Conversations with God/BEWARE!!

Discuss liberty related books, videos, audio, as well as downloadable resources.
Mullenite
captain of 1,000

Conversations with God/BEWARE!!

Post by Mullenite »

BEWARE!!

If you have children or grandchildren, work with children at church, or you
have neighborhood children whose parents you know, please take note of the
information below and pass it along to others. Schools are distributing this
book to children through the Scholastic Book Club.

The name of the book is Conversations with God.. James Dobson talked about
this book twice this s week. It is devastating. Parents, churches and
Christian schools need to be aware of it. Please pass this information on to
church/e-mail addresses, Parents, Grandparents, Aunts, Uncles, Cousins,
friends.

Please pay special attention not only to what your kids watch on TV, in
movie theaters, on the internet, and the music they listen to, but also be
alert regarding the books they read.

Two particular books are, Conversations with God and Conversations with God
for Teens, written by Neale D. Walsch. They sound harmless enough by their
titles alone. The books have been on the New York Times best sellers list
for a number of weeks, and they make truth of the statement, "Don't judge a
book by its cover or title."

The author purports to answer various questions asked by kids using the
"voice of God". However, the "answers" that he gives are not Bible-based and
go against the very infallible word of God. For instance (and I paraphrase),
when a girl asks the question "Why am I a lesbian?" His answer is that she
was 'born that way' because of genetics (just as you were born right-handed,
with brown eyes, etc.). Then he tells her to go out and "celebrate" her
differences.

Another girls poses the question "I am living with my boyfriend. My parents say that I should marry him because I am living in sin. Should I marry him?"

His reply is, "Who are you sinning against? Not me, because you have done nothing wrong."

Another question asks about God's forgiveness of sin. His reply "I do not forgive anyone because there is nothing to forgive. There is no such thing as right or wrong and that is what I have been trying to tell everyone, do not judge people. People have chosen to judge one another and this is wrong, because the rule is "'judge not lest ye be judged."

Not only are these books the false doctrine of the devil, but in some instances quote (in error) the Word of God.

And the list goes on. These books (and others like it) are being sold to schoolchildren through (The Scholastic Book Club), and we need to be aware of what is being fed to our children.

Our children are under attack. So I pray that you be sober and vigilant about teaching your children the Word of God, and guarding their exposure to worldly mediums, because our adversary, the devil, roams about as a roaring lion seeking whom he may devour (1 Peter 5:8). We know that lions usually hunt for the slowest, weakest and YOUNGEST of its prey.

Pass this on to every Believer you know. God bless! And, if you are in doubt, check out the books yourself.

minuet1
captain of 100

Re: Conversations with God/BEWARE!!

Post by minuet1 »

I just did some searching on the internet and see that Scholastic, Inc. has pulled the book from catalogues sent to Christian schools. I also read excerpts from the book - very, very disturbing.

AussieOi
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by AussieOi »

what do they define as "god"?

do you suppose we LDS have a mortgage on the term "god"

what do we expect?

Cookies
captain of 100

Post by Cookies »

Uhhh? Has anybody Not paranoid read this book? :p
A Buddhist guy from work recommended it to me. I can't seem to put it down. There are some very intriguing thoughts expressed within these pages! I haven't yet run into any of the ones quoted in the OP....

I thought this one sounded about right-
...when others have told you how you should feel, and it runs directly counter to how you do feel—you experience a deep inner conflict. Something deep inside you tells you that what others have told you is not Who You Are. Now where to go with that? What to do?

The first place you go is to your religionists—the people who put you there in the first place. You go to your priests and your rabbis and your ministers and your teachers, and they tell you to stop listening to your Self. The worst of them will try to scare you away from it; scare you away from what you intuitively know.

They’ll tell you about the devil, about Satan, about demons and evil spirits and hell and damnation and every frightening thing they can think of to get you to see how what you were intuitively knowing and feeling was wrong, and how the only place you’ll find any comfort is in their thought, their idea, their theology, their definitions of right and wrong, and their concept of Who You Are.

The seduction here is that all you have to do to get instant approval is to agree. Agree and you have instant approval. Some will even sing and shout and dance and wave their arms in hallelujah!

That’s hard to resist. Such approval, such rejoicing that you have seen the light; that you’ve been saved!

