LDS Thoughts and DOCTRINE.

For discussing the Church, Gospel of Jesus Christ, Mormonism, etc.
Elizabeth
Level 34 Illuminated

LDS Thoughts and DOCTRINE.

Post by Elizabeth »

https://www.lds.org/pages/church-handbo ... _&lang=eng" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"First Presidency Clarifies Church Handbook Changes
THE CHURCH OF JESUS CHRIST OF LATTER-DAY SAINTS

OFFICE OF THE FIRST PRESIDENCY

47 EAST SOUTH TEMPLE STREET, SALT LAKE CITY, UTAH 84150-1200

November 13, 2015

To: General Authorities; Area Seventies; General Auxiliary Presidencies; Stake, District, Mission, and Temple Presidents; Bishops and Branch Presidents

Dear Brethren and Sisters:

The Council of the First Presidency and Quorum of the Twelve Apostles provides the following guidance in applying provisions on same-gender marriage recently added to Handbook 1:

Revealed doctrine is clear that families are eternal in nature and purpose. We are obligated to act with that perspective for the welfare of both adults and children. The newly added Handbook provisions affirm that adults who choose to enter into a same-gender marriage or similar relationship commit sin that warrants a Church disciplinary council.

Our concern with respect to children is their current and future well-being and the harmony of their home environment. The provisions of Handbook 1, Section 16.13, that restrict priesthood ordinances for minors, apply only to those children whose primary residence is with a couple living in a same-gender marriage or similar relationship. As always, local leaders may request further guidance in particular instances when they have questions.

When a child living with such a same-gender couple has already been baptized and is actively participating in the Church, provisions of Section 16.13 do not require that his or her membership activities or priesthood privileges be curtailed or that further ordinances be withheld. Decisions about any future ordinances for such children should be made by local leaders with their prime consideration being the preparation and best interests of the child.

All children are to be treated with utmost respect and love. They are welcome to attend Church meetings and participate in Church activities. All children may receive priesthood blessings of healing and spiritual guidance.

May the Lord continue to bless you in your ministry.

Sincerely yours,"
Last edited by Elizabeth on December 13th, 2015, 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Elizabeth
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: LDS Doctrine.

Post by Elizabeth »

On January 1, 2000, the First Presidency and Quorum of the Twelve Apostles issued the following declaration. Titled “The Living Christ,” this declaration bears witness of the Lord Jesus Christ and summarizes His identity and divine mission:

“As we commemorate the birth of Jesus Christ two millennia ago, we offer our testimony of the reality of His matchless life and the infinite virtue of His great atoning sacrifice. None other has had so profound an influence upon all who have lived and will yet live upon the earth.

“He was the Great Jehovah of the Old Testament, the Messiah of the New. Under the direction of His Father, He was the creator of the earth. ‘All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made’ ( John 1:3). Though sinless, He was baptized to fulfill all righteousness. He ‘went about doing good’ ( Acts 10:38), yet was despised for it. His gospel was a message of peace and goodwill. He entreated all to follow His example. He walked the roads of Palestine, healing the sick, causing the blind to see, and raising the dead. He taught the truths of eternity, the reality of our premortal existence, the purpose of our life on earth, and the potential for the sons and daughters of God in the life to come.

“He instituted the sacrament as a reminder of His great atoning sacrifice. He was arrested and condemned on spurious charges, convicted to satisfy a mob, and sentenced to die on Calvary’s cross. He gave His life to atone for the sins of all mankind. His was a great vicarious gift in behalf of all who would ever live upon the earth.

“We solemnly testify that His life, which is central to all human history, neither began in Bethlehem nor concluded on Calvary. He was the Firstborn of the Father, the Only Begotten Son in the flesh, the Redeemer of the world.

“He rose from the grave to ‘become the firstfruits of them that slept’ ( 1 Corinthians 15:20). As Risen Lord, He visited among those He had loved in life. He also ministered among His ‘other sheep’ ( John 10:16) in ancient America. In the modern world, He and His Father appeared to the boy Joseph Smith, ushering in the long-promised ‘dispensation of the fulness of times’ ( Ephesians 1:10).

