Heavenly Mother

For discussing the Church, Gospel of Jesus Christ, Mormonism, etc.
SHELLWHITING
Hi, I'm new.

Heavenly Mother

Post by SHELLWHITING »

I was wondering what peoples opinions of the Heavenly Mother is? I recently did a painting series about her http://shellwhiting.blogspot.com/2014/01/blog-post.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. I didn't learn about her till I was 20 years old on the bus by an ex-mormon. What is your opinion about her? Why is she so mysterious in the church? Even though there really isn't a doctrine about her what can be said about her?

Thanks

jwharton
captain of 1,000

Re: Heavenly Mother

Post by jwharton »

Very good question!

In my opinion, Eve is my Heavenly Mother.

Adam called Eve "the mother of all living" and so to me that is who I consider Her to be.

SHELLWHITING
Hi, I'm new.

Post by SHELLWHITING »

That's an interesting perspective I didn't think about.

Melissa
captain of 1,000

Post by Melissa »

It was a talk that I cannot remember at this moment, that mentioned to women that it will only take one glance at our heavenly Mothers face to know of our true worth as women.

We have a spirit mother just like we have a spirit father. I personally do not consider Eve to be that person.

Options are that She is protected from people insulting her and another option is there is more than one mother for all spirit children. I'm sure there are many more options.

heartsongs
captain of 100

Post by heartsongs »

The way our Father in Heaven's children mock and trash him, can you imagine if all knew they had a Heavenly Mother what they might say to that? I believe that we don't really hear about her to awful much as our Father in Heaven must really love her an awful lot, and truly seeks to protect her from such disgraceful and disrespectful things like how his children say and do regarding Him. As for me, I am thankful that he protects her so. I would hate to see her degraded in such a manner. It is bad enough that folks do this toward the Savior and our Father in Heaven.

I think that we are taught enough regarding her at this stage (of course that is just my opinion.) We are taught that this world was created after the likeness of where we came from. We have a Mother and Father here with siblings and friends, cousins, aunts, uncles, grandparents etc...I am sure that it is the same there. We are born into family units here. So must it have been there. As mothers, we love our children with all of our "imperfect" hearts here. Our Heavenly Mother with her "perfect" heart loves us more than we could ever know as well. We teach our children a multitude of things because we want them to be able to be the best people they can be, I am sure our Heavenly Mother did the same for us. We spend time with our parents here on earth, I am sure we did the same thing there. And, truly the list continues.

:)

Jeremy
captain of 1,000

Post by Jeremy »

*this is quoted from a separate thread. I hope it applies.
Jeremy wrote:I have the feeling my wife would be agonized if I ever "protected" her "memory" by hiding her or discouraging her children from speaking of their mother. She would recognize that though some would speak evil of her and treat her badly, her children who don't know of her because she was "protected" would be harmed so much more.

Can you comprehend the pain and suffering that has resulted by hiding our Mother? What comfort it must be to some little girl who knows she has a Mother there. And not just little girls. All of us.

I don't mean to be rude and indeed that is not the spirit I am feeling right now. I do feel saddened though that for years I have echoed this idea that SHE has been protected and how very wise it was of Heavenly Father. Now, I just don't believe that is the case. What mother doesn't want her children to communicate with her, remember her name and desire to embrace? Not a mother I want. In fact, not a heavenly mother I have. The Heavenly Mother I know desires her children to know her.

Sure She is sacred...but so is her son. We think she is okay with her son being treated like trash...but she hides under the umbrella of sanctity? Nope. Any mother worth having is worth remembering and speaking of. If someone has a problem with that, they don't know her.

lemuel
Operating Thetan

Post by lemuel »

jwharton wrote:Very good question!

Adam called Eve "the mother of all living" and so to me that is who I consider Her to be.
The Eve-Goddess theory! Brigham's wives would be proud.

jwharton
captain of 1,000

Post by jwharton »

I also have numerous mothers who are (presumably) in heaven.
For example, both of my grandmothers have already passed on and all 4 of my great-grandmothers have passed on.
We all have several mothers in heaven.

jwharton
captain of 1,000

Post by jwharton »

lemuel wrote:

The Eve-Goddess theory! Brigham's wives would be proud.
I guess Brigham Young did at one time say "Adam is our Father and our God", which by implication would make the corollary: "Eve is our Mother and our God".

