Is Heavenly Mother Welcome Back?

For discussing the Church, Gospel of Jesus Christ, Mormonism, etc.
Juliet
captain of 1,000

Re: Is Heavenly Mother Welcome Back?

Post by Juliet »

Amonhi wrote:
Finrock wrote:One day as I was praying for comfort, feeling very alone and afraid. I was in the midst of a great trial. My heart was grieving, broken, and full of sorrow and pain. I felt abandoned and I felt a yearning for comfort and love. In the middle of this pleading I felt an enormous sense of comfort and love. It descended upon me, starting from my head, and it enveloped me, but it was not this intense, searing, overpowering feeling that occurred to me some months before when I received a remission of my sins and was rescued from death and hell. This was different and this time I knew it was Heavenly Mother. She told me straight up, in my heart and in my mind, and with power that She is never going to abandon me.

I don't know if that is my calling and election, but I feel assured that I will not be abandoned again. Heavenly Mother has said so through Her Spirit.

-Finrock
Thank you for sharing this. It is very interesting in that another friend of mine shared with me her story of hearing/communicating with Heavenly mother recently. She said that Heavenly mother would always be with her and not abandon her...

Elliaison did a webinar on Mother's day in which one of the presenters said that she was given a message from Heavenly Father and Heavenly Mother to share on the webinar. That message was essentially that Heavenly mother was going to be a more prominent part of our spiritual experience and that the we are symbolically ready to let her out of the closet. If I remember correctly, they said "she will not leave you or abandon you."

I have heard about 6 people in the last 2 months talk about an experience they have had with Heavenly mother.

Thanks for sharing...

Has anyone else had an experience with Heavenly Mother? How recent? Can you share any details?

Peace,
Amonhi
I Never would have had a chance at recovery from a traumatic childhood without Heavenly Mother. We have shut her out because of our collective shame associated with the female body. I don't like jokes about how hard it is to understand women. If you can figure out how to build a fire you can figure out how to make women work for you. Lots of kindling, and don't ignore it.

Heavenly Mother is the embodiment of unconditional love. You can do no wrong. Of course, the masculinity makes you want to grow and be like Heavenly Father, but femininity is compassion. Heavenly Mother is not afraid of pain or grief. She will feel it with you, teach you about it, grieve and cry, and after it is out, hug you and leave you feeling better than you ever had before. The thing I love about her most, is how Happy she is. She is not ashamed or embarrassed like some women. She is very funny and can take a joke. She is just awesome and makes you want to live. She makes you wonder how it it possible that someone can be so happy. Oh she has waited oh so long for us to be ready to acknowledge her. The power of womanhood is what I think of as the powers of heaven. If you think women are weak, you have never heard a thunderstorm. For it is the feminine that cleanses and heals the earth through the thunder of grief and electricity. It makes sense that the whole universe revolves around her. Heavenly Father loves and worships her. He stands back so she can shine. Watching them as a couple would redefine your understanding of the patriarchal order. For Father has so much respect for Heavenly Mother.

BruceRGilbert
captain of 1,000

Post by BruceRGilbert »

Two Points:

