LDS Thoughts and DOCTRINE.

For discussing the Church, Gospel of Jesus Christ, Mormonism, etc.
dewajack
captain of 100

Re: LDS Doctrine.

Post by dewajack »

Elizabeth wrote:It is my belief He drank the fruit of the vine, grape juice. Not alcoholic.
jockey box wrote: What if Christ intended us to use wine and bread, as he did.
33 For John the Baptist came neither eating bread nor drinking wine; and ye say, He hath a devil.

34 The Son of man is come eating and drinking; and ye say, Behold a gluttonous man, and a winebibber, a friend of publicans and sinners!
According to strong's, the word winebibber is οἰνοπότης, which translates to wine drinker or drunkard. It's also clear from the context of the verses above what He meant by wine here.

jockeybox
captain of 100

Post by jockeybox »

Elizabeth wrote:It is my belief He drank the fruit of the vine, grape juice. Not alcoholic.
jockey box wrote: What if Christ intended us to use wine and bread, as he did.
I use to tell that to people on my mission.
However, in the Hebrew, Latin and Greek languages, they all contain distinct differentiating words for "wine" versus "grape juice". One is fermented, the other isn't.

The scriptures speak to moderation, not prohibition.

jockeybox
captain of 100

Post by jockeybox »

Stacy Oliver wrote: We know he doesn't care what we use because he told us he doesn't care. (D&C 27:2) Why don't you believe Him?
He doesn't care. And yes I believe him.

Elizabeth
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: LDS Thoughts and DOCTRINE.

Post by Elizabeth »

An article in this month's Ensign quotes President Packer at various points of his ministry. Concerning his witness he said:

“Now, I wonder with you why one such as I should be called to the holy apostleship. There are so many qualifications that I lack. There is so much in my effort to serve that is wanting. As I have pondered on it, I have come to only one single thing, one qualification in which there may be cause, and that is, I have that witness."
“After all the years that I have lived and taught and served, after the millions of miles I have traveled around the world, with all that I have experienced, there is one great truth that I would share. That is my witness of the Savior Jesus Christ.
“Joseph Smith and Sidney Rigdon recorded the following after a sacred experience:
“‘And now, after the many testimonies which have been given of him, this is the testimony, last of all, which we give of him: That he lives!
“‘For we saw him’ (D&C 76:22–23).
“Their words are my words.”
“How privileged I have been throughout my life to be able to bear my special witness that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God. I testify in all humility, but with absolute certainty, that He is the Only Begotten of the Father. This is His Church; He presides over it and directs this work. He is our Redeemer. I know He lives, and I know Him. Of this I testify in the name of Jesus Christ, amen.”

Elizabeth
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Elizabeth »

http://lds.net/blog/life/holidays/chris ... 3-86324693" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"A few stakes of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in Utah County are hosting a Christmas campaign in which they need the help of all returned missionaries, young and old.The campaign, My Mission Christmas, is a mission reunion of sorts, where all who have served are invited to take part. Robert Walz, head of the committee that developed the campaign, explained that participants are asked to share a Christmas memory from their mission on social media, hopefully with a picture, and tag the post with #MyMissionChristmas."

Elizabeth
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Elizabeth »

https://www.lds.org/broadcasts/archive/ ... 21715_CTA1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

LDS Christmas.

OneEternalRound
captain of 50

Post by OneEternalRound »

jockeybox wrote:
Stacy Oliver wrote: We know he doesn't care what we use because he told us he doesn't care. (D&C 27:2) Why don't you believe Him?
He doesn't care. And yes I believe him.
Joseph Smith chose to use wine for sacrament.
In obedience to the above commandment, we prepared some wine of our own making, and held our meeting, consisting only of five, viz., Newel Knight and his wife, myself and my wife, and John Whitmer. We partook together of the Sacrament, after which we confirmed these two sisters into the Church, and spent the evening in a glorious manner. The Spirit of the Lord was poured out upon us, we praised the Lord God, and rejoiced
exceedingly.
The LDS Church chose to use wine for sacrament until 1912 where they switched to use water for sacrament.

