Mel Gibson's 'The Passion of the Christ'

For discussing the Church, Gospel of Jesus Christ, Mormonism, etc.
Valiance
captain of 100

Mel Gibson's 'The Passion of the Christ'

Post by Valiance »

Has anyone seen Mel Gibson's film from many years ago called 'The Passion of the Christ'? I happened to stumble upon a clip of a scene on You Tube the other day where he was being prepared for the scourging, but before the scourging started, he was beaten with batons and bruised severely all over his body - I was not aware of this aspect of his scourging. I could only watch about 1 minute of it because I literally got sick to my stomach watching this bare-skinned, defenseless, loving, caring man being beaten to a pulp and then shaking violently because of the blows and pain (and this was before he was to be scourged with those sadistic, evil Roman soldiers tearing the flesh off his back). I honestly do not know how any human being could do that to another, regardless of what the victim did - it's about as evil and barbaric and sick as humanly possible. If I would have been there 2,000 years ago watching that, I'd have wanted to go out and kill the soldiers doing it. I cannot even begin to imagine the pain he was experiencing. :( Those that have seen the whole film, how were you able to handle watching everything he endured? I understand the crucifixion scene where he is nailed to the cross was awful and very bloody with grim details shown.
Last edited by Valiance on February 7th, 2014, 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Re: Mel Gibson's 'The Passion of the Christ'

Post by marc »

I've seen it. I think I bought the DVD, too. I believe that what He suffered at the hands of the Romans, however severe, paled in comparison to what He suffered in Gethsemene.

Valiance
captain of 100

Post by Valiance »

coachmarc wrote:I've seen it. I think I bought the DVD, too. I believe that what He suffered at the hands of the Romans, however severe, paled in comparison to what He suffered in Gethsemene.
Agreed, however, what he experienced in Gethsemane was the emotional and mental anguish, although, he did bleed from every pore, so I guess it was both physical and emotional. I've heard experts say that an ordinary man would not have been able to endure what he did because the body can only handle so much pain and then it shuts down and you go unconscience. But Christ's did not. :( :( :(

FoxMammaWisdom
The Heretic

Post by FoxMammaWisdom »

Valiance wrote:Has anyone seen Mel Gibson's film from many years ago called 'The Passion of the Christ'? I happened to stumble upon a clip of a scene on You Tube the other day where he was being prepared for the scourging, but before the scourging started, he was beaten with batons and bruised severely all over his body - I was not aware of this aspect of his scourging. I could only watch about 1 minute of it because I literally got sick to my stomach watching this bare-skinned, defenseless, loving, caring man being beaten to a pulp and then shaking violently because of the blows and pain (and this was before he was to be scourged with those sadistic, evil Roman soldiers tearing the flesh off his back). I honestly do not know how any human being could do that to another, regardless of what the victim did - it's about as evil and barbaric and sick as humanly possible. If I would have been there 2,000 years ago watching that, I'd have wanted to go out and kill the soldiers doing it. I cannot even begin to imagine the pain he was experiencing. :( Those that have seen the whole film, how were you able to handle watching everything he endured? I understand the crucifixion scene where he is nailed to the cross was awful and very bloody with grim details shown.
Yes, I saw it. According to Denise Mendenhall, what they depicted in that film was not a 10th of what he actually suffered.

Jeremy
captain of 1,000

Post by Jeremy »

Valiance wrote:Those that have seen the whole film, how were you able to handle watching everything he endured?
Through tears of humility and gratitude. I desired to have "more understanding" of those events. A movie made by man pails in comparison to "seeing" the real thing. The movie almost seemed like a "gentle" way to understand a fraction more.

Be careful what you ask for.

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Post by marc »

It was well done with a slightly slanted point of view, but I believe Mel Gibson did a good job in being true to history, at least as true to the Bible as possible.

rewcox
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by rewcox »

In the bible, the scourging is one sentence. Isaiah said by His stripes we are healed.

I thought the movie climaxed at the scourging. Complete silence, then sobs from the audience for the rest of the movie. You were relieved at the crucifixtion for the suffereing to end.

uglypitbull
captain of 1,000

Post by uglypitbull »

I bought it.....I think this is why Mel Gibson is smashed by the media. Instead of ridiculing Christ, he makes the audience actually understand that Christ suffered. His other movies are about freedom....Braveheart and The Patriot are a few that come to mind.
Not sure what The Beaver was supposed to be....I ended up turning it off it was so boring.

TZONE
captain of 1,000

Post by TZONE »

I have felt I need to watch it a few days ago. Thanks for reminding me. Was all ready to but "got busy". ha.

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Post by marc »

The Jews deleted much of what was in the OT concerning the coming mortal Messiah. They missed Psalms, though.

13 They gaped upon me with their mouths, as a ravening and a roaring lion.

14 I am poured out like water, and all my bones are out of joint: my heart is like wax; it is melted in the midst of my bowels.

15 My strength is dried up like a potsherd; and my tongue cleaveth to my jaws; and thou hast brought me into the dust of death.

