Book of Mormon group reading - 1 chapter/day

For discussing the Church, Gospel of Jesus Christ, Mormonism, etc.
brlenox
A sheep in wolf in sheep's clothing

Re: Book of Mormon group reading - 1 chapter/day

Post by brlenox »

This will be my final entry on this section of the Book of Mormon. This is a long analysis that is built around the understanding of the Jews. For the most part only those very steeped in Jewish culture and a firm understanding of Old Testament constructs will readily recognize the remarkable merit of these things. To me it is one of the most significant aspects of the truths of the Book of Mormon as only a person who lived in the culture of Jerusalem and was a member of the House of Israel could ever have captured the subtle nuances that make this significant. Joseph could never have created this, only an inspired person of the culture could have.

Nephi, Transfer of Birth Right

We pick up this narrative at the point that the sons of Lehi are casting lots in 1 Nephi 3:11 to determine who will first go forth to Laban and procure the plates. The Casting of Lots is not a superstitious method for determining God’s intent. Of course it can be if the intent of the heart and faith are not adequate but it was the same technique used to divide the lands of the Children of Israel when they reached the Promised Land and that was accepted by God. So the question to build upon is why would God choose Laman?

This process of retrieving the plates has many important teachings but the one in question is that this is a legitimate rejection and acceptance of Firstborn heir blessing and duties. It is patterned similar to the Jacob and Esau transfer of firstborn heir. God chooses Laman as he has the right to firstborn heir by his chronological position as firstborn. God does not take this standing lightly. It is Laman’s right to claim. However, firstborn is more than a chronological position it also is a position of being or perhaps status. To fulfill the right to become the firstborn heir, one must possess other qualifications. These conditions from a Jewish perspective are based on fulfilling the will of the father and are symbolically illustrated in the Jacob and Ismael story and will be discussed in this document.
1 Nephi 2:21-22
21 And inasmuch as thy brethren shall rebel against thee, they shall be cut off from the presence of the Lord.
22 And inasmuch as thou shalt keep my commandments, thou shalt be made a ruler and a teacher over thy brethren.
Nephi is called to lead but this is not the act of being chosen. Symbolically, Nephi is in the position of having be called as are members in this day and age, but he must fulfill the duties to which he is called before he can be chosen. However, first things first, as the role of Laman as the firstborn must be validated as available before Nephi can claim the position. This is initiated by the casting of lots as the brothers determine who is to approach Laban.

God chooses Laman specifically to allow him to prove his claim. Laman goes into Laban and fails to secure the plates. He fails. Technically for the moment, that really is no biggie. However, if you will look at 1 Nephi 3:14 the very last sentence is the biggie. Laman forfeits claim to firstborn priority when he gives up and prepares to return to his father in the wilderness. This act serves as a legitimate abandonment of the claim and, as there must be an heir, makes the claim available to be claimed by another.

Now Nephi initiates his claim to become the firstborn heir and secure the transfer of that blessing to him when he states that they cannot return until they “have accomplished the thing which the Lord hath commanded us.” Nephi has initiated a claim on Laman’s firstborn position, perhaps not knowingly but simply by the force of his character and his overwhelming need to be obedient to God.
This however is only making a claim on the now abandoned firstborn right – it is not receipt of the right.

When the sons return the second time and fail again this serves at least two purposes that I can see at the moment. One is that this fulfills what I call a final judgment cycle for Laban. However, in the case of Nephi it fulfills a second requirement which is germane to the transfer of firstborn privilege. By failing Nephi is now provided with the conditions that enable him to distinguish his claim to be the heir as unique from Laman’s claim and legitimate for Laman’s abdication of the privilege.

Nephi has failed in this second effort and again that is not to be equated with abandoning the claim. However, what is significant is alluded to in verse 29. The Lord has chosen Nephi to be a ruler over his brethren. This was initiated with Nephi’s covenant which bound him to the Lord to succeed in this endeavor in 1 Nephi 3:15. Now he has not yet technically fulfilled the requirement to obtain the right but the Lord knows Nephi has the character of an heir and will succeed.

Nephi fulfills the claim in 4:18 when he is “obedient to the voice of the spirit”, which results in Laban’s absent-mindedness (decapitation). Now all of the requirements have been met for a legitimate transfer of firstborn heir status from Laman to Nephi. God does not take this standing lightly. It is Laman’s right to claim. However, firstborn is more than a chronological position it also is a position of being or perhaps status. To fulfill the right to be the heir one must possess other qualifications.

I am sure that Nephi was not aware of the specifics of his test but just as it is with you and I it seems to always come down to obedience to commandments and the Lord will test and try us fully just as he has done and will continue to do with Nephi.

Firstborn – a very significant principle

One of the key principles of Jewish law is concerning conditions of being or becoming a firstborn heir. Understanding this perspective from a Jewish point of view will enable us to see it as a type of becoming a firstborn heir in the Kingdom of God. Both of these tangents, firstborn heir to our earthly fathers and firstborns to our Heavenly Father are represented in the Nephi story and recognizing the conditions that determine successful designation of firstborn heir status is very important. Much of the nuance will be gleaned by observing the significance of the acquisition of the rights and privileges in tangential explanation in the scriptures. This verse in Deuteronomy is a starting point:
Deut 21:15-17
15 If a man have two wives, one beloved, and another hated, and they have born him children, both the beloved and the hated; and if the firstborn son be hers that was hated:

16 Then it shall be, when he maketh his sons to inherit that which he hath, that he may not make the son of the beloved firstborn before the son of the hated, which is indeed the firstborn:

17 But he shall acknowledge the son of the hated for the firstborn, by giving him a double portion of all that he hath: for he is the beginning of his strength;” the right of the firstborn” is his.
The Hebrew term is mishpat ha-bekhorah and refers the text in verse 17 “the right of firstborn” and is translated as “the rule of the birthright”. Bekhor is the term for Firstborn and Gen 49:3 indicates its definition and constraints. Reuben is the “beginning of my strength” which is directly translated as “the first fruit of vigor”. Reuben loses the firstborn right in Jacob’s blessing to his 12 sons as a result of being “unstable as water”, or undependable, untrustworthy etc. apparently sleeping with one of your step mothers is deemed such.

The blessing that Jacob gives that is specific to the firstborn blessing is termed yakkir in Hebrew and refers to the responsibility of the father to finalize the firstborn blessing and means “he shall acknowledge” which is referenced in verse 17 as well.

Part of the code of first born understanding is extrapolated using these two elements of firstborn from the Deuteronomy verses referenced above The mishpat ha-bekhorah , “the right of firstborn ” (Footnote 3) is the reason Laman is first chosen to go into Laban. It is his right, however in order for it to be completed he must be acknowledged by the father (Footnote 4) as an accepted firstborn heir.

I mentioned that Laman relinquishes claim in 1 Nephi 4:14 where he gives up and the other brothers desire to return to their father. (note: to return their father shows them as failures and invalidates Laman’s claim – i.e. his father (earthly and heavenly) will reject his firstborn status)

It should be noted that in Exodus, the Lord is in the process of redeeming Israel. Redeeming is an entire side subject relative to firstborn status that only indirectly applies so I am going to pass it by, only to mention that when the Lord redeemed Israel from Pharaoh, he identified all of Israel as His firstborn.
Exodus 4:22

22 And thou shalt say unto Pharaoh, Thus saith the LORD, Israel is my son, even my firstborn:
Nonetheless, while as a group the House of Israel was to be declared the Firstborn of the Lord of all the earth, there was instituted a second definition of firstborn in Exodus 13:
(Exodus 13:2.)

2 Sanctify unto me all the firstborn, whatsoever openeth the womb among the children of Israel, both of man and of beast: it is mine.
This has greater reference to the status of firstborn in terms of chronological birth order which the Lord claims for having freed the nation of Israel. Slaying all of the firstborn of Egypt, preserving their firstborn from Pharaoh’s decree through the blood of the lamb and securing the freedom of Israel, he requires that their firstborn of all their increase from animals, fruits, and men, (Exodus 22:29) be for his purposes.

