D&C 77 Black Hole

For discussing the Church, Gospel of Jesus Christ, Mormonism, etc.
marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

D&C 77 Black Hole

Post by marc »

So I was checking out some references at https://www.lds.org/scriptures?lang=eng" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, more particularly in relation to the post I made in the BYU professor topic on this forum. As I began searching for key words, I noticed that D&C 77 seems to have been omitted from the search results entirely. It's almost as if someone does not want people landing on that section for some odd reason. So I tried searching a lot of the key words that are found in D&C 77 that are also found in other passages in the standard works and also passages that are only found in D&C 77. None of the search results produces links to D&C 77. Is it just me or has anyone else experienced this? If you're bored and have some time to kill, try it out. Here are some key words to try typing in the search bar in the order as they appear in Section 77:

sea of glass
four beasts
light and knowledge
four and twenty elders
seven seals
seven thousand years
temporal existence
regions of darkness
one hundred and forty-four thousand
church of the Firstborn

I can only conclude it is some bizarre fluke or maybe it's too controversial a section in light of the header, which plainly declares by revelation as given to Joseph Smith that "This earth has a temporal existence of 7,000 years."

Hmmm... :-B

h_p
captain of 1,000

Re: D&C 77 Black Hole

Post by h_p »

It's good to remember Hanlon's razor with things like this, especially when it comes to all things computer. I don't know how their search indices are built, but at least the TG and footnote links connect back to D&C 77 references from other scriptures.

Rachael
Captain of whatever

Post by Rachael »

I've read that section many times wanting clarification on Revelations, since that part of the NT is disturbing. It was before computer/LDS.org days, and I found it by topical guide or footnotes or some such. I have never done a search electronically. Hmmm

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Post by marc »

I always have my scriptures on me or near me, but I rely on electronic search 99% of the time nowadays for quickness of cross referencing as I spend most of my free time reading, studying and cross referencing gospel topics. My lds scriptures app has a mediocre search function, lds.org is pretty good, but I've found Google to be the best.

Contemplator
captain of 100

Post by Contemplator »

Marc,

i have noticed that because Log, who used to post here, pointed it out some months ago. But, section 77 results are returned on the old site (classic.scriptures.lds.org) and on the mobile app, as well. I wonder if it is just a coding error on the current lds.org scriptures web site?

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Post by marc »

Who knows. It was just a curiosity to me.

JohnnyL
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by JohnnyL »

It's part of the SS lesson.

I wouldn't doubt if it's a computer error. About every website the church has, has errors. I've reported many before; sometimes they get fixed, sometimes not.

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

marc wrote:So I was checking out some references at https://www.lds.org/scriptures?lang=eng" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, more particularly in relation to the post I made in the BYU professor topic on this forum. As I began searching for key words, I noticed that D&C 77 seems to have been omitted from the search results entirely. It's almost as if someone does not want people landing on that section for some odd reason. So I tried searching a lot of the key words that are found in D&C 77 that are also found in other passages in the standard works and also passages that are only found in D&C 77. None of the search results produces links to D&C 77. Is it just me or has anyone else experienced this? If you're bored and have some time to kill, try it out. Here are some key words to try typing in the search bar in the order as they appear in Section 77:

sea of glass
four beasts
light and knowledge
four and twenty elders
seven seals
seven thousand years
temporal existence
regions of darkness
one hundred and forty-four thousand
church of the Firstborn

I can only conclude it is some bizarre fluke or maybe it's too controversial a section in light of the header, which plainly declares by revelation as given to Joseph Smith that "This earth has a temporal existence of 7,000 years."