1.) Elohim is plural for "Gods" and denotes plurality in "quality" as well as "quantity." Its first usage in the Old Testament is found in the opening book of Genesis. Scholars are still in a conundrum over this, but it is evident that one cannot speak of "Elohim" without referencing both, a Patriarch and a Matriarch . . . for even as man is not without the woman in the sight of the Lord, so it is with "God / Elohim." They Two are One.
Genesis 1:
26 And God (Elohim) said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.
27 So God (Elohim) created man in his (Their) own image, in the image of God created (T)he(y) him; male and female created (T)he(y) them.
This is further evidenced by the utterance of the Savior on the cross, using the singular form . . . referencing specifically to whom He was addressing:
Mark 15:
34 And at the ninth hour Jesus cried with a loud voice, saying, Eloi, Eloi, lama sabachthani? which is, being interpreted, My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?
2.) Receiving the "More Sure Word" does not equate to a "Fullness," as illustrated in the life of the Savior with two significant events:
Matthew 3:
16 And Jesus, when he was baptized, went up straightway out of the water: and, lo, the heavens were opened unto him, and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove, and lighting upon him:
17 And lo a voice from heaven, saying, This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased.
Doctrine and Covenants 131:
5 The more sure word of prophecy means a man’s knowing that he is sealed up unto eternal life, by revelation and the spirit of prophecy, through the power of the Holy Priesthood.
It was "after" He had the "More Sure Word of Prophecy" that He was tempted of the Devil in the wilderness, prior to beginning His ministry.
Matthew 17:
1 And after six days Jesus taketh Peter, James, and John his brother, and bringeth them up into an high mountain apart,
2 And was transfigured before them: and his face did shine as the sun, and his raiment was white as the light.
3 And, behold, there appeared unto them Moses and Elias talking with him.
4 Then answered Peter, and said unto Jesus, Lord, it is good for us to be here: if thou wilt, let us make here three tabernacles; one for thee, and one for Moses, and one for Elias.
5 While he yet spake, behold, a bright cloud overshadowed them: and behold a voice out of the cloud, which said, This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased; hear ye him.
6 And when the disciples heard it, they fell on their face, and were sore afraid.
7 And Jesus came and touched them, and said, Arise, and be not afraid.
8 And when they had lifted up their eyes, they saw no man, save Jesus only.
9 And as they came down from the mountain, Jesus charged them, saying, Tell the vision to no man, until the Son of man be risen again from the dead.
Doctrine and Covenants 93:
12 And I, John, saw that he received not of the fulness at the first, but received grace for grace;
13 And he received not of the fulness at first, but continued from grace to grace, until he received a fulness;
14 And thus he was called the Son of God, because he received not of the fulness at the first.
15 And I, John, bear record, and lo, the heavens were opened, and the Holy Ghost descended upon him in the form of a dove, and sat upon him, and there came a voice out of heaven saying: This is my beloved Son.
16 And I, John, bear record that he received a fulness of the glory of the Father;
17 And he received all power, both in heaven and on earth, and the glory of the Father was with him, for he dwelt in him.
18 And it shall come to pass, that if you are faithful you shall receive the fulness of the record of John.
The "Sealing Power" was given to the Apostles shortly after this incident.
Matthew 18:
18 Verily I say unto you, Whatsoever ye shall bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever ye shall loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.
As in all things, Jesus the Christ is the exemplar. He showed the way and IS the way.

zionminded
captain of 1,000

Post by zionminded »

We hide HM as if she is weak or subservient to Father. At least Catholics personify Her "in a way", through Mary.

My experience with her is very much like an earthy mother, but perfect love, much like Farher. She is every bit a part of my devotion to God as Father is, for me. Sometimes I need to simply talk to her, and her counsel is warm and purposeful.

I also think we feel Her in creation, she was involved. This is one reason we speak of "Mother Earth", in my opinion.

zionminded
captain of 1,000

Post by zionminded »

mhewett wrote:
Amonhi wrote: Are you saying that the topics of C&E and 2nd Comforter are dangerous? I know that C&E is essential to going to the Ck, so at some point we need to get over our fear of it and figure it out.
No the actual doctrines of Calling and election and the 2nd comforter are not dangerous but when you start teaching that unless you receive your calling and election and receive the 2nd comforter in this life, then you will not be in the celestial kingdom, that is dangerous. Rather than faith promoting it can be faith destroying. I have seen people parrot snuffers teachings like that on this site and that is what is dangerous.

I don't have a fear of it, I look forward to the day that I see Christ but if I am not blessed with it in this life, I won't be going to my grave stressing because I haven't.
And that is agency for all to choose.

Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robin Hood »

SmallFarm wrote:
Robin Hood wrote:
SmallFarm wrote:
Robin Hood wrote:Some of things being said on this thread are a bit weird quite frankly.