However, in a precedent setting fashion, when Israel rejects the Lords charge to keep his commandments, the Lord changes his selection to a group that proves they will obey him – the Levites. These, who illustrate by their actions that they will fulfill the will of the Lord, will be taken in place of the greater numbers of firstborn and since the number of people differ in the Lords favor he requires that the difference of greater firstborn than number of Levites be redeemed at a fixed rate.
Numbers3:12-13, 45-50

12 And I, behold, I have taken the Levites from among the children of Israel instead of all the firstborn that openeth the matrix among the children of Israel: therefore the Levites shall be mine;

13 Because all the firstborn are mine; for on the day that I smote all the firstborn in the land of Egypt I hallowed unto me all the firstborn in Israel, both man and beast: mine shall they be: I am the LORD.

45 Take the Levites instead of all the firstborn among the children of Israel, and the cattle of the Levites instead of their cattle; and the Levites shall be mine: I am the LORD.

46 And for those that are to be redeemed of the two hundred and threescore and thirteen of the firstborn of the children of Israel, which are more than the Levites;

47 Thou shalt even take five shekels apiece by the poll, after the shekel of the sanctuary shalt thou take them: (the shekel is twenty gerahs:)

48 And thou shalt give the money, wherewith the odd number of them is to be redeemed, unto Aaron and to his sons.

49 And Moses took the redemption money of them that were over and above them that were redeemed by the Levites:

50 Of the firstborn of the children of Israel took he the money; a thousand three hundred and threescore and five shekels, after the shekel of the sanctuary:
It should be noted that this initial firstborn status was offered to all of Israel and is commensurate with making them a nation of priests. In other words to be a firstborn is to be a priesthood holder.
Exodus 19:6
6 And ye shall be unto me a kingdom of priests, and an holy nation. These are the words which thou shalt speak unto the children of Israel.
The change in designations from all of Israel being priests was subsequently lost when the Levites were chosen in their stead however; the priesthood continued with the Levites but was a lesser priesthood that was a non-saving priesthood. Interestingly, there is never a reference to the Levites being a firstborn people only a replacement for the rejected firstborn of Israel. This also is commensurate with the fact that the Levites cannot possess a saving priesthood and thus cannot be a firstborn people. They point to Christ as is the plan for the Mosaic Law but cannot fulfill the higher law of Christ. Thus while they are recognized for the level of obedience manifested when the Lord chose them they still were rejected from the Melchizedek priesthood and thus could never be firstborn children without that priesthood. Both the rejection of the House of Israel from being a nation of priests to the selction of the Levites to receive a lesser priesthood are found in Exodus 32:
(Exodus 32:7-8)

7 ¶ And the LORD said unto Moses, Go, get thee down; for thy people, which thou broughtest out of the land of Egypt, have corrupted themselves:

8 They have turned aside quickly out of the way which I commanded them: they have made them a molten calf, and have worshipped it, and have sacrificed thereunto, and said, These be thy gods, O Israel, which have brought thee up out of the land of Egypt.

(Exodus 32:26.)

26 Then Moses stood in the gate of the camp, and said, Who is on the LORD's side? let him come unto me. And all the sons of Levi gathered themselves together unto him.
Further emphasis of what was intended at Sinai when the Lord promised to make them a nation of priests is corroborated through these verses in Deuteronomy.
(Deuteronomy 5:1-5.)

1 And Moses called all Israel, and said unto them, Hear, O Israel, the statutes and judgments which I speak in your ears this day, that ye may learn them, and keep, and do them.

2 The LORD our God made a covenant with us in Horeb. (Footnote 5)

3 The LORD made not this covenant with our fathers, but with us, even us, who are all of us here alive this day.

4 The LORD talked with you face to face in the mount out of the midst of the fire,

5 (I stood between the LORD and you at that time, to shew you the work of the LORD: for ye were afraid by reason of the fire, and went not up into the mount;) saying,
As a result of this loss of firstborn status, Israel retains regulations and laws pertaining to familial inheritance which are types of firstborn in spiritual inheritance. Yet there operates in God’s purview amongst Israel the selection of worthy Melchizedek Priesthood holders which are recognized with the traditional patterns of firstborn according to the same patterns which we see mirrored in the Nephi scenario where he activates his claim on Firstborn privilege.

Nephi’s Firstborn Claim - a Type of Isaac and Esau

Nephi initiates his claim, in 1 Nephi 4:15 where he takes up the completion of his father’s request. This type is suggested in Genesis 27:25. Jacob brings the venison that his father requested and thus secures his father’s blessing. By taking on the responsibility to fulfill his father’s request he initiates his claim on the birthright. This Biblical type is more expressedly described in the Doctrine and Covenants 76:
D&C 76:51-53

51 They are they who received the testimony of Jesus, and believed on his name and were baptized after the manner of his burial, being buried in the water in his name, and this according to the commandment which he has given--

52 That by keeping the commandments they might be washed and cleansed from all their sins, and receive the Holy Spirit by the laying on of the hands of him who is ordained and sealed unto this power;

53 And who overcome by faith, and are sealed by the Holy Spirit of promise, which the Father sheds forth upon all those who are just and true.

54 They are they who are the church of the Firstborn.
Another added quote is provided by Joseph Fielding Smith:
Each person baptized into the Church is under obligation to keep the commandments of the Lord. He is under covenant, for baptism is a "new and an everlasting covenant." (D.C. 22:1.) When he has proved himself by a worthy life, having been faithful in all things required of him, then it is his privilege to receive other covenants and to take upon himself other obligations which will make of him an heir, and he will become a member of the "Church of the Firstborn." (The Way to Perfection, p.208)
Gen 25:33 is where Esau sold his birthright to Jacob thus Jacobs act is valid since Esau despised his birthright. Technically Esau has no firstborn birthright as he sold it to his brother Jacob. Esau still has a birthright but not a firstborn birthright. While his story seems fraught with deception it is actually a process of overcoming his father’s favoritism of Esau and allowing the rightful heir to claim the final acknowledgment of the firstborn blessing.

Esau’s act is a very powerful act of horrific implications to a person raised in Jewish culture esp. anciently. The Targum Pseudo-Jonathan (Footnote 6) is the Jewish document that describes in far greater detail Esau’s response and the circumstances. It was much more horrific that our Biblical record informs us.
Esau requested to eat thereof, and then sold his birthright; indulging in blasphemous speeches (Gen. R. lxiii.; Pes. 22b) and in denials of immortality (Targ. Pseudo-Jon. l.c.) and of God and the resurrection; so that he figures in tradition as one of the three great atheists. (http://www.jewishencyclopedia.com/articles/5846-esau" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)
In sustainment of the above expansion, is the short verse found in Hebrew 12:
Hebrews 12:16
16 Lest there be any fornicator, or profane person, as Esau, who for one morsel of meat sold his birthright.
Jacobs’s initiation of the birthright claim is valid because Esau has despised the Bekhor or the physical birthright. As mentioned before there are 2 parts to the firstborn birthright the Bekhor and the yakkir, which is the acknowledgment and designation as heir. This can be accomplished in two forms. One is simply the declaration to family and the other is the barakhah or the official blessing given by the father. In Jacob’s case he is seeking the acknowledgement in the form of the barakhah which is the second confirming acknowledgement that he is the firstborn heir.

Now we need to look to the Nephi narrative (footnote 7) to compare to see if these conditions are met. We have covered Nephi’s initiation of claim earlier as 1 Nephi 4:15. He takes up the task (commandment) required of his father (both God and Lehi and analogous to the Jacob request, “bring me venison”). In 1 Nephi 3:29 he receives the second requirement – the yakkir, the public declaration of the Lord to his brothers concerning Nephi’s selection as the Firstborn, “Know ye not that the Lord hath chosen him to be a ruler over you, and this because of your iniquities?” At this point he has completely fulfilled Jewish requirements.

However, there are still a few other remarkable confirmations that this is a clear process of transfer of firstborn rights to the chosen firstborn heir. One is the blessing and the other is the receipt of the two portions and still another is found in the conditions of first born responsibility to preside as a patriarch (footnote 8) in place of the previous firstborn heir. The blessing is viewed as a superior evidence of firstborn selection over the adequate public declaration. Once the heir selection is made then the heir must wait until the father doles out the inheritance at which time the heir receives a double portion. The firstborn heir designation comes with the receipt of not only the equal portion given to all of the heirs but an additional portion so that he receives double. This inheritance of the two portions is measured from the possessions of the father at the time of his death. There is more tedium about what is measured by the law but as we are concerned with the spiritual receipt of the double portion I will focus on that.