Hmmm... :-B
Earth, Destiny of
See also Earth, Purpose of ; Earth, Renewal of

his seed shall inherit the earth: Ps. 25:13 .
those that wait upon the Lord … inherit the earth: Ps. 37:9 .
meek shall inherit the earth: Ps. 37:11 . ( Matt. 5:5 ; 3 Ne. 12:5 ; D&C 88:17 . )
earth which he hath established for ever: Ps. 78:69 .
earth abideth for ever: Eccl. 1:4 .
new heavens and a new earth: Isa. 65:17 . ( Rev. 21:1 ; Ether 13:9 . )
earth shall yield her increase: Ezek. 34:27 .
earth shall be filled with the knowledge of the glory: Hab. 2:14 .
earth shall be devoured with the fire of my jealousy: Zeph. 3:8 .
turn the heart … lest I come and smite the earth: Mal. 4:6 . ( 3 Ne. 25:6 . )
the earth … works that are therein shall be burned up: 2 Pet. 3:10 .
before the throne there was a sea of glass like unto crystal: Rev. 4:6 .
I saw as it were a sea of glass mingled with fire: Rev. 15:2 .
street of the city was pure gold … transparent glass: Rev. 21:21 .
need no candle … for the Lord God giveth them light: Rev. 22:5 .
earth should be wrapt together as a scroll … pass away: 3 Ne. 26:3 .
elements shall melt with fervent heat: Morm. 9:2 .
earth shall be consumed and pass away: D&C 29:23 .
earth shall be given unto them for an inheritance: D&C 45:58 . ( D&C 63:20 . )
fatness of the earth shall be theirs: D&C 56:18 .
earth shall be transfigured: D&C 63:21 .
earth, in its sanctified, immortal, and eternal state: D&C 77:1 .
earth during the seven thousand years: D&C 77:6 .
earth … is clothed with the glory of her God: D&C 84:101 .
sanctified … that it may be prepared for the celestial glory: D&C 88:18 .
it shall be crowned with glory, even with the presence of God: D&C 88:19 .
earth abideth the law of a celestial kingdom: D&C 88:25 .
it shall be sanctified … quickened again, and shall abide: D&C 88:26 .
all things shall become new … upon all the earth: D&C 101:25 .
until … the earth is given unto the saints: D&C 103:7 .
world … reserved unto the finishing and the end: D&C 121:32 .
earth will be smitten … unless there is a welding link: D&C 128:18 .
in the presence of God, on a globe like a sea of glass and fire: D&C 130:7 .
earth … made like unto crystal … Urim and Thummim: D&C 130:9 .
earth shall be like as it was … before it was divided: D&C 133:24 .
a thousand years the earth shall rest: Moses 7:64

I don't know if this set of scriptures are what solves the idea of involving seven thousand years. I'm only speculating on this one.

We also know that Christ comes in the meridian of time, meaning "middle". Therefore it stands to reason that there are 4000 years since Christ's sojourn on earth.
Why there is a "little season" after Christ's reign is a mystery to me, because while he is here, the earth will be changed to look like the Garden of Eden. Then, a thousand years later, comes Satan on the scene again and the great battle of Gog and Magog takes place. I am surprised to think that this would occur during the earth's Terrestrial state. Because at the end the earth will then be ended and a new earth and a new heaven will be created and the earth will become Celestial. Either way the earth has an eight thousand year existence, including the thousand year reign of Jesus.

I had no problem accessing D&C 77, unless I don't understand the issue presented. Sorry. They say anything is possible. :D

I typed in "seven seals" and a link under related topics has a link for TG and D&C 77:7 is listed there.
I typed in "church of the Firstborn" and a link for TG "Firstborn" comes up under related topics and D&C 77:11 is listed.

deep water
captain of 1,000

Post by deep water »

I just tried two of those you mentioned, and found no reference in D&C 77. Then i tried a generic one and found no Sec 77 either.
Maybe only full tithe payers to the church can axcess Sec 77.

Chip
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Chip »

If Christ came in the meridian of time, 2000 years ago, and there is an 8000 year program, we have another 1000 years before the Millennium, right? Dang!

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

deep water wrote:I just tried two of those you mentioned, and found no reference in D&C 77. Then i tried a generic one and found no Sec 77 either.
Or is it merely cockpit trouble? :D

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

Chip wrote:If Christ came in the meridian of time, 2000 years ago, and there is an 8000 year program, we have another 1000 years before the Millennium, right? Dang!
Sounds good, but, no, the Millennium is due some time in the near future and then a "little season" afterward.

D&C 29:22
22 And again, verily, verily, I say unto you that when the thousand years are ended, and men again begin to deny their God, then will I spare the earth but for a little season;

D&C 43:31 (30–31)

30 For the great Millennium, of which I have spoken by the mouth of my servants, shall come.
31 For Satan shall be bound, and when he is loosed again he shall only reign for a little season, and then cometh the end of the earth.

In fact, Michael/Adam will gather his armies and fight Satan and his armies in the last battle. For Adam is Michael, the Archangel.

D&C 88:111 (110–114)
110 And so on, until the seventh angel shall sound his trump; and he shall stand forth upon the land and upon the sea, and swear in the name of him who sitteth upon the throne, that there shall be time no longer; and Satan shall be bound, that old serpent, who is called the devil, and shall not be loosed for the space of a thousand years.
111 And then he shall be loosed for a little season, that he may gather together his armies.
112 And Michael, the seventh angel, even the archangel, shall gather together his armies, even the hosts of heaven.
113 And the devil shall gather together his armies; even the hosts of hell, and shall come up to battle against Michael and his armies.
114 And then cometh the battle of the great God; and the devil and his armies shall be cast away into their own place, that they shall not have power over the saints any more at all.

