The Fastest Way to Make Your Calling and Election Sure

For discussing the Church, Gospel of Jesus Christ, Mormonism, etc.
Alaris
Captain of 144,000

Re: The Fastest Way to Make Your Calling and Election Sure

Post by Alaris »

Amonhi wrote:
Kitkat wrote:
BruceRGilbert wrote:
Doctrine and Covenants 88:
68 Therefore, sanctify yourselves that your minds become single to God, and the days will come that you shall see him; for he will unveil his face unto you, and it shall be in his own time, and in his own way, and according to his own will.
"in his own time, in his own way, and according to his own will." How many trust God to allow Him to make the determination as to the time, the way, and will in which He will reveal Himself?

Many have been deceived by false spirits going forth unto the world and many have witnessed things that are not of God . . . because they sought for "signs" and manifestations. Many have been turned over to their own lusts.
I think this is a great point and worthy of discussion. How do you avoid being deceived?
Good Question! Here is a post from EvenTheLeastSaint that answers this...
EvenTheLeastSaint wrote:I will quote a scripture that tells us plainly, without equivocation, without leaving us with something that must be assumed to arrive at our conclusion, and leaving nothing to our own interpretation, this scripture tells us precisely what it is that we must follow. I don't know if anyone on this thread has quoted this scripture yet but if so it can't hurt to quote it again:

D&C 45:
56 And at that day, when I shall come in my glory, shall the parable be fulfilled which I spake concerning the ten virgins.
57 For they that are wise and have received the truth, and have taken the Holy Spirit for their guide, and have not been deceived -- verily I say unto you, they shall not be hewn down and cast into the fire, but shall abide the day.
58 And the earth shall be given unto them for an inheritance; and they shall multiply and wax strong, and their children shall grow up without sin unto salvation.
59 For the Lord shall be in their midst, and his glory shall be upon them, and he will be their king and their lawgiver.
This says we must take the Holy Spirit for a guide, not a man or men (arm of flesh), not an organization, but the Holy Spirit. Can anything be clearer than that? Can anyone point to scripture that in such unmistakeable words says we must "follow the prophet", or we must "take the prophet for a guide" or we will not receive the truth, and we will be deceived. These verses, in fact, tell us that if we take anything other than the Holy Spirit for a guide we WILL NOT receive the truth, and we WILL be deceived. So please find me scripture that says in these words "follow the prophet". I don't mean something that lets someone loosely overlay his or her own paradigm onto scripture; such as "Jacob followed Nephi's command THEREFORE we must always follow the prophet without question".

I have quoted something that Amonhi said above because it fits with the scripture that I quoted and it is a perfect explanation of why it is so critical that we take the Holy Spirit and nothing else for a guide. I hope he doesn't mind.
Amonhi wrote: ...
If you do not have oil in your lamp enough to guide yourself without relying on the light of others, then you will not be welcomed when the groom comes. You will not have a place in the Celestial Kingdom with the Gods. If you cannot hear the voice of the Lord and trust him, then you will not be accepted by him as his sheep and his church that worship in his name. It doesn't matter if you are baptized into the LDS Church or how well you follow the prophets and leaders of the church. What matters is how well you follow the spirit... How well you follow HIS Voice and His words... How well you " do all things whatsoever the Lord their God shall commands". If you place a man, any man even a prophet, above the spirit, and give that man more influence in your life than you give the spirit, then you have placed a man above God voice and God's voice is God's will.
Peace,
Amonhi
The Holy Spirit communicates to our souls - those who have received testimony of the spirit have effectively awakened a 6th sense that is more powerful than any of the other 5 senses. Prophets may reveal truth and direction - but neither truth nor direction will profit us if we do not have an active relationship with the Holy Ghost that we may use the term "guide" to define said relationship. That does not reduce the importance of the role of the Prophet, but increases the importance of the relationship with the Spirit.

EDIT:

As you hone and develop this relationship, I believe it would be very difficult for the adversary to pop in and emulate communion with the Holy Spirit.

Serve
Hi, I'm new.

