Egregiously violating church standards on national TV

For discussing the Church, Gospel of Jesus Christ, Mormonism, etc.
mingano
captain of 1,000

Egregiously violating church standards on national TV

Post by mingano »

Warning - very immodest dress.

http://realitytv.about.com/od/soyouthin ... TYCD-9.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This is an 18 year old Mormon from American Fork. She is currently one of the finalists on the show So You Think You Can Dance. Does anybody else think she is an exceptionally poor representative of the church with her seeming obsession with dressing like this? Shouldn't her bishop have some words about this? Or is everything good because she's on national TV?

ebenezerarise
captain of 1,000

Re: Egregiously violating church standards on national TV

Post by ebenezerarise »

She is a poor representative of herself. Her mother and her father should talk to her first -- not her Bishop.

mingano
captain of 1,000

Post by mingano »

Her mother and father are actively encouraging her to dress like that. There is another girl from Provo who is competing with her who dresses about the same - that girl's mom owns a dance studio and even in their regular practice wears the bare stomach "clothing".

But that first one... her audition dance was just obscene. She went on and on about how she was trying to be as sexy as she possibly could because that was good and normal.

awar_e
captain of 100

Post by awar_e »

I am a bit surprised at someone expecting anything better from a worthless TV program which is not anything LDS would expect to even be watching.
The girl's mother is the person at fault since the girl has been training for this since age 3.
Perhaps a bishop should look into someone who posts this tripe and laments about others seeing it.

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Post by marc »

I got rid of tv two years ago. Anyone who still watches tv and criticizes anyone on tv... :-?

In any case, It's no more "slutty" than going to the swimming pool in a one piece. What do I know?

jcricket6048
captain of 100

Post by jcricket6048 »

I believe that each one of us have our free agency that means that we choose what we want to do. However it maybe her parents may not be active or just want there daughter to be successful. Remember Marie Osmond on that show and the clothes she wore well no one was saying that her dress was not modest or bad taste. We just need to remind ourselves what we are look at our own sins and see what we have done. I do not justify what she has done but it does not mean that it gives us the right to judge her for what she has done so be careful.

Thomas
captain of 1,000

Post by Thomas »

I 'm not judging one way or the other, but what if she was a swimmer, competing in the Olmypics. Would you have the same opinion of her attire?

Original_Intent
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Original_Intent »

mingano wrote:Warning - very slutty dress.

http://realitytv.about.com/od/soyouthin ... TYCD-9.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This is an 18 year old Mormon from American Fork. She is currently one of the finalists on the show So You Think You Can Dance. Does anybody else think she is an exceptionally poor representative of the church with her seeming obsession with dressing like this? Shouldn't her bishop have some words about this? Or is everything good because she's on national TV?
Maybe you should worry about fixing the man in the mirror's problems, and quit looking for someone to point the finger of scorn at.

And please, nobody start with me about Romney - he wants to be president, this girl just wants to win a dance contest.

Elizabeth
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Elizabeth »

mingano: obviously neither of the girls, nor the Mum who runs the dance studio, are an example of Latter-day Saint standards. If they are LDS members, and attend activities and services, then this should indeed be a matter for their Bishop to discuss with them.

LateOutOfBed
captain of 100

Post by LateOutOfBed »

Original_Intent wrote: Maybe you should worry about fixing the man in the mirror's problems, and quit looking for someone to point the finger of scorn at.

And please, nobody start with me about Romney - he wants to be president, this girl just wants to win a dance contest.
Amen OI,

This whole thread reeks of "judge not, lest ye be judged yourself". I agree it's not a very modest dress... but who am I to say what she should or shouldn't do when my house is still all glass?

-- Geoff

Original_Intent
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Original_Intent »

SARAH Ward wrote:mingano: obviously neither of the girls, nor the Mum who runs the dance studio, are an example of Latter-day Saint standards. If they are LDS members, and attend activities and services, then this should indeed be a matter for their Bishop to discuss with them.
I think bishops should be more worried about busybodies who need a lesson in minding their own business.

mingano
captain of 1,000

Post by mingano »

Thomas wrote:I 'm not judging one way or the other, but what if she was a swimmer, competing in the Olmypics. Would you have the same opinion of her attire?
Swimmers wear MUCH more fabric than she does.

ldsfireguy
captain of 100

Post by ldsfireguy »

If you go to a strip club, and see an "LDS" girl there, would you complain that she was "not wearing enough?"