As an FYI, here is more proof that Adam is not God the Father as some on this forum have adamantly claimed.

Luke 3:38
38 Which was the son of Enos, which was the son of Seth, which was the son of Adam, which was the son of God.

Moses 6:22
22 And this is the genealogy of the sons of Adam, who was the son of God, with whom God, himself, conversed.

Dash jones
captain of 100

Post by Dash jones »

Chip wrote:If Christ came in the meridian of time, 2000 years ago, and there is an 8000 year program, we have another 1000 years before the Millennium, right? Dang!
Perhaps...though it could also be that 4000 years of BC than the Lord comes...then 2000 years (year 6000) and he comes for the millennium, reigns for 1000 years (7000 years) leaves, the earth becomes wicked over the next 1000 years and then is utterly and completely destroyed, burned and rolled up like a scroll (8000 years).

Jalden
captain of 50

Post by Jalden »

I noticed this as well, several months ago, and spent quite some time on the phone being transfered from one department to the next, untill finaly I was just told to leave a comment on the lds.org and sent the following
Good day,

I enjoy the online versions of the scriptures at lds.org very much, but I would like to alert you to an error I found in the online scripture search.

Section 77 of the online version of the D&C does not come up in any word searches, not even direct quotes. It is apparent that this section was not included in the search database.

Please note, that section 77 is available for reading on line, it simply is passed over entirely when doing searches (it seems that there is more than one file location or something).

I have not found any other sections/chapters that are similarly affected, but I have also not done any sort of exhaustive search.

Beyond adding section 77 to the database, it would also be good for you to check for other gaps in the search database, as this may not have been the only one missed.

I would be very pleased to hear a response to the progress on this issue if at all possible. Thank you.

Shalom,
(Me :) )
The message I got from lds.org said I should hear back about my submitted feedback within 2-3 days, but I sent this message October 6th, 2015 and have not heard back anything, and of course the problem is still unresolved. I think I will send a follow up message today.

Peace.

kennyhs
captain of 1,000

Post by kennyhs »

freedomforall wrote:
deep water wrote:I just tried two of those you mentioned, and found no reference in D&C 77. Then i tried a generic one and found no Sec 77 either.
A loose nut behind the wheel?

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

kennyhs wrote:
freedomforall wrote:
A loose nut behind the wheel?
=))

Zathura
Follow the Prophet

Post by Zathura »

jdawg1012 wrote: Because the unelected usurpers in Salt Lake City have neither been called by common consent, nor are they warning you about the literal beasts which are coming to devour you (see below), right now, this very second. Joseph Himself said it, in general conference, IN THE TEMPLE, and it's been hidden by men in fine suits of apparel. They are leading you with a flaxen cord. This very second. They build bunkers and store up treasure, off the backs of your own labor. READ:
Teachings of The Prophet Joseph Smith, page 290:

[u]Now, I make this declaration, that those things which John saw in heaven had no allusion to anything that had been on the earth previous to that time, because they were the representation of “things which must shortly come to pass,” and not of what has already transpired. John saw beasts that had to do with things on the earth, but not in past ages. The beasts which John saw had to devour the inhabitants of the earth in days to come. “And I saw when the Lamb opened one of the seals; and I heard, as it were the noise of thunder, one of the four beasts saying, Come and see. And I saw, and beheld a white horse: and he that sat on him had a bow; and a crown was given unto him: and he went forth conquering, and to conquer. And when he had opened the second seal, I heard the second beast say, Come and see. And there went out another horse that was red: and power was given to him that sat thereon to take peace from the earth, and that they should kill one another; and there was given unto him a great sword.” (Rev. 6:1, 2, 3, 4.) The book of Revelation is one of the plainest books God ever caused to be written.
[/u]
Now for the final proof:
Oh, ye elders of Israel, hearken to my voice; and when you are sent into the world to preach, tell those things you are sent to tell; preach and cry aloud, “Repent ye, for the kingdom of heaven is at hand; repent and believe the Gospel.” Declare the first principles, and let mysteries alone,
lest ye be overthrown. Never meddle with the visions of beasts and subjects you do not understand. Elder Brown, when you go to Palmyra, say nothing about the four beasts, but preach those things the Lord has told you to preach about—repentance and baptism for the remission of sins.
Joseph Smith said they are literal "beasts," ANIMALS, ones that are strange and unknown to humankind. He said it is not an allusion, or figure of speech. He said it/they coming to eat the inhabitants of the Earth, and no one is warning you because they don't have the authority.

