The Polluted Holy Church Mormon Chapter 8

For discussing the Church, Gospel of Jesus Christ, Mormonism, etc.
jwharton
captain of 1,000

Re: The Polluted Holy Church Mormon Chapter 8

Post by jwharton »

rewcox wrote:
jwharton wrote:
rewcox wrote:
jwharton wrote: This is an example of how idol worship enters in.
Not for TBMs. We have faith in Christ. Christ leads His church, and provides revelation/inspiration for guidance. If an Apostle passes away, Christ lets His Prophet ponder who should replace the apostle, and takes that to Christ for approval.

Since Christ approves these things, we are not voting for those called, but we will sustain those called in their callings.

GAS is correct, if our own ideas/opinions conflict with Christ's leaders, then we should change our course.

Of recent years, we have seen exactly this scenario and people leaving the church. Many have said Christ told them to. Watch and wait.
This isn't what it says in the scriptures at all.
We are taught if the "eye" of the body offend, it is better to pluck it out.
There are provisions to pluck out leaders on all levels in the Church.
We have responsibility to participate in this if the need should arise.

What you are saying here is based on an assumption that abdicates away this responsibility God gave to us.
When you shun responsibilities that are rightly yours, you can expect the associated rights to also become lost.

The SPIRIT of what you are advocating for here is exactly what Lucifer needs to implement his system of tyranny.
The ability is there if we need it. Remember, Christ is there also. Relax and enjoy life.
You aren't making much sense here....
And, if you knew what I knew, you would find it difficult to relax.

I can and have found peace for myself as I have been comforted of the Lord.
But, when I consider the fate of others who are ignorant and slothful and idolatrous, my heart weeps.
Do you really want me to relax when people I love are heading straight to Perdition?

rewcox
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by rewcox »

jwharton wrote:
rewcox wrote:
There is only one pathway of safety for me in this day and that is to follow those whom the Lord has appointed to lead. I may have my own ideas and opinions, I may set up my own judgment with reference to things, but I know that when my judgment conflicts with the teachings of those that the Lord has given to us to point the way, I should change my course. If I desire salvation I will follow the leaders that our Heavenly Father has given to us, as long as he sustains them.11
George Albert Smith
You are conflating all kinds of stuff, making a tl;dr which is just confusing>

Simply:
- Christ chooses His leaders.
- If a leader goes astray:
- Other apostles / GAs can do first validation and take steps.
- Stake Presidents / Bishops can do second validation and take steps.
- Members can do third validation and take steps.

The Spirit guides, so we are good.

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

jwharton wrote:
Mark wrote:If we are caught up in condemning and complaining and throwing out self righteous judgments upon the church leaders or the church in general for perceived weaknesses of the flesh we have not experienced that mighty change of heart for ourselves and need to repent and heal ourselves first. D&C 121 is our guide. Any other way comes from the powers of darkness.
This is carefully worded in such a way that of course someone should agree with it.

But, it is entirely appropriate for people to make righteous judgment in regard to not only our own individual actions but also for the actions we as a member of a covenant collective also bear responsibility for.

There is a reason we are asked to sustain or object in our general assemblies. We are asked to judge and all of us are to do so to the best of our ability. If any have sincere grievances it is not an act of self-righteousness to petition for redress of those grievances.

So, please, while I sense you mean well, we do have a responsibility to participate as a member of the body and make our voice heard and we need to sincerely listen to the voices of others of our brothers and sisters who should also be heard by us.

If we do not come together and become One then we are not of the Lord and we are not worthy of His divine protection.
This is twisted logic, just like the Adam-God doctrine.
Don't be fooled by fundamentalist views folks. We went through this same old crap months ago. Now we're back at it. Only some names have changed.
Where in scripture are we told we can find as many wrong doings of church leaders as possible and then go to them and tell them where they go wrong? This is the same thing as a child throwing a hissy fit.

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

jwharton wrote:
rewcox wrote:
jwharton wrote:
rewcox wrote:
Not for TBMs. We have faith in Christ. Christ leads His church, and provides revelation/inspiration for guidance. If an Apostle passes away, Christ lets His Prophet ponder who should replace the apostle, and takes that to Christ for approval.

Since Christ approves these things, we are not voting for those called, but we will sustain those called in their callings.

GAS is correct, if our own ideas/opinions conflict with Christ's leaders, then we should change our course.

Of recent years, we have seen exactly this scenario and people leaving the church. Many have said Christ told them to. Watch and wait.

What you are saying here is based on an assumption that abdicates away this responsibility God gave to us.
When you shun responsibilities that are rightly yours, you can expect the associated rights to also become lost.

The SPIRIT of what you are advocating for here is exactly what Lucifer needs to implement his system of tyranny.
The ability is there if we need it. Remember, Christ is there also. Relax and enjoy life.
You aren't making much sense here....
And, if you knew what I knew, you would find it difficult to relax.

I can and have found peace for myself as I have been comforted of the Lord.
But, when I consider the fate of others who are ignorant and slothful and idolatrous, my heart weeps.
Do you really want me to relax when people I love are heading straight to Perdition?
Yup, this does sound mighty familiar. Another hook to get people to hear and accept doctrine other than what Christ teaches because someone on this forum knows so darn much. This same tactic has been used ad nauseam. But if we all are going to perdition for not listening to an internet preacher that has been proven to be teaching much false doctrine then I suppose we'll all, including the preacher, meet up there, huh?

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

jwharton wrote:
rewcox wrote:
jwharton wrote:
rewcox wrote:
This is an example of how idol worship enters in.

