How did Adam and Eve's children populate the earth?

For discussing the Church, Gospel of Jesus Christ, Mormonism, etc.
Kingdom of ZION
captain of 1,000

Re: How did Adam and Eve's children populate the earth?

Post by Kingdom of ZION »

HeirofNumenor wrote:Maybe I am wrong in this, but I didn't get the vibe that Awake hates polygamy per se, as much is rejecting KOZ's argument that Adam had multiple wives...

Basing your doctrinal position on commentary from the Talmud & Mishna, or any other Rabbinical writings in an attempt to provide evidence on doctrinal matters where there is a clear absence of canonized scripture or of apostolic teachings is a sure way to drift off course...
Hey HeirofNumenor,

For your information I have never once quoted from the Talmud or the Mishnah or any other Rabbinical writings... that would be like me quoting the Ensign, New Era, Friend or Liahona as doctrine! It would be like taking Church manuals, canonizing them and then adding them to the D&C. The quote I gave was from a talk given in the Tabernacle by an Henry W. Naisbitt:

"The Scriptures give an account simply of the woman Eve; declaring that this name was given her of Adam, because she was "the mother of all living;" but outside of biblical record there has been handed down from time immemorial the idea that Adam had two wives, the narrators go so far, or rather so near perfecting the tradition so as to give their names, Lilith being said to be the name of one as Eve was the name of the other, and while it may be difficult to harmonize all the Rabbinical and Talmudic versions of this matter, it is said that Joseph Smith the Prophet taught that Adam had two wives." Journal of Discourses, vol. 26, DISCOURSE BY ELDER HENRY W. NAISBITT, Delivered in the Tabernacle, Salt Lake City, Utah
Sunday Afternoon, March 8, 1885.

For your information...

LDS Biographical Encyclopedia, Andrew Jenson, Vol. 3, p.175
Naisbitt, Henry W., a prominent Elder in the Church, was born Nov. 7, 1826, in the village of North Allerton, England, the son of John Naisbitt and Martha Neede. His parents were religious people; his father, being very zealous, left impressions upon his son never afterwards destroyed. The father died when Henry was a lad, and the boy had to help the widowed mother to the neglect of schooling. Being of a mechanical turn of mind, he was apprenticed to a man who was skilled in the making of copper kettles from the solid metal. Leaving this he learned how to make silk hats and later learned the carpenter's trade. From the carpenter's bench he went into the grocery business, at which he spent his remaining years while in England. From his early youth Henry W. Naisbitt had a great love for reading, especially was he fond of reading religious books. In 1850 he became a convert to "Mormonism" and emigrated to America with his wife in [p.176] 1854. After his arrival in Utah he became associated with Wm. Jennings in business. In 1876-78 he filled a mission to Great Britain where he labored principally as assistant editor of the "Millennial Star." Upon his return to Utah he took up his labors in Z. C. M. I., Salt Lake City, and became universally known as one of the expounders of "Mormonism" in the large tabernacle meetings in Salt Lake City. He also wrote for the newspapers and magazines. In 1898-1901 he filled another mission to Great Britain, this time acting as a counselor to Pres. Platte D. Lyman in the presidency of the European Mission. Elder Naisbitt was 72 years of age when he went on this last mission. His almost fifty years of study and his faithful living of the principles of the gospel marked him a superior man. Not only was he an able speaker and an able writer of prose, but he also exhibited great skill in writing poetry, and in 1901 published a book of poems entitled "Rhymelets in Many Moods." After a well spent life he passed to his final rest Feb. 26, 1908. During his lifetime Elder Nalsbitt married five wives. His first wife was Elizabeth Paul, whom he married in England Dec. 24, 1853; she emigrated to Utah with her husband in 1854 and after bearing her husband eight children died March 17, 1869, in Salt Lake City. He married his second wife, Mary Ann Luff, in October, 1862; she became the mother of six children and died April 5, 1877. His third wife was Catherine Hagell whom he married April 13, 1867; she crossed the plains with ox-teams in 1865, passed through many hardships before reaching Utah, and afterwards became the mother of eight children. Elder Naisbitt married Elizabeth Irvine April 13, 1870; she bore her husband five children. His fifth wife was Frances Hurst, who was married to him in 1879 and became the mother of four children.