Marc, you inadvertently stumbled upon the secret combination that is rampant in the church and has the sole management of the government, in the STATE OF UTAH, thank you because I've known this for some time, but wasn't finally allowed to reveal (meaning point everyone to the words already written and being hidden by the corporate "church leaders") until today.

You are literally being staved to death while they Jetset around the world. Don't take my word for it, listen to Joseph Smith. And the Spirit, and then figure out why he was upset that the High Council dragged someone for excommunication for teaching false doctrine. They are NOT supposed to do that. But they're living "high off the hog" while they can, because the (according to Joseph Smith, John the Revelator, Moses and Abraham, etc.) LITERAL SERPENT (not the temple video "man" shaped Lucifer), is coming to eat you. That "old serpent" isn't a metaphor. Lehi says he's an "awful monster," BECAUSE HE IS ONE. IT'S NOT A METAPHOR.

Now I make an end of speaking, at least for now. Be good to each other, and leave the anti-christ who told you the deceiving spirit in 1 Nephi 8 was the Holy Ghost behind, he's a liar and a glutton. I apologize I erred a few years ago in defending him. Get away from him, flee out of Babylon. I wish you well and hope to one day soon, see you all around.

This is a very interesting post.

Secret combination that controls Utah's government? What secret combination is that?

I don't understand what the Red text has to do with the Blue text.

And you're saying that some horrible monster is going to eat the leaders of the church and others?

Also, your last paragraph. "the decieving spirit in 1 Nephi 8"

You're saying that it's a false teaching that the Spirit speaking with Lehi is the Holy Ghost, but that it's actually a deceiving Spirit?

Jalden
captain of 50

Post by Jalden »

Update:
Jalden wrote: The message I got from lds.org said I should hear back about my submitted feedback within 2-3 days, but I sent this message October 6th, 2015 and have not heard back anything, and of course the problem is still unresolved. I think I will send a follow up message today.
So, I tried again to make some phone calls, and got put on hold and transferred several times. Finally I was told that I cannot speak on the phone with anyone who works directly with lds.org. They do not handle anything over the phone and that I would just have to leave a feedback comment on the website. I told him that I had already done that several months ago, but had no reply. He said that I should try again. So, I did. Here is the new message I sent:
Several months ago I discovered a bug in the online scriptures, and I sent a message using this feedback method (this was the beginning of last October). I have heard nothing in response, and the simple problem has not been fixed, so, I am resending my feedback. Here is a copy and pasted version of the feedback I sent last October:
"Good day,
I enjoy the online versions of the scriptures at lds.org very much, but I would like to alert you to an error I found in the online scripture search.
Section 77 of the online version of the D&C does not come up in any word searches, not even direct quotes. It is apparent that this section was not included in the search database.
Please note, that section 77 is available for reading on line, it simply is passed over entirely when doing searches (it seems that there is more than one file location or something).
I have not found any other sections/chapters that are similarly affected, but I have also not done any sort of exhaustive search.
Beyond adding section 77 to the database, it would also be good for you to check for other gaps in the search database, as this may not have been the only one missed.
I would be very pleased to hear a response to the progress on this issue if at all possible. Thank you.
Shalom,
(me :) )"
It would be so great if this problem could be fixed. Thanks again.
I sent this message yesterday (January 7th, 2016), and again I was told that they would be getting back with me within 2-3 days. Later on that same day I did receive a reply that went like this:
A representative from LDS Response Team has responded to your Other Comment through the Allegiance Engagement System. In order to view the response, please click on the link below (or copy and paste the link into your browser):
https://www.allegiancetech.com/v7/Custo ... x?id=...AB" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If the link is broken you will be asked for the following three pieces of information in order to access your response:
company id: LDS Response Team
response id: 67...36
passcode: 9B...AB

AOL users should use the link below:
https://www.allegiancetech.com/v7/Custo ... x?id=...AB" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thank you,
Allegiance

Note: This e-mail came from Allegiance, a third-party provider of this feedback system. To report problems with this system, please reply to this e-mail and describe the problem you experienced. Please do not reply to this e-mail to give feedback to LDS Response Team.
For my own privacy, I have deleted parts of the links, id, and passcode, but clicking on it took me to the following response o the Allegiance web site:
A Response from LDS Response Team
Your Other Comment submitted to LDS Response Team on 1/7/2016 regarding the following area has received a response:

LDS.org (2015 Feedback Update)

LDS Response Team responded on January 7, 2016 at 11:17 PM as follows:
Brother (me :) ):
I apologize for the long delay in getting back to you regarding this issue. We have been overwhelmed with feedback for months now. Thank you for your observation and suggestion. Your suggestion is being forwarded to the appropriate department for review. Unfortunately, I cannot say when suggestion will be implemented. Thank you for your patience and your interest in LDS.org.