This is not talking about an external eye; it is one's own eye. Such twisted doctrine being used to advocate contention and the mocking of leaders is only geared to deceive people.

Don't be fooled folks.

Let's see what scripture actually tells us.
Mark 9:47
47 And if thine eye offend thee, pluck it out: it is better for thee to enter into the kingdom of God with one eye, than having two eyes to be cast into hell fire:

People can't be saved in ignorance either. It is best to read scripture in its true context, right?

jwharton
captain of 1,000

Post by jwharton »

freedomforall wrote:
jwharton wrote:
Mark wrote:If we are caught up in condemning and complaining and throwing out self righteous judgments upon the church leaders or the church in general for perceived weaknesses of the flesh we have not experienced that mighty change of heart for ourselves and need to repent and heal ourselves first. D&C 121 is our guide. Any other way comes from the powers of darkness.
This is carefully worded in such a way that of course someone should agree with it.

But, it is entirely appropriate for people to make righteous judgment in regard to not only our own individual actions but also for the actions we as a member of a covenant collective also bear responsibility for.

There is a reason we are asked to sustain or object in our general assemblies. We are asked to judge and all of us are to do so to the best of our ability. If any have sincere grievances it is not an act of self-righteousness to petition for redress of those grievances.

So, please, while I sense you mean well, we do have a responsibility to participate as a member of the body and make our voice heard and we need to sincerely listen to the voices of others of our brothers and sisters who should also be heard by us.

If we do not come together and become One then we are not of the Lord and we are not worthy of His divine protection.
This is twisted logic, just like the Adam-God doctrine.
Why do you render judgment with nothing more than "because I say so" to support it?
freedomforall wrote:Don't be fooled by fundamentalist views folks. We went through this same old crap months ago. Now we're back at it. Only some names have changed.
Oohhhh... the "f"-word... We wouldn't want to hold to the fundamentals of the Father's Plan, right?
That could be scary... We wouldn't want to actually demonstrate to the Father we are loyal to Him now would we?
freedomforall wrote:Where in scripture are we told we can find as many wrong doings of church leaders as possible and then go to them and tell them where they go wrong?
D&C 107:82-84 indicates a controversy can be raised up against even the President of the Church.
And, there are provisions for a trial to be had and the President can be removed from his place.
Also, not to mention, we are asked if we oppose any church officers, for a good and sincere reason.
The whole purpose of this is to knit us together as a body of sovereigns who are all co-accountable.
The Celestial Order of things makes everyone equally responsible, not just the leaders only.
Thus, the very nature of "the programme" makes it impossible for the leaders to lead the people astray.
If things do go astray, and they have, it is just as much the people's fault, if not more, than the leader's fault.
freedomforall wrote:This is the same thing as a child throwing a hissy fit.
A great example of a child throwing a hissy fit is your post I am responding to.

jwharton
captain of 1,000

Post by jwharton »

freedomforall wrote:Yup, this does sound mighty familiar. Another hook to get people to hear and accept doctrine other than what Christ teaches because someone on this forum knows so darn much. This same tactic has been used ad nauseam. But if we all are going to perdition for not listening to an internet preacher that has been proven to be teaching much false doctrine then I suppose we'll all, including the preacher, meet up there, huh?
And what about the tactic you are using in this post?
No substance to support your attempt to assassinate someone's character.
The same could be said back to you as well. What makes you so special?

We know that we covenant to build up the Father's Kingdom, which can only be Celestial.
We know those who oppose the Father by fighting His Kingdom lose in the end.
We know Lucifer is a wolf in sheep's attire and that he deceives many.
We know those who follow Lucifer do end up going to Perdition, same as Cain.
We know Lucifer was subtly undermining and doing away with individual agency.

You consistently are a cheerleader for "just follow the brethren", which is a Luciferian doctrine.

So, you go right ahead and keep being the internet preacher for "just follow the brethren" and affront people's agency to your heart's content. I know where that train is heading and I got off that train of false doctrine. Once I did, and I sincerely sought the further light and knowledge the Father promised to send, He was graceful and merciful with me because I simply wanted His will with a heart as pure as I could muster.

I don't ask that anyone just take my word for anything I am saying here.
I welcome respectful rebuttal to whatever things I put forward because I want to learn.

What I don't appreciate is when people arrogantly mock and rend me as you are here.

jwharton
captain of 1,000

Post by jwharton »

freedomforall wrote:
jwharton wrote:
rewcox wrote:
jwharton wrote: This is an example of how idol worship enters in.

Freedomforall said:
This is not talking about an external eye; it is one's own eye. Such twisted doctrine being used to advocate contention and the mocking of leaders is only geared to deceive people.

Don't be fooled folks.

Let's see what scripture actually tells us.
Mark 9:47
47 And if thine eye offend thee, pluck it out: it is better for thee to enter into the kingdom of God with one eye, than having two eyes to be cast into hell fire:

jwharton said:

People can't be saved in ignorance either. It is best to read scripture in its true context, right?
I don't like how you are inserting comments inside my posts.
It makes it unclear as to who said what.
Please do a better job to respect the readers so they know who is talking.

Of course people can't be saved in ignorance.
Nor can anyone be exalted by riding the coattails of anyone else, including your file leaders.
All shall be proven out in all things whether they are true and faithful regardless of circumstances.
The TEST we are facing isn't how great of a minion we are willing to be for some file leader.
Our TEST is how well have we written the FATHER'S plan in our heart's and if we hold true to IT.
This includes rejecting the philosophies of men mingled with scripture and the precepts of men.
This requires us to eventually have the Father reveal to us His true character and nature.
This happens as we endure all manner of persecution and trials from those who rage against His Plan.
We go through a phase where Cain usurps and takes over and wars against what is just and true.
We are subjected to him advancing his counterfeit plan that he thinks is superior to the Celestial.
So, whether you think I'm a fool worthy to be mocked or not, at least hold true to the Celestial Law.

