Romans 1 - Homosexual activity

For discussing the Church, Gospel of Jesus Christ, Mormonism, etc.
freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Re: Romans 1 - Homosexual activity

Post by freedomforall »

Franktalk wrote:
jwharton wrote: It is entirely possible, and I believe entirely necessary, that you kindly and sharply teach your daughter what God has commanded, in order to actually love her. Perpetuating lies to her will not help her.
You have failed to provide scripture which shows that we currently live under a law which makes homosexual acts a sin. Show me the scriptures and leave your personal opinion out.
Here are explicit teachings against homosexual behavior. These are not opinions in any way, shape or form.

Homosexual Behavior

Thou shalt not lie with mankind … it is abomination: Lev. 18:22 . ( Lev. 20:13 . )
22 Thou shalt not lie with mankind, as with womankind: it is abomination.
13 If a man also lie with mankind, as he lieth with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination: they shall surely be put to death; their blood shall be upon them.

men … burned in their lust one toward another: Rom. 1:27 .
27 And likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust one toward another; men with men working that which is unseemly, and receiving in themselves that recompence of their error which was meet

nor abusers of themselves with mankind: 1 Cor. 6:9 .
9 Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind,

them that defile themselves with mankind: 1 Tim. 1:10 .
10 For whoremongers, for them that defile themselves with mankind, for menstealers, for liars, for perjured persons, and if there be any other thing that is contrary to sound doctrine;

as Sodom and Gomorrha … going after strange flesh: Jude 1:7 .
7 Even as Sodom and Gomorrha, and the cities about them in like manner, giving themselves over to fornication, and going after strange flesh, are set forth for an example, suffering the vengeance of eternal fire.

See also:
Gen. 18:20
20 And the Lord said, Because the cry of Sodom and Gomorrah is great, and because their (b)sin (b - homosexual behavior) is very grievous;

2 Tim. 3:3,6
3 Without natural affection...,
6 women laden with sins, led away with divers lusts,

2 Pet. 2:10
10 But chiefly them that walk after the flesh in the lust of uncleanness....

2 Ne. 9:40
40 O, my beloved brethren, give ear to my words. Remember the greatness of the Holy One of Israel. Do not say that I have spoken hard things against you; for if ye do, ye will revile against the truth; for I have spoken the words of your Maker. I know that the words of truth are hard against all uncleanness; but the righteous fear them not, for they love the truth and are not shaken.

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

Franktalk wrote:
Alighieri wrote:Modern prophets have revealed that homosexuality is contrary to the nature of God.

End of Topic
When was this announced? Was it OK before that? Reference please.
Ever heard of unchastity? Sin? Abominations? Carnal acts? Anything not pleasing to God, perhaps?

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

Franktalk wrote:
Simon wrote:
Frank, since you say you have conversed with the Lord, why not talk to him about it? If you have received answers that satisfy you, then should that not be enough to calm your concerns? Or are you called to teach that doctrine to the world?
I am pointing out that unlike many laws given to man this one is filled with emotion and personal opinion. A simple request asking for scripture to support the highly charged opinions goes unanswered. I have seen some pretty basic laws researched and argued on this site. Reference after reference of scripture and lectures and journals splashed all over in support of scriptural interpretation. But ask for scriptural backup on this topic and one receives the type of comments made in the last 24 hours.

"You have already shown a strong bias and an unwillingness to respond to very sound and clear reasoning."

"No, it was never OK Frank, and you know it."

"Modern prophets have revealed that homosexuality is contrary to the nature of God."

Does it strike you as odd that this subject which is highly charged has so little backup in the scriptures? It seems to me to almost be some kind of spiritual blanket covering our spirits. Almost like God has:

Rom 1:28 And even as they did not like to retain God in their knowledge, God gave them over to a reprobate mind, to do those things which are not convenient;

If God gives a reprobate mind to some can He also give it to rest of us so we react the way He wishes? Can we all be in some kind of judgement so that we carry out His will against those He has placed in judgement? And if this is so then who exactly receives this reprobate mind? Can it be that those who God believes are still attached to the world? Who by their lips they speak of God yet in their heart they still worship nature? If indeed I am right it should be seen in reactions from both sides of this topic and there should be little in scripture which justifies the response.
I've provided plenty of scriptures. Now it's up to you to do with them as you wish. Just remember, God is more powerful than any opinion against His words.

