Conference Talks: Do the Brethren employ speech writers?

For discussing the Church, Gospel of Jesus Christ, Mormonism, etc.
Daryl
captain of 1,000

Conference Talks: Do the Brethren employ speech writers?

Post by Daryl »

Do the Brethren employ speech writers?

Just wondering if anyone knows the answer to this. I was driving down the freeway today pondering the affairs of the kingdom of God and this thought popped in my head. I wonder if the LDS Brethren employ speech writers to write their conference talks.
Speechwriter
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A speechwriter is a person who is hired to prepare and write speeches that will be delivered by another person. Speechwriters are used by many senior-level elected officials and executives in the government and private sectors.

TannerG
captain of 100

Re: Conference Talks: Do the Brethren employ speech writers?

Post by TannerG »

I don't think so. I'm pretty sure they write their own addresses. Other formal and informal communications likely come from or through an employee. I know that was the case for the president of BYU-I.

Obrien
Up, up and away.

Post by Obrien »

I have no idea if they employ speechwriters. I have a hunch they do for a couple of reasons. 1 - their talks all seem very correlated, which implies correlation at least, speechwriters at most; 2 - the latest doctrinal statements put out by " the church" have no authorship, but they sound like conference talks, if you read then out loud in your favorite GAs voice. I think whoever is writing the statements also writes talks.
I suppose there are some of the newbie GAs that probably write their own, but I'm sure they are correlated before conference.

hyloglyph
captain of 1,000

Post by hyloglyph »

Just talking about this.

Yes, I'm pretty sure most do.

But not all

Royal blood used to rule England.

Now David Cameron does.

Obrien
Up, up and away.

Post by Obrien »

I can confirm one other interesting tidbit about conference. the sessions are pre-recorded approximately a week before actual conference. as the live feed is going during actual conference, they play the pre-recorded version along with it. if there were to be an interruption of any kind with the live feed, they switch right over to the recorded feed and the viewer at home would barely notice the change.
that was going on back in the early 90's, but has not changed according to my source. that was new to me when I first heard it in 91, maybe everyone knows by now.

hyloglyph
captain of 1,000

Post by hyloglyph »

Old men under bright lights

Speaking extemporaneously

To a huge, transglobal audience.

Is a PR person's worst nightmare.

This is why the firm that runs TCOJCOLDS has recommended that all speeches be written revised edited proof read for grammar checked for doctrinal infertillity etc by those departments that only answer to them.

After this, comes the process of coining and injecting buzz words, keywords for search engine optimization, and retweetable catch phrases into the manuscript.

Prerecord the speech because it cuts out a few variables, allows for great camera angles, and old men are not good with stage directions (stage left is actually right, smile but make it a stern smile etc) etc.

Thats all there is to it. Its actually a really organic process.

boo
captain of 1,000

Post by boo »

Absolutely. At least some do . I dated a girl for sometime who would write the 1st Presidency message each month. She would tell me ahead of time what it would be and ask for my ideas. I had some good ones which were adopted . Typically some of the senior brethren will sketch out general ideas etc then have someone else prepare a draft which they will review . Then the apostle will tell them how to modify it and then it gets put in final form. Then it is sent off to the correlation committee for approval and further polishing. While not all do this several do. All need to have it reviewed and approved. That is why they are so uniform ( and some would say boring) Can anyone really think that President Monson really researches including quotes from secular authors ,drafts. and polishes . the 3 or so talks he will give over 2 days of Conference all by himself. Get real. He is only human. No one with a busy schedule could do that much less an old man.
Last edited by boo on September 18th, 2014, 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rewcox
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by rewcox »

You guys are nuts and really like to sling rumors.

I went to the first Priesthood session in the conference center, it was live Obrien. I think too much electricity has hit your brain.

If someone writes Uchtdorf's talks, they should get a substantial raise!

Obrien
Up, up and away.

Post by Obrien »

sen6b wrote:Seriously? No.
yes, boo, there are people who believe what they want to believe. there are none so blind as those who will not see.

boo
captain of 1,000

Post by boo »

Sooo my girl friend was lying to me . She was an editor on the Ensign . And went to BYU law school .And the fact that occasionally I would see the things she and I discussed show up later in talks or in the Ensign was only an accident. She married the son of a general authority . I always thought she married down. Rewcox you really need to reexamine your paradigm.It isn't working too well.

rewcox
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by rewcox »

boo wrote:Sooo my girl friend was lying to me . She was an editor on the Ensign . And went to BYU law school .And the fact that occasionally I would see the things she and I discussed show up later in talks or in the Ensign was only an accident. She married the son of a general authority . I always thought she married down. Rewcox you really need to reexamine your paradigm.It isn't working too well.
Which strange road did you take? And using BYU law school doesn't help your case, DS went there too.

boo
captain of 1,000

Post by boo »

rewcox wrote:You guys are nuts and really like to sling rumors.

I went to the first Priesthood session in the conference center, it was live Obrien. I think too much electricity has hit your brain.

Sorry to tell you but thanks to your tithing they are probably already making more than you are. But I don't disagree they probably earn it.

rewcox
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by rewcox »

boo wrote:

Sorry to tell you but thanks to your tithing they are probably already making more than you are. But I don't disagree they probably earn it.
Have you decided yet? Any living waters in your area? Is a man made lake considered living?

boo
captain of 1,000

Post by boo »

rewcox wrote:
Which strange road did you take? And using BYU law school doesn't help your case, DS went there too.
I went to Columbia Law School. I would not go to BYU but it worked out for her , She snagged a GA's son after all who was also a lawyer. Incidentally tell me the truth do you not believe me ? Which part of my comment do you think is untrue. Please deal with the content . Ad hominem attacks are not worthy of you.
Last edited by boo on September 18th, 2014, 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hyloglyph
captain of 1,000

Post by hyloglyph »

boo wrote:

Idk boo

rewcox may be getting his share of the spoils too.

