Priesthood

For discussing the Church, Gospel of Jesus Christ, Mormonism, etc.
Melissa
captain of 1,000

Priesthood

Post by Melissa »

I came across these two wordings today and wonder what the difference is.

What is the difference(s) between The Doctrine of the Priesthood and The Law of the Priesthood?

Melissa
captain of 1,000

Re: Priesthood

Post by Melissa »

Anyone on here know anything about this?

Simon
captain of 1,000

Post by Simon »

Just a guess.. Could the doctrine be the oath and the covenant, and the law the ordinances and commandments?

Need to ponder this more deeply.

Rick Grimes
captain of 100

Post by Rick Grimes »

Maybe this just semantics? Or perhaps a distinction without a difference? I will look into it further.

Melissa
captain of 1,000

Post by Melissa »

Thank you both.
It is something I ran across yesterday and am confused by it. It was stated as a difference but didn't define it.

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Post by marc »

What is the difference between "doctrine" and "law" regarding something? In other words, what is the definition of doctrine and what is the definition of law?

Simon
captain of 1,000

Post by Simon »

I think the doctrine of the priesthood could simply be the doctrine of Christ, or the oath and covenant, which is to receive Christ and the Father. The law is the way to fulfill the doctrine, or the way to come unto Christ by the commandments and the ordinances.

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Post by marc »

Simon wrote:I think the doctrine of the priesthood could simply be the doctrine of Christ, or the oath and covenant, which is to receive Christ and the Father. The law is the way to fulfill the doctrine, or the way to come unto Christ by the commandments and the ordinances.
Now we're getting somewhere. Alma 13 is a good chapter to study. Probably the perfect chapter for this discussion.

Simon
captain of 1,000

Post by Simon »

coachmarc wrote:
Simon wrote:I think the doctrine of the priesthood could simply be the doctrine of Christ, or the oath and covenant, which is to receive Christ and the Father. The law is the way to fulfill the doctrine, or the way to come unto Christ by the commandments and the ordinances.
Now we're getting somewhere. Alma 13 is a good chapter to study. Probably the perfect chapter for this discussion.
Alma 13 is one of the best on the priesthood anyways ;)

Another scripture I like in regards to Gods doctrine in general is:

John 7
16 Jesus answered them, and said, My doctrine is not mine, but his that sent me.

17 If any man will do his will, he shall know of the doctrine, whether it be of God, or whether I speak of myself.
If we do the will of the Father, we will not just know wether the doctrine is of God, but we finally will come to know God, which is life eternal. When we think of the priesthood, and of its oath and covenant, it is just excactly that, to receive, or to know Christ and the Father, for without the priesthood we can not see God in the flesh.

To me it is doctrine that once we fulfill the law of the oath and covenant, or its commandments and ordinances, that the mysteries of the knowledge of God shall be made manifest to us. Through the ordinances of the priesthood shall we see God in the flesh.

In the end I have to admit that doctrine, law and commandments often simply mean the same thing. But one difference I can see between them both is that a law can always be considered a doctrine, but a doctrine can not always be considered a law, but in some instances a doctrine is simply truth, knowledge e.t.c. ..

Just some thoughts :)

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Post by marc »

Doctrine is a belief system, a dogma, a system of teachings. Laws fall under the this system. Laws are part of the system. Doctrine is the system, which teaches us the laws. Fore example:
D&C 88:36 All kingdoms have a law given;

37 And there are many kingdoms; for there is no space in the which there is no kingdom; and there is no kingdom in which there is no space, either a greater or a lesser kingdom.

38 And unto every kingdom is given a law; and unto every law there are certain bounds also and conditions.

39 All beings who abide not in those conditions are not justified.
These are laws revealed to us, which are part of the doctrine of salvation.

SkyBird
captain of 100

Post by SkyBird »

Melissa wrote:I came across these two wordings today and wonder what the difference is.

What is the difference(s) between The Doctrine of the Priesthood and The Law of the Priesthood?
Melissa,

The "Doctrine of the Priesthood" comes from D&C 121... and it is describing the "attributes" of "righteousness," which all males and females have the potential to manifest in there lives. The "Doctrine of the Priesthood" is not a respecter of persons, therefore it works strictly on the principles of righteousness, potentially innate to all people! The "doctrine of the priesthood" will "distil upon" any "soul as the dews of heaven," who is willing to immerse themselves into the "attributes of righteousness."

The "law of the priesthood" comes from D&C 132: 58, 61 ... and it is always beholden to the "doctrine of the priesthood" in the end from a Celestial perspective. However it specifically (as has been said in this post) is a representation of the "ordinances and ceremonies" of the priesthood and relates to the ecclesiastical aspects of the physical Church. Its relationship is to the Telestial and Terrestrial mind set of its partakers.

Aloha