SmallFarm
captain of 1,000

Post by SmallFarm »

Forgive me if I haven't read through his posts carefully enough (I do admit, I tend to scan read through longer posts), but it seems to me that Frank isn't saying that homosexuality isn't sin, but rather we shouldn't heap persecution on those already suffering condemnation. :-?

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

SmallFarm wrote:Forgive me if I haven't read through his posts carefully enough (I do admit, I tend to scan read through longer posts), but it seems to me that Frank isn't saying that homosexuality isn't sin, but rather we shouldn't heap persecution on those already suffering condemnation. :-?
The good news is that there is a way to get out of this condition, pray, repent, forsake sin and have sin remitted through the blood of the Lamb. And not go back. Fore if we allow that same sin to overcome us again the former sins return, if I read this correctly.

Doctrine and Covenants 82:7
7 And now, verily I say unto you, I, the Lord, will not lay any sin to your charge; go your ways and sin no more; but unto that soul who sinneth shall the former sins return, saith the Lord your God.

former:
Ps. 79:8;
Matt. 12:45 (43–45); 18:32–34;
D&C 1:33 (32–33); 58:43.

Proverbs 26:11
11 As a dog returneth to his vomit, so a fool returneth to his folly.

3 Nephi 7:8
8 And thus six years had not passed away since the more part of the people had turned from their righteousness, like the dog to his vomit, or like the sow to her wallowing in the mire.

2 Peter 2:22
22 But it is happened unto them according to the true proverb, The dog is turned to his own vomit again; and the sow that was washed to her wallowing in the mire.

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

Simon wrote:Is it your view that homosexuals should also marry in the temple? Or do you find it rather important that WE let them live their lives as they want?

Since you believe in MMP's, where do you think homosexuality comes from? Is it in your view natural and we just missed the point by declaring it as something evil?
Let's consider what God, Himself, says. NO UNCLEAN THING CAN INHERIT THE KINGDOM OF GOD. Just what does the word unclean suggest? Wouldn't it mean that God wants us clean, pure, perfected in Christ (Moroni 10:32,33), lowly in heart, as a little child, loving, meek, having a broken heart and contrite spirit, walking in holiness, and undefiled? Where does any sin (stain) fit into the "be ye therefore clean" as acceptable?

Who here would like Christ to say to you "Behold, your sins are forgiven you; you are clean before me; therefore, lift up your heads and rejoice"? D&C 110:5

Franktalk
captain of 1,000

Post by Franktalk »

SmallFarm wrote:Forgive me if I haven't read through his posts carefully enough (I do admit, I tend to scan read through longer posts), but it seems to me that Frank isn't saying that homosexuality isn't sin, but rather we shouldn't heap persecution on those already suffering condemnation. :-?
Not so much sinful but a natural behavior that does limit us as we move closer to the spiritual walk. What I find most disturbing in how some who are just as guilty in natural behavior have zeroed in on homosexual behavior. They are hypocrites of the first order. I would venture to say that if Jesus would come to the earth he would call most heterosexuals hypocrites because of their stance on gays yet will openly lust after the opposite sex while married. If the eye wanders you are indeed guilty of adultery. And by the way it also applies to homosexuals who wander outside of their love filled relationship.

I am not saying I am pure I assure you I am not. But the road to repentance is started by realizing one has a problem.

Franktalk
captain of 1,000

Post by Franktalk »

braingrunt wrote:I did not mean to imply that I was not guilty under the law like everyone else. I was merely attempting to answer your question as to whether homosexuality is a sin, or prohibited. By those scriptures and others, the answer appears to me to be yes.
Thank you for your efforts. The more modern translations tend to use language that did not even exist when Christ walked the earth. This is a most difficult subject and I do appreciate the scriptural references.

SmallFarm
captain of 1,000

Post by SmallFarm »

Franktalk wrote:
Not so much sinful but a natural behavior that does limit us as we move closer to the spiritual walk.
But isn't that (what keeps us from God) sin? .

Franktalk
captain of 1,000

Post by Franktalk »

SmallFarm wrote:
Franktalk wrote:
Not so much sinful but a natural behavior that does limit us as we move closer to the spiritual walk.
But isn't that (what keeps us from God) sin? .
Not in my mind. The larger issue is the ability to cast off the world. But I know of no one who has cast off the world completely. Sin happens because we are weak in this flesh. We repent and are forgiven. If we don't cast off the world even the scriptures will not open for us and we can't even understand God's messages for us. So if we mostly cast off the world but retain some lust in the natural world we can at least move forward. Sin is not the big stumbling block. It is the embracing of the natural man that is the big one. But knowing that we are not perfect God starts to unlock the scriptures when He sees progress. So a homosexual is in the same boat as a heterosexual. A partial casting off of the world gets you started and as each makes progress each will make changes in their behavior. I see no real difference between the two. When both walk with Christ they will both be way different than the day they started.