“Of the Living Christ, the Prophet Joseph wrote: ‘His eyes were as a flame of fire; the hair of his head was white like the pure snow; his countenance shone above the brightness of the sun; and his voice was as the sound of the rushing of great waters, even the voice of Jehovah, saying:

“ ‘I am the first and the last; I am he who liveth, I am he who was slain; I am your advocate with the Father’ ( D&C 110:3–4).

“Of Him the Prophet also declared: ‘And now, after the many testimonies which have been given of him, this is the testimony, last of all, which we give of him: That he lives!

“ ‘For we saw him, even on the right hand of God; and we heard the voice bearing record that he is the Only Begotten of the Father—

“ ‘That by him, and through him, and of him, the worlds are and were created, and the inhabitants thereof are begotten sons and daughters unto God’ ( D&C 76:22–24).

“We declare in words of solemnity that His priesthood and His Church have been restored upon the earth—‘built upon the foundation of … apostles and prophets, Jesus Christ himself being the chief corner stone’ ( Ephesians 2:20).

“We testify that He will someday return to earth. ‘And the glory of the Lord shall be revealed, and all flesh shall see it together’ ( Isaiah 40:5). He will rule as King of Kings and reign as Lord of Lords, and every knee shall bend and every tongue shall speak in worship before Him. Each of us will stand to be judged of Him according to our works and the desires of our hearts.

“We bear testimony, as His duly ordained Apostles—that Jesus is the Living Christ, the immortal Son of God. He is the great King Immanuel, who stands today on the right hand of His Father. He is the light, the life, and the hope of the world. His way is the path that leads to happiness in this life and eternal life in the world to come. God be thanked for the matchless gift of His divine Son” ( Ensign,Apr. 2000, 2–3).

https://www.lds.org/topics/jesus-christ?lang=eng" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Obrien
Up, up and away.

Post by Obrien »

I could post pages and pages of cut and paste info - would it be enlightening?

rewcox
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by rewcox »

Elizabeth is doing a good thing. People need to be Reminded, an R word.
Obrien wrote:I could post pages and pages of cut and paste info - would it be enlightening?

Obrien
Up, up and away.

Re: Jesus' Doctrine.

Post by Obrien »

Ok...I wasn't tracking her intent.

Not to derail, but let's try some Christ Doctrine, from 3 Nephi 11:

31 Behold, verily, verily, I say unto you, I will declare unto you my doctrine.

32 And this is my doctrine, and it is the doctrine which the Father hath given unto me; and I bear record of the Father, and the Father beareth record of me, and the Holy Ghost beareth record of the Father and me; and I bear record that the Father commandeth all men, everywhere, to repent and believe in me.

33 And whoso believeth in me, and is baptized, the same shall be saved; and they are they who shall inherit the kingdom of God.

34 And whoso believeth not in me, and is not baptized, shall be damned.

35 Verily, verily, I say unto you, that this is my doctrine, and I bear record of it from the Father; and whoso believeth in me believeth in the Father also; and unto him will the Father bear record of me, for he will visit him with fire and with the Holy Ghost.

36 And thus will the Father bear record of me, and the Holy Ghost will bear record unto him of the Father and me; for the Father, and I, and the Holy Ghost are one.

37 And again I say unto you, ye must repent, and become as a little child, and be baptized in my name, or ye can in nowise receive these things.

38 And again I say unto you, ye must repent, and be baptized in my name, and become as a little child, or ye can in nowise inherit the kingdom of God.

39 Verily, verily, I say unto you, that this is my doctrine

butterfly
captain of 1,000

Post by butterfly »

Obrien wrote:

32 And this is my doctrine, and it is the doctrine which the Father hath given unto me; and I bear record of the Father, and the Father beareth record of me, and the Holy Ghost beareth record of the Father and me; and I bear record that the Father commandeth all men, everywhere, to repent and believe in me.

33 And whoso believeth in me, and is baptized, the same shall be saved; and they are they who shall inherit the kingdom of God.

35 Verily, verily, I say unto you, that this is my doctrine, and I bear record of it from the Father; and whoso believeth in me believeth in the Father also; and unto him will the Father bear record of me, for he will visit him with fire and with the Holy Ghost.

