Glenn Beck's Common Sense

Discuss liberty related books, videos, audio, as well as downloadable resources.
lundbaek
Level 34 Illuminated

Glenn Beck's Common Sense

Post by lundbaek »

On Page 9 one reads:
"America has been slowly pulled off the course chartered for us in Philadelphia more than two centuries ago. through legitimate "emergencies" involving war, terror, and economic crises, politicianson both sides have gaathered illigitimate new powers- playing on our fears and desires for security and economic stability - at the expense of our freedoms."

On Pages 89 & 90 one reads:
"It's not just the political class who has mastered the art of political deception. There are other potential deadly masters who will seek to exploit your frustration and sense of desperation. Many will warn you of government tyranny; they'll talk of secret societies, vast conspiracies, shadow governments, and the need for violent action. I urge you to stay away from these individuals and those ideas.
"There is no "star chamber" that needs to be found and destroyed, and there is no global conspiracy playing out. The individuals and groups that propagate those lies have their own agenda. but like all radicals aand revolutionaries, they will eventually seek to impose their rules and lifestyle on us."

He did get one important point right: On Page 60, one reads: "You never waste your vote if you vote your conscience."

BroJones
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: Glenn Beck's Common Sense

Post by BroJones »

It's unfortunate, IMO, that Glenn gets so many things right yet has this "thing" against those who have awakened to the secret combinations warned about in Ether 8 and elsewhere in the scriptures -- and the modern prophets.

Thanks for quoting this from Glenn's book, lundbaek:
There are other potential deadly masters who will seek to exploit your frustration and sense of desperation. Many will warn you of government tyranny; they'll talk of secret societies, vast conspiracies, shadow governments, and the need for violent action. I urge you to stay away from these individuals and those ideas.
"There is no "star chamber" that needs to be found and destroyed, and there is no global conspiracy playing out. The individuals and groups that propagate those lies have their own agenda. but like all radicals aand revolutionaries, they will eventually seek to impose their rules and lifestyle on us."
Was President Benson lying when he warned of secret combinations / conspiracies among us? How about Pres. Packer in his 2007 BYU Devotional address warning that Ether 8:23ff about secret combinations (which he quoted) applies to "us, in our generation" ? I could go on.

And then there is the empirical scientific evidence regarding the presence of red-explosive material -- still unexploded and found in the WTC dust. ARe we to just ignore the scientific data?
(References:

Find the April 2009 published article at this link.

http://www.bentham-open.org/pages/conte ... 7TOCPJ.SGM
also:
http://911research.wtc7.net/essays/ther ... idues.html)
Last edited by BroJones on June 22nd, 2009, 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

pjbrownie
captain of 1,000

Post by pjbrownie »

I understand Glenn's frustration with the agitprop of some purveyors that use conspiracies to ignite violence or revolution. I get it, Glenn. I also agree that for many conspirators, they conspire in ignorance--they do it for their own financial benefit, but are part of no "star chamber". On the other hand, there are those that ARE involved with a consorted effort to overthrow freedom through organized conspiracy. What is communism if not an organized conspiracy.

I imagine that either he really doesn't believe in this, or he's fighting a middle way to gain credibility. I wish he's just leave it on the shelf and not pick it up -- he's going to get burned.

Spence
captain of 1,000

Post by Spence »

I hate piling on Glenn. Doesn't bring me anything. Thanks for the talk by Pres. Packer though Dr. Jones. I read it and it was great.

lundbaek
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by lundbaek »

It is not a matter of "piling on" Glenn Beck, but rather a matter of pointing out misunderstandings and/or errors of judgement on his part that could wrongly influence LDS sheeple who, because of his church membership and publicized conversion to the Gospel and the LDS church, will assume that he can do and say no wrong. That may not be a problem among members of this forum, but I still occasionally hear LDSs raving about how great he is and how informative his programs are. That is the same reason why I beat up on Mitt Romney. His church leadership experience, business successes, and experience in the political arena are all that so many Mormon sheeple look at, instead of considering his demonstrated and documented disdain for certain constitutional and moral principles, and his Moses and the bush wimp out on national TV. Anyone taking his statements and actions seriously could be seeriously misled.

pjbrownie
captain of 1,000

Post by pjbrownie »

This turn by Beck has greatly distressed me; that said, I will not pile on his or consign him to the so-called conspiracies as some do. I have had some time to digest this string that he is on, and I think it could be a brilliant tactic if that's what it is.