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

Franktalk wrote:
Not so much sinful but a natural behavior that does limit us as we move closer to the spiritual walk. What I find most disturbing in how some who are just as guilty in natural behavior have zeroed in on homosexual behavior. They are hypocrites of the first order. I would venture to say that if Jesus would come to the earth he would call most heterosexuals hypocrites because of their stance on gays yet will openly lust after the opposite sex while married. If the eye wanders you are indeed guilty of adultery. And by the way it also applies to homosexuals who wander outside of their love filled relationship.

I am not saying I am pure I assure you I am not. But the road to repentance is started by realizing one has a problem.
Oh, now this statement truly gets you off doesn't it? By not accepting truth just throw it back into everyone's faces and call it hypocrisy.

hypocrite = a person who pretends to be what he is not.

Are you saying that for those who quoted you scriptures, scriptures you asked for...showing how homosexual behavior is abominable before God are now hypocrites?
Why isn't something like this not to be expected?

Just what do most heterosexuals think about gays, Frank? I for one said to love the sinner but hate the sin, and I don't think most, at least members of the church, say to hate the sinner. Of course, by not reading posts, I can understand how you can blanket everybody into the same mold. It just isn't true.
While in the military, I knew there were guys who went out and looked for what they called "queers" and would beat the crap out of them. I thought these animals were cruel and unjust and had no real good reason for beating up gays. On the other hand, I wasn't going to mingle with them either, fore we are told to avoid the appearance of sin. So I didn't mingle with the guys from the barracks nor the gays. Christ may have met some of them during his ministry, and I doubt He treated them like a plague.

I can't say the BSA hasn't crossed the line, however. How can a "gay" boy be morally straight? How can a "gay" scout leader keep morally minded? This is where one may find hypocrites, saying one thing and desiring another. It's a tough call.
Last edited by freedomforall on February 8th, 2014, 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jwharton
captain of 1,000

Post by jwharton »

Franktalk wrote:Not in my mind. The larger issue is the ability to cast off the world. But I know of no one who has cast off the world completely. Sin happens because we are weak in this flesh. We repent and are forgiven. If we don't cast off the world even the scriptures will not open for us and we can't even understand God's messages for us. So if we mostly cast off the world but retain some lust in the natural world we can at least move forward. Sin is not the big stumbling block. It is the embracing of the natural man that is the big one. But knowing that we are not perfect God starts to unlock the scriptures when He sees progress. So a homosexual is in the same boat as a heterosexual. A partial casting off of the world gets you started and as each makes progress each will make changes in their behavior. I see no real difference between the two. When both walk with Christ they will both be way different than the day they started.
Casting off sin is THE issue.
If your eye isn't single to the glory of God then your reactionary posture towards the world is completely without purpose.
We are to define our actions as best we can, in all humility, to the standard that God asks of us, regardless of the world thinks.
Sin is defined as that which is contrary to God's will, which is contrary to what is in everyone's best mutual interest.
Remember, the law and the prophets have been precision engineered to deliver the utmost ideal of the Golden Rule principles.

What I continue to see in your posts is a careful protection and rationalization of your daughter's deviant sexual identification of herself. Nobody here is asking you to be mean or hateful to her, but if you put her before the Father then you are doing both you and her a disservice.

ElectLady
captain of 100

Post by ElectLady »

Simon wrote:Two men can love eachother as Christ loves any man or women, but this has nothing to do with physical being attrakted to eachother.. And homosexuality is about being physicaly attrakted to eachother, you cant be homosexual and not feel lust for another men. .
I believe you can be homosexual in identity and remain a member in good standing, and that you can temper attractions. I'm hetero, and I have absolutely tempered any improper attraction toward men. If I felt otherwise, I'd have some repenting to do just as anyone else. Why couldn't someone with SSA do the same? Attraction =/= lust, IMHO.

Elizabeth
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Elizabeth »

http://www.mormonnewsroom.org/article/m ... january-12" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"some news reports have given the impression that the Church has changed its stance on same-sex attraction. We caution reporters and readers to remember that the Church’s position on the issue of same-sex attraction has not changed. The Church’s doctrinal position is clear and unchanging: Sexual activity should occur only between a man and a woman who are married. The Church teaches that same-sex attraction is not a sin, but acting on it is." Acting on it, of course includes thoughts and thinking. Thoughts may come uninvited, not acting on same-sex attraction includes dismissing such thoughts, not dwelling upon them, and not defining oneself on them.