Post by Serve »

We are all deceived there is only one that was not deceived the Savior if we listen to the prophets to guide us and let the spirit testify of the truth then we will be on the right path how do you no the difference from the deception of Satan and the spirit except you put out rules to know the difference Saran claims to be the Gid of this land so he is going to protray the spirit as much as he can and some of the very elect will be deceived all but three witnesses of the Book of Mormon was deceived and the list goes on if you do not think you can be deceived then you are all ready deceived rule number one the prophet cannot lead us asrtray if he attempts to he will die this was a rule determined in the preexsistance just like the spirt of the lord will have a form of a dove these cannot be altered by Satan

Amonhi
captain of 1,000

Post by Amonhi »

bump

Finrock
captain of 1,000

Post by Finrock »

Serve wrote:We are all deceived there is only one that was not deceived the Savior if we listen to the prophets to guide us and let the spirit testify of the truth then we will be on the right path how do you no the difference from the deception of Satan and the spirit except you put out rules to know the difference Saran claims to be the Gid of this land so he is going to protray the spirit as much as he can and some of the very elect will be deceived all but three witnesses of the Book of Mormon was deceived and the list goes on if you do not think you can be deceived then you are all ready deceived rule number one the prophet cannot lead us asrtray if he attempts to he will die this was a rule determined in the preexsistance just like the spirt of the lord will have a form of a dove these cannot be altered by Satan
And yet we have examples of prophets leading us astray and not dying. Brigham Young taught doctrine that has now been denounced. Millions of individuals believed BY's false doctrine. He continued to be the leader of the Mormon Church. He did not die even though BY taught false doctrine. That's just one example.

Your theory has too many exceptions, special rules, and contradictions to be reliable.

The Spirit matters most. It is a tough road. A lonely road. It requires eternal vigilance; guts, strength, and courage to obey the Spirit no matter what.

-Finrock

Amonhi
captain of 1,000

Post by Amonhi »

bump

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

Serve wrote:We are all deceived. There is only one that was not deceived, the Savior. If we listen to the prophets to guide us and let the spirit testify of the truth then we will be on the right path. How do you know the difference from the deception of Satan and the spirit, except you put out rules to know the difference? Satan claims to be the God of this land, so he is going to portray the spirit as much as he can and some of the very elect will be deceived. All but three witnesses of the Book of Mormon were deceived and the list goes on. If you do not think you can be deceived then you are all ready deceived. Rule number one, the prophet cannot lead us astray. If he attempts to he will die. This was a rule determined in the preexistence just like the spirit of the lord will have a form of a dove. These cannot be altered by Satan
Not to insult, rather, to bring out clarity of thought and understanding.

Which of these following two statements is the correct one?
We are all deceived.
If you do not think you can be deceived then you are all ready deceived.

the spirit of the lord will have a form of a dove. Is this what you mean to say?

Dove, sign of

A prearranged means by which John the Baptist would recognize the Messiah at Jesus’ baptism (John 1:32–34). “The sign of the dove was instituted before the creation of the world, a witness for the Holy Ghost, and the devil cannot come in the sign of a dove. … The sign of a dove was given to John to signify the truth of the deed, as the dove is an emblem or token of truth and innocence” (Joseph Smith, HC 5:261). See 1 Ne. 11:27; 2 Ne. 31:8; D&C
93:15; Abr., fac. 2, fig. 7. Though we usually associate the sign of the dove with John the Baptist, from the latter reference we learn that it was manifested to Abraham also. We suppose that it has been similarly made known to other prophets on occasion since the time of Adam.

Holy Ghost, Dove, Sign of

Spirit of God descending like a dove: Matt. 3:16 . ( Mark 1:10 ; Luke 3:22 ; John 1:32 . )

abide upon him in the form of a dove: 1 Ne. 11:27 .
Holy Ghost descended upon him in the form of a dove: 2 Ne. 31:8 . ( D&C 93:15 . )

sign of the Holy Ghost … in the form of a dove: Abr., fac. 2, fig. 7 .

seekingtruth
captain of 50

Post by seekingtruth »

Amonhi, thank you for this thread :ymhug:

I've been giving it the side eye for a while seeing how there's almost 50 pages and didn't want to commit the time but I'm so thankful that I finally did! The spirit has brought to my attention many gems shared by you and others throughout this thread that the fire in my belly has been lit to work out my salvation with the Lord as fast as I'm able!