I'm going to be a little controversial too.
I don't believe heavenly mother exists.
What is the purpose of your two posts in this thread other than to ridicule a belief that is different than yours? Do you have a substantive argument to the OP or do you just want to tell people they are wrong?
The purpose of my two posts are to participate in the thread.
I would have thought that was self evident.
Sorry for not participating in a way which meets with your approval.
What is your purpose for participating in this thread?
If it is not to mock and denigrate maybe you should lay of the mocking and denigration?
Robin Hood wrote:Sounds rather like the catholic Mary cult to me.
My purpose for participating in the thread is to, well...... participate in the thread.
You do not determine the rules for my participation.

The fact is that this "doctrine" is spurious at best.
It has no basis in scripture nor in the teachings of Bro. Joseph. There is no evidence that the concept even existed before Joseph's death, and it's provenance can be traced to a hymn.
W.W. Phelps and Eliza R. Snow are the historical source for this psuedo-doctrine and the last time I checked they were not listed as prophets, seers, and revelators.

It matters not that the church has published an essay on the subject. Since when did publishing essays become the way to establish doctrine anyway?

The scriptures instruct us to "prove all things". I therefore determine that my refusal to believe this questionable doctrine is sound.

SmallFarm
captain of 1,000

Post by SmallFarm »

Robin Hood wrote: You do not determine the rules for my participation.
I'm not trying to "determine the rules of your participation" I'm trying to make you have some self reflection. You can lead a horse to water..... :ymsigh:

Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robin Hood »

SmallFarm wrote:
Robin Hood wrote: You do not determine the rules for my participation.
I'm not trying to "determine the rules of your participation" I'm trying to make you have some self reflection. You can lead a horse to water..... :ymsigh:

You shouldn't be trying to "make" me do anything.
Who do you think you are?

BruceRGilbert
captain of 1,000

Post by BruceRGilbert »

Alma 40:
20 Now, my son, I do not say that their resurrection cometh at the resurrection of Christ; but behold, I give it as my opinion, that the souls and the bodies are reunited, of the righteous, at the resurrection of Christ, and his ascension into heaven.
Note: Alma states, ". . . I give it as my opinion, . . . ."

It is within the realm of "revelatory" conversation to give one's opinion. Please understand that what I offer is thus and subject to the limitations of the "flesh" of which, I hope, you do not put your trust in - especially mine. The ultimate qualification of "truth" and "revelation" resides in the confirmation of the Spirit for greater is the witness that comes to one "within" than that which comes from "without." Illusions can trick the outside senses of the body into accepting things that are "falsified;" however, the Spirit that testifies within cannot be "falsified" - it is the "more sure word." This is the reason that I firmly believe that the ruse of "magic, smoke, and mirrors" used in deception will give way to the plainness of that which is the opposite: "reality, clarity, and windows." We will eventually "KNOW" all things, including how we are known. The "Spiritual" realm within has to do with those "particles" that "enlighten" our minds in form of enhanced consciousness / intelligence in being added upon AND those "particles" that resonate within our hearts in being filled with the exuberant feelings of comfort and nurture. Such are the operations of the Light of Christ, the Holy Ghost, and the Spirit of Christ within us - reclaiming and re-quickening that which had fallen.
I would like your consideration on the concept of Heavenly Mother.
Taking into consideration Moses 7:48 where Mother Earth speaks to Enoch and calls herself the mother of men, and the importance of Mother Earth in the creation process.
What are your thoughts and feelings?
"Moses 7: 48 And it came to pass that Enoch looked upon the earth; and he heard a voice from the bowels thereof, saying: Wo, wo is me, the mother of men; I am pained, I am weary, because of the wickedness of my children. When shall I rest, and be cleansed from the filthiness which is gone forth out of me? When will my Creator sanctify me, that I may rest, and righteousness for a season abide upon my face?"
There are two aspects involved in that which you have shared: 1.) Heavenly Mother . . . as in the Mother of our Spirits and 2.) Mother Earth . . . as in the Mother of the elements which comprise our bodies.

