Changes coming to the way Sacrament meeting is conducted

For discussing the Church, Gospel of Jesus Christ, Mormonism, etc.
Col. Flagg
Level 34 Illuminated

Changes coming to the way Sacrament meeting is conducted

Post by Col. Flagg »

Does anyone have any insight to the changes that are coming to the way Sacrament meetings are held/conducted? Our HPGL just went through a 4-hour training session last week with our Bishop who went through his 4-hour training with the SP who went through his 4-hour training with a member of the Q of the 70. Our HPGL won't disclose anything, other than to say that changes are going to be implemented that are designed to enhance reverence and remembering our Savior, although, he did leak that singing is going to be more emphasized while there will be less speaking. :)

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Re: Changes coming to the way Sacrament meeting is conducted

Post by marc »

The only change that has been announced in my ward is that sacrament mtg. will be moved from the third block to the first block so that we can be more focused on our Savior.

samizdat
captain of 1,000

Post by samizdat »

Sounds about right. Worldwide implementation of the Sacrament meeting first order is currently underway.

Elizabeth
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Elizabeth »

Ours is and has always been first.
marc wrote:The only change that has been announced in my ward is that sacrament mtg. will be moved from the third block to the first block so that we can be more focused on our Savior.

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Post by marc »

I've lived in many wards throughout my life. Some were first, some were third. Just the way it was. Go figure.

Sirocco
Praise Me!

Post by Sirocco »

marc wrote:I've lived in many wards throughout my life. Some were first, some were third. Just the way it was. Go figure.
Always first here, the, what I call church part should come first.
I don't much care for singing, since it's not fun and upbeat, more depressing and sad.

ajax
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by ajax »

Why don't they just leave it up to the locals?

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Post by marc »

ajax wrote:Why don't they just leave it up to the locals?
You mean by common consent? Naahhh... :p

ajax
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by ajax »

Rather let the Stake and local leadership decide. Just seems like needless micro.

A Random Phrase
Follower of Christ
Location: Staring at my computer, not sure whether to laugh or cry.

Post by A Random Phrase »

Col. Flagg wrote:Does anyone have any insight to the changes that are coming to the way Sacrament meetings are held/conducted? Our HPGL just went through a 4-hour training session last week with our Bishop who went through his 4-hour training with the SP who went through his 4-hour training with a member of the Q of the 70. Our HPGL won't disclose anything, other than to say that changes are going to be implemented that are designed to enhance reverence and remembering our Savior, although, he did leak that singing is going to be more emphasized while there will be less speaking. :)
Another forum I'm on has a lot of people saying that the Church is focusing on keeping the sabbath day holy. It's a new thing and a new focus. I would guess it is this. It seems to be Church-wide (people in other countries are also reporting this new focus). I don't know how that could affect how sacrament meetings are held or conducted, though.

Obrien
Up, up and away.

Post by Obrien »

Does your ward sing with gusto? I have no musical training, and virtually no skills. I do not like singing, much, because I suck at it. No one else in the back in the chairs sings much either. Without an organ, we would sound PATHETIC as a ward. I hope they offer a little training in HOW TO SING so I can feel more like participating without injuring / offending others around me. I really suck.

Did I mention that I really suck at singing, and can't play an instrument either? All true.

PS - My vote is to shorten the block down to 2 hours, with an optional 30 minute minglet at the end with beer and pretzles wait coffee and donuts wait cajun jerky and cashews as a snack.

OCDMOM
captain of 1,000

Post by OCDMOM »

They want the meetings to be better. They want the speakers to focus on the Savior, forget personal stories, introducing themselves, travel stories etc. I myself like the stories and stuff.

jbalm
The Third Comforter

Post by jbalm »

Hopefully they will stop assigning talks that are just paraphrasing previous conference talks.

Some of the best talks I've heard lately are from the teenagers. They should have more of those.

Robert Sinclair
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robert Sinclair »

Focus on those of need in your wards and branches, this will put the focus directly on what the Savior has asked. See to it they all have homes paid for with a covenant and a deed that cannot be broken as well as food and raiment sufficient for their needs and wants that are just. And put out the call to Salt Lake, yes, the old men and administers of the store house treasury of the Lord, to assist with this feast of fat things, of equity and justice, required of the Lord, for the poor, for houses and lands, as well as food and raiment.

That you partake of the sacrament worthily each week, seeing the members are equal in their temporal things, and this not grudgingly, keeping his commandments which he has given us, that we might always have his spirit to be with us. ♡

Daryl
captain of 1,000

Post by Daryl »

ajax wrote:Why don't they just leave it up to the locals?
Wonerful idea. Local meetings. Cool concept. :)

David13
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by David13 »

Because they want standard, uniform, church wide worship. It's kinda like they are all supposed to use the Book of Mormon.
I think if a guy can't sing he ought to collar one of the music ladies and get some lessons. Saying you can't sing is like saying you can't talk, speechify. You just haven't learned yet.
Singing.
I do like the singing, which here in Los Angeles is very good, but.
I just attended two services in two southern Utah towns. Wow, they know their gospel, and they sing with gusto, and the men too, and they sing good.
They learned how.
dc

Daryl
captain of 1,000

Post by Daryl »

Talks that don't cheer on the ward?

"This ward is the best, most humblest ward. This ward is true. I know this ward is true. Namojuskrsame."

Testimony I heard yesterday from a yute after their trek experience last week.

Perhaps a little time could be devoted to pronouncing the Lord's name? OMGod!