Glad you mentioned this because I hadn't really thought to connect those two.

The question then becomes: How on earth (literally) can you place Adam and Eve as our Heavenly Parents?

That's possible to do, but I'm not sure this thread (and for that matter a public setting) is where such a discussion should occur.

Joel
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Joel »

In Denise Mendenhall's book In His Arms she describes meeting Heavenly Mother and gives beautiful details about her. This is one of my all time favorite books.

iamse7en
captain of 1,000

Post by iamse7en »

I tell you more, Adam is the father of our spirits ... our spirits and the spirits of all the heavenly family were begotten by Adam, and born of Eve. ... I tell you, when you see your Father in the Heavens, you will see Adam; when you see your Mother that bore your spirit, you will see Mother Eve. (Manuscript Addresses of Brigham Young, Oct. 8, 1854)
Quite obvious in my mind.

jwharton
captain of 1,000

Post by jwharton »

iamse7en wrote:

I tell you more, Adam is the father of our spirits ... our spirits and the spirits of all the heavenly family were begotten by Adam, and born of Eve. ... I tell you, when you see your Father in the Heavens, you will see Adam; when you see your Mother that bore your spirit, you will see Mother Eve. (Manuscript Addresses of Brigham Young, Oct. 8, 1854)
Quite obvious in my mind.
The next step is to see Adam and Eve in the flesh right now in our midst. How would that be?

Rick Grimes
captain of 100

Post by Rick Grimes »

I think we have a lot of Heavenly Mothers.(wives of Elohim) We only have one Heavenly Father though, much easier to keep things straight with Him.

bethany
captain of 100

Post by bethany »

Some interesting things....

I heard of a group of women who believe they have been instructed by the Spirit to celebrate Mother in Heaven... They have unique characteristics & are mixed in their religious backgrounds.

I was discussing some of there characteristics when the person I was speaking w informed me of a different group far away & completely separate from the first group without mingling in any way... Have many similar characteristics. Too many to be a coincidence.

Ian Clayton who has been discussed on here speaks of the spirit of Wisdom... Over a yr ago he was speaking on Wisdom when an lds friend approached him after & suggested that Wisdom is Mother in Heaven. A yr later a mutual friend heard him speak & he was openly stating that Wisdom is the wife of God the Father & Mother of Jesus. He had quite a bit to say of Mother.

I am aware of a few other groups who converse freely of Mother in Heaven. There is an awful lot of conversation going on out there... Very respectfully I would add.

Rick Grimes
captain of 100

Post by Rick Grimes »

bethany wrote:Some interesting things....

I heard of a group of women who believe they have been instructed by the Spirit to celebrate Mother in Heaven... They have unique characteristics & are mixed in their religious backgrounds.

I was discussing some of there characteristics when the person I was speaking w informed me of a different group far away & completely separate from the first group without mingling in any way... Have many similar characteristics. Too many to be a coincidence.

Ian Clayton who has been discussed on here speaks of the spirit of Wisdom... Over a yr ago he was speaking on Wisdom when an lds friend approached him after & suggested that Wisdom is Mother in Heaven. A yr later a mutual friend heard him speak & he was openly stating that Wisdom is the wife of God the Father & Mother of Jesus. He had quite a bit to say of Mother.

I am aware of a few other groups who converse freely of Mother in Heaven. There is an awful lot of conversation going on out there... Very respectfully I would add.

This is a very slippery slope here......

Alot of heretical factions/cults have arrisen in the past that were based on "celebrating" (i.e. worshipping/praying) to Heavenly Mother or the divine feminen. They teach that somehow, we are "missing" something when we only can rely on a males' love, even if He happens to be the Father of us all.