And, also, while we are at it....

This is the JST rendering of Mark 9
44 Therefore, let every man stand or fall, by himself, and not for another; or not trusting another.
45 Seek unto my Father, and it shall be done in that very moment what ye shall ask, if ye ask in faith, believing that ye shall receive.
46 And if thine eye which seeth for thee, him that is appointed to watch over thee to show thee light, become a transgressor and offend thee, pluck him out.

This reference can be applied to the President of the Church as well as any other officer in the Church.

So, everyone reading this, please understand freedomforall was trying to fool you to believe false doctrine.
The JST clearly makes it known that Jesus was teaching the people to be willing to throw out a leader who transgresses and offends.
Last edited by jwharton on February 3rd, 2017, 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rewcox
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by rewcox »

jwharton wrote:This is the JST rendering of Mark 9
44 Therefore, let every man stand or fall, by himself, and not for another; or not trusting another.
45 Seek unto my Father, and it shall be done in that very moment what ye shall ask, if ye ask in faith, believing that ye shall receive.
46 And if thine eye which seeth for thee, him that is appointed to watch over thee to show thee light, become a transgressor and offend thee, pluck him out.

This reference can be applied to the President of the Church as well as any other officer in the Church.

So, everyone reading this, please understand freedomforall was trying to fool you to believe false doctrine.
The JST clearly makes it known that Jesus was teaching the people to be willing to throw out a leader who offends.
Who do you want to pluck out?

jwharton
captain of 1,000

Post by jwharton »

rewcox wrote:

The JST clearly makes it known that Jesus was teaching the people to be willing to throw out a leader who offends.
All members and leaders who have contempt for the Father's Celestial Laws and Principles and who refuses to repent of opposing them.
Put another way, all who are tares.

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

jwharton wrote:So, everyone reading this, please understand freedomforall was trying to fool you to believe false doctrine.
Yup, a quote right out of scripture sure is false, isn't it? Says a lot about clarity and understanding. For clarity and less confusion you would have provided the source.
It wasn't I that didn't provide a source, it was you. I went back and read JST Mark 9 and found the verse you referred to but failed to provide the source for, so pat yourself on the back all you want.
So now you have taken upon yourself the role of policing Church Headquarters because they're all headed for perdition. Makes sense now; it's all too clear.

Sarah
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Sarah »

jwharton wrote:
rewcox wrote:

All members and leaders who have contempt for the Father's Celestial Laws and Principles and who refuses to repent of opposing them.
What are you trying to persuade the saints to do?

Do you claim to know how to determine which of our leaders or individual saints are the tares? With as much info. we have now about the early history of the Church, and the fact that we perform plural marriages in the temples, we should conclude that the majority of all active saints accept the doctrine to some degree. How do we know what the prayers of our leaders are in this matter? It seems that you assume to know the will of the Lord for his entire Church - that he really wants all his flock to be crying day and night to be able to live this practice of plurality of wives. The news of it brought Joseph and Brigham to the point of preferring death, and you say there is something wrong with everyone not petitioning the Lord for allowing them to make this sacrifice?

I won't say most, because I really don't know, but I would say many saints desire to do whatever it takes to reach the Celestial Kingdom, and if that involves making the sacrifice to practice a plurality of wives, they would do it and obey. But to ask for those sacrifices - you can go ahead. The Lord knows when the best time is for each individual to be given this law, and I'm not going to counsel Him nor His servants. I can say, thy will O Lord, be done.

jwharton
captain of 1,000

Post by jwharton »

freedomforall wrote:
jwharton wrote:So, everyone reading this, please understand freedomforall was trying to fool you to believe false doctrine.
Yup, a quote right out of scripture sure is false, isn't it? Says a lot about clarity and understanding. For clarity and less confusion you would have provided the source.
It wasn't I that didn't provide a source, it was you. I went back and read JST Mark 9 and found the verse you referred to but failed to provide the source for, so pat yourself on the back all you want.
So now you have taken upon yourself the role of policing Church Headquarters because they're all headed for perdition. Makes sense now; it's all too clear.
Is all I am concerned about is the membership recognize the entire Church body, as a Celeatial Order, has provisions of law that makes everyone in the union co-accountable and that there are means and ways for wayward leaders to be held to account to the body if in any manner they become transgressors. If they become a transgressor and the body does nothing about it and sustains it then everyone shoulder's the blame, not just the wayward leader. It is in this manner that it is impossible for the leaders to lead the people astray because God makes all responsible and none exempt. This is why the procedure to sustain or oppose is in the Church.

This principle of the Celestial Order isn't for the members to be immature and frivolous and to use these mechanisms to manipulate, etc. leaders they want to try and coerce to do this or that. The system of due process only holds them accountable for going contrary to the oracles of God and their duties spelled out in the oracles of God. And, if by chance the Church President is found to have been a transgressor in some manner, removing him is really no big deal. Any worthy high priest can take his place and carry on.

You might also want to review the entire section 107 of the D&C where this is fairly clearly alluded to, in addition to saying that simply not performing ones duty is sufficient cause to deem them unworthy to stand. So, for example, if our Church President isn't being "like unto Moses" then a trial could be had over him and he could be removed.