He had many talks recorded throughout the J of D, and was not the kind of person to make idle statements about Joseph Smith. If you think he had some hidden agenda to popularize some undocumented doctrine, to elevate himself in the eye of his peers or some other off the wall notion... that this side note he made in one talk that was taken from common knowledge of things JS taught a few brethren privately, was a lie, your going to have to find a whole lot more evidence to the contrary then I have presented here!

Shalom

gdemetz
captain of 100

Post by gdemetz »

Thank you Luke Air for presenting all those statements shooting down the Catholic dark ages false concept of the so called "virgin birth!" A significant number of our prophets have taught that that was a false doctrine. They have taught instead that it was a natural conception in all aspects. I also believe that Mary was sealed to Heavenly Father as has also been taught. Concerning polygamy, it is also been taught as a higher law of the celestial kingdom. In fact, it has also been taught that it will commence again just prior to the millennium (see Isaiah 4:1, or the last verse of chapter 3 in the JST and "Mormon Doctrine," Polygamy").

HeirofNumenor
the Heir Of Numenor

Post by HeirofNumenor »

For your information I have never once quoted from the Talmud or the Mishnah or any other Rabbinical writings... The quote I gave was from a talk given in the Tabernacle by an Henry W. Naisbitt:

"The Scriptures give an account simply of the woman Eve; declaring that this name was given her of Adam, because she was "the mother of all living;" but outside of biblical record there has been handed down from time immemorial the idea that Adam had two wives, the narrators go so far, or rather so near perfecting the tradition so as to give their names, Lilith being said to be the name of one as Eve was the name of the other, and while it may be difficult to harmonize all the Rabbinical and Talmudic versions of this matter, it is said that Joseph Smith the Prophet taught that Adam had two wives." Journal of Discourses, vol. 26, DISCOURSE BY ELDER HENRY W. NAISBITT, Delivered in the Tabernacle, Salt Lake City, Utah
Sunday Afternoon, March 8, 1885.
My bad.. I saw the Elder Nasbitt discourse info - part of which was broken and on a separate line-, and to me it looked like a separate paragraph/topic... I apologize for my mis-reading your quote...

DouglasAHSBarahona
Hi, I'm new.

Post by DouglasAHSBarahona »

Mi Opinion...
I believe the scriptures are fantastic answering and giving some light to this subject!
Questions...
Is the Law of Plural Marriage temporal or Eternal?
Telestial or Celestial?
From where on this Earth Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, Moses, and others obtain the law?
Do they copy somebody before them? or they were instructed from somebody in authority to live it?

Moses 1:34 and 4:26 (Pearl of Great Price)

Kingdom of ZION
captain of 1,000

Post by Kingdom of ZION »

DouglasAHSBarahona wrote: May 2nd, 2017, 2:47 am Mi Opinion...
I believe the scriptures are fantastic answering and giving some light to this subject!

Agreed... however when you read allegories and parables, you have to look beyond the words to see what actually happened in the Garden and what the kingdom of G_d is like. Brigham Young spoke about it being Nursery Tales and that you have to leave the nursery and grow up to understand what actually happened. And he went on to say that he had left the nursery.

Questions...
Is the Law of Plural Marriage temporal or Eternal? Telestial or Celestial?

D&C 132 makes it clear that CPM (Celestial Plural Marriage) is His Law. That only those thus joined shall be Eternal united, for He says any joined without His authority shall not remain together after this life.

The 1886 Revelation by John Talor makes it absolutely clear what the Father's opinion was upon CPM being an eternal principle.

REVELATION OF SEPTEMBER 26, 1886
Given Through John Taylor
Centerville, Utah

REVELATION given through President John Taylor on September 26, 1886 in Centerville, Utah. Everlasting covenants stand forever and are not revoked. Men to use their free agency pertaining to God's laws.

1. "My Son John: You have asked me concerning the New and Everlasting Covenant and how far it is binding upon my people;

2. "Thus saith the Lord: All commandments that I give must be obeyed by those calling themselves by my name, unless they are revoked by me or by my authority, and how can I revoke an everlasting covenant;

3. "For I the Lord am everlasting and my everlasting covenants cannot be abrogated, nor done away with, but they stand forever.

4. "Have I not given my word in great plainness on this subject?