Amonhi
captain of 1,000

Post by Amonhi »

Seeking truth, :ymhug: You are so welcome. I wrote this just for you, so I am glad you enjoyed it! ;)

I just got another PM today from another member of this forum that received a confirmation that they have their C&E made sure. It is so exciting to get those. I am sure to tell them to go back to the Lord in prayer again and again asking for answers to their questions, guidance and direction. In the temple we speak with the Lord through the veil until we are brought back into His presence. That is what we are doing here.

The blessings given or pronounced in the temple endowment which are the name of the second sign of the Melchizedek Priesthood are perfectly matched up to the blessings received with our calling and election. We cannot get the name of sign from anyone except directly from the Lord through the veil. Once we have the blessing, IF we continue to converse with the Lord through the veil, the veil will become thinner and thinner until it is removed entirely.

I wanted to make a different point on this post.

There are a number of people who disagree with this process provided in this thread which claims to be the fastest way from where ever you are in your progression to making your calling and election sure. Essentially they tell people NOT to pray to God for a witness of the truth of their standing before God or personalized direction from God so they can know exactly what God says they are lacking.

If a person can pray to know if the church is true, and they can expect to get a reliable answer they can trust, then can a person pray to know if they have their calling and election made sure and get a reliable answer the same way? What do you think?

Moroni's promise says,
4 And when ye shall receive these things, I would exhort you that ye would ask God, the Eternal Father, in the name of Christ, if these things are not true; and if ye shall ask with a sincere heart, with real intent, having faith in Christ, he will manifest the truth of it unto you, by the power of the Holy Ghost.

5 And by the power of the Holy Ghost ye may know the truth of all things. - Moroni 10
Don't you think that if you can't trust this process, then you can't trust the process by which you know the book of Mormon is true and the process by which you know the church is true...

To deny the process recommended in this thread is to deny the process used to gain a witness of so many things. How can a person say that the process can work to gain a witness of the church but not a witness of your own standing before God.

Peace,
Amonhi

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Post by marc »

I would like to share a very brief part of my experience.

I had first learned about this principle on my mission back in the late 80s. Over time the Lord prepared me to make sacrifices and learn what all this meant. On October 19, 2016, after obeying the Lord and testifying to a coworker the things the Lord put into my mouth, on my way to my car in the parking lot after work, as I pondered everything that had just happened, the Lord interrupted my thoughts and spoke to me saying, "today, I covenant with thee thou shalt have eternal life." When I heard this, my heart suddenly felt so much joy and peace that it felt like it would leap out of my chest and soar through the sky. That's the only way I know how to describe how I felt.
"Now, there is some grand secret here, and keys to unlock the subject. Notwithstanding the apostle exhorts them to add to their faith, virtue, knowledge, temperance, etc., yet he exhorts them to make their calling and election sure. And though they had heard an audible voice from heaven bearing testimony that Jesus was the Son of God, yet he says we have a more sure word of prophecy, whereunto ye do well that ye take heed as unto a light shining in a dark place. Now, wherein could they have a more sure word of prophecy than to hear the voice of God saying, This is my beloved Son?

Now for the secret and grand key. Though they might hear the voice of God and know that Jesus was the Son of God, this would be no evidence that their calling and election was made sure, that they were sealed in the heavens and had the promise of eternal life in the kingdom of God. Then, having this promised sealed unto them, it was an anchor to the soul, sure and steadfast. Though the thunders might roll and lightnings flash, and earthquakes bellow, and war gather thick around, yet this hope and knowledge would support the soul in every hour of trial, trouble and tribulation. Then knowledge through our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ is the grand key that unlocks the glories and mysteries of the kingdom of heaven. – Joseph Smith, TPJS p. 298
About five years ago in prayer to the Lord about this matter, I felt the Spirit confirm my desires, and I had mistaken this for the event. It wasn't until the Lord spoke last October to me that I gained that knowledge; that anchor to my soul, sure and steadfast.

Amonhi
captain of 1,000

Post by Amonhi »

marc wrote:I would like to share a very brief part of my experience.