In 2 Nephi 1:28 Lehi is leaving his final blessing upon all of his children. In verse 31, Lehi prepares to distribute the inheritances. This is typed after the reference to Joseph of Egypt in Gen 48:22 whereas Israel was giving his final birthright blessings to each of his sons and the reference to the double portion which he gave to Joseph:
Genesis 48:22
22 Moreover I have given to thee one portion above thy brethren, which I took out of the hand of the Amorite with my sword and with my bow.

The additional portion is noted in verses Gen 48:8-9

8 And Israel beheld Joseph’s sons, and said, Who are these?
9 And Joseph said unto his father, They are my sons, whom God hath given me in this place. And he said, Bring them, I pray thee, unto me, and I will bless them.
Note that as Nephi is a descendant of Joseph of Egypt and the pattern is identical to Josephs designation where he inherits positions for two tribes so also does Nephi (Footnote 9) receive designations for two groups of people to be included as his own. One should also note the usefulness of the phrase, “Whom God hath given me in this place” as another tying concept to Lehi’s oft stated reference to his last two sons mentioned in 1 Nephi 18:7. Thereafter, he always references them as his sons born in the wilderness, which I believe to be one more connection to the overlay of the Joseph of Egypt story to the Lehi story. The Two given to Joseph “in this place” become Josephs firstborn inheritance and Jacob and Joseph become Nephi’s. Now back to Nephi’s double portion:

The first of Lehi’s offspring in the wilderness, Jacob is blessed in the following verses to attend with Nephi:

2 Nephi 2:2

2 Nevertheless, Jacob, my firstborn in the wilderness, thou knowest the greatness of God; and he shall consecrate thine afflictions for thy gain.

3 Wherefore, thy soul shall be blessed, and thou shalt dwell safely with thy brother, Nephi; and thy days shall be spent in the service of thy God. Wherefore, I know that thou art redeemed, because of the righteousness of thy Redeemer; for thou hast beheld that in the fulness of time he cometh to bring salvation unto men.

The second of his wilderness born is Joseph and he is also urged to stay with Nephi under his care.
2 Nephi 3:3, 25

3 And now, Joseph, my last-born, whom I have brought out of the wilderness of mine afflictions, may the Lord bless thee forever, for thy seed shall not utterly be destroyed.

25 And now, blessed art thou, Joseph. Behold, thou art little; wherefore hearken unto the words of thy brother, Nephi, and it shall be done unto thee even according to the words which I have spoken. Remember the words of thy dying father. Amen.
Additionally, while I do not consider that this constitutes Lehi’s portion to give as Zoram, as he is not of his loins, it further acknowledges Lehi’s intent that Nephi is to be the Patriarch to the remaining righteous members of the group.
2 Nephi 1: 31-32
…and I know that thou art a true friend unto my son, Nephi, forever.

31 Wherefore, because thou hast been faithful thy seed shall be blessed with his seed, that they dwell in prosperity long upon the face of this land;
Finally Sam’s blessing is worded slightly different where in it states that he will inherit like Nephi which should have reference to the first portion that is equal amongst all heirs but he receives no additional instruction to remain in Nephi’s care.
2 Nephi 4:11
11 And after he had made an end of speaking unto them, he spake unto Sam, saying: Blessed art thou, and thy seed; for thou shalt inherit the land like unto thy brother Nephi. And thy seed shall be numbered with his seed; and thou shalt be even like unto thy brother, and thy seed like unto his seed; and thou shalt be blessed in all thy days.
Earlier I mentioned that there were other additional issues that weigh into validating that the Lord has chosen Nephi as the firstborn heir. We just covered the first in the double portion of the inheritance. The second is an addendum to the public designation. The designation alone that the Lord has chosen Nephi to be his brother’s ruler completely fulfills what is required by Jewish expectations but icing on the cake is the receipt of the barakhah, the blessing of the Lord which Nephi receives with his tree of life vision. His father Lehi has received this gift of the Lord and Nephi requests the same of his Father in heaven. This is part one of Nephi receiving a blessing of the Lord which happens to be the same gift the Lord had given to the previous heir Lehi. Part two is the confirmation that Nephi alone received this portion:
1 Nephi 15:8-9

8 And I said unto them: Have ye inquired of the Lord?

9 And they said unto me: We have not; for the Lord maketh no such thing known unto us.
In 2 Nephi 4:3,8 Laman and Lemuel only receive their one family portion and none other of the brothers receives this vision blessing for the reason that they do not feel that God would grant them a blessing for which they have not qualified. The fact that Lehi and Nephi have a common blessing, and that Nephi the heir (Footnote 10) apparent receives the same gift (footnote 11) as his father indicates the common nature of the blessing. Additionally, while every male child retains the claim for a birthright blessing the “special blessing” is only provided to the Firstborn.

However, more revealing is the nature of the vision itself. When trying to grasp the full nature of the vision it is common amongst LDS to combine the elements that Lehi saw and the elements that Nephi saw and put them together for a more complete understanding of the entire vision. This is a natural response to this situation because they are so clearly linked by content. I consider this an elementary opportunity for western thinkers to observe a naturally logical application of a correct Jewish principle of scriptural interpretation, while not realizing it. This rule of Jewish scriptural understanding is that when there are two sets of passages with common elements and there are elements unique in one, these elements can be applied to the other passage in which it is missing (Footnote 12). This is also a premier example of Nephi applying the approach of creating a Targum to explain, in greater detail, things not spoken in Lehi’s original presentation of the vision.

This rule can also be applied to these passages.

In the two visions one of the elements that is in Nephi’s version is found in 1 Nephi 11:1.
(1 Nephi 11:1-2.)

1 For it came to pass after I had desired to know the things that my father had seen, and believing that the Lord was able to make them known unto me, as I sat pondering in mine heart I was caught away in the Spirit of the Lord, yea, into an exceedingly high mountain, which I never had before seen, and upon which I never had before set my foot.

2 And the Spirit said unto me: Behold, what desirest thou ? (Footnote 13)
The element in Nephi’s rendition which must be realized also applies to the Lehi rendition is the fact that this vision takes place in a mountain (footnote 14) . This symbolism is commonly acknowledged to be temple symbolism. Point being that even though it is not explicitly stated we know that Lehi’s vision also took place on a mountain (Footnote 15), whether spiritual or physical I do not know.

The element in Nephi’s rendition which must be realized also applies to the Lehi rendition is the fact that this vision takes place in a mountain . This symbolism is commonly acknowledged to be temple symbolism. A further clue of the nature of this particular incident is the question “what desirest thou” which is simply a convenient rephrasing of the current temple question found in the endowment. In essence both Lehi and Nephi are describing in symbolic terms a temple experience. Several questions and observations lend to the understanding that this is an endowment sequence complete with a vision of aspects of the Life of Christ, the people of the world.

Careful comparisons with the Old Testament blessing patterns actually identifies several common elements that are met in the Nephi and Lehi tree of life Visions. Even the common reference of “Tree of Life” brings us back to the Adam and Eve imagery, that to partake of its fruit was to have eternal life. One Biblical scholar does a fine job of defining her observations on the key elements of the Firstborn birthright blessing:

The Hebrew Scriptures portray the birthright as bestowing not only a double portion of inheritance but also a special blessing, priestly office, the position and authority of lordship, and procreative power. However, inheritance of the birthright, which is distinct from the inheritance bestowed on other members of the family, requires a commitment to serve and obey God, possibly for a future prophetic role. (Israel’s Inheritance: Birthright of the Firstborn Son, Davis, Anne K. CTS Journal 13, Spring 2008)

It is a confirming and sustaining point that all of these conditions are met in Nephi and that the observations of these blessings support conclusion of his receipt of the Firstborn blessing. While this is a live experience and full of additional information it still represents the gift of further light and knowledge that Nephi was seeking. Still the receipt of the endowment is analogous to the specifications of the blessings of inheritance such as the Old Testament Patriarchs grant unto their children in the sense of a spiritual equivalent.