Glenn is currently pooh-poohing the conspiracy theories, ie. Bohemian Grovers, Bilderbergers, CFR's, etc. I think it could be a masterstroke and this is why:

The motivations BEHIND these groups are commonplace - greed for money and/or power. They exist within any organized group complete with secret handshakes and oaths, as well as individuals outside of the system that just want money and power in a very disorganized but Adam Smith-y way. In the end, it doesn't matter, it's the motivations behind the groups that we must combat in the end, and it takes the focus off of trying to fight groups and places it into the realm of fighting against certain immoral values. This works whether the organization is the Trilateral Commissioner, the Republican Party, General Electric, George Soros, of the guy that is bilking lenders at the corner mortgage office.

If this is his motivation, then I applaud. If he really doesn't believe in conspirator organizations, he is either ignorant or lying, or tactical. Either way, Captain Moroni lambasted the King Men. I think his tactics, if they are such, are missing this element.

Mahonri
Master
Location: Where you want to be when crap hits the fan, but I'm not telling.

Post by Mahonri »

The problem is, there is a need to know about secret combos, that these things are not happening by "accident". Moroni says that we need to know about these things, so we can do something about it.

Not knowing what is behind something lets us fall prey easier to false saviors like Newt, Mitt, etc.

The Lord told us all, including brother Beck, to waste and wear out our lives exposing the hidden things of darkness, not to poo poo them and call people like Benson and Moroni dangerous people with an evil agenda of their own.

BroJones
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by BroJones »

Well said, lundbaek and Mahonri.
Mahonri wrote:The problem is, there is a need to know about secret combos, that these things are not happening by "accident". Moroni says that we need to know about these things, so we can do something about it.

Not knowing what is behind something lets us fall prey easier to false saviors like Newt, Mitt, etc.

The Lord told us all, including brother Beck, to waste and wear out our lives exposing the hidden things of darkness, not to poo poo them and call people like Benson and Moroni dangerous people with an evil agenda of their own.
D&C 123
13 Therefore, that we should waste and awear out our lives in bringing to light all the bhidden things of darkness, wherein we know them; and they are truly manifest from heaven—
14 These should then be attended to with great aearnestness.
15 Let no man count them as small things; for there is much which lieth in futurity, pertaining to the saints, which depends upon these things.

pjbrownie
captain of 1,000

Post by pjbrownie »

Mahonri wrote:The problem is, there is a need to know about secret combos, that these things are not happening by "accident". Moroni says that we need to know about these things, so we can do something about it.

Agreed

Truth will Prevail
captain of 100

Post by Truth will Prevail »

DrJones wrote:It's unfortunate, IMO, that Glenn gets so many things right yet has this "thing" against those who have awakened to the secret combinations warned about in Ether 8 and elsewhere in the scriptures -- and the modern prophets.

Thanks for quoting this from Glenn's book, lundbaek:
There are other potential deadly masters who will seek to exploit your frustration and sense of desperation. Many will warn you of government tyranny; they'll talk of secret societies, vast conspiracies, shadow governments, and the need for violent action. I urge you to stay away from these individuals and those ideas.
Was President Benson lying when he warned of secret combinations / conspiracies among us? How about Pres. Packer in his 2007 BYU Devotional address warning that Ether 8:23ff about secret combinations (which he quoted) applies to "us, in our generation" ? I could go on.

And then there is the empirical scientific evidence regarding the presence of red-explosive material -- still unexploded and found in the WTC dust. ARe we to just ignore the scientific data?
(References:

Find the April 2009 published article at this link.

http://www.bentham-open.org/pages/conte ... 7TOCPJ.SGM
also:
http://911research.wtc7.net/essays/ther ... idues.html)

This says it all. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tttAr4u7dL8

pjbrownie
captain of 1,000

Post by pjbrownie »

I noticed a shift in his discussion a few month ago during the FEMA camps thing. He seemed to go in a direction where he was going to discuss them under the concept that they were a threat, then had this sudden about face. I wonder if someone got to him.