Futhermore, there is no commandment or admonition from prophet, scripture, or Christ that instructs us to worship or pray to a Heavenly Mother. One needs to be especially careful not to fall into a movement that is a diversion from the worship of our Father in Heaven and His Christ.

bethany
captain of 100

Post by bethany »

In the lds church reading scripture, praying, & actually hearing the voice of God or even being visited by Jesus Christ is a slippery slope. ;)

bethany
captain of 100

Post by bethany »

I once had a very sacred experience involving Jesus Christ. It was in response to 2 years of fasting & praying about my fathers cancer. Naively I shared it with my SP because he was a friend.... I was asking for guidance on alternatives that would fix the problem & was given specific instructions. So I was so excited that I pulled him aside & shared it w him. He strongly encouraged me to leave his fate to the medical doctors. Then proceeded to tell me how often his wife got wrong inspiration. Well, I followed Christ cause I always do & my fathers life extended 6 yrs following a 2nd diagnosis of lung cancer. He only had 3 months had he gone the medical route. The problem with Mormons is they only speak theoretically or scholastically about divine revelation. Btw, none of these groups are mine. I don't much like groups, but I cannot deny the common threads that are coming through as I read of them. My advice to all is learn to know the truth & let no one 'scare' you into unknowing it.

A Random Phrase
Follower of Christ
Location: Staring at my computer, not sure whether to laugh or cry.

Post by A Random Phrase »

SHELLWHITING wrote:I was wondering what peoples opinions of the Heavenly Mother is? I recently did a painting series about her http://shellwhiting.blogspot.com/2014/01/blog-post.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. I didn't learn about her till I was 20 years old on the bus by an ex-mormon. What is your opinion about her? Why is she so mysterious in the church? Even though there really isn't a doctrine about her what can be said about her?

Thanks
Margaret Barker, a Methodist minister, gives some interesting insights in this speech:

Margaret has studied Old Testament times in great depth.

Also, I have heard that when you see the word "wisdom" in the scriptures to pay close attention because it may be referring to heavenly Mother (He is "knowledge" and She is "wisdom").

The bottom line seems to be that we know nothing about her because people refuse to know. When she is taught, the people erase what was written about her (listen to the video, above, to understand this comment). More often than not it has been considered heresy or apostasy to know anything about her (if her existence is acknowledged at all).

Rick Grimes
captain of 100

Post by Rick Grimes »

No, not heresy, but it CAN be a diversion to lose sight of what is most important. I wouldn't read too much into an interpretation that states that God is limited to knowledge while one of His wives is the wise one. That sounds like a philosophy of man, mingled with scripture. :-?

bethany
captain of 100

Post by bethany »

Thanks RandomPhrase, I meant to add Barker to my list. There is a huge conversation going on abt Mother... Just not so much among the lds.

A Random Phrase
Follower of Christ

Rick Grimes wrote:No, not heresy, but it CAN be a diversion to lose sight of what is most important. I wouldn't read too much into an interpretation that states that God is limited to knowledge while one of His wives is the wise one. That sounds like a philosophy of man, mingled with scripture. :-?
True, it is not heresy among the LDS. The heresy and apostasy views come from outside the church. I think it only becomes suspect among LDS folks if one desires to pray to her.

I don't think the person was limiting anyone. I think they meant to to say to pay attention when the scriptures talk about wisdom if one wants to learn anything about Her. I don't quite understand what they meant when they used the words. I got the impression it was a title or name or something. It seems obvious to me that heavenly Father has ultimate knowledge as well as ultimate wisdom.

A Random Phrase
Follower of Christ

bethany wrote:Thanks RandomPhrase, I meant to add Barker to my list. There is a huge conversation going on abt Mother... Just not so much among the lds.
I didn't realize this. Among whom? What I mean is, is it confined to certain religions, the pagans, others?

bethany
captain of 100

Post by bethany »

Non denominationals, lds.... Not familiar w any pagan groups, there r groups that some would align with new age, but that would not be the right reference, & at the moment I wouldn't know how to explain their philosophy, they r Christ centered.

lemuel
Operating Thetan

Post by lemuel »

I'll throw out an opinion out--

Some say that we don't know much about the Mother because people would blaspheme Her. I don't buy that. She's a God; she can handle a little blasphemy.

I was just thinking knowledge of Heavenly Mother + some people's strong belief in polygamy = some horrible speculation in the 1800s, for example, someone might say that white people are from the #1 Mother, and all the other races are from the eternal concubines. :ymsick:

bethany
captain of 100

Post by bethany »

It is not that Mother in Heaven cannot handle blasphemy, it is that mankind cannot handle the repercussions when they speak against her. There is a thing called karma... Whether lds hate that word or not, if u send out love, you will receive love, etc. send out hate, you reap hate. That which you sow, so shall you reap. Send hate to the one who loves you most purely.... It comes back to you.