What matters is that:
if it so be that ye do it with an eye single to my glory--remembering unto the Father my body which was laid down for you, and my blood which was shed for the remission of your sins

Elizabeth
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Elizabeth »

112th section of D&C:

"Verily, verily, I say unto you, darkness covereth the earth, and gross darkness the minds of the people, and all flesh has become corrupt before my face. Behold, vengeance cometh speedily upon the inhabitants of the earth, a day of wrath, a day of burning, a day of desolation, of weeping, of mourning, and of lamentation; and as a whirlwind it shall come upon all the face of the earth, saith the Lord. And upon my house shall it begin, and from my house shall it go forth, saith the Lord;"

Elizabeth
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Elizabeth »

TIJUANA, MEXICO
https://www.lds.org/church/news/preside ... _&lang=eng" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"President Dieter F. Uchtdorf, Second Counselor in the First Presidency, recently visited the “El Bordo” lighthouse in Mexico's Baja California. He was impressed by El Bordo's capacity to send guiding and protective light across both land and sea.
It prompted the Church leader to consider the divine and revealing light emitted by a dedicated temple—including the Church's 149th temple, the Tijuana Mexico Temple.
“This temple is a lighthouse,” he declared at the December 13 cornerstone ceremony held in conjunction with the temple dedication. “It is a wonderful place. It is a place of spiritual celebration. We have had in all of Mexico this weekend a wonderful spiritual celebration. And this temple is the reason.”
The Tijuana Temple—Mexico’s 13th—was dedicated in three session. Scores of members from northern Mexico attended the event inside the temple, while thousands more viewed the proceedings in meetinghouses across the country."

Elizabeth
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Elizabeth »

https://www.lds.org/liahona/2015/12/mak ... _&lang=eng" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
FIRST PRESIDENCY MESSAGE
Make Time for the Saviour
By President Thomas S. Monson

"Another Christmas season is upon us and with it the dawning of a new year. It seems as though only yesterday we were celebrating the Savior’s birth and making resolutions.
Among our resolutions for this year, did we resolve to make time in our lives and room in our hearts for the Savior? No matter how successful we may have been thus far with such a resolution, I am confident we all wish to do better. This Christmas season is the perfect time to examine and renew our efforts.
In our busy lives, with ever so many other things competing for our attention, it is essential that we make a conscious, committed effort to bring Christ into our lives and into our homes. And it is vital that we, like the Wise Men from the East, remain fixed upon His star and “come to worship him.”1
Down through the generations of time, the message from Jesus has been the same. To Peter and Andrew by the shores of Galilee, He said, “Follow me.” To Philip came the call, “Follow me.” To the Levite who sat at receipt of customs came the instruction, “Follow me.” And to you and to me, if we but listen, will come that same beckoning invitation: “Follow me.”
As we follow in His footsteps today and as we emulate His example, we will have opportunities to bless the lives of others. Jesus invites us to give of ourselves: “Behold, the Lord requireth the heart and a willing mind.”

Elizabeth
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Elizabeth »

https://www.lds.org/liahona/2016/01/the ... d?lang=eng" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Of the general Relief Society meeting in 1995, when President Gordon B. Hinckley (1910–2008) first read “The Family: A Proclamation to the World,” Bonnie L. Oscarson, Young Women general president, said: “We were grateful for and valued the clarity, simplicity, and truth of this revelatory document. … The proclamation on the family has become our benchmark for judging the philosophies of the world, and I testify that the principles set forth … are as true today as they were when they were given to us by a prophet of God nearly 20 years ago.”

“From the family proclamation,” adds Carole M. Stephens, first counselor in the Relief Society general presidency, “we learn, ‘In the premortal realm, spirit sons and daughters knew and worshipped God as their Eternal Father’…

“… We each belong to and are needed in the family of God.”

We live in a time when parents must protect their homes and their families. “The Family: A Proclamation to the World” can guide us."

Elizabeth
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Elizabeth »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IqaesQ2EE8w" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

" I share this with the hope that is might touch another person's life whether you are LDS or not and give them the inspiration and motivation to prepare a little harder for the "great and dreadful day of the Lord". which I feel is closer than we realize. Please share this with anyone that you would benefit from watching it. I would love to hear people's thoughts and feelings after they watch it.

We are the chosen generation who needs to prepare for the second Coming of the Savior. We are on a mission to prove whether or not we will persevere in a world ripening in iniquity. We are among the elect whom the Lord has called during this "eleventh hour" to labor in His vineyard, a vineyard that has become corrupted every whit" and which only a few "doeth good". We are those few.. (excerpts for Sheri Dew)

People of all faiths, LDS, Protestants, Baptists, good men and women all over the world are preparing to meet Christ. I personally look forward to the day." davidkat99

Elizabeth
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Elizabeth »

http://www.mormonchannel.org/watch/seri ... _xLIDyL1-C_" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"While traveling the road to Nazareth, Joseph reflects on experiences he and his small family have had so far and on the significance of his Son’s mission to become the savior of the world. Even though he was often overwhelmed, Joseph was always loyal to God and to his Son, Jesus Christ. How will we follow his example this Christmas season?"

