Cleon Skousen | The Cleansing of America

Discuss liberty related books, videos, audio, as well as downloadable resources.
LukeAir2008
captain of 1,000

Re: Cleon Skousen | The Cleansing of America

Post by LukeAir2008 »

reese wrote:
lundbaek wrote:From my observations, I think even many LDSs would get heartburn over the topic. Personally, I'm not bothered by it. But from time to time I get the message that some people think it is, if not an unrighteous endeavour to promote awareness to our “awful situation” (as well as of our responsibilities to maintain our freedom and constitutional principles), it is at best a waste of time that they think could be better spent focusing on other aspects of the gospel. I have very good reasons for promoting awareness to our “awful situation” and our responsibilities to maintain our freedom and constitutional principles. But I can envision some people getting upset over it; more so now even than when Dr. Skousen's "Prophecy and Modern Times" and Duane Crowther's "Prophecy, Key to the Future" first became popular. They both generated controversy just among members of the Church. In these times, an enemy of the Church could have a hayday with this new book, which, I understands, contains most all that was written in "Prophecy and Modern Times".
I agree with you 100%, unfortunately. Hey maybe it really won't create a lot of waves, because almost all LDS's I know would never even read the book. :? Why is that? Seriously what is the problem with people. Why on earth do they get so offended by this topic? And they really do get offended, they take it personally! I have talked to people
who act like you are attacking them personally when these things are talked about.

I'm curious about something. I was a teenager when President Benson was alive. So I
was a bit clueless. But I've heard that many members of the church thought he was "out of line" saying some of the things he did. Is that true? What was it that got members so upset?
Talk of the cleansing of the church can only be upsetting to you if you think that maybe there is a good possibility that it will be you getting cleaned out. :?

KalelIsbell
captain of 100

Post by KalelIsbell »

Just bought my book at Costco $18.00
what i have read so far is good
but a little scary :shock:
Last edited by KalelIsbell on May 10th, 2010, 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wadewilson
captain of 10

Post by wadewilson »

Hi Everyone! This is my first post on the forum, but I have been actively reading all of your posts for almost a year now!
Actually, I bought my copy at Deseret Book, although the price is higher there than
if you buy it directly from the publisher.

ready2prepare
captain of 1,000

Post by ready2prepare »

Hi Wade:

I think you picked a great book,
and a great place, to start.

Welcome! :D :D :D

Best Regards,
Sharon in Mississippi

John Adams
captain of 1,000

Post by John Adams »

Just got mine last week. The first couple chapters about the cleansing are what they are. I think he had one or two sentences leaving the door open for a mass repentance, but for the most part I think he saw the writing on the wall (even in the 90's) that until some mass "humbling" occurs there won't be a people ready to truly live by God's law.

It's the other stuff that he explains about the possibility to then live by God's law after a humbling that is always exciting to me.

So as we prepare for the "cleansing" - get out of debt, food storage, etc.; we also need to be prepared to explain to people in simple terms how we could live by God's law. Will we be prepared to re-create society after the cleansing is a question I think many on this forum should constantly be asking (i.e., will we be humble enough and educated enough as well to be the future "captains" of 10's, 50's, 100's, etc.)?

Also, even with all the frustrations we often have with the supposed "mainstream" members of the church, I still am constantly amazed how the structure of families, home teaching, quorums, wards, stakes, etc. is so similar to the ideal government of God. So even if some in the church may not seem "awake" I still think many are getting the training to re-establish the "community" government once the "cleansing" is done.

The secret combinations are above us, so I feel now more than ever it is our duty to find out what the Spirit wants us each to do individually to prepare for the time when the secret combinations are removed.

What are others' thoughts on the possibility of a mass repentance/awakening (i.e., is Mr. Bennett being ousted a sign of people revisiting the Constitution) vs. having to go through a "cleansing" (i.e., Mr. Bennet being ousted is just another sign of the chaotic state we are in that must be "cleansed")?

Anyway, yes, the thought of the "cleansing" is sometimes scary, but the thought of what we could be with a truly "humble" nation that fears God is glorious.

sackcloth and ashes
captain of 50

Post by sackcloth and ashes »

It was a really good book but I disagree with some of the occupations that will be available during the millenium. Are we really going to have doctors or dentists with a fully awakened priesthood? I don't see the need for modern medicine or medical equipment. I don't remember any records of the Savior being sick and having to rely on a doctor to heal him. He was so purified that illness didn't reside in him. Am I totally off the mark here? I think there will be a lot of teaching in the Millenium on how to live where the majority of occupations will not be needed. What are your opinions?

clarkkent14
LBFOJ

Post by clarkkent14 »

sackcloth and ashes wrote:Are we really going to have doctors or dentists with a fully awakened priesthood?
I haven't read that far into it, but not everyone will be a member of the church, nor will they have the priesthood. That would be my guess.

KalelIsbell
captain of 100

Post by KalelIsbell »

wadewilson wrote:Hi Everyone! This is my first post on the forum, but I have been actively reading all of your posts for almost a year now!
Actually, I bought my copy at Deseret Book, although the price is higher there than
if you buy it directly from the publisher.
Welcome :D

John Adams
captain of 1,000

Post by John Adams »

clarkkent14 wrote:
sackcloth and ashes wrote:Are we really going to have doctors or dentists with a fully awakened priesthood?
I haven't read that far into it, but not everyone will be a member of the church, nor will they have the priesthood. That would be my guess.
Also, while I believe many diseases will disappear with full obedience to the Word of Wisdom, I still think there will be broken bones and other issues that will still require medical treatment, etc. (I can't imagine Heavenly Father taking away the enjoyment of children climbing trees, etc.)