36 And thus will the Father bear record of me, and the Holy Ghost will bear record unto him of the Father and me; for the Father, and I, and the Holy Ghost are one.

37 And again I say unto you, ye must repent, and become as a little child, and be baptized in my name, or ye can in nowise receive these things.

38 And again I say unto you, ye must repent, and be baptized in my name, and become as a little child, or ye can in nowise inherit the kingdom of God.

I'm a visual learner and also a language interpreter. So I think about what words are actually trying to convey. Phrases like "be baptized in my name" and "believe in me" have always bothered me as far as what the Savior is trying to tell us to do.

Honestly, what I visualize for "be baptized in my name" is:
the name JESUS, made out of water, and I'm supposed to lay down until I'm completely covered by His watery letters.
Similarly, for "believe in me" I picture that I have to shrink down so that my entire body can fit inside of Jesus, probably in His heart. So there I am, little me, inside of Jesus' heart and now I'm ready to believe that this is how I will be saved.
I'm being serious. Why does He use such odd wording? He doesn't say "Believe me, trust me,"etc. He says Believe IN me and be baptized IN my name.
We could go on :"take my name upon you" - okay, how much does it weigh?
When translating these phrases, you have to know exactly what He is trying to convey, otherwise you will likely translate the visual description and not the actual meaning.
So what do you think He is trying to convey/explain with:
1) be baptized in my name
2) believe in me
3) take my name upon you

deep water
captain of 1,000

Post by deep water »

Very good butterfly, very good indeed. They are just that "words" until you fill the weight of them on your spirit.

deep water
captain of 1,000

Post by deep water »

Obrien wrote:Ok...I wasn't tracking her intent.

So Obrien, what I get out of what you posted is; if you believe, I mean trully believe, not just to say but to do, then you will know you believe, because you will be visited by Fire and the Holy Ghost. Very weightfilled words. Thank you.

Dash jones
captain of 100

Post by Dash jones »

1. For any Christian (well most), and this includes Mormons, the Baptismal prayer basically addresses this.

2. Believing in someone is FAR different than believing someone.

You can believe a fireman when he tells you he is a fireman. Will you believe in him enough to save you if your house is on fire and he is the only one that can save your from a fiery doom?

One requires a little faith, the other requires a LOT more.

Another example...

You can believe someone when they say they are going to start a business that they feel will be successful.

But do you believe IN THEM strongly enough to put your own money into their company and support it?

In that light, we can Believe that the Lord is the Savior. However, do we Believe in him enough that he is the way for us to be saved?

3. To be called Christian. The LDS church is rather unique (as we call them Mormons, and the Mormons do this too these days), but it does state in it's name that the Name of the Church is The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

Obrien
Up, up and away.

Post by Obrien »

deep water wrote:

Not to derail, but let's try some Christ Doctrine, from 3 Nephi 11:31-39
So Obrien, what I get out of what you posted is; if you believe, I mean trully believe, not just to say but to do, then you will know you believe, because you will be visited by Fire and the Holy Ghost. Very weightfilled words. Thank you.
Close, deepwater.
I simply quoted Christ's words to show the simplicity of His way - believe, repent, become as a little child and be baptized in His name.

I also intended to contrast His doctrine with the complexity and minutia of current "LDS doctrine" as presented on this thread. The divergence is becoming more and more stark. I believe it is because we (the LDS) are often Pharisees, seeking to judge others and grade each other based on adherence to policies, rather than being disciples seeking to fulfill the two great commandments and become as a little child.

Ribble
captain of 100

Post by Ribble »

Obrien wrote:
deep water wrote:

Not to derail, but let's try some Christ Doctrine, from 3 Nephi 11:31-39
Close, deepwater.
I simply quoted Christ's words to show the simplicity of His way - believe, repent, become as a little child and be baptized in His name.