Let's go with a potentially valid example. In the 1880 oracle receive by Wilford Woodruff that was ratified by the First Presidency and the Quorum of the 12 as valid for doctrine and guidance, etc. it is said clearly that all means should be employed to lobby the powers of the nation (Pharaoh) so that all of the tenets of the Celestial Patriarchal Order would be upheld as Constitutional and within the right of the Saints to render the offering the Father calls for them to make. And, it further gives a blanket warning to all who hinder the faithful in being able to keep this provision of the Celestial Patriarchal Order. This is an oracle from the Lord that is binding even now. So, it is actually the responsibility of our Church President to go into the courts of Pharaoh and to seek for the laws to be changed so that we can keep the fullness of the Gospel. If he is not doing this, as the oracles of the Lord charge the leaders of the Church to do, then he can indeed be deemed in transgression of what the oracles command. Thus, for being in opposition to what the oracle says he should do, he should be removed from his place. But, so long as the people are ignorant of this oracle or they believe this oracle to be false, the entire body remains under condemnation together for opposing the Lord.

This begs the question, why does the Church lobby to keep plural marriage a punishable felony in the State of Utah?

jwharton
captain of 1,000

Post by jwharton »

Sarah wrote:
jwharton wrote:
rewcox wrote:

To have strict fidelity to the written oracles of God and to rectify all points upon which condemnation yet hangs over us for.
To have sufficient spiritual maturity to engage in an adult conversation that has an eye single to the glory of God.
To have sufficient humility to consider the possibility we have become usurped by Lucifer in many ways and to purge it all.
To be willing to be hated by the world again if it turns out we will need to repent of concessions we have made to please it.
To cease and desist with the false doctrine that we just have to do whatever the Church Presidency tells us to do.
To wake up and recognize just how awful of a situation we truly are in and to revive our commitment to the Father's Kingdom.
Sarah wrote:Do you claim to know how to determine which of our leaders or individual saints are the tares?
I do not claim to be any kind of a sole authority people should look to, if that is what you are asking.
I believe the answers are all available to solve our current problems in the scriptures as we now have them.

I do believe some of the information the Lord has given me will be of assistance in helping people understand things better.
But, I wouldn't want anyone ever getting to the mindset that they support this or that because so-an-so says so.
We all must learn and grow together and to have strict fidelity to what the Lord's oracles command of us.
It isn't just our right, but it is our responsibility, to hold the officers above us accountable to have this fidelity.
Sarah wrote:With as much info. we have now about the early history of the Church, and the fact that we perform plural marriages in the temples, we should conclude that the majority of all active saints accept the doctrine to some degree. How do we know what the prayers of our leaders are in this matter? It seems that you assume to know the will of the Lord for his entire Church - that he really wants all his flock to be crying day and night to be able to live this practice of plurality of wives.
I do not operate on assumption and I certainly don't want any kind of "because I say so" mentality.
I operate from clear simple knowledge that comes directly from oracles of the Lord.
I would only want someone to walk in the steps I have walked and look at what I have looked at.
Then, they would be able to see and determine for themselves if the oracles say what I say they say.
The authority is vested in the Word of the Lord that has been given as a law unto the Church.
Sarah wrote:The news of it brought Joseph and Brigham to the point of preferring death, and you say there is something wrong with everyone not petitioning the Lord for allowing them to make this sacrifice?
I think they just knew what the world's reaction to it would be.
I highly doubt they were resistant to the good this doctrine is intended to accomplish.
And, when it is done correctly, it is a blessing and benefit to all involved.
I have ancestors who lived it very happily and who understood it well.
Sarah wrote:I won't say most, because I really don't know, but I would say many saints desire to do whatever it takes to reach the Celestial Kingdom, and if that involves making the sacrifice to practice a plurality of wives, they would do it and obey. But to ask for those sacrifices - you can go ahead. The Lord knows when the best time is for each individual to be given this law, and I'm not going to counsel Him nor His servants. I can say, thy will O Lord, be done.
I think you are misunderstanding me in part. I only advocate that people seek for it to have a respected and lawful place in society for those very few who the Lord calls to live it. I believe only a very small percentage of people will ever be called to live it. I am wholeheartedly opposed to it ever being something that men or women aggressively seek out and try to make happen. Monogamy should remain the norm as it is a reflection of the near 50/50 ratio of men and women in the population.

Of an immediate necessity is for the sake of widows and their deceased sealed husbands, these widows should be allowed to be received as a plural wife so that they can be joined to a good, noble and worthy husband while that husband is also allowed to be married to another woman to whom he can also be sealed for time and eternity.

As it is right now, widows and their deceased husbands are getting the shaft. This is exactly the reason stated in Mormon chapter 8 that has the sword of vengeance hanging over us because we are denying them the provision of law that protects their interests. Government welfare and single parenthood or being married to a man willing to not be sealed to you and to not have his own eternal posterity is a grievous condition that could easily be rectified if the Church would just lobby for widows or divorcees to be received as a plural wife as per God's Law. And, I am talking about levirate marriage law here.
Last edited by jwharton on February 3rd, 2017, 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

jwharton wrote:This begs the question, why does the Church lobby to keep plural marriage a punishable felony in the State of Utah?
Simple:

Doctrine and Covenants 56:4
4 Wherefore I, the Lord, command and revoke, as it seemeth me good; and all this to be answered upon the heads of the rebellious, saith the Lord.

Are you among the rebellious wanting polygamy?

AI2.0
captain of 1,000

Post by AI2.0 »

Mark wrote:
jwharton wrote:Sad to see this thread didn't keep going.
This is a subject of vital importance.