Franktalk
captain of 1,000

Post by Franktalk »

jwharton wrote: Casting off sin is THE issue.
If your eye isn't single to the glory of God then your reactionary posture towards the world is completely without purpose.
We are to define our actions as best we can, in all humility, to the standard that God asks of us, regardless of the world thinks.
Sin is defined as that which is contrary to God's will, which is contrary to what is in everyone's best mutual interest.
Remember, the law and the prophets have been precision engineered to deliver the utmost ideal of the Golden Rule principles.

What I continue to see in your posts is a careful protection and rationalization of your daughter's deviant sexual identification of herself. Nobody here is asking you to be mean or hateful to her, but if you put her before the Father then you are doing both you and her a disservice.

Please give me a list of your friends and relatives so I can also make personal comments about the people you love. After all fair is fair. It is best to talk in general terms about issues. Calling someone's daughter deviant can cause you problems.

As to being able to understand the scriptures.

1Co_2:14 But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.

So as I said the scriptures open to those who cast off the world and begin their spiritual walk. Where is sin in this statement?

No one stands between the Father and me. You on the other hand probably have at least 15 people.

You obviously have not read many of my posts. I am not careful. Many of my posts are like being hit with a hammer.

SmallFarm
captain of 1,000

Post by SmallFarm »

Janadele1 wrote:http://www.mormonnewsroom.org/article/m ... january-12
"some news reports have given the impression that the Church has changed its stance on same-sex attraction. We caution reporters and readers to remember that the Church’s position on the issue of same-sex attraction has not changed. The Church’s doctrinal position is clear and unchanging: Sexual activity should occur only between a man and a woman who are married. The Church teaches that same-sex attraction is not a sin, but acting on it is." Acting on it, of course includes thoughts and thinking. Thoughts may come uninvited, not acting on same-sex attraction includes dismissing such thoughts, not dwelling upon them, and not defining oneself on them.
What it comes down to, in my opinion is that while we cannot choose what adversity we will fall under; we can choose our actions and who we want to be.

Franktalk
captain of 1,000

Post by Franktalk »

Janadele1 wrote:http://www.mormonnewsroom.org/article/m ... january-12
Please tell me how this positional statement follows the words of Christ?

Mat 5:27 Ye have heard that it was said by them of old time, Thou shalt not commit adultery:
Mat 5:28 But I say unto you, That whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart.

If someone lust after another it is the same as the act. Wake up.

I will follow Christ.

jwharton
captain of 1,000

Post by jwharton »

Franktalk wrote:
jwharton wrote: Casting off sin is THE issue.

Please give me a list of your friends and relatives so I can also make personal comments about the people you love. After all fair is fair. It is best to talk in general terms about issues. Calling someone's daughter deviant can cause you problems.

As to being able to understand the scriptures.

1Co_2:14 But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.

So as I said the scriptures open to those who cast off the world and begin their spiritual walk. Where is sin in this statement?

No one stands between the Father and me. You on the other hand probably have at least 15 people.

You obviously have not read many of my posts. I am not careful. Many of my posts are like being hit with a hammer.
I have read your posts.
I offered what I offered for your consideration.
You are free to look and see if there is value in it for you or not.
I rested my case on having provided sufficient scripture and now I rest my case concerning your spirit in the matter.

Simon
captain of 1,000

Post by Simon »

Despite what humanity, weak religion and false judgement have added, or taken away from the issue of homosexuality, the question remains how we are to handle the topic by itselfe? This is how I personally handle it.

Taking the act by itselfe, I consider it a sin..
Taking actual people on board, I know I have not the least right to think about them as sinners, not the least..

The problem is..no matter how kindly I put that into words though, it will always feel to that person as a severe judgement. It is like saying "I love you, but hate who you are? It is your fault that you are born that way.

The real questions is, what would the Lord do? How would he act?

Lets find out just that, and come unto him.

Elizabeth
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Elizabeth »

Simon... no one is "born that way".

Simon
captain of 1,000

Post by Simon »

Janadele1 wrote:Simon... no one is "born that way".
That may be right, but to them it feels just that way. To them it is just as natural as it is to us to feel hetero. They have done nothing wrong in their childhood. It just is a tendency that is within them...

So I guess this is what I ment by "they are born this way"... Its less about "when" this tendency manifests, but rather that it just comes seemingly natural to them.