I also intended to contrast His doctrine with the complexity and minutia of current "LDS doctrine" as presented on this thread. The divergence is becoming more and more stark. I believe it is because we (the LDS) are often Pharisees, seeking to judge others and grade each other based on adherence to policies, rather than being disciples seeking to fulfill the two great commandments and become as a little child.
Well said, Obrien! :ymapplause:

Elizabeth
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Elizabeth »

https://www.lds.org/liahona/2015/01/an- ... _&lang=eng" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

“The sacrament should be a powerful, reverent, reflective moment. It should encourage spiritual feelings and impressions. As such it should not be rushed. It is not something to ‘get over’ so that the real purpose of a sacrament meeting can be pursued. This is the real purpose of the meeting. And everything that is said or sung or prayed in those services should be consistent with the grandeur of this sacred ordinance.”

Elder Jeffrey R. Holland of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles

Obrien
Up, up and away.

Post by Obrien »

Elizabeth wrote:https://www.lds.org/liahona/2015/01/an- ... _&lang=eng

“The sacrament should be a powerful, reverent, reflective moment. It should encourage spiritual feelings and impressions. As such it should not be rushed. It is not something to ‘get over’ so that the real purpose of a sacrament meeting can be pursued. This is the real purpose of the meeting. And everything that is said or sung or prayed in those services should be consistent with the grandeur of this sacred ordinance.”

Elder Jeffrey R. Holland of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles
IF what J Holland says is true ^^^, we as a church ought to at least use the emblems Christ used...

Elizabeth
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Elizabeth »

https://www.lds.org/manual/old-testamen ... 9?lang=eng" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"Instead of following a steady course, we are pulled by some mistaken idea in another direction. The movement away from our original destination may be ever so small, but, if continued, that very small movement becomes a great gap and we find ourselves far from where we intended to go” (“Words of the Prophet: Seek Learning,” New Era, Sept. 2007, 2).

• Considering President Hinckley’s statement, what do you think a switch point could represent in our lives?”

Elizabeth
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Elizabeth »

" what a blessing it would have been to David if only he had known in the beginning what he knew in the end.

What a contrast to Job’s life. Satan, who was jealous of Job, said to the Lord:

Doth Job fear God for nought?

Hast not thou made an hedge about him, and about his house, and about all that he hath on every side? thou hast blessed the work of his hands, and his substance is increased in the land. [Job 1:9–10]

A great truth is taught here. The Lord hath made a hedge about each one of us and our homes and all that we have on every side. The hedge comes from keeping the commandments and walking in God’s path.”

https://speeches.byu.edu/talks/vaughn-j ... out-straw/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Analyzing
captain of 100

Post by Analyzing »

Elizabeth wrote:https://www.lds.org/manual/old-testamen ... 9?lang=eng

"Instead of following a steady course, we are pulled by some mistaken idea in another direction. The movement away from our original destination may be ever so small, but, if continued, that very small movement becomes a great gap and we find ourselves far from where we intended to go” (“Words of the Prophet: Seek Learning,” New Era, Sept. 2007, 2).

• Considering President Hinckley’s statement, what do you think a switch point could represent in our lives?”
It is a good question.

From the beginning stages of conversion, through discipleship, there will be times that a "switch point" will become necessary for progression. As we progress most, if not all, will find that they had some mistaken ideas. If not mistaken then superficial. A deeper understanding of the Gospel will require a switch point. The entire purpose of coming unto Christ is to put off the natural man and become perfected in Christ. In other words it is a constant switching of your attitude, thoughts and behavior. In saying this I am contending that it is foolish to believe that we will not be pulled, to some degree, by mistaken ideas. That leaves us with the ideas of "instead of following a steady course" and "if continued" as the thoughts we need to address.

I believe the following illustrates the proper principles for establishing a steady course and recognizing lack in maintenance.

33 Preach unto them repentance, and faith on the Lord Jesus Christ; teach them to humble themselves and to be meek and lowly in heart; teach them to withstand every temptation of the devil, with their faith on the Lord Jesus Christ.
34 Teach them to never be weary of good works, but to be meek and lowly in heart; for such shall find rest to their souls.
35 O, remember, my son, and learn wisdom in thy youth; yea, learn in thy youth to keep the commandments of God.
36 Yea, and cry unto God for all thy support; yea, let all thy doings be unto the Lord, and whithersoever thou goest let it be in the Lord; yea, let all thy thoughts be directed unto the Lord; yea, let the affections of thy heart be placed upon the Lord forever.
37 Counsel with the Lord in all thy doings, and he will direct thee for good; yea, when thou liest down at night lie down unto the Lord, that he may watch over you in your sleep; and when thou risest in the morning let thy heart be full of thanks unto God; and if ye do these things, ye shall be lifted up at the last day.