Sincerely, Response Team Volunteer, cs
So, that's it so far. I'll keep you all posted with any future developments.

Peace.

Rose Garden
Don't ask . . .

Post by Rose Garden »

The Allegiance Engagement System?! :)) Am I the only one who find that name humorous?

Honestly, the reply sounds like they are just trying to get you to go away. I'm interested to see if they really do anything.

Jalden
captain of 50

Post by Jalden »

I got another response late last night. It went as follows:
A representative from LDS Response Team has responded to your Other Comment through the Allegiance Engagement System. In order to view the response, please click on the link below (or copy and paste the link into your browser):
https://www.allegiancetech.com/v7/Custo ... x?id=...CF" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If the link is broken you will be asked for the following three pieces of information in order to access your response:
company id: LDS Response Team
response id: 6...4
passcode: 72...CF

AOL users should use the link below:
https://www.allegiancetech.com/v7/Custo ... x?id=...CF" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thank you,
Allegiance

Note: This e-mail came from Allegiance, a third-party provider of this feedback system. To report problems with this system, please reply to this e-mail and describe the problem you experienced. Please do not reply to this e-mail to give feedback to LDS Response Team.
Clicking on it brought me to the following message:
A Response from LDS Response Team
Your Other Comment submitted to LDS Response Team on 1/7/2016 regarding the following area has received a response:

LDS.org (2015 Feedback Update)

LDS Response Team responded on January 9, 2016 at 12:40 AM as follows:
(me :) ),

Thank you for contacting LDS.org with our website. I will report this error to those who work on LDS.org.
Sorry that you didn't receive a response last time. Your emails are very important to us. By working together
we can make LDS.org a pleasant and productive experience for all who visit.

Please be assured that your feedback is sincerely appreciated and that it greatly helps us improve.

Have a great weekend!
Response Team Volunteer, LH
More as it comes,
Peace.

Jalden
captain of 50

Post by Jalden »

The messages I have received from Allegiance had a space for me to reply to thier message. I thought I would give it a go, and in response to thier last message I replied the folowing:
Thank you for your quick response. I have several friends who are also curious about this glitch in the search feature, we are all very eager to see how it is resolved. Thank you again, and I am looking forward to future updates.
me :)
I'll continue to provide updates as they occur.
Peace.

Jalden
captain of 50

Post by Jalden »

freedomforall wrote:
I had no problem accessing D&C 77, unless I don't understand the issue presented. Sorry. They say anything is possible. :D
Yes, you do not understand the problem. It is not access that is the problem, it is the fact that section 77 does not show up directly in any searches. I don't believe this is due to any conspiracy. That would be a silly conspiracy - especially since it is obviously available in print and on line - just not in the online search. It is simply a glitch in the system.
freedomforall wrote:I typed in "seven seals" and a link under related topics has a link for TG and D&C 77:7 is listed there.
I typed in "church of the Firstborn" and a link for TG "Firstborn" comes up under related topics and D&C 77:11 is listed.
When you typed these into the search they should have pulled up a list of scriptural references - and it did - but did you notice that D&C 77 was not among the suggested scriptural references? It listed three references found in the Book of Revelation, but none in the D&C. This is the problem.

Try the following examples:
Type in the search "equal in the bonds of heavenly things". One result will be found (D&C 78:5)
Type in the search "in the Spirit on the sixteenth day". One result will be found (D&C 76:11)
Type in the search "Are the four beasts limited". No results found. But it should have returned a result for D&C 77:3. You may type in the search any set of words from section 77 and it will return any number of scripture references, but none of them will ever be from section 77 (unless they can fix the glitch).

Hope that helps everyone to understand the problem.

Peace.

Jesef
captain of 1,000

Post by Jesef »

Intel processors probably have a problem with the number 77 or the & symbol or something...

Jalden
captain of 50

Post by Jalden »

I got another response today (Sunday, January 10th). Same story as before - an email came thru with a link to the response on the Allegiance web site.
The message was as follows:
me :) ,

I just heard back from the programmers. This is what I received.
"We are currently working on updating the scripture search on LDS.org. It is still months away from being complete.
I'll report this to the engineers."

I hope this helps.

Sincerely,
Response Team Volunteer, LH
So, we are potentially "months away", whatever that may mean.

Peace.

lemuel
Operating Thetan

Post by lemuel »