Franktalk
captain of 1,000

Post by Franktalk »

Simon wrote: That may be right, but to them it feels just that way. To them it is just as natural as it is to us to feel hetero. They have done nothing wrong in their childhood. It just is a tendency that is within them...

So I guess this is what I meant by "they are born this way"... Its less about "when" this tendency manifests, but rather that it just comes seemingly natural to them.
We are all born with natural tendencies. It is being born of the flesh. So by scriptural definition we are all burdened with natural traits like appearance or physical abilities. Some are born with physical limits and defects. On top of this we are born into social, economic, and political environments. All of which are outside of our control. An accident of birth some may say. So all of us can say we were born this way.

So for someone to deny the physical world in others is to ignore the Creators plan using the flesh and the world. It is also denying the environment of composite opposites we absolutely need so we can experience the light and the darkness, love and hate, and all of the choices we must make. So not only is it natural for some to have physical traits due to the accident of birth but the spread of the traits is God ordained and matches His plan for this world. While some are born into wealth which is a real test of the spirit some are born into poverty which is a much easier path in a spiritual sense.

The weak and humble among us are obviously favored by God. They are open to spiritual possibilities whereas the elites of the world embrace their position and are more likely to make their own temporal rules for themselves. They think themselves as wise. So the rich and powerful and those who claim superiority in any matter of temporal existence are least likely to be favored by God. Jesus sits at the table of sinners. Those who refuse to sit at the table of sinners also refuse to sit with Jesus. It is like this, what we do to the least among us we do to Christ. Those who cast out are cast out. Those who judge are themselves judged in like manner.

But the elites among us will raise their nose high into the air and stare straight ahead because their stiff neck won't allow their head to turn to any other path but the one which makes them feel good. All the while walking on the backs of others.

Franktalk
captain of 1,000

Post by Franktalk »

We are all sinners. Some of us have sin that sits on the surface for all to see while others have their sin cloaked and hidden from view. So why is it that some feel justified in casting out those who can't hide their sin? I refuse to consider that open sin is in some way worse than the sin which is hidden. When Jesus was surrounded by people wishing to stone a woman He asked a simple question. Who among you is without sin? Let him cast the first stone. I too can not cast the first stone. Yet I see many who are filled with sin willing to cast stones at every opportunity. And who does Jesus stand with? The sinner being judged. So when we cast a stone at the sinner we cast a stone at Christ.

The spiritual path is not in the least a temporal path. Those who embrace the temporal path will reject the things of God because they do not discern that they come from God.

Rick Grimes
captain of 100

Post by Rick Grimes »

Frank, you are absolutely correct in pointing out that it would be hypocritical of us to condemn homosexuals for their sins, when we ourselves are sinners. (Beam/mote in the eye...)

That being said, I believe that those here are trying to state, that acting on homosexuality or any other sinful act is still a sin. No matter hoe we dress it up, all of these vices are still sin and should be turned away from.

To do anything less than this, is to willingly embrace with sinful behaviour.

Franktalk
captain of 1,000

Post by Franktalk »

Rick Grimes wrote:Frank, you are absolutely correct in pointing out that it would be hypocritical of us to condemn homosexuals for their sins, when we ourselves are sinners. (Beam/mote in the eye...)

That being said, I believe that those here are trying to state, that acting on homosexuality or any other sinful act is still a sin. No matter hoe we dress it up, all of these vices are still sin and should be turned away from.

To do anything less than this, is to willingly embrace with sinful behaviour.
No no no, a thousand times no. We are to walk as Jesus walked. Jesus walked to the sinners He never walked away from a sinner with an open heart. He did however walk away from church leaders many times. Yes we shun evil but evil is not the person before us. The person before us consist of a body of flesh and a spirit inside. A war is being played out in each of us. We can not help a person at war by walking away from them. We can not help a person at war with their members by closing the door to them.

Did Jesus at any time refuse to forgive a person who was seeking forgiveness? And how many of those who had their sins removed sin again? And would Jesus refuse to forgive a second time, a third, a forth?

Mat 18:21 Then came Peter to him, and said, Lord, how oft shall my brother sin against me, and I forgive him? till seven times?
Mat 18:22 Jesus saith unto him, I say not unto thee, Until seven times: but, Until seventy times seven.

Seventy times seven is another way of saying until sin is no more.

Now there are wolves among us that are not at war with their members. They have a dark heart. These are the people Jesus walked away from. Read the scriptures and see who Jesus walked from. You may be quite surprised.