Finally, the final element of the firstborn role that I have noted, that of Patriarch of the surviving family members, is captured in 2 Nephi:
(2 Nephi 5:6.)
6 Wherefore, it came to pass that I, Nephi, did take my family, and also Zoram and his family, and Sam, mine elder brother and his family, and Jacob and Joseph, my younger brethren, and also my sisters, and all those who would go with me. And all those who would go with me were those who believed in the warnings and the revelations of God; wherefore, they did hearken unto my words.
With this seeming casual description of moving the family, the Lord has encouraged Nephi to record a decisive and final indicator of complete receipt of the firstborns role.

Finally, an interesting connection with Priesthood and the role of the FirstBorn heir is here provided for the point of significance of the imperative we have to care for the needy amongst us.
That is why originally G-d placed the priesthood on all first born, because first-borns seemed to have been drilled to take care of the rest of the siblings. And so the congregation of Messiah is called the Congregation of the First-borns because all take most seriously the concept of duty of care, as an older brother, as a father, as a husband… (Hakham Dr. Yosef ben Haggai, http://www.betemunah.org/sederim/Iadar2468.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)
With that observation, my conclusion is that not only does the Nephi / Laban story demonstrate a perfect fit having all the requirements of having received the firstborn blessing but that he does so not only by covering the minimums of requirement but by symbolic presence of every facet that validates the receipt of the firstborn status consistent with the “learning of the Jews” that Nephi advocates is of significant value in understanding his writings.

List of Footnotes from text above

3.)The Stone Edition Chumash page 1047 commentary on Deut 21:15-17. The Torah teaches that a firstborn son may not be deprived of his rightful share in his father’s inheritance.
4.)NIV Commentary on Deuteronomy 21:6, pg 269 “In preference to. The order of birth rather than parental favoritism governed succession, though the rule was sometimes set aside with divine approval.
5.)Horeb. Another name for Sinai
6.)Targums are mentioned as Key Eleven: Use Inspired & Interpreting Translations of the Scriptures in Bruce R. McConkie’s superb treatise on scripture study, The Bible a Sealed Book. He states: It seems to me that most of us are almost unaware of the great enlightenment that is available to us from inspired and interpreting translations of biblical passages. For those with spiritual insight, these inspired interpretations rate an eight or nine (1-10, 10 the highest) on our scale; for those with less spiritual maturity, all they do is raise doubts and questions.
7.) Elder McConkie makes this statement as he notes the value of Nephi’s use of the Targum approach: “For all practical purposes Nephi often did much the same thing when quoting Isaiah or Zenos. He gave, not a literal, but an inspired and interpreting translation. And in many instances his words give either a new or a greatly expanded meaning to the original prophetic word.” He also notes how Moroni and Mormon Made use of a Targum style of scripture analysis.
8.) Genesis 25:
The Hebrew term bet av (paternal household) reflects the fact that in ancient Israel the family was patrilineal: Inheritances were passed through the male line. The patriarch had authority over the entire household, including sons, daughters-in-law, unmarried daughters and grandchildren. Upon the patriarch’s death the firstborn son became the new head of the family, and the paternal lineage of the extended family continued through him. This firstborn son, therefore, exercised both special privileges and unique responsibilities. http://judaicaworld.wordpress.com/right ... firstborn/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
9.) Encyclopedia of Religious Knowledge 1890, pg 339, The Eldest-Son [or other firstborn heir] received a double portion of the fathers inheritance.
10.) Smith’s Dictionary of the Bible, 1902 edition pg 269. This devotion of the firstborn was believed to indicate a priesthood belonging to the Eldest sons of the families…
11.) 1 Nephi 10:17 …the gift of God unto all those who diligently seek him, Nephi has just been reflecting on the this thought as he prepares to ask the Lord for receipt of this gift.
12.) 3. Binyan ab mi-katub ehad: Application of a provision found in one passage only to passages which are related to the first in content but do not contain the provision in question. Rule three of the seven rules of Hillel as listed in the Artscroll Siddur, Schottenstein Edition, for the Sabbath and Festivals with an interlinear Translation, pg 243.
13.) Lundquist, John M. What is Reality , Temples of the Ancient World pg 627. The journey to the mountain, the ritual process, is accompanied by instruction about reality, which may take many forms. ..
14.) Lundquist, John M. What is Reality , Temples of the Ancient World pg 624 The way up the mountain involves ritual, or rites of passage, through which the prophet mediates knowledge of the real to the people who have been prepared by this ritual to approach the holy place.
15.) Lundquist, John M. What is Reality , Temples of the Ancient World pg 624 The way up the mountain involves ritual, or rites of passage, through which the prophet mediates knowledge of the real to the people who have been prepared by this ritual to approach the holy place.
Last edited by brlenox on October 16th, 2013, 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jo1952
captain of 1,000

Post by jo1952 »

BringerOfJoy wrote:1 Ne 2
It's the same old pattern. The lord tells a prophet to declare his words --or in other words--to prophecy. The people try to kill him. (Thank goodness for separation of church and state. It at least makes it more difficult to do so, but surely NOT impossible, as Joseph Smith's story illustrates.)

What is Laman & Lemuel's big problem? Unbelief. They don't believe that the Lord would destroy their brethren at Jerusalem. We get a hint about what Laman and Lemuel are thinking later in 1 Ne 17.
1 Ne 17:22 And we know that the people who were in the land of Jerusalem were a righteous people; for they kept the statutes and judgments of the Lord, and all his commandments, according to the law of Moses; wherefore, we know that they are a righteous people; and our father hath judged them, and hath led us away because we would hearken unto his words; yea, and our brother is like unto him. And after this manner of language did my brethren murmur and complain against us.
In fact the record says they are LIKE those in Jerusalem, and it's obvious that they have the same desires to hurt those who prophecy, given their rejection of their fathers words, and their treatment of Nephi. They don't even seem to know why they do what they do. They don't know the dealings of God. Why? They don't ask. Why don't they ask? Well, either they don't believe that he will answer (and they indicate that is the case later--it's just foolishness to them) and/or they don't want to hear the answer because of the responsibility that would place on them.

Nephi has great desires (like Abraham) to know of the mysteries of God. As coarchmarc said, because of this, he cries unto the Lord; and because he does so, his heart is softened and he is able to believe what is revealed unto his father. This leads to further revelations to Nephi.

WHY is Nephi blessed? Because he has sought the Lord diligently.
What is nephi blessed with? That he will prosper in the land. What is the curse of Laman and Lemuel? that they will be cut off from the Lord. So if prosper is the opposite of cutoff, that's interesting: Could prospering in the land be something entirely different than our culture would indicate? Could it be to enjoy the presence of the Lord?

Laman and Lemuel's fate is pretty much known from the beginning. Their descendants will be a scourge to Nephi's seed, IF THEY REBEL.
23 For behold, in that day that they shall rebel against me, I will curse them even with a sore curse, and they shall have no power over thy seed except they shall rebel against me also.

24 And if it so be that they rebel against me, they shall be a scourge unto thy seed, to stir them up in the ways of remembrance.

Laman and Lemuel will have power over Nephi's seed if Nephi's seed rebels against God. As such, we can see later in the BoM where Nephi's seed does rebel against God; resulting in Laman and Lemuel's seed having power over Nephi's seed.

jo1952
captain of 1,000

Post by jo1952 »

hyloglyph wrote:
I feel for Laman and Lemuel. I don't personally know very many people who would react much different than they did. They want life to move on smoothly, they want comfort and their inheritances among their peers in Jerusalem.

What strikes me is that this is just one family making these crazy life changes, while everyone else goes on with their lives.

Who wouldn't act like Laman and Lemuel?

The modern day equivalent is leaving your work, school, church, to move to Alaska or something, because your dad had some vision.

There was no guarantee. No church program. Even the true prophets like Jeremiah were staying in Jerusalem. They needed to think for themselves but they could not get out of the group think mindset that told them to stay with the herd.

The only reason Nephi was able to go along with his father and understand is that he had literal interaction with Deity. More than just a warm fuzzy feeling, the Lord spake real tangible words to him starting at verse 19.