Wasn't it Elder Oaks that gave a talk in the last Priesthood session about the balance between Priesthood blessings and medical technological advances (which I believe are inspired of God anyway)?

sackcloth and ashes
captain of 50

I am not undermining technology. I am very grateful for it. Elder Oaks gave an excellent talk in conference. If anything our technology will look ancient next to what will come forth in the millenium with all truth revealed on the earth and satan bound so that men will not corrupt it or hide it or destroy it for evil design. I just don't see a lot of occupations surviving. My husband is an attorney. He'll be out of a job. Skousen said as much. Regardless I am not worried about people working. There will be so much genealogy and temple work, not to mention missionary work that I'm sure everyone will be actively employed in whatever business they want to do.

John Adams
captain of 1,000

Post by John Adams »

sackcloth and ashes wrote:I am not undermining technology. I am very grateful for it. Elder Oaks gave an excellent talk in conference. If anything our technology will look ancient next to what will come forth in the millenium with all truth revealed on the earth and satan bound so that men will not corrupt it or hide it or destroy it for evil design. I just don't see a lot of occupations surviving. My husband is an attorney. He'll be out of a job. Skousen said as much. Regardless I am not worried about people working. There will be so much genealogy and temple work, not to mention missionary work that I'm sure everyone will be actively employed in whatever business they want to do.
I agree and disagree. Skousen actually had a couple interesting paragraphs on the need for attorneys in a "Zion Society" - just obviously very different than the roles attorneys play now. I agree that many occupations will definitely change (the economy in general will be much more efficient when people are honest), but I still think there will be need for the honest talents that I'm sure your husband has accumulated in trying to be a righteous attorney (and the honest talents that others have accumulated and actually enjoy sharing with their fellow men based upon individuals' righteous desires). I'm an accountant and I believe there will still be need for accountants, but I think that the role we will play will be much different (and also I think the work week will be much shorter). :-)

pjbrownie
captain of 1,000

Post by pjbrownie »

Yeah we'll still have occupations. The difference is they won't do it for mammon. They'll do it because they are needed. They will report their surplus to the bishop and get their stewardship.

sackcloth and ashes
captain of 50

I enjoyed the points brought out in the book because I hadn't really considered that our economy is a type for a better, future one. I just figured that the police would be gone, the attorneys are gone, good bye to doctors and insurance companies . . . etc. It's hard to wrap my head around it.

John Adams
captain of 1,000

Post by John Adams »

pjbrownie wrote:Yeah we'll still have occupations. The difference is they won't do it for mammon. They'll do it because they are needed. They will report their surplus to the bishop and get their stewardship.
It really is inspiring to think about. Maxwell said we all "need" to work for our own well-being (vs. just to get a pay-check). We all probably need to think more often about the talents we have gained through working and if we are (or could eventually become) good stewards over these talents.

But as Skousen mentioned in his book, we only get to think of these "euphoric" thoughts "a moment at a time" until God feels we are ready - so back to the grind for now.

Songbird
captain of 1,000

Post by Songbird »

I am almost finished reading this and it IS wonderful. I am so inspired to live better. Very well done!

LDSguy
captain of 100

Post by LDSguy »

patriotsaint wrote:
Jason wrote:
patriotsaint wrote:

I like his style. Like Patrick Henry said, I want to know the truth and provide for it. Give it to me straight without any frills. There is too much feel-good pandering in the Church today for my taste.
Its a comin' ....just waiting for the final maturity of the wheat and the tares! Gettin' real close!
I just hope I pass muster.......
ditto.

Jason
Master of Puppets

Post by Jason »

Have any of the other three books been released yet?

7cylon7
captain of 1,000

Post by 7cylon7 »

Jason wrote:Have any of the other three books been released yet?

+1... I would love to see them.

lundbaek
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by lundbaek »

I appreciate the efforts of most anyone who attempts to predict future events, especially having tried it myself and having had to wash egg off my face. But I find myself turning more and more these days to this book and the scriptures referenced in it as I try to determine what I can best do to prepare for the future, both immediate and distant. At the same time, even though I fear it may be too late in the game, I still feel constrained to promote the last actual instructions Re. saving our freedoms given to the Church by a prophet, which I believe was in October 1987.

Older/wiser?
captain of 100

Post by Older/wiser? »

Just started reading cleansing of America, try reading Gospel symbolism along with it. Key elements are often over looked in the underlying stories of the B of M which are also in the bible . Learn the new language of symbolism . As far as eggs go we all love them, at least
You have the courage to admit wiping them off, most of us just keep wearing them.

James-T-Prout
captain of 50

Post by James-T-Prout »

I recommended in my own book that all members of the Church read most of W. Cleon Skousen's work.

Including The Cleansing of America

I have shown that most of what Brother Skousen printed in this book (posthumously) is correct.

My project goes deeper into the details of the actual scriptural accounts of prophecy. Including Ezra's Eagle, which Brother Skousen never talked about in his work.

Also, I include the information about current times, as recorded in the scriptures. Including President Donald J. Trump.
Check out the video presentation yourself.

You can watch the video presentation called "What the Scriptures Say About Donald Trump - How Long Will He Last?"
https://www.lastdaystimeline.com/presen ... ras-eagle/