The first chapter of Genesis in the Bible refers to the "spiritual" creation of all mankind and specifically details it, thusly:
26 And God (Heavenly Father and Heavenly Mother: Elohim) said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.
27 So God created man in his (Their) own image, in the image of God created he (They) him; male and female created he (They) them. (Spiritual Sons and Daughters of God)
[Elohim: (Gods) plural . . . meaning quality and quantity. Even as man is not without the woman in the sight of the Lord, neither can there be a "Patriarch" without a "Matriarch" in heaven and, they (joined together as one) form "God," thusly referenced. Further evidence of this is found in the personal petition of the Savior on the cross. To whom do you think He was speaking when He made the following utterance: Mark 15: 34 And at the ninth hour Jesus cried with a loud voice, saying, Eloi, Eloi, lama sabachthani? which is, being interpreted, My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me? Note: it is the singular form and not the plural. It is my opinion that He was speaking directly to the Father as an individual and not His Mother.]

To further illustrate that Chapter 1 of Genesis is devoted to the "Pre-mortal" or "Spiritual" creation, consider the language of the first few verses in the next chapter (2):
1 Thus the heavens and the earth were finished, and all the host of them.
2 And on the seventh day God ended his work which he had made; and he rested on the seventh day from all his work which he had made.
3 And God blessed the seventh day, and sanctified it: because that in it he had rested from all his work which God created and made.
4 These are the generations of the heavens and of the earth when they were created, in the day that the Lord God made the earth and the heavens,
5 And every plant of the field before it was in the earth, and every herb of the field before it grew: for the Lord God had not caused it to rain upon the earth, and there was not a man to till the ground.
Allow me to share my understanding as to how it is that Mother Earth is the mother of men, utilizing scripture and explanation to do so, continuing with the account:
6 But there went up a mist from the earth, and watered the whole face of the ground.
7 And the Lord God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living *soul.
8 And the Lord God planted a garden eastward in Eden; and there he put the man whom he had formed.

*Definition:
Doctrine and Covenants 88: 15 And the spirit and the body are the soul of man.
This is the equivalent of stating that the Lord God formed man from the elements of the Earth.
Doctrine and Covenants 93:
33 For man is spirit. The elements are eternal, and spirit and element, inseparably connected, receive a fulness of joy;
34 And when separated, man cannot receive a fulness of joy.
The elements belong to this Earth and for this reason she is called Mother Earth because of this dimension of sacrifice and contribution. Now, for a little discussion with respect to the "building blocks" of the physical body and such processes. When a "body" of any nature, being of spirit (light) or physical (less quickened, coalesced light becoming solid and of a lower vibrational plane) is formed within a female "mother," it is the result of that "mother" forming a garment around the "child" with the elements that she has ingested. In the case of "spirit," it would be like substances. In the case of "physical elements," it would be like substances. With respect to you, as a Mother, you formed your children from the dust (elements) of this Earth as a result of ingesting plants and animals that eventually all trace back to the same origin. In this regard, we belong to this sphere and She is our Mother, as well . . . but it is in a physical and not spiritual sense. Nutrients to build cells and the like can all be attributed to the elements and compounds that are found in our environment that originate from the "dust of the Earth." Like begets like.

The creation of man and creation of earths fall into this same category . . . patterned alike, but on a much different scale. In fact, the movie "2001 A Space Odyssey" was based upon the comparison of the two. There are striking similarities between the birth of planets and the birth of children.

I wanted to add something that is probably peculiar to the English language, but do so for illustration purposes since we have spoken of water and the like: Telestial : RAIN (repentance and justification through washings,) Terrestrial : REIN (learning self-control, the law of the gospel in controlling our thoughts and our feelings) and Celestial : REIGN (Being as God is after first having learned to REIGN over ourselves.) God bless you with understanding, enlightenment and nourishment and may you abound.

