"Defiance" a timely movie

Discuss liberty related books, videos, audio, as well as downloadable resources.
hedgehog
captain of 100

"Defiance" a timely movie

Post by hedgehog »

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1034303/

When i watch a movie i put myself in that persons shoes and ask how i would and should react to or handle situations. Plenty of useful and thought provoking ambiguities and uncertain gray moral areas. It is a similar theme to "tent cities" which are discussed here not infrequently. i haven't seen a holocaust movie for a months as they had often become similar. For me however this was a wholly different take and perspective.

On the run and hiding in the deep forests of the then German occupied Poland and Belorussia (World War II), the three Bielski brothers find the impossible task of foraging for food and weapons for their survival. They live, not only with the fear of discovery, contending with neighboring Soviet partisans and knowing whom to trust but also take the responsibility of looking after a large mass of fleeing Polish Jews from the German war machine. Women, men, children, the elderly and the young alike are all hiding in makeshift homes in the dark, cold and unforgiving forests in the darkest times of German occupied Eastern Europe. Written by Cinema_Fan

After the Nazi invasion of Poland in September 1939, the Bielski brothers escape the slaughter and hide in the woods. Soon they are joined by many others, all running from the savagery being inflicted on the Jews. The eldest of the Bielski brother, Tuvia and Zus, disagree over what to do with the growing forest population. Tuvye believes that they must welcome anyone who wants to join them while Zus thinks they should be fighting the Germans.

the below quote of course captures the dark
Jewish Elder: Merciful God, we commit our friends - Ben Zion and Krensky - to You. We have no more prayers, no more tears; we have run out of blood. Choose another people. We have paid for each of Your commandments; we have covered every stone and field with ashes. Sanctify another land. Choose another people. Teach them the deeds and the prophesies. Grant us but one more gift: take back our holiness. Amen

ChelC
The Law

Re: "Defiance" a timely movie

Post by ChelC »

Don't know much about the movie, but Mila 18 is a great book about similar content. It takes place in Poland in the Warsaw ghetto and follows various people through the ever increasing restrictions on the Jewish people. It's a tough book to read, but I thought it was worthwhile. Starts out with some questionable content, but I plowed through because it was recommended by my dad, and I'm glad I did. Like your quote above, some of the characters struggle with finding strength in their religion, and others who were previously less devout come around to find their faith and pride in being Jewish. I thought it was pretty honest to human nature, and answered a lot of questions I had about how things could possibly escalate to the point they did without a larger organized revolt.

hedgehog
captain of 100

Post by hedgehog »

That does look interesting i'm hunting around now for an audiobook version.

Boy those poor polish people man do they always get the shortend of every stick. when i play video games that let you conquer Europe i always play as the polish because they deserve their day in the sun.

J
captain of 50

Post by J »

[...]
Last edited by J on September 14th, 2012, 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lavaman
Hi, I'm new.

Post by lavaman »

I listened to the audiobook and saw the movie and I have the book for future reference. Very good. If you had to choose, read or listen to the book. The movie has a lot of entertainment value but you miss 90% of the overall value of the story. Anyone who wants to be a survivor, or more than a survivor, would do well to at least see the movie (with a content editor or course). Kids-in-mind.com has a great content review as well.