38 And now, my son, I have somewhat to say concerning the thing which our fathers call a ball, or director—or our fathers called it Liahona, which is, being interpreted, a compass; and the Lord prepared it.
39 And behold, there cannot any man work after the manner of so curious a workmanship. And behold, it was prepared to show unto our fathers the course which they should travel in the wilderness.
40 And it did work for them according to their faith in God; therefore, if they had faith to believe that God could cause that those spindles should point the way they should go, behold, it was done; therefore they had this miracle, and also many other miracles wrought by the power of God, day by day.
41 Nevertheless, because those miracles were worked by small means it did show unto them marvelous works. They were slothful, and forgot to exercise their faith and diligence and then those marvelous works ceased, and they did not progress in their journey;

42 Therefore, they tarried in the wilderness, or did not travel a direct course, and were afflicted with hunger and thirst, because of their transgressions.
43 And now, my son, I would that ye should understand that these things are not without a shadow; for as our fathers were slothful to give heed to this compass (now these things were temporal) they did not prosper; even so it is with things which are spiritual.
44 For behold, it is as easy to give heed to the word of Christ, which will point to you a straight course to eternal bliss, as it was for our fathers to give heed to this compass, which would point unto them a straight course to the promised land.
45 And now I say, is there not a type in this thing? For just as surely as this director did bring our fathers, by following its course, to the promised land, shall the words of Christ, if we follow their course, carry us beyond this vale of sorrow into a far better land of promise.
46 O my son, do not let us be slothful because of the easiness of the way; for so was it with our fathers; for so was it prepared for them, that if they would look they might live; even so it is with us. The way is prepared, and if we will look we may live forever.
47 And now, my son, see that ye take care of these sacred things, yea, see that ye look to God and live....

There is much to gain from in these verses. I would like to focus a little on vs 42. In most scriptural references of spiritual hunger and thirst it is a positive to posses, 6 And blessed are all they who do hunger and thirst after righteousness, for they shall be filled with the Holy Ghost. In the instance above it is an affliction. Learning if you are hungered and thirsting because you have been afflicted, due to mistaken ideas, or if it is due to righteous desire, is key to understanding and assists in prevention from following mistaken ideas.

deep water
captain of 1,000

Post by deep water »

This is very good advice and counsel, Analyzing, it showed that even though they(Lehi and Nephi) were prophets of God, they had to follow Gods direction to progress toward Gods purposes for them. However I would like to add some more scriptural teaching to go along with this line of thought. That is the act of ripening in iniquity, or inequality both words being used in the BOM to describe the same sin, with a little different shade of meaning.
When Nephi brought back food from hunting, he did not say "this is for me and my wife, you must go get your own", . He shared equally with all. On the other hand, he demanded that the other members in the camp, did their duties. There is a big difference between a hand up, and a hand out. There is a big difference between being a helpmate, and an enabler. I do not think anybody calling themselves a child of God would seek a handout, And I don't think we are responsible to supply a handout to others. Whether or not they are the prophet, or the lowest member. But I know it is required to offer a hand-up, when and wherever you see need. Great scripture.

Elizabeth
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Elizabeth »

Isaiah 55:8,9
8 ¶For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the Lord.
9 For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts.

Elizabeth
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Elizabeth »

Seventh verse of the hymn "How Firm a Foundation":

That soul that on Jesus hath leaned for repose

I will not, I cannot, desert to his foes;

That soul, though all hell should endeavor to shake,

I'll never, no never, no never forsake.

Elizabeth
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Elizabeth »

121st Section of the D&C:
"Let virtue garnish thy thoughts unceasingly; then shall thy confidence wax strong in the presence of God; and the doctrine of the priesthood shall distil upon thy soul as the dews from heaven."

Obrien
Up, up and away.

Post by Obrien »

Elizabeth wrote:121st Section of the D&C:
"Let virtue garnish thy thoughts unceasingly; then shall thy confidence wax strong in the presence of God; and the doctrine of the priesthood shall distil upon thy soul as the dews from heaven."
Great teaching.