It is but not in the way many here might suppose. I would just implore anyone who wants to understand what the Lord expects of his Saints in these latter days to read and then reread John Pontius wonderful book "Following the light of Christ into His Presence".

John does such a wonderful job in explaining the principles of becoming a Saint by experiencing the rebirth process in their lives through strictly obeying the promptings we receive from the Holy Ghost. Any condemnation from the Lord rests upon those who choose to submit instead to the natural man tendencies and ignore those promptings of light and truth given us thru the light of Christ and the Holy Ghosts constant companionship.

Blaming anyone except the man or women in the mirror for any perceived levels of condemnation upon the church is so shortsighted and misses the mark completely imo. Once we become a new creature in Christ and gain the Lords total confidence of perfectly obeying his still small voice in all situations He then bestows upon us all the needed gifts of the Spirit and we remove any condemnation upon our own heads.

This is a very individual process and it happens one Saint at a time. No group think mentality or feeble excuses or outward blame games in all this. We then seek with love and charity to help our brothers and sisters around us thru kindness and long suffering to see the marvelous opportunities of forsaking babylons pull and coming unto Christ with full purpose of heart by obedience to His voice he constantly is whispersing in our hearts and minds. We then grow in light and truth until the mysteries of heaven are unfolded unto us.

If we are caught up in condemning and complaining and throwing out self righteous judgments upon the church leaders or the church in general for perceived weaknesses of the flesh we have not experienced that mighty change of heart for ourselves and need to repent and heal ourselves first. D&C 121 is our guide. Any other way comes from the powers of darkness.
Spot on. I'm presently reading John Pontius' book "Journey to the Veil' and appreciated his emphasis on strict obedience to the promptings of the holy ghost, this has helped me think more about my own life.

You've made some Excellent points. Thank you.

AI2.0
captain of 1,000

Post by AI2.0 »

jwharton wrote:
rewcox wrote:
There is only one pathway of safety for me in this day and that is to follow those whom the Lord has appointed to lead. I may have my own ideas and opinions, I may set up my own judgment with reference to things, but I know that when my judgment conflicts with the teachings of those that the Lord has given to us to point the way, I should change my course. If I desire salvation I will follow the leaders that our Heavenly Father has given to us, as long as he sustains them.11
George Albert Smith

And your comment is evidence that you want to follow your own way and an excuse to not heed the counsel of the Lord's appointed Prophet.

jwharton
captain of 1,000

Post by jwharton »

AI2.0 wrote:I'm presently reading John Pontius' book "Journey to the Veil' and appreciated his emphasis on strict obedience to the promptings of the holy ghost...
There are many spirits out there who prompt us that may or may not be the Holy Ghost.
So, I would add as a precursor to "strict obedience to spiritual promptings" that you also put in the effort to make sure you are in tune with the Holy Ghost rather than just any spirit.
The manner in which people become spiritually born and receive the Holy Ghost is they receive the words of truth.
First and foremost, this is the written oracles of God.
So, in order to have strict obedience to the promptings of the Holy Ghost, we must have our spiritual birth from legitimate parentage.

The Lord warns a time will come when many will speak of all of their great works and miracles performed in the Lord's name, but he will tell them to depart from Him because they were workers of iniquity. Surely they believed they were also having strict obedience to the Holy Ghost in these works they believed were so marvelous. But, what did the Lord say? He said "I knew ye not", meaning He considered them of different spiritual parentage than Himself.

There are many today who are being born again unto the spirit of Lucifer and who are putting aside the oracles of the Lord and who are more attuned to the precepts of men and the traditions of their fathers that the adversary plants as tares among us. Are we truly rooted in good soil and is our spiritual birth truly of the Lord that is firmly atop the foundation of strict obedience and fidelity to the written oracles of God?

If this can be assured as your foundation and spiritual parentage, then I do believe strict obedience to the promptings of the Holy Ghost will be the promptings you are receiving.

jwharton
captain of 1,000

Post by jwharton »

AI2.0 wrote:
jwharton wrote:
rewcox wrote:
George Albert Smith
And your comment is evidence that you want to follow your own way and an excuse to not heed the counsel of the Lord's appointed Prophet.
No, I want all of us, including myself, to give strict heed to the written oracles of the Lord, to which any successors are bound.
If our Church President goes contrary to the oracles of God and his duty, the Lord holds us responsible to raise up a controversy and have him tried.

I have no idea how you derive me just wanting to be a law unto myself out of that.

What you don't recognize is you are wanting all of us to cooperate so that our leaders could be a law unto themselves.
But, the oracles and the laws of the Church found therein, expressly establish that our leaders cannot be a law unto themselves.
The only way they could be is if members yield up to them their agency and deem them beyond reproach and not to be questioned.
Time and time again I get flack for simply pointing out just principles of the Celestial Order that makes all responsible and none exempt.

Why is this such a difficult principle for people to see?

Can't you see you are resisting sound principles here?

Edit: Please be sure to read my other post where I clarify how GAS is 100% correct, but that people are going to be prone to misinterpret it.

AI2.0
captain of 1,000

Post by AI2.0 »

jwharton wrote:
Sarah wrote:
jwharton wrote:
rewcox wrote:
To have strict fidelity to the written oracles of God and to rectify all points upon which condemnation yet hangs over us for.
To have sufficient spiritual maturity to engage in an adult conversation that has an eye single to the glory of God.
To have sufficient humility to consider the possibility we have become usurped by Lucifer in many ways and to purge it all.
To be willing to be hated by the world again if it turns out we will need to repent of concessions we have made to please it.
To cease and desist with the false doctrine that we just have to do whatever the Church Presidency tells us to do.
To wake up and recognize just how awful of a situation we truly are in and to revive our commitment to the Father's Kingdom.
Sarah wrote:Do you claim to know how to determine which of our leaders or individual saints are the tares?
I do not claim to be any kind of a sole authority people should look to, if that is what you are asking.
I believe the answers are all available to solve our current problems in the scriptures as we now have them.