5. "Yet have not great numbers of my people been negligent in the observance of my laws and the keeping of my commandments, and yet have I borne with them these many years; and this because of their weakness, because of the
perilous times, and furthermore, it is more pleasing to me that men should use their free agency in regards to these matters.

6. "Nevertheless, I the Lord do not change and my word and my covenants and my law do not,

7. "And as I have heretofore said by my servant Joseph: All those who would enter into my glory must and shall obey my law.

8. "And have I not commanded men that if they were Abraham's seed and would enter into my glory, they must do the works of Abraham?

9. "I have not revoked this law, NOR WILL I, for it is everlasting, and those who will enter into my glory must obey the conditions thereof; Even so, Amen."

NOTES

NOTE 1. "Tuesday, March 29, 1892. . . John W. Taylor spoke in relation to the Manifesto: `I do not know that thing was right, though I voted to sustain it, and will assist to maintain it; but among my father's papers I found a revelation given him of the Lord, and which is now in my possession, in which the Lord told him that the principle of plural marriage would never be overcome. Pres. Taylor desired to have it suspended, but the Lord would not permit it to be done.' At the close of John W.'s remarks, our meeting adjourned till tomorrow at 10 o'clock. I closed with prayer."
ABRAHAM H. CANNON JOURNAL
March 29, 1892
Page 24

NOTE 2. "September 1, 1934. After reading some expressions in a letter ascribed to A. W. Ivins in which the foregoing revelation (1886) is referred to as an unsigned scrap of paper--a so-called revelation--the words of a man which were never submitted to the people of the Church and are not binding, etc., I went up and talked with my sister Nellie E. Taylor, plural wife of John W. Taylor to learn what she knew about it. She says John W. referred to the circumstances on several occasions and told how his father was in hiding at the home of John Woolley at Centerville the night it was received. That Lorin Woolley was on guard in the next room and witnessed a strange light under Pres. Taylor's door. Next day a message was sent to those of the Apostles then at home to meet Pres. T. at Centerville. Bro. Geo. Gibbs arranged for a sheep wagon well closed in and drove them up. [32] John W. was asked to stand guard in the adjoining room. He said the revelation was submitted and received. The original was brought to the Temple, but as there was danger of the Temple being raided, it and other records were hidden by Wm. Salmon. This copy was later given to John W. who asked his brother-in-law, Rodney Badger, to place it in a safety box at the bank where he worked. It was later returned to John W. Taylor, who kept it in his office. While in this office, Ellen Sanberg was his secretary. He married her as a plural wife.
After John's death Ellen kept the revelation and worked for L. N. Stohl, who persuaded her to let him make photographic copies of it.

Nellie says that one night after his death, John W. came to her with a troubled look on his face and it was made known to her that he was concerned about this revelation--the one given to John Taylor. Nellie went to Mill Creek and Ethan reluctantly surrendered it. Nellie took it to Frank Y. Taylor and asked that he deliver it to the Church historian. Frank delayed and some inquiry was made about it. Nellie again saw him about it and Frank decided to surrender it but instead of taking it to the historian's office, he took it to Pres. Grant and asked him if it was genuine and in the handwriting of his father. Pres. Grant said it was. Bro. Taylor asked how he could get around it. "I am not going to try to get around it," replied Pres. Grant.

The revelation given to President Taylor Sept. 27, 1886, is as well authenticated as any we have, and is just as sacred and just as true. It is from the Lord and set forth His mind and will at that time. It has been claimed by several that inasmuch as it never was presented to the Church, it is not binding upon the Church. That simply announces that unless we in conference vote to accept a commandment of God, we are not required to keep that particular commandment, which is not true. If God gave a commandment to 100 men and 60 of them rejected it, that would not affect the commandment. Of course, they couldn't obey the commandment till they heard it. This revelation could not be presented to the Church when it was received and by the time it could be presented, we had already acted in a way quite opposite to its injunctions, so it was not presented to the members in conference at all, but that does not change the revelation.