I am starting to think that real unmistakable interaction with God is the only way to be saved.
It also appears that Lehi's adventures is repeating a "type". He is winding up living what needs to be experienced by each of us individually, and collectively. Lehi had to be willing to abandon the physical world as he knew it in order to be saved.

BringerOfJoy
captain of 100

Post by BringerOfJoy »

1 Ne 5:

The heroes return.

Sariah has been complaining to Lehi, because she is worried about her sons. More than a little bit of marital discord here. Sounds like she is none too happy either to be stuck out here in the wilderness, and she also blames Lehi, of course.

Lehi KNOWS the Lord will be with them as they get the plates, but not so much Sarah. Or at least UNTIL her sons return with the plates, then she realizes that the Lord MUST have been with them, or it wouldn’t have happened.

They rejoice AND they offer burnt sacrifice unto the Lord. Why do these two go together?

Lehi searches the plates FROM THE BEGINNING. That could be a lot of reading.

Lehi is filled with the spirit; and then prophesies.

The brass plates are to go forth to all nations of Lehi’s seed. Have they? Does this only mean some of what was included in the brass plates that ends up in the Book of Mormon, OR does this actually mean the plates themselves. Or a translation of all of it?

They are never to perish or dim

They searched the records, and found them very desirable. (Kind of like Eve’s fruit, right?)

Edited to add 1 Ne 6 since I missed posting it on its proper day.

2 Ne 6

Nephi makes it clear why he is writing:
I desire the room that I may write of the things of God. For the fulness of mine intent is that I may persuade men to come unto the God of Abraham, and the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob, and be saved.
Our job, then, would be to pay attention to what Nephi writes in order to determine exactly HOW it is that we may come unto that God.
Last edited by BringerOfJoy on October 13th, 2013, 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

jo1952
captain of 1,000

Post by jo1952 »

coachmarc wrote:Welcome to the discussion, brlenox! Great insights!

Day 4, chapter 4

This is where Nephi slays Laban.

Nephi channels Moses again and persuades his brothers to exercise faith. But Nephi returns alone and the Spirit leads the way. We all know the story. He finds Laban drunk and wearing his armor. Apparently he was out at night among the Elders of the Jews. There must have been some kind of ceremony going on that required his attendance. He was a prominent figure--a military commander/governor. Not only does he have command of an army, but he is the custodian of the family record (brass plates with genealogy), which by the way is as current as "today's newspaper." Laban also has with him a precious sword. There's a LOT to be said about this.
"It is worth noting...that many critics of the Book of Mormon have cited this passage as evidence against the Book of Mormon's historicity. 'Steel,' it is argued, 'was not known to man in those days.' Today, however, it is increasingly apparent that the practice of 'steeling' iron through deliberate carburization was well-known to the Near Eastern world from which the Lehi colony emerged. 'It seems evident that by the beginning of the tenth century b.c. blacksmiths were intentionally steeling iron.' A carburized iron knife dating to the twelfth century b.c. is known from Cyprus. In addition to this,

'A site on Mt. Adir in northern Israel has yielded an iron pick in association with 12th-century pottery. One would hesitate to remove a sample from the pick for analysis, but it has been possible to test the tip of it for hardness. The readings averaged 38 on the Rockwell "C" scale of hardness. This is a reading characteristic of modern hardened steel.'" (Matthew Roper, FARMS: Review of Books, vol. 9, no 1, 1997)
Apparently forging steel was a closely guarded secret by those smiths who possessed the knowledge. Moving on...

Nephi is wrestling with the Spirit. Taking a life is no small thing, but the Spirit persuades Nephi that it needs to be done. Laban tries to take their lives three times, once after robbing them of their property. This alone is justification. Had Nephi NOT slain Laban, there is no doubt that Laban and the "ten thousand" under his command would catch up to him and his family upon seeing that the family record, even the record of the city and the people had been taken.

There is precedence aplenty in the Old Testament of the Lord delivering up a person, persons or even cities to be destroyed. Moses, Jethro and Samuel are examples. The city Jericho was delivered up to Joshua to be destroyed is another example. And if that's not enough, there's a guy named Ehud--
Judges chapter 3

15 But when the children of Israel cried unto the Lord, the Lord raised them up a deliverer, Ehud the son of Gera, a Benjamite, a man lefthanded: and by him the children of Israel sent a present unto Eglon the king of Moab.

16 But Ehud made him a dagger which had two edges, of a cubit length; and he did gird it under his raiment upon his right thigh.

17 And he brought the present unto Eglon king of Moab: and Eglon was a very fat man.

18 And when he had made an end to offer the present, he sent away the people that bare the present.

19 But he himself turned again from the quarries that were by Gilgal, and said, I have a secret errand unto thee, O king: who said, Keep silence. And all that stood by him went out from him.

20 And Ehud came unto him; and he was sitting in a summer parlour, which he had for himself alone. And Ehud said, I have a message from God unto thee. And he arose out of his seat.

21 And Ehud put forth his left hand, and took the dagger from his right thigh, and thrust it into his belly:

22 And the haft also went in after the blade; and the fat closed upon the blade, so that he could not draw the dagger out of his belly; and the dirt came out.

23 Then Ehud went forth through the porch, and shut the doors of the parlour upon him, and locked them.
Anyway, it was vital to Lehi's posterity that they obtain the plates to preserve their language and also to have the commandments so that they could have the Law and their history as we find out in the next chapter. There was no point in going any further if posterity dwindled in unbelief in only a few generations as was the case with the Mulekites.

There's more to be said about Zoram, his concerns about the Elders of the Jews, being relieved by an oath, having "a place" with Nephi's family and leaving Jerusalem forever. But I'll let someone else tackle it.
We need to remember that, in accordance with the Law of Moses, death was an allowed punishment. For those who are bothered by this, we should also remember to not be fearful of the death of our physical body. Many have trouble with the OT wherein they believe the "God" of the OT is not the same "God" of the NT. It was Jesus who fulfilled the Law of Moses; and who taught us to live in accordance with the laws written upon our hearts....IOW, spiritual "law" as opposed to temporal. The Savior's appearance in the flesh changed the "law". Even when it was God who gave directions to take physical life (insomuch as the offenders perished) for those living under the law, this was only instruction for how to treat the physical body. Such instructions did not have the power to kill and/or destroy the spirit that dwells in a physical body. God placed Laban's physical body into the hands of Nephi. In taking Laban's life, Nephi was not able to kill the spirit that dwelled in Laban's body; as he only had the power to kill Laban's body.

jo1952
captain of 1,000

Post by jo1952 »

embryopocket wrote:I'll make a comment on chapter 4 later today, but I just wanted to note how much more light there is in my life after studying these first few chapters and discussing their teachings with all of you. I feel strengthened beyond what I was expecting. Thanks guys. :ymhug:
Thank YOU for this thread!

jo1952
captain of 1,000

Post by jo1952 »

Cookies wrote:I read this a while back and kept my notes.Thanks for starting this thread!!! I obviously could use the extra insight :)) -
3 Now behold ye know that this is true; and ye also know that an angel hath spoken unto you; wherefore can ye doubt? Let us go up; the Lord is able to deliver us, even as our fathers, and to destroy Laban, even as the Egyptians.
-My thoughts exactly! Throughout these chapters Nephi makes it sound like the Lord is basically giving them Proof of his existence and AMPLE opportunity for them to soften their hearts. A freaking angel has appeared to them!? Why do they keep doubting? Perhaps Laman and Lemuel didn't see it that way? It would be nice to know their side of the story.
chp 16- 37 And Laman said unto Lemuel and also unto the sons of Ishmael: Behold, let us slay our father, and also our brother Nephi, who has taken it upon him to be our ruler and our teacher, who are his elder brethren.

38 Now, he says that the Lord has talked with him, and also that angels have ministered unto him. But behold, we know that he lies unto us; and he tells us these things, and he worketh many things by his cunning arts, that he may deceive our eyes, thinking, perhaps, that he may lead us away into some strange wilderness; and after he has led us away, he has thought to make himself a king and a ruler over us, that he may do with us according to his will and pleasure. And after this manner did my brother Laman stir up their hearts to anger.
What is it that makes them continue to think that Nephi is trying to rule over them to make slaves of them, or that he lies??? From what Nephi is telling me, he sounds like a pretty nice guy!
Could it be that Nephi is not mentioning some sort of annoying personality flaw of his? I could see that happening. I used to re-read my journal entries and re word them/scribble things out to make myself seem like a better person than I really am. (Note to self-stop doing that! It's important for your future posterity to know the good the bad and the ugly in order to make an informed decision.)