TV in general, and reality shows in particular, are a vulgar low-class expression of American culture. Those "LDS" who participate in them have their own set of problems that most likely exceed what they are wearing.
Last edited by ldsfireguy on September 4th, 2012, 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Post by marc »

Why single out this young lady anyway? How many countless programs on how many channels are showing acts of violence, immorality, etc, etc, that violate church standards? You do realize that you're looking through a window to Babylon?

karend77
captain of 1,000

Post by karend77 »

Original_Intent wrote:
SARAH Ward wrote:mingano: obviously neither of the girls, nor the Mum who runs the dance studio, are an example of Latter-day Saint standards. If they are LDS members, and attend activities and services, then this should indeed be a matter for their Bishop to discuss with them.
I think bishops should be more worried about busybodies who need a lesson in minding their own business.
I agree.

Just a head's up....I know the girl's parents. They are wonderful people and active. This girl does not dress that way on a normal basis. This is a costume and is a style of dress for Latin ballroom.....and she is on a tv show where she is given the costumes to wear. Believe it or not there are worse, less modest costumes than this out there, as I have had the unfortunate opportunity to run across at competitions (not in Utah).

FYI, for what its worth, at BYU competitions the standards require modest dance apparel ie- less "skin" showing. This would be typical standards for competitions in the Utah area.

http://byudancesport.com/index.cfm/show ... 0/page.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

mingano
captain of 1,000

Post by mingano »

karend77 wrote:Just a head's up....I know the girl's parents. They are wonderful people and active.
The mother said that the father didn't like her being the "hot tamale" but the she (the mother) thought that it was wonderful.
This is a costume and is a style of dress for Latin ballroom.....and she is on a tv show where she is given the costumes to wear.
In the partners dancing she has no choice, but she gets to choose what to wear for the solo performances. And she was acting SO sensual and slutty that even the judges asked her to tone it down.
FYI, for what its worth, at BYU competitions the standards require modest dance apparel ie- less "skin" showing. This would be typical standards for competitions in the Utah area.
She knows this, but still goes out of her way to choose immodesty.

AGalagaChiasmus
captain of 100

Post by AGalagaChiasmus »

ebenezerarise wrote:She is a poor representative of herself. Her mother and her father should talk to her first -- not her Bishop.
:ymapplause:

mingano
captain of 1,000

Post by mingano »

ldsfireguy wrote:If you go to a strio club, and see an "LDS" girl there, would you complain that she was "not wearing enough?"
I've never been in a strip club so I wouldn't know if the girls wear enough or not. I was, however, deeply offended at BYU's Cougarettes wearing fishnet stockings, sparkly pumps and doing pelvic thrusts on chairs during football games, but nobody else seemed to have a problem with that.

Andrew52
captain of 100

Post by Andrew52 »

mingano wrote:Warning - very slutty dress.

Using the term " Slutty Dress" speaks volumes about your attitude Mr. "mingano". Very dissapointing expression.

mingano
captain of 1,000

Post by mingano »

Andrew52 wrote:Using the term " Slutty Dress" speaks volumes about your attitude Mr. "mingano". Very dissapointing expression.
Oh, sorry... should I have described it as "perfectly within LDS standards and within the guidelines of For the Strength Of Youth"?

Andrew52
captain of 100

Post by Andrew52 »

mingano wrote:
Andrew52 wrote:Using the term " Slutty Dress" speaks volumes about your attitude Mr. "mingano". Very dissapointing expression.
Oh, sorry... should I have described it as "perfectly within LDS standards and within the guidelines of For the Strength Of Youth"?
Apology accepted. I do comprehend what you are trying to express in standards of apparel.
However, the judgmental attitude detracts from any true form of concern, as seen in posts prior to mine.

mingano
captain of 1,000

Post by mingano »

Andrew52 wrote:However, the judgmental attitude detracts from any true form concern, as seen in posts prior to mine.
See also http://speeches.byu.edu/?act=viewitem&id=576" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

mingano
captain of 1,000

Post by mingano »

BigD wrote:Mingano, you forgot to link to the one from Provo. Did you forget the link to her outfit because it was so much more conservative than that of the girl from American Fork?
Ew. I hadn't seen that photo. But I keep forgetting about the other TWO people from Utah county (Mormons seem to be disproportionately represented on this program) because they didn't start out their audition talking about how sexy they wanted to be.

Sariel
captain of 100

Post by Sariel »

This thread turned into judging someone for judging someone.

Fairminded
captain of 1,000

Post by Fairminded »

Azriel wrote:This thread turned into judging someone for judging someone.
In further news, water is wet.