I had first learned about this principle on my mission back in the late 80s. Over time the Lord prepared me to make sacrifices and learn what all this meant. On October 19, 2016, after obeying the Lord and testifying to a coworker the things the Lord put into my mouth, on my way to my car in the parking lot after work, as I pondered everything that had just happened, the Lord interrupted my thoughts and spoke to me saying, "today, I covenant with thee thou shalt have eternal life." When I heard this, my heart suddenly felt so much joy and peace that it felt like it would leap out of my chest and soar through the sky. That's the only way I know how to describe how I felt.
"Now, there is some grand secret here, and keys to unlock the subject. Notwithstanding the apostle exhorts them to add to their faith, virtue, knowledge, temperance, etc., yet he exhorts them to make their calling and election sure. And though they had heard an audible voice from heaven bearing testimony that Jesus was the Son of God, yet he says we have a more sure word of prophecy, whereunto ye do well that ye take heed as unto a light shining in a dark place. Now, wherein could they have a more sure word of prophecy than to hear the voice of God saying, This is my beloved Son?

Now for the secret and grand key. Though they might hear the voice of God and know that Jesus was the Son of God, this would be no evidence that their calling and election was made sure, that they were sealed in the heavens and had the promise of eternal life in the kingdom of God. Then, having this promised sealed unto them, it was an anchor to the soul, sure and steadfast. Though the thunders might roll and lightnings flash, and earthquakes bellow, and war gather thick around, yet this hope and knowledge would support the soul in every hour of trial, trouble and tribulation. Then knowledge through our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ is the grand key that unlocks the glories and mysteries of the kingdom of heaven. – Joseph Smith, TPJS p. 298
About five years ago in prayer to the Lord about this matter, I felt the Spirit confirm my desires, and I had mistaken this for the event. It wasn't until the Lord spoke last October to me that I gained that knowledge; that anchor to my soul, sure and steadfast.
This was beautiful! Thank you for sharing such a personal experience!

I know that a number of people, including Joseph Smith as documented in the D&C, receive the promise or have it reconfirmed multiple times. I was talking to someone the other day who had received the promise and wrote it in their journal along with the specific words given to them by the Lord and then again 2 months later they were given the promise again. They didn't recognize it the first time and could hardly believe it the second time, so they studied on the subject for a week and concluded that the wording, just like the ones given to you could have no other meaning than the promise. At the moment that they accepted the promise, they got another witness and were filled with the same feelings you seem to be expressing in your story. They were filled with the spirit and said, "I felt like I was floating off the ground!" They felt gratitude and thanked and praised God. Everything was bright like it was glowing. But the promise was given 2 months before, and again and it wasn't until they fully received it that it was completed and they had the experience or rejoicing.

I know others who ask the question and get the answer and begin crying and rejoicing and are filled with the spirit right there and the heavens are opened and they commune with the Lord and hear his voice.

We each travel a different path because we each come from a different starting point, with different weaknesses and different challenges. The Lord knows us and our needs and the fastest path from where we are to were we want to go. If we can trust in Him and His direction, then we can travel that path guided by His knowing hand.

If we cannot trust him and allow Him to guide us, then I do not know if we can ever make our calling and election sure.

I take notice, that you (Marc), were speaking the words of the Lord as inspired by the Holy Ghost. You were speaking for the Lord to your coworker and I have no doubt that your words touched them and they felt the spirit of your message. You were in tune with the Spirit and perfectly ready to receive the word of the Lord to you directly. The promise must be sealed by the Holy Spirit and so we must be close to the spirit to receive the promise and have it sealed.

Again, thank you Marc for sharing your experience. I hope that it will bless the lives of many.

Peace,
Amonhi

BruceRGilbert
captain of 1,000

Post by BruceRGilbert »

BruceRGilbert wrote:
Doctrine and Covenants 88:
68 Therefore, sanctify yourselves that your minds become single to God, and the days will come that you shall see him; for he will unveil his face unto you, and it shall be in his own time, and in his own way, and according to his own will.
"in his own time, in his own way, and according to his own will." How many trust God to allow Him to make the determination as to the time, the way, and will in which He will reveal Himself?