Vs 10-18 Nephi kills Laban- it sounds like he really didn't want to. He submitted his will to the will of the father. I wonder how the Lord would have responded if Nephi asked him to kill Laban instead? Would that be considered unrighteous? Maybe he did ask?
"And I shrunk and would that I might not slay him."
Why did God want Nephi to do it? Was he being tested? If so, did he pass the test?

Vs19- Was there any blood on Laban's garments!? How messy is it to chop somebody's head off....Never mind Let's not go there.. :ymsick: It mentions that he put on Laban's armor, it was probably made of some sort of metal, perhaps that covered up the evidence and wiped off easily. Plus, it was dark.

Nephi killed somebody, and used his identity to get Laban's plates (Murder, Identity theft, and a different kind of theft) Why is it so easy for us to justify Nephi for these perceived crimes and give him the benefit of the doubt, yet not so easy to justify people in our day? Is it o.k. to break a commandment if God tells you to? I would have to be pretty damn sure that it was in fact God telling me to do something like that! Even then, like Nephi, I would have a hard time with it.

Zoram was a servant. What made a servant back then? Was he black?
It does seem incredible to read that Laman and Lemuel had had an angel appear to them, and they still were not convinced. I do not doubt that Lehi had made sure all of his sons had been taught from scripture in accordance with Jewish Tradition. But it is not enough to have access to truth and light if we are not opened to receiving the message itself. I keep remembering how Saul was so committed to serving God; but he was not spiritually committed. It took the road to Damascus experience for his spiritual eyes to be opened and to discover that his efforts had been kicking against the pricks. Until our spiritual eyes awaken, we remain blind to truth and light. Even as we awaken, we remain blind to whatever we are not yet ready to receive. The story of Lehi's family is yet another example of how mankind functions in the physical world while some remain spiritually blind and others do not.

It was not uncommon in Jewish society or other societies to own slaves. It didn't matter what color your skin was. Often, Jews themselves have been slaves. It was connected more to politics.

Cookies
captain of 100

Post by Cookies »

BringerOfJoy wrote:1 Ne 5:
Sariah has been complaining to Lehi, because she is worried about her sons. More than a little bit of marital discord here. Sounds like she is none too happy either to be stuck out here in the wilderness, and she also blames Lehi, of course.
I had the opportunity to listen to Camille Fronk Olsen from the BYU department of ancient scripture give some wonderful insights on Sariah. I wish I could remember everything she said, but I know that she mentioned something about how back in those days the women were rarely separated. (tending to motherly duties together, preparing food etc..) It was not uncommon for them to form an EXTREMELY close knit sisterhood. Sariah was definitely out of her comfort zone when she left with all those men!

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Post by marc »

Day Six
brlenox wrote:I think there is a magnificent principle taught here in the Lehi / Sariah exchange. It is a physical embodiment of the temple covenants ...
I believe that the entire first book of Nephi is an embodiment of the endowment. Nephi is cast out of his home, receives a true messenger, is given further light and knowledge until he is received by the Lord himself through continuous obedience and diligence to keeping all the tasks and commandments given to him. Having been "true and faithful" he gets to converse with the Lord through the veil until finally he is received into the kingdom, entering into the Lord's rest while still in mortality. Thus he will be able to abide the Celestial glory after his mortal life.

Embryo pocket also said something about Laban that turns off a lot of people to the BoM. In my BoM (I still read and use the same book from my missionary days) are tons of notes on the sides, etc. and one of my notes is that Nephi is telling us in chapter six that he has only included what is most precious and what is necessary to "come unto Christ." Remember that he wrote this more precious record about forty years after arriving in the promised land. So he is recollecting his journey, putting everything into context for us. And he sums it all up in 2 Nephi chapters 31 and especially 32. The Book of Mormon will act as a kind of sieve that separates those who believe in Christ, for as Nephi said at the end of his work, that those who will believe in Chirst will believe in Nephi's words, for they are the words of Christ. Nephi goes on to state that he has sealed on earth his words. And we will be judged accordingly.

jo1952
captain of 1,000

Post by jo1952 »

In chapter 4 I was impressed with how it was that Zoram mistook Nephi's voice for his master's voice. We need to be able to recognize our Master's voice, and not be deceived into thinking we hear His voice, when it is not His voice! In the long run, it was better that Zoram was deceived, for by following Nephi's voice, Zoram's life was saved from the destruction of Jerusalem. So....how does this look when we try to reconcile whether or not we are following our Master's true voice? It would appear that even at times we are being deceived, God's purposes can still be accomplished. In fact, God is the one who delivered Laban into Nephi's hand. Then, Nephi purposely deceives Zoram for both the sake of Nephi and his brothers, and of Zoram; and Nephi's deceit led them where God wanted them to go. Also, without that deceit, the plates would not have been acquired; as they were very much necessary to have. I'm pondering what it is we are to learn from this aspect of the story so that I can relate it to us today. IOW, who is playing which role in our own current story; and what is the significance, etc.? :-\

jo1952
captain of 1,000

Post by jo1952 »

In chapter five we can see a continuation of the steps we all go through while in the flesh. Each individual is at their own particular spiritual understanding in their very personal relationship with God....each from their own perspective which does not necessarily agree with another's perspective. This is reflected by the actions and re-actions of the different individuals. Sariah's participation could become an entire thread.

The importance of scripture and genealogy is manifested.

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Post by marc »

jo1952 wrote:In chapter 4 I was impressed with how it was that Zoram mistook Nephi's voice for his master's voice. We need to be able to recognize our Master's voice...
I really appreciate this observation.
13 For how knoweth a man the master whom he has not served, and who is a stranger unto him, and is far from the thoughts and intents of his heart?
How well do we know our Savior's voice? Joseph Smith knew his voice, so much so, that he was called a friend by Jesus Christ. There is a LOT to be said about their friendship and the path it takes to achieve this relationship.

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Post by marc »

Chapter 7

Woohoo, it's been one week and we're going strong. Thank you to those of you who have shared your personal insight. I am really enjoying this thread and hope that it keeps going strong.

I find it humorous that Laman and Lemuel didn't complain about going back again. They were going back for women! :ymsmug:

I found this very insightful bit of information regarding Ishmael:
"Ishmael an Ephraimite - 'The Prophet Joseph Smith informed us that the record of Lehi was contained on the one hundred sixteen pages that were first translated and subsequently stolen, and of which an abridgment is given us in the First Book of Nephi, which is the record of Nephi individually, he himself being of the lineage of Manasseh; but that Ishmael was of the lineage of Ephraim, and that his sons married into Lehi's family, and Lehi's sons married Ishmael's daughters, thus fulfilling the words of Jacob upon Ephraim and Manasseh in the 48th chapter of Genesis [verse 16] which says: 'And let my name be named on them, and the name of my fathers Abraham and Isaac; and let them grow into a multitude in the midst of the earth.'

Thus these descendants of Manasseh and Ephraim grew together upon this American continent, with a sprinkling from the house of Judah, from Mulek descended, who left Jerusalem eleven years after Lehi, and founded the colony afterwards known as Zarahemla found by Mosiah -- thus making a combination, an intermixture of Ephraim and Manasseh with the remnants of Judah, and for aught we know, the remnants of some other tribes that might have accompanied Mulek. And such have grown up upon the American continent.' -- From "Discourse by Apostle Erastus Snow," at Logan, Utah, May 6, 1882, see Journal of Discourses, vol. 23, pp. 184, 185." (James E. Talmage, A Study of the Articles of Faith, p.504-5)
And...
"Our tradition that Ishmael's ancestry went back to Ephraim, son of Joseph, is based on a discourse given by Elder Erastus Snow, in Logan, Utah, on May 6, 1882. He said, 'The prophet Joseph informed us that the record of Lehi was contained on the 116 pages that were first translated and subsequently stolen, and of which an abridgment is given us in the First Book of Nephi, which is the record of Nephi individually, he himself being of the lineage of Manasseh; but that Ishmael was of the lineage of Ephraim, and that his sons married into Lehi's family, and Lehi's sons married Ishmael's daughters.'