Elizabeth
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Elizabeth »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4hkwhOiD98" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"For Unto Us a Child is Born" from the Mormon Tabernacle Choir

deep water
captain of 1,000

Post by deep water »

Most all pagan holidays have there origin at the tower of Babel.
Would a True Christian celebrate a pagan holiday? Could someone who celebrates a pagan Holiday, be considered a true Christian?

kennyhs
captain of 1,000

Post by kennyhs »

deep water wrote:Most all pagan holidays have there origin at the tower of Babel.
Would a True Christian celebrate a pagan holiday? Could someone who celebrates a pagan Holiday, be considered a true Christian?
Yes, I consulted the spirit before I replied.

Elizabeth
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Elizabeth »

Elizabeth
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Elizabeth »

Elder McConkie:

"Being subject to law, and having their agency, all the spirits of men, while yet in the Eternal Presence, developed aptitudes, talents, capacities, and abilities of every sort, kind, and degree. During the long expanse of life which then was, an infinite variety of talents and abilities came into being. As the ages rolled, no two spirits remained alike. Mozart became a musician; Einstein centered his interest in mathematics; Michelangelo turned his attention to painting. Cain, was a liar, a schemer, a rebel who maintained a close affinity to Lucifer."

Elizabeth
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Elizabeth »

“The First Presidency and Quorum of the Twelve Apostles counsel together and share all the Lord has directed us to understand and to feel, individually and collectively,” President Nelson shared in the first Worldwide Devotional for Young Adults this year. “And then, we watch the Lord move upon the President of the Church to proclaim the Lord’s will.” Speaking specifically of recent changes to the Church's handbook regarding same-sex couples and their families, President Nelson said:
“Filled with compassion for all, and especially for the children, we wrestled at length to understand the Lord’s will in this matter . . . We met repeatedly in the temple in fasting and prayer and sought further direction and inspiration.
“And then, when the Lord inspired His prophet, President Thomas S. Monson, to declare the mind of the Lord and the will of the Lord, each of us during that sacred moment felt a spiritual confirmation. It was our privilege as Apostles to sustain what had been revealed to President Monson. Revelation from the Lord to His servants is a sacred process. And so is your privilege of receiving personal revelation.”
http://www.ldsliving.com/President-Nels ... =ldsliving" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Elizabeth
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Elizabeth »

President Henry B. Eyring, first counselor in the First Presidency of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, rededicated the Suva Fiji Temple on Sunday, February 21, 2016.

In spite of the damage to the city of Suva caused by Cyclone Winston, members arrived safely at the Temple after the cyclone had passed to participate in the Suva Fiji Temple rededication sessions. They traveled along the debris-strewn roads and some were delayed by check-points, but still they came. President Eyring arrived excited to join with the Fijian Saints in anticipation of this very sacred event.

http://www.mormonnewsroom.org/article/p ... iji-temple" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Elizabeth
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Elizabeth »

SUVA, FIJI
https://www.lds.org/church/news/preside ... _&lang=eng

"After the winds and rain of Cyclone Winston pounded Fiji during a long and devastating "night, the sun rose on the Pacific island nation—shining its light on the Suva Fiji Temple.
Standing in front of the temple hours after the storm hit Suva, Elder Adolf J. Johansson, an Area Seventy, recalled the devastating impact of the worst storm ever recorded in Fiji’s history.
Through it all he felt a “peaceful calm, a spiritual feeling that everything would work out OK and that the sun would shine” on the rededication.
Early in the morning after the cyclone, birds flew above the temple—a sign to Elder Johansson that the rededication would go on. “President Eyring came here to dedicate the temple, and he will do that,” he said.
No Latter-day Saints or missionaries were reported injured by Tropical Cyclone Winston, which struck Fiji with winds up to 175 miles per hour in the nighttime hours between the LDS Church’s youth temple cultural celebration and the temple rededication."

Elizabeth
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Elizabeth »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2wdMwpYByI" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Because the Saviour lives, we all have access to hope, joy, peace, repentance and eternal life as we heed His call to “come, follow me” (Luke 18:22).

Elizabeth
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Elizabeth »

Music, song and dance will be in abundance at the 2016 Salt Lake Interfaith Roundtable Interfaith Musical Tribute held in the Tabernacle on Temple Square in Salt Lake City, Utah, March 20, 2016, at 6:00 p.m. Concert performances will also include scripture and prayers from nine Utah faith traditions.

http://www.mormonnewsroom.org/article/s ... ple-square" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Elizabeth
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Elizabeth »

https://www.lds.org/?lang=eng" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thoughts for Easter.

Elizabeth
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Elizabeth »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2wdMwpYByI" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

LDS Easter