Many have been deceived by false spirits going forth unto the world and many have w itnessed things that are not of God . . . because they sought for "signs" and manifestations. Many have been turned over to their own lusts.
There are two phases to having one's Calling and Election Made Sure as evidenced / witnessed in the Life of the Savior. The first phase is having the "more sure word of prophecy" in the form of receiving the "promise" which essentially consists of hearing your name and receiving a promise of eternal life - knowing of your approval in the sight of God by prophecy / revelation. (It is important to recognize that prophecy is a "subset" of revelation as it pertains to the "future.") This event occurred in the Life of the Savior in the following event:
Matthew 3:
13 Then cometh Jesus from Galilee to Jordan unto John, to be baptized of him.
14 But John forbad him, saying, I have need to be baptized of thee, and comest thou to me?
15 And Jesus answering said unto him, Suffer it to be so now: for thus it becometh us to fulfil all righteousness. Then he suffered him.
16 And Jesus, when he was baptized, went up straightway out of the water: and, lo, the heavens were opened unto him, and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove, and lighting upon him:
17 And lo a voice from heaven, saying, This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased.
Note: It was after this time that the Savior was tried and tempted in the wilderness by Satan prior to beginning His ministry - which should illustrate a pattern that has been given. The "more sure word of prophecy" is NOT an indication that you have arrived as many have presumed and it is dangerous to believe so.

The Second Phase to having one's Calling and Election Made Sure, again witnessed in the Life of the Savior, is in the actual fulfillment of the promise and the reception of the "fulness of the Priestnood" with the conveyance of the associated keys and power; thereof. This event occurred in the Life of the Savior in the following event:
Matthew 17:
1 And after six days Jesus taketh Peter, James, and John his brother, and bringeth them up into an high mountain apart,
2 And was transfigured before them: and his face did shine as the sun, and his raiment was white as the light.
3 And, behold, there appeared unto them Moses and *Elias (Elijah) talking with him.
4 Then answered Peter, and said unto Jesus, Lord, it is good for us to be here: if thou wilt, let us make here three tabernacles; one for thee, and one for Moses, and one for Elias.
5 While he yet spake, behold, a bright cloud overshadowed them: and behold a voice out of the cloud, which said, This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased; hear ye him.
I believe that it was at this event that Peter, James and John received their "Promise;" however, they did not receive the fulness. They witnessed the Savior receive it. After this event, they received - according to the account - the power to bind on earth and in heaven, as evidenced by the following reference:
Matthew 18:
18 Verily I say unto you, Whatsoever ye shall bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever ye shall loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.
As can be observed, there are very strong parallels which occurred in the life of the Prophet Joseph Smith. He, also, received a fulness as evidenced by the visitation in the Kirkland Temple.

Juliet
captain of 1,000

Post by Juliet »

Serve wrote:We are all deceived there is only one that was not deceived the Savior if we listen to the prophets to guide us and let the spirit testify of the truth then we will be on the right path how do you no the difference from the deception of Satan and the spirit except you put out rules to know the difference Saran claims to be the Gid of this land so he is going to protray the spirit as much as he can and some of the very elect will be deceived all but three witnesses of the Book of Mormon was deceived and the list goes on if you do not think you can be deceived then you are all ready deceived rule number one the prophet cannot lead us asrtray if he attempts to he will die this was a rule determined in the preexsistance just like the spirt of the lord will have a form of a dove these cannot be altered by Satan
One thing I recognize is the Holy Spirit entices me to do good things for the right reason, and rewards me with peaceful warm feelings. It feels good to be in the service of God, even in the small things. It may sound sad, but some of the most peaceful spiritual moments in my life have come while I was sweeping the floor or scrubbing a counter, giving someone my attention instead of just walking by, those little things add up and make prompting easier to hear. I think that is what Jesus did also, He sought to serve His Father. If we do that too, we can build our relationship because we are serving with the Lord. I think those small and simple things we do make a difference to the level of the Holy Spirit we have in our lives.

Contemplator
captain of 100

Post by Contemplator »

Joseph Smith, talking about 2 Peter 1, said that it is one thing to hear the voice of the Father declaring that Jesus is God (as Peter, James and John did on the mount) and another to that you have been made a joint heir with Jesus Christ.
TPJS, p.298

Now, there is some grand secret here, and keys to unlock the subject. Notwithstanding the apostle exhorts them to add to their faith, virtue, knowledge, temperance, etc., yet he exhorts them to make their calling and election sure. And though they had heard an audible voice from heaven bearing testimony that Jesus was the Son of God, yet he says we have a more sure word of prophecy, whereunto ye do well that ye take heed as unto a light shining in a dark place. Now, wherein could they have a more sure word of prophecy than to hear the voice of God saying, This is my beloved Son.