"From the above quotation and from 1 Nephi 7:6 we may propose that two of Ishmael's sons had married daughters of Lehi and Sariah. That would mean the two families were already related by marriage, which might explain Lehi's seeming nonchalance about instructing his sons to bring Ishmael's family down into the wilderness. There might already have been marriage plans between the two families-only the setting for the ceremonies would now have to change from the city to the desert. Another reason why Ishmael's family in particular was elected to join Lehi's was that Ishmael's had five unmarried daughters; the four sons of Lehi along with Zoram would in time marry Ishmael's daughters-a perfect five-way match set up in advance by the Lord." (Kent P. Jackson, ed., Studies in Scripture, Vol. 7: 1 Nephi to Alma 29, p. 30.)
Anyway, on their way back from Jerusalem, Tweedle Laman and Tweedle Lemuel rebel. Again. And after rebuke from baby brother, they tie him up and leave him to be devoured by wild beasts. I've often wondered about what kind of beasts roamed this desert area. Then I found this:
"Our recent Book of Mormon Sunday School lesson brought back a memory that has made 1 Ne. 7:16 very meaningful to us. Nephi says he was bound with cords, 'for they sought to take away my life, that they might leave me in the wilderness to be devoured by wild beasts.' What wild beasts were there in the desert south of Jerusalem that could devour a man?

"A frightening experience in 1988 has made this scripture very real to us. One night my wife and I were camped on the Saudi Arabian desert near ancient For Olayah, eight kilometers from the Red Sea and halfway between Jeddah and Yanbu, where we lived. We were studying the antiquities and ruins of ancient civilizations that are found along the trail Lehi may have traveled....We had no weapons and felt no danger until about midnight when we were awakened by terrifying, panting noises just outside the car.

"'It is only some wild dogs,' said my wife as she looked outside the car with half-opened eyes. 'Throw some stones and they will go away.'

"A second look caused both of us to freeze with fear. There stood two huge, black hyenas, double the size of any dog we'd ever seen, and much larger than those brown-spotted hyenas seen in zoos. Their barrel chests were heaving, and their long tongues hung from gaping mouths as they panted from what we guessed was a long run across the desert to arrive at our camp. They had muscular shoulders which narrowed down to small rumps and short hind legs. They were wild, carnivorous beasts, fully capable of destroying a man. By the full moon, we could see them perfectly just 15 feet away. Their yellowish eyes gleamed in the dark, and their pointed ears were erect and directed toward us.

"Unprotected as we were, we had to take some action. I got out of the car, gathered a few stones and started to yell and throw the stones. To our great relief, the hyenas backed away. I gathered some of the camp gear and jumped in the car, slamming all the doors, only to see not two but four wild beasts approaching us. We honked the horn, turned on the lights and started the engine, but the 'devil dogs' ominously edged toward the car. But now we were safe, and soon the four of them lined up in a single file and started trotting out across the barren desert.

"Later, we related this experience to a friend, Bill Rogers, who had worked in Ethiopia. He was amazed that we had survived. He said that in Ethiopia they also have large, black hyenas. The villagers fear them more than lions, for they are known to come into the natives' huts and compounds and carry away small children to devour in the desert. Perhaps we felt the same fear Nephi had felt centuries before, for now we had a very good idea about the threat of being actually devoured by wild beasts in the wilderness." (Lynn B. Hilton, "Wild Beasts Still Stalk Lehi's Route," LDS Church News, 02/08/92).
In any case, after his ordeal and his brothers begging his forgiveness, Nephi frankly forgave them. Later in Nehi's record, he tells us how often he watered his pillow at night with tears. He expresses remorse for being angry at his enemies. Nephi spent his entire adult life turning the other cheek. He truly covered the sins of his brothers with a cloak of charity. Nephi embodied Christlike love. He knew how merciful Jesus Christ would be, even as the Savior would hang from a cross, begging his Father in heaven to forgive all those who put Him there, because they knew not what they did. Christ suffered Himself to be brutality tortured. He allowed Himself to suffer every pain that everyone chose to ruthlessly inflict on him. And I truly believe that there were among them, people who truly didn't know what they were doing. I can only imagine their utter guilt and shame when they stand before the Savior, truly penitent and worthy of redemption and to hear Him say, "Don't you see? I love you," as he scoops them up from their broken state to feel His powerful love and forgiving embrace. Nephi knew how to love his enemies, though he was still mortal and "wretched" as he describes himself.

jo1952
captain of 1,000

Post by jo1952 »

Thank you for this, Coachmarc. It occurred to me that there is even symbolism in the use of wild beasts. Some belief traditions speak of the process of overcoming in terms of "overcoming" our own beastly nature (and this can even be found in scripture....the speaking of our beastly self). So, as we continue in our eternal progression, we should see advancement in our own behaviors. We can see everything in this physical world with layers and layers of understanding; as everything represents a pattern which repeats itself at different levels of spiritual growth which is being mimicked within the layers of how various species survive in the world. I don't know if I have expressed myself which makes sense. Everything....everything in this world is patterned in such a way for us to be able to "see" and "hear" what it is that God wants us to learn about His kingdom(s). The more "awake" we become, the easier it is for us to see and hear those layers; because we are then "ready" to receive. This coincides with our own spiritual "ascension" between the layers of heavenly kingdoms. And we must personally experience them; no one else can "teach" us the experiencing that is necessary!

jonrizzy
captain of 50

Post by jonrizzy »

A couple of thoughts. In Vs 17-18, Nephi Prays for strength to " burst these bands with which I am bound". But instead of giving him the strength, the lord simply loosens the bands and he is free. How often do we ask for strength so that we can overcome whatever it is that binds us. The Lord works in his own way and on his own timetable. Nephi was not a prideful man. But the lord uses gentle persuasion to help us realize that it is his power that brings about miracles.
After Nephi is freed, Laman and Lemuel became sorrowful and plead for forgiveness. They pray to the lord in verse 21 and give thanks in verse 22. It appears the older brothers had at least some desire to follow Nephi and repent. Now this might have a lot to do with having seen an angel, but it is a warning about diligence and gaining true sorrow for sin given their later actions. I have seen people appear to be honest in wanting to change only to fall into the same sins later in life. It takes true diligence to follow god's path. We can't rest on a past witness but must continually strive to stay in the light.

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Post by marc »

Day 8 Chapter 8

This is quite the chapter. I am not going to say much about this except two things. I believe that this vision is an allegory representative of our individual path back to veil. Later in Nephi's writings, we learn that we enter in by the "way," which is baptism and press forward feasting upon the words of Christ. The rod represents His word(s), which bring us to the tree, and the fruit, which we partake after we come to the end of the rod and fall down (v. 30) is redemption. The fullness of the gospel is to be brought back into the presence of Jesus Christ. Who would not fall down in reverence and worship when one has parted the veil?

At the beginning of Lehi's vision, he finds himself in a dreary wilderness where a man dressed in a white robe stands before him, and bids Lehi to follow him. Lehi chooses to follow this man and ends up walking through darkness for many hours until he finally decides to pray to God for help. I have read many commentaries in my life about this allegorical vision, but never one that gives a representation of this man. What do we know of him? We know only two things:

1. He is a man
2. He is dressed in a white robe

Lehi's dream sets him in a dark and dreary wilderness. After he decides to follow this man, he enters a dark and dreary waste. Then he finds himself in complete darkness and there is no more mention of this man. After Lehi spends many hours traveling in the dark, he finally prays for mercy. This is when he comes to a large and spacious field and sees the tree and discerns that its fruit brings happiness.

Let's keep in mind that this is not Lehi's first vision. In the very first few verses of the very first chapter of the Book of Mormon we read about Lehi's vision where he sees God sitting on His throne and then he sees One descending who's luster is that of "his luster was above that of the sun at noon-day.." Then twelve others follow Him and "and their brightness did exceed that of the stars in the firmament."