Anyone in the Church who refers to any one of these revelations received by President Taylor or Apostle or President Woodruff as "purported," "so-called," "pretended," or as scraps of paper not binding because they were never accepted by the Church or as being received when an Apostle, is sowing confusion for himself and the Church to reap.
Excerpts from the
JOURNAL OF DOUGLAS M. TODD, SR.
pp. 10-13

NOTE 3. The following excerpts were taken from the trial of John W. Taylor, held in the Salt Lake Temple, February 22 and March 1, 1911:

APOSTLE JOHN W. TAYLOR:
"My father received a revelation which however was never presented to the Church, and I refer to this not because it was a revelation to my father; I don't think a revelation because it came through him was any greater than one receive of through any other president of the Church, but because it seems to pertain to this question."
(The revelation was read by Brother Penrose.)
APOSTLE JOHN W. TAYLOR:
"There are two things I am drawing your attention to. I am not in politics and very little in the Church, but I do this as a matter of privilege. This revelation is either true or it is false. Assuming that it is true, it seems to me that it would be better to offer leniency on the side of the Lord if you are going to offer any leniency, than on the side of politics. . . . Brother Lyman, what do you think of the revelation to my father?"
PRESIDENT FRANCIS M. LYMAN:
"If you ask me if I believe in the plurality of wives, I would say that I believe it is true and will always be so, but the Lord may suspend the practice of it, and how much of the responsibility remains with the people and with the government, I don't know. I am living with my wives now all the time, but I don't hold the Church responsible for it but shoulder the responsibility myself . . . . I have no fault to find with the revelation."
APOSTLE CHARLES W. PENROSE:
"Do you understand the free agency referred to in the revelation gives any one the privilege of taking a plural wife?"
APOSTLE JOHN W. TAYLOR:
"I take it that it refers to the individual and relieved the Church of the responsibility and placed the responsibility upon the individual."
"When did you find this revelation?"
APOSTLE JOHN W. TAYLOR:
"I found it on his desk immediately after his death, when I was appointed administrator of his estate. . . ."
"Do you think anyone can solemnize plural marriages with authority now?
APOSTLE JOHN W. TAYLOR:
"I feel under certain circumstances they could, but it would depend on the circumstances."
"What conditions?"
APOSTLE JOHN W. TAYLOR:
"I fully explained that last time."
"What are your views with regard to that revelation?"
APOSTLE JOHN W. TAYLOR:
"I am not the one to pass upon that revelation. I think you are the ones to do that."
"What I desire to get at is as to how you view the matter, whether you have been guided by that in your case. You brought the revelation to us and it has never been accepted by the Church or presented to it."
APOSTLE JOHN W. TAYLOR:
"I think the only thing to do is to go to the presiding priesthood of the Lord and get his idea on it and get him to inquire of the Lord what His mind is regarding it.
"I don't think Brother Taylor should come here and tell us what we need to do. But what I wanted to know is what he thought the President meant by the revelation, whether the man was placed upon his own responsibility by that revelation and the President and Church relieved of all responsibility or not."
APOSTLE ANTHONY W. IVINS:
"Do you know how extensively this revelation has been circulated in times past and has guided people in their actions in this regard?"
APOSTLE JOHN W. TAYLOR
"Brother Joseph Robinson came to me and asked for a copy of it upon the suggestion of Brother Cowley and he got it from Brother Badger. Brother Joseph F. Smith, Jr. also got a copy but I don't know how many have got copies from these."
"You don't know what inference was placed upon it in early times?"
APOSTLE JOHN W. TAYLOR:
"No, I don't know."
"I ask this question because I have heard some of the brethren interpret this revelation in this way, and I would like to find out to what extent they had the endorsement of the Church in view of this revelation, and what was the reason these brethren went to Canada and Mexico. Do you know what they based their belief upon; as they seemed to be sincere. Whether it was from this revelation or from the President of the Church or from what grounds were taken that they could come in contact with the law of the land and still win out. I would like to know from Brother Taylor what he knows about this and if they were justified in it."
APOSTLE JOHN W. TAYLOR:
"President Smith has come out on numerous occasions with the statement that there have been no marriages of a polygamous nature solemnized with the approval of the Church, since 1890. He stands at the head of this dispensation at this moment and has adopted that policy, and as far as I am concerned I don't want to come in conflict with President Smith on this proposition. I don't know what others have taken from this revelation. If the revelation is true, it would certainly impress me that the Church was relieved of responsibility in this matter and the responsibility placed upon the individual."
APOSTLE ORSON F. WHITNEY:
"Was it not the policy during your father's administration to leave everything to the mind of the individual? I know this was the case with me when I went to inquire if I should take the test oath. I was told to exercise my own judgment. Also there is no authority as far as I can see in that revelation, no authority given to man to exercise such authority in marrying anyone, but the question of whether they should go into the relationship was left with the individual, as in President Young's time men were commanded to go into it."
"I feel that we should not express our own views on this revelation but should have Brother Taylor's views if he will give them; if not, we can get through with that question."
"The date of this revelation is September 1886, four years before the manifesto of President Woodruff and I remember at that time that President Taylor and all his brethren were very strongly entrenched in the principle of plural marriage. From [36] 1880 to 1890 men were almost commanded to enter it, especially the officials of the Church. We were all pretty well engaged in this question. The change came in 1890 when President Woodruff felt the necessity that plural marriage should cease and after that he felt just as strong against it, as President Taylor had felt for it before. It was subsequent to this that President Smith made his declaration that the Church took no responsibility for the unlawful co-habitation of those in plural marriage and the performance of plural marriages. I would like to ask if you have encouraged others to take plural wives, or taken them yourself or if you think these brethren who have copies of this revelation have taken it as an encouragement, for instance, Brother Robinson."
APOSTLE JOHN W. TAYLOR:
"I will answer that by asking if anyone you have had here before you has ever said that I encouraged him."
"No one except Wolff, and you admit having encouraged him under the direction of a superior officer."
APOSTLE DAVID O. McKAY:
"I would like to know who the man is that directed you to instruct Brother Wolff to marry a certain party."
APOSTLE JOHN W. TAYLOR:
"I would not wish to take issue with the President of the Church or anyone who is at the head of the Church. I went to President Smith's office the other day and had a three and one-half hour talk with him and John Henry Smith and he said that he had never authorized anyone to perform a plural marriage. I am not saying that he is the one to whom I refer, but I do not want to say any more on this point."
APOSTLE HYRUM M. SMITH:
"I would like Brother Taylor to feel that we are not persuading him or any other man to do harm but simply to get at the bottom of these matters. I feel that you are responsible for the circulation of that revelation."
APOSTLE JOHN W. TAYLOR:
"I am willing to put in a supplemental answer to the effect that I have never married anyone without the endorsement and authority of the President of the Church and, if you desire, I will give the names of those I have married, but I think this would be unwise. . . ."
"Under this purported revelation from your father, do you think this authority is given [37] to anyone to perform a plural marriage on their own free agency?"
JOHN W. TAYLOR:
"If a men had been authorized in any way by authority to perform a marriage, under that revelation he would be."
MINUTES FROM SPECIAL MEETINGS
OF QUORUM OF TWELVE
Salt Lake Temple
Feb. 22 & Mar. 1, 1911