I do believe some of the information the Lord has given me will be of assistance in helping people understand things better.
But, I wouldn't want anyone ever getting to the mindset that they support this or that because so-an-so says so.
We all must learn and grow together and to have strict fidelity to what the Lord's oracles command of us.
It isn't just our right, but it is our responsibility, to hold the officers above us accountable to have this fidelity.
Sarah wrote:With as much info. we have now about the early history of the Church, and the fact that we perform plural marriages in the temples, we should conclude that the majority of all active saints accept the doctrine to some degree. How do we know what the prayers of our leaders are in this matter? It seems that you assume to know the will of the Lord for his entire Church - that he really wants all his flock to be crying day and night to be able to live this practice of plurality of wives.
I do not operate on assumption and I certainly don't want any kind of "because I say so" mentality.
I operate from clear simple knowledge that comes directly from oracles of the Lord.
I would only want someone to walk in the steps I have walked and look at what I have looked at.
Then, they would be able to see and determine for themselves if the oracles say what I say they say.
The authority is vested in the Word of the Lord that has been given as a law unto the Church.
Sarah wrote:The news of it brought Joseph and Brigham to the point of preferring death, and you say there is something wrong with everyone not petitioning the Lord for allowing them to make this sacrifice?
I think they just knew what the world's reaction to it would be.
I highly doubt they were resistant to the good this doctrine is intended to accomplish.
And, when it is done correctly, it is a blessing and benefit to all involved.
I have ancestors who lived it very happily and who understood it well.
Sarah wrote:I won't say most, because I really don't know, but I would say many saints desire to do whatever it takes to reach the Celestial Kingdom, and if that involves making the sacrifice to practice a plurality of wives, they would do it and obey. But to ask for those sacrifices - you can go ahead. The Lord knows when the best time is for each individual to be given this law, and I'm not going to counsel Him nor His servants. I can say, thy will O Lord, be done.
I think you are misunderstanding me in part. I only advocate that people seek for it to have a respected and lawful place in society for those very few who the Lord calls to live it. I believe only a very small percentage of people will ever be called to live it. I am wholeheartedly opposed to it ever being something that men or women aggressively seek out and try to make happen. Monogamy should remain the norm as it is a reflection of the near 50/50 ratio of men and women in the population.

Of an immediate necessity is for the sake of widows and their deceased sealed husbands, these widows should be allowed to be received as a plural wife so that they can be joined to a good, noble and worthy husband while that husband is also allowed to be married to another woman to whom he can also be sealed for time and eternity.

As it is right now, widows and their deceased husbands are getting the shaft. This is exactly the reason stated in Mormon chapter 8 that has the sword of vengeance hanging over us because we are denying them the provision of law that protects their interests. Government welfare and single parenthood or being married to a man willing to not be sealed to you and to not have his own eternal posterity is a grievous condition that could easily be rectified if the Church would just lobby for widows or divorcees to be received as a plural wife as per God's Law. And, I am talking about levirate marriage law here.
Why are widows and their deceased husbands getting the shaft ?
How do you propose to fix this problem?

Let me guess...you want men to polygamously marry 'widows' and have children with them, correct?

So, is this the big pollution in the church? The problem is that the church forbids polygamy? Is that your complaint? Is that why you condemn our church leaders? Is that why you know more than everyone else, because you believe the LDS church, should be practicing polygamy?

Have you received some sort of spiritual witness that the LDS church is condemned because it is not practicing polygamy?

AI2.0
captain of 1,000

Post by AI2.0 »

jwharton wrote:
AI2.0 wrote:I'm presently reading John Pontius' book "Journey to the Veil' and appreciated his emphasis on strict obedience to the promptings of the holy ghost...
There are many spirits out there who prompt us that may or may not be the Holy Ghost.
So, I would add as a precursor to "strict obedience to spiritual promptings" that you also put in the effort to make sure you are in tune with the Holy Ghost rather than just any spirit.
The manner in which people become spiritually born and receive the Holy Ghost is they receive the words of truth.
First and foremost, this is the written oracles of God.
So, in order to have strict obedience to the promptings of the Holy Ghost, we must have our spiritual birth from legitimate parentage.

The Lord warns a time will come when many will speak of all of their great works and miracles performed in the Lord's name, but he will tell them to depart from Him because they were workers of iniquity. Surely they believed they were also having strict obedience to the Holy Ghost in these works they believed were so marvelous. But, what did the Lord say? He said "I knew ye not", meaning He considered them of different spiritual parentage than Himself.

There are many today who are being born again unto the spirit of Lucifer and who are putting aside the oracles of the Lord and who are more attuned to the precepts of men and the traditions of their fathers that the adversary plants as tares among us. Are we truly rooted in good soil and is our spiritual birth truly of the Lord that is firmly atop the foundation of strict obedience and fidelity to the written oracles of God?

If this can be assured as your foundation and spiritual parentage, then I do believe strict obedience to the promptings of the Holy Ghost will be the promptings you are receiving.
Moroni 7;

Wherefore, all things which are good cometh of God; and that which is evil cometh of the devil; for the devil is an enemy unto God, and fighteth against him continually, and inviteth and enticeth to sin, and to do that which is evil continually.