Have you heard of the multimillion dollar industry that is online image PR.

Big companies spend TONS of cash paying people to put out fires on blogs on forums and on social media

boo
captain of 1,000

Post by boo »

rewcox wrote:
boo wrote:

Have you decided yet? Any living waters in your area? Is a man made lake considered living?
I am waiting upon the Lord

boo
captain of 1,000

Post by boo »

hyloglyph wrote:
boo wrote: Sorry to tell you but thanks to your tithing they are probably already making more than you are. But I don't disagree they probably earn it.
Idk boo

Big companies spend TONS of cash paying people to put out fires on blogs on forums and on social media
Oh I prefer to not believe that . rewcox it isn't true is it ?

Obrien
Up, up and away.

Post by Obrien »

rewcox - maybe I wasn't clear. of course there is a live meeting for each session. the talks given are live. there is a pre-recorded feed of each talk that is made a week or two in advance of conference. this feed is played with the live session as a backup in case something disturbs the live session ( medical emergency, protest etc.) they can switch to the recording immediately if needed to keep the broadcast moving. people in the conference center would see what the disturbance is, but anyone watching a feed would not really know the difference. my source is one of my brothers, who helped record the pre-recorded version back in the 90's.

rewcox
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by rewcox »

boo wrote:
hyloglyph wrote:
boo wrote: Sorry to tell you but thanks to your tithing they are probably already making more than you are. But I don't disagree they probably earn it.
Idk boo

To be brutally honest, I watch y'all. If you had such a great deal, you wouldn't spend so much time ridiculing the church and the leaders. That tells me it isn't right. It also tells me y'all have a lot of fear doing this, since you are not sure. You have to go to a closed forum since you can't take critique.

If you ever start acting like disciples of Christ, then it would be worth paying attention.

DPeterson
captain of 100

Post by DPeterson »

Source?

hyloglyph
captain of 1,000

Post by hyloglyph »

boo wrote:
hyloglyph wrote:
Idk boo

Rewcox:
To be brutally honest, I watch y'all. If you had such a great deal, you wouldn't spend so much time ridiculing the church and the leaders. That tells me it isn't right. It also tells me y'all have a lot of fear doing this, since you are not sure. You have to go to a closed forum since you can't take critique.

If you ever start acting like disciples of Christ, then it would be worth paying attention.[/quote]

Wow

So... Thats a yes

boo
captain of 1,000

Post by boo »

sen6b wrote:
boo wrote:Sooo my girl friend was lying to me . She was an editor on the Ensign . And went to BYU law school .And the fact that occasionally I would see the things she and I discussed show up later in talks or in the Ensign was only an accident. She married the son of a general authority . I always thought she married down. Rewcox you really need to reexamine your paradigm.It isn't working too well.

How do we know you're not lying ;)
I am amazed . Why would I ? I tell my scouts as I presently serve as the scoutmaster not to lie . Why would I about such an inconsequential thing . As I sit reading the scriptures between veils in the temple or between patrons in initiatory ( I am an ordinance worker) I routinely read 2 nephi 9 :34. I am truly shocked that you would think anybody would be motivated to lie about this inane issue. Really I am.

DPeterson
captain of 100

Post by DPeterson »

sen6b wrote:
DPeterson wrote:
Source?
My common sense tells me so! !!!
Common sense isn't always enough, sometimes some facts are required (of which I don't have any in this situation...I'm just sayin'). ;)

Obrien
Up, up and away.

Post by Obrien »

boo wrote:
sen6b wrote:

How do we know you're not lying ;)
I am amazed . Why would I ? I tell my scouts as I presently serve as the scoutmaster not to lie . Why would I about such an inconsequential thing . As I sit reading the scriptures between veils in the temple or between patrons in initiatory ( I am an ordinance worker) I routinely read 2 nephi 9 :34. I am truly shocked that you would think anybody would be motivated to lie about this inane issue. Really I am.
boo - the little winky thing at the end of any statement, no matter how silly, uninformed or offensive it is, makes it all ok. communication is almost dead, no?

for what it's worth, Sen6b and rewcox may be the only people on the forum who question your honor and veracity.

FoxMammaWisdom
The Heretic

Post by FoxMammaWisdom »

rewcox wrote:
boo wrote:
hyloglyph wrote: Idk boo

If you ever start acting like disciples of Christ, then it would be worth paying attention.
Rewcox, this is totally unfair. This attack is baseless. You are categorizing everyone into your own criticism. Please show me where people are ridiculing the church and the leaders. (Disagreeing with them does not constitute ridicule, btw.)

Regarding fear, it sounds like this belongs to you.

The closed forum is so we can ensure productive discussion - not because we can't take critique. We constantly critique and pick apart DS, and all of our understandings of the Gospel - but we do it with love, and with respect for those who don't see the way we do - INCLUDING those in the HG area who do not subscribe to Denver's writings and beliefs. It's simply a "no contention zone".

Your attack accusing others of not acting like disciples of Christ is beneath you and just that - an attack.

I'm sorry that you feel the need to be bitter toward others on the forum lately. Others do not feel that way about you. I hope that the smoke will clear and we can all feel more comfortable with the fact that we disagree on some things. It's OK that we disagree on some things.