But the man who bade Lehi to follow him in his vision of the tree of life had no glory to speak of, yet Lehi trusted him enough to follow him. Let's keep in mind that this particular vision is allegorical. There are many other visions but not all are allegorical. Nephi also beheld the same vision with a little more detail that Lehi missed (like the filthy water), but Nephi also had other visions of the future. For example, he saw in a vision that John would write the book of Revelations. But it was not allegorical or symbolic. It was of a real future.

Korihor was deceived by Satan who had appeared to him in the form of an angel. In the Pearl of Great Price, when Satan appears to Moses in chapter one, Moses looks at him and tells him that he has no glory to speak of, unlike God who had just spoken to him and His glory was upon Moses, therefore Moses could abide His presence.

The point I am trying to make here is that I believe that this man at the beginning of Lehi's vision was nothing more than a man. When we trust in a man, or rather in the arm of flesh, and we follow him, we will always find ourselves in darkness. Some might argue that he was an angel or maybe a prophet or apostle. Perhaps so, BUT, any of them cannot enter in at the gate for you, or press forward along the iron rod for you, or partake of the fruit of the tree of life for you. This is the interpretation that I make. Jesus Christ said, "Come, follow me." Only Christ is the keeper of the gate. Any messenger can bring us to the gate, to enter in at the way. I concede this. Thereafter, however, I follow only Christ for HIS word is the rod, which I hold on to with dear life until I fall down at His feet (v. 30) to partake of the fruit, or rather to part the veil and to worship Him in person.

BringerOfJoy
captain of 100

Post by BringerOfJoy »

1 Ne 8:

Obviously, once he is in the dreary place, Lehi’s prayers for mercy work a whole lot better than following the man in white did.

It's interesting that the fruit that Lehi partakes of is described as being desirous, but then, so was the fruit of the tree of Knowledge of Good & Evil.

Sariah, Sam and Nephi didn’t ever follow the man, nor have they prayed yet for mercy. They don’t follow Lehi to the tree; since he’s already there; but they know it’s possible to get there, because they can already see him there. That works well enough for them.

The rod of iron works to get people to the tree and the fruit; but it isn’t always effective in keeping them there. The mocking of the folks in the building seems to have a stronger pull for many even once they have partaken of the fruit. If the fruit is so good, why does this happen? Why do many leave to go to the building.Why don't Lehi and Nephi and company? It's interesting that Laman and Lemuel never even get so far as to partake of the fruit first. I would guess that their judgment might be less than those who have already partaken of the fruit, and THEN leave for the building. It's as if there is a veil around Laman and Lemuel that prevents them from ever being able to believe in any significant way, from the very beginning.

jo1952
captain of 1,000

Post by jo1952 »

coachmarc wrote: The point I am trying to make here is that I believe that this man at the beginning of Lehi's vision was nothing more than a man. When we trust in a man, or rather in the arm of flesh, and we follow him, we will always find ourselves in darkness. Some might argue that he was an angel or maybe a prophet or apostle. Perhaps so, BUT, any of them cannot enter in at the gate for you, or press forward along the iron rod for you, or partake of the fruit of the tree of life for you. This is the interpretation that I make. Jesus Christ said, "Come, follow me." Only Christ is the keeper of the gate. Any messenger can bring us to the gate, to enter in at the way. I concede this. Thereafter, however, I follow only Christ for HIS word is the rod, which I hold on to with dear life until I fall down at His feet (v. 30) to partake of the fruit, or rather to part the veil and to worship Him in person.
I find it interesting that Christ is the Word made flesh. As such, He WAS "a man". We can ponder and learn from that!

Lehi's dream represents what we all go through in our journey back into being filled with Light....by going through darkness, etc.

Once again, great job, Marc.

jo1952
captain of 1,000

Post by jo1952 »

BringerOfJoy wrote:1 Ne 8:

Obviously, once he is in the dreary place, Lehi’s prayers for mercy work a whole lot better than following the man in white did.

It's interesting that the fruit that Lehi partakes of is described as being desirous, but then, so was the fruit of the tree of Knowledge of Good & Evil.

Sariah, Sam and Nephi didn’t ever follow the man, nor have they prayed yet for mercy. They don’t follow Lehi to the tree; since he’s already there; but they know it’s possible to get there, because they can already see him there. That works well enough for them.

The rod of iron works to get people to the tree and the fruit; but it isn’t always effective in keeping them there. The mocking of the folks in the building seems to have a stronger pull for many even once they have partaken of the fruit. If the fruit is so good, why does this happen? Why do many leave to go to the building.Why don't Lehi and Nephi and company? It's interesting that Laman and Lemuel never even get so far as to partake of the fruit first. I would guess that their judgment might be less than those who have already partaken of the fruit, and THEN leave for the building. It's as if there is a veil around Laman and Lemuel that prevents them from ever being able to believe in any significant way, from the very beginning.
Good thoughts!

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Post by marc »

jo1952 wrote:
coachmarc wrote: The point I am trying to make here is that I believe that this man at the beginning of Lehi's vision was nothing more than a man. When we trust in a man, or rather in the arm of flesh, and we follow him, we will always find ourselves in darkness. Some might argue that he was an angel or maybe a prophet or apostle. Perhaps so, BUT, any of them cannot enter in at the gate for you, or press forward along the iron rod for you, or partake of the fruit of the tree of life for you. This is the interpretation that I make. Jesus Christ said, "Come, follow me." Only Christ is the keeper of the gate. Any messenger can bring us to the gate, to enter in at the way. I concede this. Thereafter, however, I follow only Christ for HIS word is the rod, which I hold on to with dear life until I fall down at His feet (v. 30) to partake of the fruit, or rather to part the veil and to worship Him in person.
I find it interesting that Christ is the Word made flesh. As such, He WAS "a man". We can ponder and learn from that!

Lehi's dream represents what we all go through in our journey back into being filled with Light....by going through darkness, etc.

A fascinating take. One thing I feel compelled to point out (and it's not entirely related to your reply) is that Lehi knew the Lord before having had this vision. Thus, had this "man" been the Lord, Lehi would have recognized Him instantly and clearly indicated it. Just my two cents, anyway.

jo1952
captain of 1,000

Post by jo1952 »

I can't help but notice how it is that Lehi is directed by God to send back his children to Jerusalem many times, in order to obtain the things they needed in order to be able to get to their Promised Land. So, who does Lehi represent? Are his children us? Multiple trips to Jerusalem before they are prepared enough to get to their new home? What does Jerusalem represent?

Laban and his two-edged sword, the killing of Laban...who does Laban represent...the need to kill Laban before they could take the Word (scriptures) with them.

Etc., etc.

jo1952
captain of 1,000

Post by jo1952 »

coachmarc wrote:
jo1952 wrote:

A fascinating take. One thing I feel compelled to point out (and it's not entirely related to your reply) is that Lehi knew the Lord before having had this vision. Thus, had this "man" been the Lord, Lehi would have recognized Him instantly and clearly indicated it. Just my two cents, anyway.
Excellent!

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Post by marc »

jo1952 wrote:I can't help but notice how it is that Lehi is directed by God to send back his children to Jerusalem many times, in order to obtain the things they needed in order to be able to get to their Promised Land. So, who does Lehi represent? Are his children us? Multiple trips to Jerusalem before they are prepared enough to get to their new home? What does Jerusalem represent?

Laban and his two-edged sword, the killing of Laban...who does Laban represent...the need to kill Laban before they could take the Word (scriptures) with them.

Etc., etc.
All of First Nephi is allegorical of the endowment. Nephi (symbolizing Adam) could easily represent any of us on our individual paths.

jo1952
captain of 1,000

Post by jo1952 »

coachmarc wrote:
jo1952 wrote:I can't help but notice how it is that Lehi is directed by God to send back his children to Jerusalem many times, in order to obtain the things they needed in order to be able to get to their Promised Land. So, who does Lehi represent? Are his children us? Multiple trips to Jerusalem before they are prepared enough to get to their new home? What does Jerusalem represent?

Etc., etc.
All of First Nephi is allegorical of the endowment. Nephi (symbolizing Adam) could easily represent any of us on our individual paths.
God just keeps on giving us tools...all pointing to the same things!!! Some tools may show up as new tools (even as new "covenants"?); but the messages being taught do not change! The tools all point to the Truth!!

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Post by marc »

And/or tokens (brass plates, sword of laban, brass plates).