Jesus Married to Mary Magdalene

For discussing the Church, Gospel of Jesus Christ, Mormonism, etc.
Bgood
captain of 1,000

Jesus Married to Mary Magdalene

Post by Bgood »

Last edited by Bgood on July 19th, 2015, 11:05 am, edited 4 times in total.

Bgood
captain of 1,000

Re: Jesus Married to Mary Magdalene

Post by Bgood »

This book has some very good evidence to show that Jesus was married during His life on the Earth. It was openly taught in LDS General Conferences in the 1800's, and there are also evidences from Jewish references & beliefs.

A historian of early Christianity at Harvard Divinity School has identified a papyrus fragment in the Coptic language that she says contains the first known statement saying that Jesus was married. The fragment also refers to a female disciple.
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/19/us/.." onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

Video completed by Kevin Kraut, son of Ogden Kraut. You can get Ogden Krauts books at Old Pioneer Press at 801-609-2222. They will ship them to you as well.
http://www.i4m.com/think/bible/Jesus_Was_Married.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Tony
captain of 100

Post by Tony »

Jesus was definitely married. Being sealed in the temple is the highest ordinance and Jesus was our exemplar. If we want to be like Him, we have to get sealed in the temple, which means he was married. That said, we have no knowledge of who His spouse was, although I am certainly willing to accept that it may have been Mary Magdalene.

Elizabeth
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: Jesus Married

Post by Elizabeth »

Mary of Bethany, and her sister Martha.
Tony wrote:Jesus was definitely married. Being sealed in the temple is the highest ordinance and Jesus was our exemplar. If we want to be like Him, we have to get sealed in the temple, which means he was married. That said, we have no knowledge of who His spouse was, although I am certainly willing to accept that it may have been Mary Magdalene.

inho
captain of 1,000

Post by inho »

Article by William E. Phipps (non-mormon, who has also written a book about married Jesus) in Dialogue: The Case for a Married Jesus.

Early Church leaders taught openly about the marriage of Jesus. Then again, they also believed that Jesus was polygamist. That is one reason, why we don't here those statements anymore.

SuHwak
captain of 50

Post by SuHwak »

Bgood; The first video you shared is critical of the claim that Jesus was (or I would say, still) married, and the second heralds the claim. So, what do you believe?

marktheshark
captain of 100

Post by marktheshark »

The first person to witness the resurrected Christ was whom?

There's your answer.

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Post by marc »

marktheshark wrote:The first person to witness the resurrected Christ was whom?

There's your answer.
Agreed.

Elizabeth
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: Jesus Married to Mary

Post by Elizabeth »

Mary of Bethany.

Jeremy
captain of 1,000

Post by Jeremy »

There's your answer.
Answer to what?

marktheshark
captain of 100

Post by marktheshark »

Jeremy wrote:

There's your answer.
Answer to what?

Are you trolling or simply not paying attention?

Jeremy
captain of 1,000

Post by Jeremy »

marktheshark wrote:Are you trolling or simply not paying attention?
:ymsigh: What [or where] is the question you were providing an answer to?

Jeremy
captain of 1,000

Post by Jeremy »

That was an interesting listen. What I got from it (correct me if I misunderstood) was that [1] there is a reasonable excuse why Mary Magdalene is commonly thought to be a prostitute and [2] there is no evidence in the New Testament or Gnostic Gospels sufficient to serve as proof that Jesus was married to Mary.

That doesn't mean she wasn't though.

marktheshark
captain of 100

Post by marktheshark »

Jeremy wrote:
marktheshark wrote:Are you trolling or simply not paying attention?
:ymsigh: What [or where] is the question you were providing an answer to?

The question is not obvious Jeremy?

Clearly Marc knew what I was talking about.

Was Jesus married?

My response, is that the first person to witness the resurrection was the Lord's own wife.

rewcox
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by rewcox »

If Jesus was married, the Davinci Code is correct!??!

That was a good read.

Strange_Matter
captain of 10

Post by Strange_Matter »

Of course Jesus was married. The sealing ordinance is one of the five saving ordinances essential to an individual's salvation. Part of Christ's mission here was to set an example for us all. We know for certain he was baptized. Since he was baptized it's safe to assume he took part in the other saving ordinances to set an example for us. While it isn't directly spelled out in the New Testament that this happened we do have modern revelation from the prophet Joseph Smith:
"If a man gets the fulness of the priesthood of God, he has to get it in the same way that Jesus Christ obtained it, and that was by keeping all the commandments and obeying all the ordinances of the House of the Lord..." (TPC-JS p.419)
As far as who he was married to... we can only speculate. Mary Magdalene is as good a guess as any.