Now for the secret and grand key. Though they might hear the voice of God and know that Jesus was the Son of God, this would be no evidence that their election and calling was made sure, that they had part with Christ, and were joint heir with him. They then would want that more sure word of prophecy, that they were sealed in the heavens and had the promise of eternal life in the kingdom of God. Then, having this promise sealed unto them, it was an anchor to the soul, sure and steadfast. Though the thunders might roll and lightnings flash, and earthquakes bellow, and war gather thick around, yet this hope and knowledge would support the soul in every hour of trial, trouble and tribulation. Then knowledge through our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ is the grand key that unlocks the glories and mysteries of the kingdom of heaven.

Compare this principle once with Christendom at the present day, and where are they, with all their boasted religion, piety and sacredness while at the same time they are crying out against prophets, apostles, angels, revelations, prophesying and visions, etc. Why, they are just ripening for the damnation of hell. They will be damned, for they reject the most glorious principles of the Gospel of Jesus Christ and treat with disdain and trample under foot the key that unlocks the heavens and puts in our possession the glories of the celestial world. Yes, I say, such will be damned, with all their professed godliness. Then I would exhort you to go on and continue to call upon God until you make your calling and election surer for yourselves, by obtaining this more sure word of prophecy, and wait patiently for the promise until you obtain it, etc.
Whatever you may think of the OP, Joseph says, "continue to call upon God until you make your calling and election surer for yourselves, by obtaining this more sure word of prophecy." And, as for the speed with which this will happen, we are to ask, seek, and know and, "wait patiently for the promise until you obtain it."

God has invited us to seek, promised us the blessing, and we can count on it according to His timing. But, according to Joseph and Peter, we are to ask and seek. Without that, it may never happen because God honors our agency and will not force it upon us.

Finrock
captain of 1,000

Post by Finrock »

Contemplator wrote:Joseph Smith, talking about 2 Peter 1, said that it is one thing to hear the voice of the Father declaring that Jesus is God (as Peter, James and John did on the mount) and another to that you have been made a joint heir with Jesus Christ.
TPJS, p.298

Now, there is some grand secret here, and keys to unlock the subject. Notwithstanding the apostle exhorts them to add to their faith, virtue, knowledge, temperance, etc., yet he exhorts them to make their calling and election sure. And though they had heard an audible voice from heaven bearing testimony that Jesus was the Son of God, yet he says we have a more sure word of prophecy, whereunto ye do well that ye take heed as unto a light shining in a dark place. Now, wherein could they have a more sure word of prophecy than to hear the voice of God saying, This is my beloved Son.

Now for the secret and grand key. Though they might hear the voice of God and know that Jesus was the Son of God, this would be no evidence that their election and calling was made sure, that they had part with Christ, and were joint heir with him. They then would want that more sure word of prophecy, that they were sealed in the heavens and had the promise of eternal life in the kingdom of God. Then, having this promise sealed unto them, it was an anchor to the soul, sure and steadfast. Though the thunders might roll and lightnings flash, and earthquakes bellow, and war gather thick around, yet this hope and knowledge would support the soul in every hour of trial, trouble and tribulation. Then knowledge through our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ is the grand key that unlocks the glories and mysteries of the kingdom of heaven.

Compare this principle once with Christendom at the present day, and where are they, with all their boasted religion, piety and sacredness while at the same time they are crying out against prophets, apostles, angels, revelations, prophesying and visions, etc. Why, they are just ripening for the damnation of hell. They will be damned, for they reject the most glorious principles of the Gospel of Jesus Christ and treat with disdain and trample under foot the key that unlocks the heavens and puts in our possession the glories of the celestial world. Yes, I say, such will be damned, with all their professed godliness. Then I would exhort you to go on and continue to call upon God until you make your calling and election surer for yourselves, by obtaining this more sure word of prophecy, and wait patiently for the promise until you obtain it, etc.
Whatever you may think of the OP, Joseph says, "continue to call upon God until you make your calling and election surer for yourselves, by obtaining this more sure word of prophecy." And, as for the speed with which this will happen, we are to ask, seek, and know and, "wait patiently for the promise until you obtain it."

