Preparing to serve a mission and asking for advice

For discussing the Church, Gospel of Jesus Christ, Mormonism, etc.
StriplingWarrior
captain of 50

Preparing to serve a mission and asking for advice

Post by StriplingWarrior »

I'm preparing to serve a mission and want advice for the preparation process and the mission itself. I am about 6 months out from leaving and have not been through the temple yet. Any advice from Elders who have gone on what I and others reading can do to be an effective and successful servant of the Lord? Thanks guys

boo
captain of 1,000

Re: Preparing to serve a mission and asking for advice

Post by boo »

Congratulations on your decision. It is ,in my view,the correct one for most young men. Your life will be changed and you may have a profound impact on the lives of others. My own son is in exactly the same position. I have recommended to him that in addition to searching the scriptures he read the"Lectures on Faith" ,"the Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith" ( which he quite likes),and a book by John Pontius entitled " Following the Light". After you are endowed read Jeremy Oakes book " Journey to the Fullness". All of these could be read in 6 months time. Teachings may be read in small doses .Pray about all of this and the Spirit will direct you to know what you should read and then read what you are told to read. My suggestions are no more then suggestions

heartsongs
captain of 100

Post by heartsongs »

Congratulations on your decision. It is a good one. You will be blessed for having served your Father in Heaven. My suggestions for what to read prior to your going to the temple would be to read your Pearl of Great Price and then look in your topical guide/index for any scriptures with the words; temple, anointing, washing, and other words/phrases associated with the temple. You won't understand everything all at once or on the first time, but, if you read first with true intent to understand, I promise it will help when you go to the temple for the first time. Also, search through the archives on LDS.Org for ensign articles etc. that talk about the temple and temple work.

Some good reads for prior to a mission are: A Marvelous Work and a Wonder by LeGrand Richards. Miracle of Forgiveness by Spencer W. Kimball. The Infinite Atonement by Tad Callister, Gethsemane by Andrew Skinner, Essential for Missionary Success by Pres. Ezra T. Benson, The Making of a Missionary by Elder Ballard, How to be an Extraordinary Missionary by John Bytheway, Preach my Gospel and of course any Ensign article pertaining to being a missionary. Also, I don't know of any specific books, but, I think a missionary needs to prepare spiritually. You will need the Spirit, you will need to follow the Spirit. I would read articles about the Spirit and how it works in our lives. I would also pray very sincerely to your Father in Heaven and let him know that you want to be a good missionary and that you want to prepare well. Tell him you want for him to lead you to those things that will help you to achieve that goal. It is a righteous one. He will help, of this I am certain. The Lord knows your needs.

Good luck with this upcoming and new chapter in your life. On... soon-to-be Elder...on to the Victory!!!!

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Post by marc »

Learn from Nephi. Learn from Jacob and Enos. Learn from King Benjamin. Learn from Abinadi. Learn from Alma and the four sons of Mosiah. Each has a profound message. Each gained an understanding through trial and sacrifice. Life is trial and sacrifice. We were given this temporary tabernacle to understand and experience sacrifice, which without a body is impossible. You cannot understand the pains of suffering without a body. It is through longsuffering that you will appreciate the mission experience. Pray to understand 2 Nephi 32. Connect with heaven so that you can teach with power.

heartsongs
captain of 100

Post by heartsongs »

coachmarc wrote:Learn from Nephi. Learn from Jacob and Enos. Learn from King Benjamin. Learn from Abinadi. Learn from Alma and the four sons of Mosiah. Each has a profound message. Each gained an understanding through trial and sacrifice. Life is trial and sacrifice. We were given this temporary tabernacle to understand and experience sacrifice, which without a body is impossible. You cannot understand the pains of suffering without a body. It is through longsuffering that you will appreciate the mission experience. Pray to understand 2 Nephi 32. Connect with heaven so that you can teach with power.
I like your post!!! Especially "connect with heaven so that you can teach with power." Love it!

JohnnyL
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by JohnnyL »

Read the scriptures, over and over, especially the Book of Mormon. If it's not on the mission reading list, I wouldn't, even now.

Get along with others. Spend time ad learn to love those you CAN'T STAND.

Don't be shocked. Missionaries are young men, real people. What a SHOCK to know what missionaries were sometimes really like after all the images put in my imagination. :ymsick:

e-eye
captain of 100

Post by e-eye »

Read and get to know the Book of Mormon and preach my gospel. If you end up learning a new language start memorizing words in that language immediately and don't wait until you get out on the mission to learn. Also, be clean. If you don't have a girlfriend don't get one now Satan is very good at placing girls in front of missionaries as they are leaving which can be disastrous.

letsjet
captain of 100

Post by letsjet »

Write a good talk on missionary work! You will be asked to give numerous talks on your mission about missionary work. Once you become a missionary you won't have time to write a good one. So write a really good talk now about missionary work and be prepared to tweak it when you become a missionary. Study Alma 32 and use it to help your investigators find the truth. Study the concept of Faith. Write a talk on it and review that talk from time to time for your own benefit. Learn to recognize the Spirit and use it as a tool.

For example: My companion and I decided beforehand to look at each other whenever we felt the Spirit during a discussion. Its amazing how many times we shared glances at exactly the same time. We knew if we felt the Spirit that our investigator did too. We used that as a tool to explain to our investigators what the Holy Ghost feels like and that the Spirit was actually bearing witness to the truth we were teaching.

As missionaries we sat next to each other during a discussion. If I ran out of things to say I'd tap my campanion's foot with mine and he'd take over. Also if he were speaking and I needed to say something I'd tap his foot with mine and he'd let me talk for a while and vice versa.

Learn to work with your companion. Teaching an investigator can be really fun sometimes!

Make sure that your testimony is solid before you leave. Do you really know the Church is true?

Congratulations! Lose yourself in the work and all will be well!

Thinker
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Thinker »

JohnnyL wrote:Read the scriptures, over and over, especially the Book of Mormon. If it's not on the mission reading list, I wouldn't, even now.

Get along with others. Spend time ad learn to love those you CAN'T STAND.

Don't be shocked. Missionaries are young men, real people. What a SHOCK to know what missionaries were sometimes really like after all the images put in my imagination. :ymsick:
:)) Funny, because of the truth behind it... and good tips, Johnny.

StripplingWarrior,

I'd emphasize the need to learn to love well.
Book knowledge is good, but learning to love well is of most importance.
Love's influence is not limited to baptism #s, and may not be obviously countable, but not everything of worth can be counted.
A major part of learning to love well is being able to empathize with others (multiple perspectives) with the spirit's guidance.

You might come across people who are fine and even thriving in their own religions - respect that & always be open to learning yourself. Although our church, IMO, is the best practical application of spirituality, other religions do have some truths that maybe we haven't nailed quite as well.
You might come across people who hate religion, God and everything to do with it. Remember that "hate" is not the opposite of love/caring (apathy/not caring is the opposite of love); hate is frustrated love. Try to find common ground and build on that. IE: If someone doesn't believe in God (as in God of the bible), ask if they believe in Love ("God is love") and if they acknowledge the need to tap into one's higher power (ie subconscious) to live one's full potential.

Express genuine interest in others, and they will be more likely to be interested in you & more likely to trust you.
There's a book I came across the other day that reminded me that Marriage/LOVE/Mission is not for you... it's for those you love.
Of course the greatest commandment is to love others AND yourself, and the mission is a time to let the love you feel within radiate outward to others.