Daryl
captain of 1,000

Post by Daryl »

Four hours to read 3 Nephi 18? I read it in less than 5 minutes & I get it.
Break, bless, pass. We are good, right?

Sirocco
Praise Me!

Post by Sirocco »

OCDMOM wrote:They want the meetings to be better. They want the speakers to focus on the Savior, forget personal stories, introducing themselves, travel stories etc. I myself like the stories and stuff.
The only things I liked were the personal stories, I could relate to them!
I remember one where a young woman talked about past experiences with bullying and stuff, I related so well to it, I thought it was beautiful.
My "spiritual" experiences (as you'd call them) have been few, but it's been things I could understand and relate to.
Human feeling and connection with others, not mindless rambling from scripture or conference talks I didn't think anything of when I first heard them.
Yeah I am probably not a person who ought to say anything, but I felt like I should because it was the people (some of the people) that made me really like it there.
It was a feeling, a positive one, that didn't last long (eventually I disliked far more then I liked and the entire thing fell apart for me).
But for a little while that humanity that would come out of some of those talks were really nice.

kingcandy
captain of 10

Post by kingcandy »

Obrien wrote:Does your ward sing with gusto? I have no musical training, and virtually no skills. I do not like singing, much, because I suck at it. No one else in the back in the chairs sings much either. Without an organ, we would sound PATHETIC as a ward. I hope they offer a little training in HOW TO SING so I can feel more like participating without injuring / offending others around me. I really suck.

Did I mention that I really suck at singing, and can't play an instrument either? All true.

PS - My vote is to shorten the block down to 2 hours, with an optional 30 minute minglet at the end with beer and pretzles wait coffee and donuts wait cajun jerky and cashews as a snack.

False. I have plenty of musical training and have heard you sing in a church a time or 500- you have a lovely singing voice. Besides, worship isn't about how good you sound, it's about where your heart and focus are. And regardless of whether or not that's actually done, worship IS the point.

Elizabeth
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Elizabeth »

Robert, this continual harping is insanity.
As you well know there is no such thing as a covenant and deed which cannot be broken.
Nor are LDS members entitled to have their homes paid for and all their needs and wants provided for, however just.
The whole world will convert to LDS if this is the reality.
Robert Sinclair wrote:Focus on those of need in your wards and branches... See to it they all have homes paid for with a covenant and a deed that cannot be broken as well as food and raiment sufficient for their needs and wants that are just... That you partake of the sacrament worthily each week, seeing the members are equal in their temporal things ...

inho
captain of 1,000

Post by inho »

We haven't have our training meeting yet. (Bishop has told that there are two videos, that we should watch in the ward council, but I didn't know that it would take four hours!) I heard from an area seventy that the ward council would be included in the planning of sacrament meetings. I guess this is a way to give women more opportunities to influence on what happens in the ward.

Robert Sinclair
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robert Sinclair »

Regina,

Sounds good, "The whole world will convert to LDS if this is the reality.", got to love the wisdom and understanding and intelligence of God. ♡ :)

Read the Doctrine and Covenants section 42:30. Yes read the entire Sections of 42,58,70. ♡

Therein is the commandment of a "Covenant and a Deed that cannot be broken".

Good to see you believe the whole world would be converted when Jesus Christ reigns upon the earth with his doctrine from God. ♡ :)

Good for the members of his true church to begin to follow his instructions, and his leaders to lead the way in doing that which he has commanded of them. ♡ :)

And to write laws and ordinances that comply with the will of God, yes, "Ordinances of Justice". ♡ :)

Both Ephraim and Judah, (Latter Day Saints and Jews if you will) are to do such in the land of promise together as one nation under God. (See Ezekiel 37:15-23) ♡ :)

Senator Orrin Hatch is a Latter Day Saint, and Senator Ron Wyden is a Jew, and both sit upon the Committee of the United States of America's Congress for drafting laws for the Congress to vote upon. Pray they draft and enact law that allow "Covenants and Deeds that cannot be broken" be given to the poor, as God has commanded.

That at least here in America we can be a light unto the world as to how to treat the poor that they will be poor no more, following the counsel given in the "One Stick" that will be in both their hands soon, if not already. ♡ :)

I would love to see how sacrament meetings will be conducted then. ♡ :)

Matchmaker
captain of 1,000

Post by Matchmaker »

jbalm wrote:Hopefully they will stop assigning talks that are just paraphrasing previous conference talks.

Some of the best talks I've heard lately are from the teenagers. They should have more of those.
In my opinion, Jbalm has received direct revelation on this subject. In our Ward we will no longer be paraphrasing conference talks for Sacrament Meeting. We will be assigned doctrinal topics to talk about.

Sirocco
Praise Me!

Post by Sirocco »

Regina wrote:Robert, this continual harping is insanity.
As you well know there is no such thing as a covenant and deed which cannot be broken.
Nor are LDS members entitled to have their homes paid for and all their needs and wants provided for, however just.
The whole world will convert to LDS if this is the reality.
Robert Sinclair wrote:Focus on those of need in your wards and branches... See to it they all have homes paid for with a covenant and a deed that cannot be broken as well as food and raiment sufficient for their needs and wants that are just... That you partake of the sacrament worthily each week, seeing the members are equal in their temporal things ...

Yeah but I imagine they'd make participation mandatory lol

But if the whole world was LDS but me, I'd stay not just so they couldn't say they had everyone... because I find humour in bizarre things.
Last edited by Sirocco on June 2nd, 2015, 7:35 am, edited 1 time in total.