From where on this Earth Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, Moses, and others obtain the law?

Personal Revelation!

Do they copy somebody before them? or they were instructed from somebody in authority to live it?

Moses 1:34 and 4:26 (Pearl of Great Price)

Adam had Plural Wives and walked and talked with G_d. Were not informed totally as to Noah's family structure (before or after the flood). Abraham was instructed by Noah and Melchizedek (Shem), and thus his family... Sons and Grandsons, and all the Tribes of Yesrael. The same was not clearly revealed about Moses and his wives. The Messiah had eight wives, however, the scriptures are very sanitized about such knowledge. Joseph Smith had many wives, and it is only now becoming common knowledge because of the internet. Again, the scriptures does not reveal JS family connections.

CPM is NOT for the world! It is not for the Church of G_d or all those whom I just listed above would have made His law clearly known and binding upon all believers. Why if it is a truly an eternal doctrine and the ONLY form of Marriage that is eternal, is it NOT REVEALED?

The answer is that it is part of the Higher Law. That ONLY those who are upon the PATH should have it revealed unto them and that ONLY those who PERSONALLY are Commanded of the Lord should ever enter into this most Holy Principle of Matrimony.

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

To the OP, by rubbing noses? Maybe not, because that can cause a condition called "sniffless."

Otherwise, it was done by and through what is called "coitus."

But here is a rather interesting question: if God told Adam and Eve to multiply and replenish the earth, how can an earth void of any human life until they, Adam and Eve, fell and became mortals be replenished? How does one replenish that which did not exist in the first place?

Replenish
verb (used with object)
1. to make full or complete again, as by supplying what is lacking, used up, etc.:
to fill again or anew.