“God will not look you over for medals, degrees or diplomas but for scars.”
― Elbert Hubbard
Last edited by BruceRGilbert on July 30th, 2016, 3:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

Seriously, I can't believe the negativity and rejection voiced on this thread. Some folks just cannot think outside the box.
Those claiming there is no heavenly mother should be ashamed of themselves.
God gave Adam a help-meet named Eve.
We are promised eternal life in the kingdom of God, in the Celestial kingdom...with the requirement of having a spouse.
Now we have people that just could as well should be calling God a liar for living or promoting a double standard. He's telling us we have to have a spouse sealed to us if we want to live with him in his kingdom...but he, himself, is exempt from that law....right!
How many people here even for one moment think that God, our Father, doesn't want us humans to know much about Mother? Humans take the Lord's name in vain as often as they eat breakfast, lunch and dinner. Why would God want to have his wife treated like that? He may be able to take the abuse, but he has too much respect and honor for his spouse to allow this kind of treatment from evil humans.
We are told that we can have dominions, principalities and worlds of our own and become God's...can we do this without a spouse?

God created every single thing in heaven, spiritually, before placing them here on earth.

Moses 3:5
5 And every plant of the field before it was in the earth, and every herb of the field before it grew. For I, the Lord God, created all things, of which I have spoken, spiritually, before they were naturally upon the face of the earth. For I, the Lord God, had not caused it to rain upon the face of the earth. And I, the Lord God, had created all the children of men; and not yet a man to till the ground; for in heaven created I them; and there was not yet flesh upon the earth, neither in the water, neither in the air;

Well!

mhewett
captain of 100

Post by mhewett »

Amonhi wrote:
mhewett wrote:
Amonhi wrote: Are you saying that the topics of C&E and 2nd Comforter are dangerous? I know that C&E is essential to going to the Ck, so at some point we need to get over our fear of it and figure it out.
No the actual doctrines of Calling and election and the 2nd comforter are not dangerous but when you start teaching that unless you receive your calling and election and receive the 2nd comforter in this life, then you will not be in the celestial kingdom, that is dangerous. Rather than faith promoting it can be faith destroying. I have seen people parrot snuffers teachings like that on this site and that is what is dangerous.

I don't have a fear of it, I look forward to the day that I see Christ but if I am not blessed with it in this life, I won't be going to my grave stressing because I haven't.
Oh, I see. :-) How is it faith destroying? Do you mean depressing, overwhelming, or destroys faith like the church isn't true, God doesn't exist...?

Peace,
Amonhi
Faith destroying because if you go through life believing that if you don't see Christ before you die or you have family members who are taken and you know they haven't seen Christ, you will feel like Joseph Smith (in one of the church videos) where a minister of religion told Joseph that Alvin was not going to be in heaven. Joseph did not feel happy when he was told that and no person who loves their family would. My Dad who lived a good life, served in the church, temple worthy all the time he was a member, he was prayerful and faithful. I'll never forget what one of the snuffer followers said to me. They said that my Dad would not be in the CK if he did not have his c&e or had seen Christ in this life. That is absolutely false doctrine. Now I love my Dad and want to see him again one day. It would be sad for me to want to be in the CK knowing that he would not be. That is how Joseph felt when told about Alvin. That false doctrine would make me not want to be in the CK, I would want to be with my family even in a lesser kingdom. I have seen a family where the kids went inactive and the parents decided what's the point of being members if our kids will not be with us so they went inactive. That is the possible result of such an doctrine.

Preaching that you have to have your c&e and have to have seen Christ in this life to go to the celestial kingdom is an abominable and satan inspired doctrine and as I have pointed out, rather than encouraging people, can turn them the other way, destroying faith thus making it dangerous to the eternal salvation of us all.

mhewett
captain of 100

Post by mhewett »

zionminded wrote:
mhewett wrote:

In other words you believe that without your c&e and having seen Christ in this life you are not going to the Celestial Kingdom, is that your point of view?

Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robin Hood »

freedomforall wrote:Seriously, I can't believe the negativity and rejection voiced on this thread. Some folks just cannot think outside the box.
We are promised eternal life in the kingdom of God, in the Celestial kingdom...with the requirement of having a spouse.
Now we have people that just could as well should be calling God a liar for living or promoting a double standard. He's telling us we have to have a spouse sealed to us if we want to live with him in his kingdom...but he, himself, is exempt from that law....right!
How many people here even for one moment think that God, our Father, doesn't want us humans to know much about Mother? Humans take the Lord's name in vain as often as they eat breakfast, lunch and dinner. Why would God want to have his wife treated like that? He may be able to take the abuse, but he has too much respect and honor for his spouse to allow this kind of treatment from evil humans.
We are told that we can have dominions, principalities and worlds of our own and become God's...can we do this without a spouse?

God created every single thing in heaven, spiritually, before placing them here on earth.

5 And every plant of the field before it was in the earth, and every herb of the field before it grew. For I, the Lord God, created all things, of which I have spoken, spiritually, before they were naturally upon the face of the earth. For I, the Lord God, had not caused it to rain upon the face of the earth. And I, the Lord God, had created all the children of men; and not yet a man to till the ground; for in heaven created I them; and there was not yet flesh upon the earth, neither in the water, neither in the air;

Well!

Now, if you'll just quote a scripture from any of the standard works which says we have a heavenly mother that will settle the question once and for all.

zionminded
captain of 1,000

Post by zionminded »

mhewett wrote:
zionminded wrote:
mhewett wrote:

In other words you believe that without your c&e and having seen Christ in this life you are not going to the Celestial Kingdom, is that your point of view?
I beleive everybody will get to the CK if they want too, given time and experience. If you think you won't receive Christ now, you won't, or if you want to wait until after you die to grow in that way, that's okay too.

zionminded
captain of 1,000

Post by zionminded »

Robin Hood wrote:
freedomforall wrote:Seriously, I can't believe the negativity and rejection voiced on this thread. Some folks just cannot think outside the box.

Well!

Now, if you'll just quote a scripture from any of the standard works which says we have a heavenly mother that will settle the question once and for all.
Why do you put so much trust in the scriptures, when you can just go ask and find out?

Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robin Hood »

zionminded wrote:
Robin Hood wrote:

Well!

Why do you put so much trust in the scriptures, when you can just go ask and find out?
Can't believe you just said that.

passionflower
captain of 1,000

Post by passionflower »

mhewett wrote:
Robin Hood wrote:There is no evidence that Joseph Smith ever taught or even mentioned this concept. Neither does it appear in any of the scriptures.
It appears to have been started by W.W. Phelps.
https://www.lds.org/music/library/hymns ... r?lang=eng" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

“O My Father” (originally “My Father in Heaven”,[1] also “Invocation, or The Eternal Father and Mother“[2]) is a Latter-day Saint (LDS or Mormon) hymn written by Eliza R. Snow who felt inspired to write it after Joseph Smith, Jr. had taught her the principle of heavenly parents. The hymn is interesting in terms of Mormon theology in that it is one of the few direct references to a “Heavenly Mother” in materials published by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

After discussing pre-mortal existence and a sense of belonging to “a more exalted sphere” in heaven, stanza three reasons that if there is an eternal Father there must also be an eternal Mother:

I had learned to call thee Father, Through thy Spirit from on high,
But until the key of knowledge Was restored, I knew not why.
In the heavens are parents single? No, the thought makes reason stare!
Truth is reason, truth eternal Tells me I’ve a mother there.
Snow wrote “O My Father” under the title “My Father in Heaven” in October 1845 in Nauvoo, Illinois. The Times and Seasons first published the words on 15 November 1845, more than a year after Joseph Smith, Jr. was killed.[1] The poetry was later set to the music of another Christian hymn, “My Redeemer” by James McGranahan,[3] and included in Latter-day Saint hymnals, including the current one. When a collection of Snow’s poems were published in 1856, this work was placed first in the double-volume set and entitled “Invocation, or The Eternal Father and Mother”.[2]

Written By: Eliza R. Snow

Last edited by passionflower on November 24th, 2017, 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nzgirl
captain of 10

Post by nzgirl »

Robin Hood wrote:

Well!