God has invited us to seek, promised us the blessing, and we can count on it according to His timing. But, according to Joseph and Peter, we are to ask and seek. Without that, it may never happen because God honors our agency and will not force it upon us.
Us asking and seeking demonstrates that we are willing to believe. Much of what we receive in the gospel comes down to us just believing. Believing that it is possible. Believing that we can obtain it. Believing the promptings and thoughts placed in our mind. Believing Jesus Christ. If we believe that we must strive and endure until the end of our lives to obtain this blessing or if we don't believe we will ever receive this blessing, then that is exactly what will probably happen. For the most part, what we believe is what we obtain.

-Finrock

Finrock
captain of 1,000

Post by Finrock »

Amaleki wrote in the book of Omni:
Omni wrote:25 And it came to pass that I began to be old; and, having no seed, and knowing king Benjamin to be a just man before the Lord, wherefore, I shall deliver up these plates unto him, exhorting all men to come unto God, the Holy One of Israel, and believe in prophesying, and in revelations, and in the ministering of angels, and in the gift of speaking with tongues, and in the gift of interpreting languages, and in all things which are good; for there is nothing which is good save it comes from the Lord: and that which is evil cometh from the devil.
He exhorts us to come unto God and to believe in prophesying, to believe in revelations, to believe in the ministering of angels, to believe in the gift of speaking with tongues, to believe in the gift of interpreting languages, and to believe in all things which are good. He adds the emphasis that we need not fear believing in things that are good, for there is nothing which is good save it comes from the Lord.

We are exhorted to believe in our calling and election to be made sure because it is good and because it is good it comes from the Lord. We don't need to fear it or treat it as if it were evil, unattainable, undesirable, or somehow a thing that is for other men and women but not for us.

-Finrock

BruceRGilbert
captain of 1,000

Post by BruceRGilbert »

Finrock wrote: We are exhorted to believe in our calling and election to be made sure because it is good and because it is good it comes from the Lord. We don't need to fear it or treat it as if it were evil, unattainable, undesirable, or somehow a thing that is for other men and women but not for us.

-Finrock
. . . And once obtained, it is not something that should be flaunted in a way to brandish further "authority, self-agrandizement, or credibility" in the eyes of others. It doesn't belong on a "resume." Such things ought to be evident without proclamation by virtue of demeanor, behavior, and respect for other intelligences. It is the "silent" witness, integrity, and demeanor that engenders confidence "within" and subsequently "without."

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

BruceRGilbert wrote:
Finrock wrote: We are exhorted to believe in our calling and election to be made sure because it is good and because it is good it comes from the Lord. We don't need to fear it or treat it as if it were evil, unattainable, undesirable, or somehow a thing that is for other men and women but not for us.

-Finrock
. . . And once obtained, it is not something that should be flaunted in a way to brandish further "authority, self-aggrandizement, or credibility" in the eyes of others. It doesn't belong on a "resume." Such things ought to be evident without proclamation by virtue of demeanor, behavior, and respect for other intelligences. It is the "silent" witness, integrity, and demeanor that engenders confidence "within" and subsequently "without."
Like raising it up as if one just got awarded a trophy to be shown to those all around, and exclaiming "look at what I just received." Something to do with casting pearls......

Silver Pie
seeker after Christ

Post by Silver Pie »

bump

Durzan
The Lord's Trusty Maverick

Post by Durzan »

Take a bullet for God.

Amonhi
captain of 1,000

Post by Amonhi »

Bump...

Alaris
Captain of 144,000

Post by Alaris »

Can we change the name of this thread to "The quick and easy path to having your calling and election made sure?"
Last edited by Alaris on August 8th, 2019, 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jesef
captain of 1,000

Post by Jesef »

Amonhi, the purpose of eternal progression/evolution is to spiritually grow up, to ascend, to become/increase-to-infinite LOVE (Good/Light/Peace/Joy/Help/etc) & to un-become/reduce-to-zero FEAR (Evil/Dark/Threat/Misery/Harm/etc). So, besides "feeling safe", what is the significance & criticality of "making your calling & election sure" in the grand scheme of things? And what do other religions call this same "process" ("calling & election made sure" being an almost exclusively LDS/Joseph-Smith term)? I hope you'll be candid & not worry about ruffling orthodox feathers here. Thanks.