13 But behold, that which is of God inviteth and enticeth to do good continually; wherefore, every thing which inviteth and enticeth to do good, and to love God, and to serve him, is inspired of God.

14 Wherefore, take heed, my beloved brethren, that ye do not judge that which is evil to be of God, or that which is good and of God to be of the devil.

15 For behold, my brethren, it is given unto you to judge, that ye may know good from evil; and the way to judge is as plain, that ye may know with a perfect knowledge, as the daylight is from the dark night.

16 For behold, the Spirit of Christ is given to every man, that he may know good from evil; wherefore, I show unto you the way to judge; for every thing which inviteth to do good, and to persuade to believe in Christ, is sent forth by the power and gift of Christ; wherefore ye may know with a perfect knowledge it is of God.

17 But whatsoever thing persuadeth men to do evil, and believe not in Christ, and deny him, and serve not God, then ye may know with a perfect knowledge it is of the devil; for after this manner doth the devil work, for he persuadeth no man to do good, no, not one; neither do his angels; neither do they who subject themselves unto him.

18 And now, my brethren, seeing that ye know the light by which ye may judge, which light is the light of Christ, see that ye do not judge wrongfully; for with that same judgment which ye judge ye shall also be judged.

19 Wherefore, I beseech of you, brethren, that ye should search diligently in the light of Christ that ye may know good from evil; and if ye will lay hold upon every good thing, and condemn it not, ye certainly will be a child of Christ.

jwharton
captain of 1,000

Post by jwharton »

AI2.0 wrote:Why are widows and their deceased husbands getting the shaft ?
Most people don't think it through and really look at the big picture of what is happening.
And, many who do, just throw up their hands and say "we don't need to worry about it because it will all be fixed in the Millennium".
They fail to realize that we are supposed to be building up the very kingdom that is able to fix all of these problems here and now.
AI2.0 wrote:How do you propose to fix this problem?
A significant part of the problem has already been fixed.
The act of Congress that made polygamy illegal at the federal level has been completely repealed.
This was the law that gave the federal government power to destroy the church if they didn't heed it.
Thus, it was the impetus behind why the Manifesto was agreed to, not because God changed His mind about the need for plural marriage.

There are also oracles received in the 1880's which gives the Church the clear directive to do all in their power to appeal to the government so that they could legally keep all of the laws of the Patriarchal Order of Abraham, which is of course a reference to plural marriage.

So, it isn't just me saying it is a good idea, but rather there is an oracle from the Lord commanding the Church to render such political efforts.
And, of course, our Church President has the duty to "be like unto Moses" and this is exactly what Moses did in the courts of Pharaoh.
Moses lobbied so that the children of Israel could go and render their offerings to the Lord that He required in peace with the government.
AI2.0 wrote:Let me guess...you want men to polygamously marry 'widows' and have children with them, correct?
If a woman is sealed to a man who is deceased, whatever children she has will belong to the deceased husband in the eternities.
So, if she marries another man as a widow, she cannot be sealed to him and he is unable to raise up eternal posterity to himself through her.
So, it is a simple and logical solution to allow one man to have a wife to whom he can be sealed and have his eternal posterity and to also receive the widow of another man as a plural wife so that eternal posterity can be raised up to him as well. And, this man who receives this widow should be a good and honorable man who will provide the full spectrum of needs for the widow and her orphans.
AI2.0 wrote:So, is this the big pollution in the church? The problem is that the church forbids polygamy? Is that your complaint? Is that why you condemn our church leaders? Is that why you know more than everyone else, because you believe the LDS church, should be practicing polygamy?

Have you received some sort of spiritual witness that the LDS church is condemned because it is not practicing polygamy?
I have simply made a careful examination of the oracles of the Lord to modern day Prophets and Apostles and the Book of Mormon.
If you really apply your heart and mind to it sincerely you too can hear the cries of widows and their deceased husbands lamenting their state without it.

AI2.0
captain of 1,000

Post by AI2.0 »

jwharton wrote:
AI2.0 wrote:
jwharton wrote:
rewcox wrote:
No, I want all of us, including myself, to give strict heed to the written oracles of the Lord, to which any successors are bound.
If our Church President goes contrary to the oracles of God and his duty, the Lord holds us responsible to raise up a controversy and have him tried.

I have no idea how you derive me just wanting to be a law unto myself out of that.

What you don't recognize is you are wanting all of us to cooperate so that our leaders could be a law unto themselves.
But, the oracles and the laws of the Church found therein, expressly establish that our leaders cannot be a law unto themselves.
The only way they could be is if members yield up to them their agency and deem them beyond reproach and not to be questioned.
Time and time again I get flack for simply pointing out just principles of the Celestial Order that makes all responsible and none exempt.

Why is this such a difficult principle for people to see?

Can't you see you are resisting sound principles here?