BurningSword
captain of 100

Post by BurningSword »

Matthew 22

24 Saying, Master, Moses said, If a man die, having no children, his brother shall marry his wife, and raise up seed unto his brother.

25 Now there were with us seven brethren: and the first, when he had married a wife, deceased, and, having no issue, left his wife unto his brother:

26 Likewise the second also, and the third, unto the seventh.

27 And last of all the woman died also.

28 Therefore in the resurrection whose wife shall she be of the seven? for they all had her.

29 Jesus answered and said unto them, Ye do err, not knowing the scriptures, nor the power of God.

30 For in the resurrection they neither marry, nor are given in marriage, but are as the angels of God in heaven.

31 But as touching the resurrection of the dead, have ye not read that which was spoken unto you by God, saying,

32 I am the God of Abraham, and the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob? God is not the God of the dead, but of the living.

33 And when the multitude heard this, they were astonished at his doctrine.

I will confirm Jesus Christ was not married to any women, marriage is for the children of men that they might be righteous in life. God is not as the children of men no justification is necessary for He whom has been around forever and seen countless universes come and go. It would have been clearly included in the bible if it was important of mankind to know about a marriage, marriage was created to lessen mankind's unrighteousness such things are not part of Angels of God.

Jeremy
captain of 1,000

Post by Jeremy »

BurningSword wrote:...I will confirm Jesus Christ was not married to any women, marriage is for the children of men that they might be righteous in life. God is not as the children of men no justification is necessary for He whom has been around forever and seen countless universes come and go. It would have been clearly included in the bible if it was important of mankind to know about a marriage, marriage was created to lessen mankind's unrighteousness such things are not part of Angels of God.
What is baptism for and why was Jesus Christ baptized?

I hear that plain and precious truths have been removed from the bible. Could Jesus's marital status be one of those?

BurningSword
captain of 100

Post by BurningSword »

Jeremy wrote:
BurningSword wrote:...I will confirm Jesus Christ was not married to any women, marriage is for the children of men that they might be righteous in life. God is not as the children of men no justification is necessary for He whom has been around forever and seen countless universes come and go. It would have been clearly included in the bible if it was important of mankind to know about a marriage, marriage was created to lessen mankind's unrighteousness such things are not part of Angels of God.

I hear that plain and precious truths have been removed from the bible. Could Jesus's marital status be one of those?
No, it would interfere in the purpose He came for He did not come to take part in mankind's ways, salvation is not determined by marriage. The baptism was to fulfil all righteousness, he did not need to be baptised it was only to show example to mankind of baptism for repentance he himself had no reason to repent for he had no sin, he was not even same as normal mankind but part man and part God while in flesh therefore he could not experience sin itself in that lifetime.

Heaven has access to aid souls much easier after they have been baptised for water acts as a conduit for spirit and allows the Holy-spirit to more easily guide, this does not mean the person can not offend said spirit and lose it connection, but what it does allow is continued forgiveness. A person does not always have the Holy-spirit present with them, it can go to and fro depending on persons condition for if they act in unrighteousness it is offended and withdraws but if in righteousness it remains and lightens their soul.

Bgood
captain of 1,000

Post by Bgood »

SuHwak wrote:Bgood; The first video you shared is critical of the claim that Jesus was (or I would say, still) married, and the second heralds the claim. So, what do you believe?
"One of God's first laws and commandments to man was marriage. And from the Garden of Eden to the present time, God has continued to sanction and bless those who have honored this covenant. Marriage, solemnized by God in the beginning, was established with a Divine acceptance for the purpose of propagation of the species, for mutual help, and for comfort and companionship. It was a union so sacred and spiritual in its nature that the man and woman were to become "one flesh. (Gen. 2:24; Matt. 19:5) This inseparable union is spirituality illustrated in a similar comparison with Christ to His Church (Eph. 5:30); and God has throughout history given many laws and commandments concerning marriage--not restraining marriage, but rather restricting anything that would break the bonds of marriage, viz., fornication, adultery, whoredom, etc. Among these perils to marriage was celibacy (state of being unmarried), which was never an acceptable practice in ancient Israel, nor in early Christianity, but rather a doctrine of the pagans until it became incorporated into an apostate Christianity. By its nature celibacy contributes little to the quality or character in man--much less in a woman--because fruitful propagation of the species is contributory; barrenness in anything tends to extinction.

Paul foresaw the apostasy of Christianity and warned the members of the Church concerning these events. Celibacy, among other things was a "doctrine of devils".