Could quite possibly be located in the Pages that were lost by Martin Harris or contained in any other body of scripture that has yet to be given us. We haven't really got much to go on, but I'm comfortable with references of HM by GA such as President Hinckley.

zionminded
captain of 1,000

Post by zionminded »

Robin Hood wrote:
zionminded wrote:
Robin Hood wrote:

Well!

Can't believe you just said that.
I know it's crazy talk, but so much of the time we default to "well it's in the scriptures", so it must be true. Yet, those men (mostly men, not women), got direction from the Spirit, or an Angel, or God, and received it in their own bias. Then they wrote it down, and it was translated by other men with their biases. Then we read it with our own bias.

Then society canonizes certain scripture (and not others). We make it "too easy" to just have a "the bible says so", theology and we completely miss the first and most important thing, that is we should receive directly from God our own personal revelation.

I read scripture, but I allow the Spirit to teach me from what I read. I think scripture is important, but it's the second source, not the primary source.

In fact, Nephi was pretty clear about this. :)

What do these statements bring up in you?

passionflower
captain of 1,000

Post by passionflower »

Last edited by passionflower on November 24th, 2017, 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mhewett
captain of 100

Post by mhewett »

passionflower wrote:Joseph Smith said that everyone would leave the church if they knew what he knew( and that includes Eliza R. Snow.) Having stood in his shoes just a little bit, I completely agree.
It depends what he meant by that. From what I recall, Joseph was shown who he was in the pre existence. He said that if he shared that with people it would shake their faith. Cleon Skousen mentioned that so unless you have a reference that clarifies that Joseph was talking about something else including Heavenly Mother, you can't assume it was anything to do with a Heavenly Mother. (and why would teaching about a Heavenly mother cause us to leave the church anyway)

A doctrine of Heavenly Mother is just a part of the Gospel. not every part of the Gospel teaches us the need for a redeemer, faith in Him, or obedience and sacrifice. It is just another piece of the puzzle. I don't know why there is controversy about this. I have always known there is a Heavenly Mother, the gospel plan does not make sense if there is not a Heavenly Mother, what is the point of Eternal Marriage if there is not a Heavenly Mother? We are to inherit all that God has if we reach the highest degree in the Celestial Kingdom. We cannot have all that he has if we are single, He could not have all that He has and do all that He has done if there was not a woman at his side.

I simply can't understand why anyone who knows the Gospel would think there was not a Heavenly Mother.

Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robin Hood »

mhewett wrote:
I simply can't understand why anyone who knows the Gospel would think there was not a Heavenly Mother.
I can.

Older/wiser?
captain of 100

Post by Older/wiser? »

So just curious as to those who believe the Savior was married, if so why? And what would that mean for future worlds He creates.

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

Does God, the Father, live and keep double standards in telling us to live one way, and he another? Would he not have a wife and still expect those who live with him to have a spouse sealed to them? Somehow that doesn't fit the nature of God. Besides, if we can't believe that which he says, and in following his own rules, then how can we obtain the faith sufficient for salvation and eternal glory? Has anyone read Lectures on Faith, dealing with obtaining faith sufficient for salvation?

Doctrine and Covenants 131:2
2 And in order to obtain the highest, a man must enter into this order of the priesthood [meaning the new and everlasting covenant of marriage];

D&C 132:6
6 And as pertaining to the new and everlasting covenant, it was instituted for the fulness of my glory; and he that receiveth a fulness thereof must and shall abide the law, or he shall be damned, saith the Lord God.

Could Father make such a statement if he, himself, does not keep his own laws? Since he dwells in the highest kingdom, he would have a wife and be sealed to her.

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

Older/wiser? wrote:So just curious as to those who believe the Savior was married, if so why? And what would that mean for future worlds He creates.
D&C 131:2...above

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

Robin Hood wrote:
mhewett wrote:
I can.
Do you read much? Do you for one moment believe God doesn't keep his own laws he gives to man? That wouldn't say much about God's credibility and status in a positive way, now would it?

You know...the old---do as I say, not what I do? God doesn't work that way.