16 For dogs have compassed me: the assembly of the wicked have inclosed me: they pierced my hands and my feet.

17 I may tell all my bones: they look and stare upon me.

18 They part my garments among them, and cast lots upon my vesture.

TZONE
captain of 1,000

Post by TZONE »

Psalms 56:9 "This I know, God is For us"

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Post by marc »

What drops me to my knees and breaks my heart and my soul and yet causes me to exclaim, MY GOD, HOW GREAT THOU ART!, is the utter love and fortitude exemplified by my God and King in being able to consciously, soberly, wittingly, purposefully, and gracefully take each and every fist, slap, strike, spit, stripe, pierce, puncture, stab, slice and every imaginable stroke and gracefully take each and every one without giving in or letting His body expire so that He could find relief. He took it and took it and took it and took it and let every last person get his in and He took it all. He drank it down. He hung in there literally for six long hours and that was just on the cross alone. He endured to the bitter end and allowed all the pain until everyone had his fill. And even then until His Father withdrew to let Him endure alone. Completely alone. I cannot ever wrap my brain around it. I can only feel helpless and eternally grateful. Words fail me beyond this.

Rick Grimes
captain of 100

Post by Rick Grimes »

I saw the movie. Very powerful, at least in the sense of showing a taste of the suffering that He went through for all of us. It brings tears to my eyes even writing this. My love for Him is made complete when I ponder on the suffering He went through at Gethsemene and everything that led up to Golgotha.

bethany
captain of 100

Post by bethany »

the interviews with the actors are fascinating. one of the men who played the part beating Christ went into a room & curled up in a fetal position on the floor & sobbed after shooting the scene. there were a lot of silly statements made by lds people when the movie was made, so its nice to read all the positive comments. one stated how the lightning that struck Jim Caviezel on the cross was a sign from God that he did not approve of the movie. i had to shake my head on that deduction. Jim Caviezel was about to travel the world bearing testimony of Christ's sacrifice which was very moving, he paid his own price to comprehend what he was bearing witness of. he also caught one of those licks from the beating scene that missed the board (or was it 2 licks? don't remember) but he described how it knocked the breath out of him & took forever to recover. i took someone to see it that leads a rather promiscuous life & goes about his life without a care in the world, it was fascinating as i watched him cringe with every stripe as if he was being beaten. it shook him to the core. very powerful story, very touching & nothing like our scrubbed version 'The Lamb of God' which i do love. but it caused me to realize the depth of violence that Christ suffered. incomprehensible.

Thomas
captain of 1,000

Post by Thomas »

I thought the movie completely missed the mark. It focused on the physical suffering that was inflicted upon Christ by those who murdered him. Although it was very brutal and most likely even worse than what was depicted, it is hardly unique among mankind and is nothing noteworthy in of itself. Millions upon millions of people have suffered that much and worse. The Nazis tortured millions and performed cruel medical experiments upon them. some were tortured for years before they finally died. American prisoners of war, in Vietnam were brutally tortured, for years, many unto death. The Japanese army brutally tortured millions to death, in world war two. Hundreds of thousands of women were literally gang raped to death. I could give at least a dozen more examples of large numbers of people brutally tortured to death.

It is what happened at Gethsemane that made Christ unique. It is why we worship him. The movie didn't even address it at all.

FoxMammaWisdom
The Heretic

Post by FoxMammaWisdom »

Thomas wrote:I thought the movie completely missed the mark. It focused on the physical suffering that was inflicted upon Christ by those who murdered him. Although it was very brutal and most likely even worse than what was depicted, it is hardly unique among mankind and is nothing noteworthy in of itself. Millions upon millions of people have suffered that much and worse. The Nazis tortured millions and performed cruel medical experiments upon them. some were tortured for years before they finally died. American prisoners of war, in Vietnam were brutally tortured, for years, many unto death. The Japanese army brutally tortured millions to death, in world war two. Hundreds of thousands of women were literally gang raped to death. I could give at least a dozen more examples of large numbers of people brutally tortured to death.

It is what happened at Gethsemane that made Christ unique. It is why we worship him. The movie didn't even address it at all.
I agree with bethany, but I agree with this as well. But then how many LDS even "get" what happened in Gethsemane? I think considering it came from Hollywood, it was good. But if you compare it to reality, definitely missed the mark.

passionflower
captain of 1,000

Post by passionflower »

-delete-
Last edited by passionflower on November 6th, 2016, 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Post by marc »

passionflower wrote:Pilate ordered this beating. The reason for it was to arouse sympathy for Jesus from the Jews who sought his death. (by crucifiction!)
In other words, the beating was an attempt to save Jesus' life from this Jewish mob.
But Pilate is always seen as a weak willed villaim in this story, because Hollywood movies inspired by the Catholicism , have told it this way. Not because of the scriptural account.

Which is why I have not, and will not, bother to see this movie.

Apreciation of the atonement is shown by repentance for sin. And then walking a Godly life.
A valid assessment and reasonable conclusion. If the movie was written and produced by the LDS church, it might still miss the mark. We all have the same Bible, of which we only have 100th part of the things Jesus did. Such movies, though, for the masses are like scripture for some of us. They have some value and serve to help us keep Him in remembrance of His atonement.

bethany
captain of 100

Post by bethany »

I found that I had a lot of opportunity to discuss the atonement because of this. My son's friends were very opened after seeing it, & we sat for a long time discussing the need & purpose of the atonement. Even his atheist friend was overcome.