Elizabeth
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Elizabeth »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... wpM-4kEIGA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

David Osmond sings
The Star Still Shines

Obrien
Up, up and away.

Post by Obrien »

You should rename this thread "LDS Culture".

Elizabeth
Level 34 Illuminated

LDS Doctrine.

Post by Elizabeth »

:) It is always a dilemma as to a flexible yet appropriate name.

Elizabeth
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: LDS Thoughts and DOCTRINE.

Post by Elizabeth »

"At Christmastime, we speak of angels when we review the sweet story about shepherds who are tending their flocks by night: “And the angel [of the Lord] said unto them, Fear not: for, behold, I bring you good tidings of great joy, which shall be to all people.

“For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Saviour, which is Christ the Lord.”

Other angels—heavenly messengers—have participated in the Restoration. And now we know more about them.

Moroni, the last in a line of prophets in an ancient American civilization, held priesthood keys for an ancient, sacred record that we now know as the Book of Mormon. Moroni was foreordained for that responsibility. That was revealed in the biblical book of Revelation. There John prophesied: “I saw another angel fly in the midst of heaven, having the everlasting gospel to preach unto them that dwell on the earth, and to every nation, and kindred, and tongue, and people.”

Michael is identified as the archangel, or chief angel. Latter-day revelation informs us that Michael is Adam, patriarch of the human family.

The angel Gabriel is a heavenly messenger well known to Bible students. God sent Gabriel to Daniel, to Zacharias, and to Mary, each with specific messages of supernal significance. In latter-day revelation, Gabriel has been identified as Noah.
The angel Gabriel was the messenger to bring news to Elisabeth and Zacharias that they would be the parents of a baby, later to be known as John the Baptist. Scripture tells us that John “was baptized while he was yet in his childhood, and was ordained by the angel of God . . . to make straight the way of the Lord.”

The Bible informs us that John the Baptist was beheaded. His latter-day responsibility to restore the Aaronic priesthood is also a stunning testimony of the glorious reality of the Resurrection.

The Book of Mormon adds much to our understanding of angels. An instructive example is in chapter seven of Third Nephi: “It came to pass that Nephi—having been visited by angels and also the voice of the Lord, therefore having seen angels, and being eye-witness, . . . that he might know concerning the ministry of Christ, . . . began to testify, boldly, repentance and remission of sins through faith on the Lord Jesus Christ.

“ . . . for so great was his faith on the Lord Jesus Christ that angels did minister unto him daily.”
Moroni anticipated a question from us, as readers of his ancient record. His question: “Have angels ceased to appear unto the children of men?”

His answer: “Behold I say unto you, Nay; for it is by faith that miracles are wrought; and it is by faith that angels appear and minister unto men.”

That specific angels participated in the Restoration is evident from section 128 of the Doctrine and Covenants. There we read about “the voice of God . . . and the voice of Michael, the archangel; the voice of Gabriel, and of Raphael, and of divers angels, from Michael or Adam down to the present time.”

Those diverse angels—or heavenly messengers—could include John the Beloved, who did not die, but was allowed to tarry on earth as a ministering servant until the time of the Lord’s Second Coming. The three Nephites could likewise be in that same category. Their desire to tarry until the Second Coming was also granted. “they are as the angels of God, and . . . can show themselves unto whatsoever man it seemeth them good.”

The Lord made a promise to those faithfully engaged in His service. He said: “I will go before your face. I will be on your right hand and on your left, and my Spirit shall be in your hearts, and mine angels round about you, to bear you up.”

My wife Wendy and I are the beneficiaries of that promise. On one occasion, we were attacked by armed men with malicious intent. They announced their purpose: to kidnap her, and to kill me. After they maliciously molested us in those evil objectives, they became totally foiled. A gun to my head failed to fire. And my wife was suddenly released from their hideous grasp. Then they disappeared as quickly as they had appeared. We were mercifully rescued from potential disaster. We know we were protected by angels round about us. Yes, the Lord’s precious promise had been invoked in our behalf."

Accomplishing the Impossible: What God Does, What We Can Do, President Russell M. Nelson