BurningSword
captain of 100

Post by BurningSword »

Bgood wrote:
SuHwak wrote:Bgood; The first video you shared is critical of the claim that Jesus was (or I would say, still) married, and the second heralds the claim. So, what do you believe?
"One of God's first laws and commandments to man was marriage. And from the Garden of Eden to the present time, God has continued to sanction and bless those who have honored this covenant. Marriage, solemnized by God in the beginning, was established with a Divine acceptance for the purpose of propagation of the species, for mutual help, and for comfort and companionship. It was a union so sacred and spiritual in its nature that the man and woman were to become "one flesh. (Gen. 2:24; Matt. 19:5) This inseparable union is spirituality illustrated in a similar comparison with Christ to His Church (Eph. 5:30); and God has throughout history given many laws and commandments concerning marriage--not restraining marriage, but rather restricting anything that would break the bonds of marriage, viz., fornication, adultery, whoredom, etc. Among these perils to marriage was celibacy (state of being unmarried), which was never an acceptable practice in ancient Israel, nor in early Christianity, but rather a doctrine of the pagans until it became incorporated into an apostate Christianity. By its nature celibacy contributes little to the quality or character in man--much less in a woman--because fruitful propagation of the species is contributory; barrenness in anything tends to extinction.

Paul foresaw the apostasy of Christianity and warned the members of the Church concerning these events. Celibacy, among other things was a "doctrine of devils".
You are aware Jesus was celibate, it would be wise not to rush in statements but let the Spirit of truth guide as not to offend the Son of man, by calling it Apostate.

Bgood
captain of 1,000

Post by Bgood »

Jeremy wrote:

"The definition of "fulfilling" the requirements of the law was used when Jesus came to John to be baptized. Baptism was a law of the gospel, practiced by the Jews before Jesus began His ministry. When John refused to baptize the Savior, Jesus demanded John to "suffer it to be so" because it was necessary that he "fulfill" the requirements of the laws of righteousness. Baptism is one of the eternal laws and commandments to which even the Savior of the world had to comply--or "fulfill". It is not compatible with the laws of heaven that one be exalted without obedience to these eternal laws. Although Jesus was the "Lawgiver", it does not permit Him the distinction of also being a lawbreaker. Obedience was a particular requirement upon the Savior for every law and ordinance of the gospel. This confession came from Jesus Himself when He said, "I came not to destroy the law; but to fulfill." He was the example of perfect obedience to the Gospel laws; and marriage, like baptism, is one of the eternal laws.

BurningSword
captain of 100

Post by BurningSword »

Bgood wrote:
Jeremy wrote:

"The definition of "fulfilling" the requirements of the law was used when Jesus came to John to be baptized. Baptism was a law of the gospel, practiced by the Jews before Jesus began His ministry. When John refused to baptize the Savior, Jesus demanded John to "suffer it to be so" because it was necessary that he "fulfill" the requirements of the laws of righteousness. Baptism is one of the eternal laws and commandments to which even the Savior of the world had to comply--or "fulfill". It is not compatible with the laws of heaven that one be exalted without obedience to these eternal laws. Although Jesus was the "Lawgiver", it does not permit Him the distinction of also being a lawbreaker. Obedience was a particular requirement upon the Savior for every law and ordinance of the gospel. This confession came from Jesus Himself when He said, "I came not to destroy the law; but to fulfill." He was the example of perfect obedience to the Gospel laws; and marriage, like baptism, is one of the eternal laws.
Fulfilling all righteousness did not require Jesus Christ being married, nor experience lust or having children, that is ways of man and is not how Heaven works it would actually have lead to sin. Nor did He come to be exalted to become God for He always was God, it has never been about the exaltation it has always been about the salvation of the lost. You truly believe that people whom can not find one to love and be married in temple are incapable of receiving the Highest Heavens? Behold I tell you the glory spoken of Celestial will be given unto few, for few were truly righteous and discern through the spirit of truth to discern the world and overcome it, Marriage is not the determination of the worth of a soul, nor is it the reason for Salvation. Again I tell you Jesus was not married not in the time when he was Jesus Christ upon the earth, if it was so important it would not been left out of bible, for God would of made it so.

Bgood
captain of 1,000

Post by Bgood »

inho wrote:Article by William E. Phipps (non-mormon, who has also written a book about married Jesus) in Dialogue: The Case for a Married Jesus.

Early Church leaders taught openly about the marriage of Jesus. Then again, they also believed that Jesus was polygamist. That is one reason, why we don't here those statements anymore.
Yes; Jesus is a polygamist, did He father children? Paul said that Jesus took upon Him the seed of Abraham (Heb. 2:16), which means simply that He continued the lineage and posterity of Abraham.