Edit: Please be sure to read my other post where I clarify how GAS is 100% correct, but that people are going to be prone to misinterpret it.
But that's not how it works in this church. 'Successors' are not bound by past 'oracles'. If they were, there would be no need for a living prophet--we could be just like all the other christian churches which rely on the 'written oracles' given to them millennia ago. Seriously! There would be no need for any prophets to have been raised up after Joseph Smith Jr. if we were going to refuse to accept any further revelations and this story points out the role of living prophets.
President Wilford Woodruff (1807–98) spoke of a meeting attended by the Prophet Joseph Smith and Brigham Young: “Brother Joseph turned to Brother Brigham Young and said, ‘Brother Brigham I want you to take the stand and tell us your views with regard to the written oracles and the written word of God.’ Brother Brigham took the stand, and he took the Bible, and laid it down; he took the Book of Mormon, and laid it down; and he took the Book of Doctrine and Covenants, and laid it down before him, and he said: ‘There is the written word of God to us, concerning the work of God from the beginning of the world, almost, to our day.’ ‘And now,’ said he, ‘when compared with the living oracles [living prophets] those books are nothing to me; those books do not convey the word of God direct to us now, as do the words of a Prophet or a man bearing the Holy Priesthood in our day and generation. I would rather have the living oracles than all the writing in the books.’ That was the course he pursued. When he was through, Brother Joseph said to the congregation: ‘Brother Brigham has told you the word of the Lord, and he has told you the truth’” (in Conference Report, Oct. 1897, 22–23; emphasis added).
The church of Jesus Christ of Latter day Saints has a living prophet at it's head and he has a purpose and the bulk of the members of this church understand that role. I'm afraid you are in the minority in your beliefs, which unfortunately will lead you away from the church if you persist.

AI2.0
captain of 1,000

Post by AI2.0 »

jwharton wrote:
AI2.0 wrote:Why are widows and their deceased husbands getting the shaft ?
Most people don't think it through and really look at the big picture of what is happening.
And, many who do, just throw up their hands and say "we don't need to worry about it because it will all be fixed in the Millennium".
They fail to realize that we are supposed to be building up the very kingdom that is able to fix all of these problems here and now.
AI2.0 wrote:How do you propose to fix this problem?
A significant part of the problem has already been fixed.
The act of Congress that made polygamy illegal at the federal level has been completely repealed.
This was the law that gave the federal government power to destroy the church if they didn't heed it.
Thus, it was the impetus behind why the Manifesto was agreed to, not because God changed His mind about the need for plural marriage.

There are also oracles received in the 1880's which gives the Church the clear directive to do all in their power to appeal to the government so that they could legally keep all of the laws of the Patriarchal Order of Abraham, which is of course a reference to plural marriage.

So, it isn't just me saying it is a good idea, but rather there is an oracle from the Lord commanding the Church to render such political efforts.
And, of course, our Church President has the duty to "be like unto Moses" and this is exactly what Moses did in the courts of Pharaoh.
Moses lobbied so that the children of Israel could go and render their offerings to the Lord that He required in peace with the government.
AI2.0 wrote:Let me guess...you want men to polygamously marry 'widows' and have children with them, correct?
If a woman is sealed to a man who is deceased, whatever children she has will belong to the deceased husband in the eternities.
So, if she marries another man as a widow, she cannot be sealed to him and he is unable to raise up eternal posterity to himself through her.
So, it is a simple and logical solution to allow one man to have a wife to whom he can be sealed and have his eternal posterity and to also receive the widow of another man as a plural wife so that eternal posterity can be raised up to him as well. And, this man who receives this widow should be a good and honorable man who will provide the full spectrum of needs for the widow and her orphans.
AI2.0 wrote:So, is this the big pollution in the church? The problem is that the church forbids polygamy? Is that your complaint? Is that why you condemn our church leaders? Is that why you know more than everyone else, because you believe the LDS church, should be practicing polygamy?

I have simply made a careful examination of the oracles of the Lord to modern day Prophets and Apostles and the Book of Mormon.
If you really apply your heart and mind to it sincerely you too can hear the cries of widows and their deceased husbands lamenting their state without it.
No, I won't. Women's problems are not solved by marrying them off to some other man, being treated like chattel. I'm not one who pines for the 'good old days' when men held all the power over their women and children--who were viewed as property. I don't like that kind of treatment in this life, and I don't expect to see it in the next.

But, thank you for being honest and admitting that you sympathize and hope for the return of polygamy and this is one reason you are condemning of our church leaders. Now I know exactly where you are coming from.

jwharton
captain of 1,000

Post by jwharton »

AI2.0 wrote:No, I won't. Women's problems are not solved by marrying them off to some other man, being treated like chattel.
Any woman who doesn't want such should not be forced to, but she should also not expect to hold out her hand to others if she rejects this.
The Father's Kingdom uses the Family structure to address the welfare needs of widows and orphans because it is a Patriarchal system.
You need to realize that you are actually striking at the very heart of what Heavenly Father's Kingdom is all about.

If you cripple the family from being able to adapt to and accommodate the needs of widows and orphans then you are opening the door to socialism/communism. The doctrine of plural marriage is linked in a very significant way with having a minimalist government that only focuses on protecting our individual rights and sovereignty.

You should also know better than to accuse me of saying women are just chattel. That's an utterly low blow that is uncalled for.
I said the men who were to receive the plural wives were to be good and honorable men, not chauvinistic creeps as you aptly are wary of.

Are you going to stand there and take the arrogant position that a woman should be forbidden and punished as a criminal if a solid and loving family was willing to receive her into their household with the full dignity of a wife?
AI2.0 wrote:I'm not one who pines for the 'good old days' when men held all the power over their women and children--who were viewed as property. I don't like that kind of treatment in this life, and I don't expect to see it in the next.
Neither am I for continuing the false notion that patriarchy is just a man's thing.
A Patriarch is a man and a woman joined in union and who function as "one flesh".
Only a fool of a man and a fool of a woman would allow it to be a domination game.
AI2.0 wrote:But, thank you for being honest and admitting that you sympathize and hope for the return of polygamy and this is one reason you are condemning of our church leaders. Now I know exactly where you are coming from.
I consider this manner of speaking to me to be extremely rude and uncalled for.