confounded no more on how to treat the poor.♡
Another issue is this priesthood power, Oliver Cowdery who was one of the original members of the church along with Joseph Smith, says that he and Joseph Smith were set apart and ordained by Peter, James and John, for to be Apostles, to restore the church upon this earth, that this ordination would not be full and complete, until Jesus Christ himself, came and laid his hand upon them and spoke with them face to face, and both never recorded that this ever did happen, or gave testimony of such happening.

So the priesthood powers seem to be inseparable from this "All things common" as well, still pending to be accomplished and put in place, and established by the Twelve, for the full and complete restoration of the true church of the living God upon this earth.

The keys of pure knowledge, of how to do this, have been given, and shall never be taken from this earth again, but yet to be used, distributing the wealth of the church as Peter did with his Twelve, having "All things common", and then to be endowed with power from on high.

It would be good for this faith to be manifested, that there is more than enough and to spare to do this, to give all the members of need, houses and meat in their houses, that inasmuch as they have done this, they will have given to God a house and meat in his house, and he will reward them openly then, meeting with them and touching them one by one, and endowing them all with power from on high, that the restoration might finally be complete upon this earth, having done as Peter did, and Melchizedek, and Enoch, keepers of the storehouse of God, making distribution unto the poor, following after the order of the Son of God, who commanded that they be equal in their temporal things, and as one, of their own freewill.♡