Amonhi
captain of 1,000

Post by Amonhi »

Jesef wrote: August 8th, 2019, 4:39 pm Amonhi, the purpose of eternal progression/evolution is to spiritually grow up, to ascend, to become/increase-to-infinite LOVE (Good/Light/Peace/Joy/Help/etc) & to un-become/reduce-to-zero FEAR (Evil/Dark/Threat/Misery/Harm/etc). So, besides "feeling safe", what is the significance & criticality of "making your calling & election sure" in the grand scheme of things? And what do other religions call this same "process" ("calling & election made sure" being an almost exclusively LDS/Joseph-Smith term)? I hope you'll be candid & not worry about ruffling orthodox feathers here. Thanks.
Calling and Election is the baptismal ordinance into the Church of the Firstborn and Celestial kingdom. It happens when a person is sealed up to eternal life by the Holy Spirit of Promise. God essentially makes a promise and a covenant to you that you will be exalted. If God breaks that promise, then God ceases to be God. It is the end of your probation. Not the end of your growth and learning. You are no longer being tested to see if you will choose good or bad, but the acceptance that you have chosen good (as best you know, and will continue to do so).

Salvation comes when we accept Christ and commit to doing good (repent of all your sins). When we make this commitment, we enter the gate and receive the gift of the Holy Ghost as a reward. We are now on the path that leads to eternal life. We walk the path that leads to eternal life BY FOLLOWING the Holy Ghost which shows us the path. Without the Holy Ghost, we cannot see the path, which is why we aren't on the path that leads to eternal life until we receive the Holy Ghost. The Holy Ghost teaches us all things and while we walk this path, there is no other doctrine that applies to us accept follow the Holy Ghost. The Holy Ghost is the voice of God. by following it, we are following God. We come to know God by our interactions with God.

When God has instructed us sufficiently and we have learned to be God-like to a sufficient degree, God will say to us, "Thou shalt have eternal life" or some other such promise that indicates our place in eternity is certain. That is when our calling and election is made sure. Now we are prepared for the Second Comforter which is added to the First Comforter. The Second Comforter is the presence of Christ in addition to the Holy Ghost. You are now a member of the spiritual Church of the Firstborn and enabled to attend meetings in the spirit. (This does not mean that everyone who has their calling and election made sure is active in the Church of the Firstborn, only that they can be if they learn how to attend in the spirit.

All the blessings of eternity are theirs and those few blessings that cannot be given presently are promised, for example, resurrection with the just in the first resurrection, rulers with Christ during the millennium, the sealing power (not the power to seal families in the temple using symbolic ordinances show possible blessings, but the power to entreat the elements and plants and animals to work with you as described in Hel. 10). All things are theirs and like learning to recognize and follow the spirit, they learn to receive all things.

The Church of the firstborn holds meetings to discuss local world events and plans, people receive callings and power to fulfill them. Members receive callings or assignments that are independent of the LDS organization and unbounded by geological areas. If they are active members, they are taught the mysteries of God and how to be Gods. They are shown the principles by which the powers of heaven operate. They are brought to the spiritual New Jerusalem and other Holy places, to learn, develop and grow. Their instructors are Gods, Christ, Angels, Prophets like the Budda, Isaiah, and even prophets we don't have records of. They are able to learn all things by revelation and vision including sciences, histories, philosophies, music, arts, governments, and most especially morality. For them, eternity begins now and they are enabled to progress faster than they could have previously imagined, (if they seek to do so).

I speak from direct personal experience regarding what I know is possible. I also have been told that there are many possibilities that I have not yet learned.

Peace,
Amonhi

Jesef
captain of 1,000

Post by Jesef »

Do we only live once upon this earth or do we re-incarnate (keep coming back as different human beings, along the same timeline) to keep learning & growing? i.e. Is it "one & done" or "multiple mortal lives"?

Silver Pie
seeker after Christ

Post by Silver Pie »

Or do we incarnate over and over again, but on different planets in a linear fashion, meaning that we get one turn on this planet. When this planet is gone we'll get a chance on another planet, and so on.