Approvals and demonstrations seldom accompany inner decisions. Celebrations rarely surround choices to follow personal truth. In fact, quite the contrary. Not only may others fail to celebrate, they may actually subject you to ridicule. What? You’re thinking for yourself? You’re deciding on your own? You’re applying your own yardsticks, your own judgments, your own values? Who do you think you are, anyway?

And, indeed, that is precisely the question you are answering.
Check it out for yourself!- http://www.universe-people.com/english/ ... _god_1.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

davedan
captain of 1,000

Post by davedan »

Personal Truth? There is only truth. False religions do fearmonger and manipulate belief but the truth can be found and personally confirmed in the LDS Faith.

Satan created false religion and their false tactics and loves to point the finger at what his left hand has done and drive people straight into his right hand.

Just because someone can define the problem doesnt mean their solution to that problem is correct. I see this in alternative medicine all the time.

Robert Sinclair
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robert Sinclair »

It has been broadcast that the publisher has withdrawn this book as the boy has admitted that he lied about going to heaven and made it all up for attention because it gave him lots of attention.

So he also stated he had not read the bible and just made up the story.

You can Google this and get the latest information about this.

Hope this helps. ♡ :)

See- http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/sty ... publisher/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Cookies
captain of 100

Post by Cookies »

Robert Sinclair wrote:It has been broadcast that the publisher has withdrawn this book as the boy has admitted that he lied about going to heaven and made it all up for attention because it gave him lots of attention.

So he also stated he had not read the bible and just made up the story.

You can Google this and get the latest information about this.

Hope this helps. ♡ :)

See- http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/sty ... publisher/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The books in question in this thread, are those written by Neale Donald Walsch- not Alex or Kevin Malarkey

Neale's experience seems to be the book itself.
In the spring of 1992—it was around Easter as I recall—an extraordinary phenomenon occurred in my life. God began talking with you. Through me.

Let me explain.

I was very unhappy during that period, personally, professionally, and emotionally, and my life was feeling like a failure on all levels. As I’d been in the habit for years of writing my thoughts down in letters (which I usually never delivered), I picked up my trusty yellow legal pad and began pouring out my feelings.

This time, rather than another letter to another person I imagined to be victimizing me, I thought I’d go straight to the source; straight to the greatest victimizer of them all. I decided to write a letter to God.

It was a spiteful, passionate letter, full of confusions, contortions, and condemnations. And a pile of angry questions. Why wasn’t my life working? What would it take to get it to work? Why could I not find happiness in relationships? Was the experience of adequate money going to elude me forever? Finally —and most emphatically—What had I done to deserve a life of such continuing struggle?

To my surprise, as I scribbled out the last of my bitter, unanswerable questions and prepared to toss my pen aside, my hand remained poised over the paper, as if held there by some invisible force. Abruptly, the pen began moving on its own. I had no idea what I was about to write, but an idea seemed to be coming, so I decided to flow with it. Out came…

mhewett
captain of 100

Post by mhewett »

Cookies wrote:Uhhh? Has anybody Not paranoid read this book? ......

Check it out for yourself!- http://www.universe-people.com/english/ ... _god_1.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Cookie you are possibly looking at the wrong book. Now I haven't read either of the books but the one referred to in the OP in reference to lesbianism appears to be from "Conversations from God for teens".

Here is a comment off of Amazon.com,

"The problem with this book is that the title is very deceptive. I think that most people would assume that this books is talking about conversations with the God of the Bible. Reading some of the answers from "God," it is obvious that is not true. A more appropriate title would be: Conversations with the god of Your own Making or Conversations with the god Within Yourself. Call me a "Bible banger" if you like, but the reality is that the God of the Bible would never tell a teen that there, "is no right from wrong," or to go out and celebrate her lesbianism. You can label me intolerant too, but it isn't me that is intolerant, it would be the God of the Bible who is intolerant, intolerant of sin. The bad reviews written about this book are, for the most part, coming from people who share the Christian faith that is followers of Jesus Christ and if you understand the true Christian Faith, you will understand why certain reviewers are upset by this book. So if you are a Christian, this is not the book for your teen. If you believe in moral relativism or even nothing at all, this would be the book for you"

Here's another,

"I bought two copies of this book: One for my daughter and one for my niece. I have learned a huge lesson...never judge a book by its cover! The book states several times that there is no point or purpose to life. How sad. It left me feeling that we will live existentially if we follow the god in this book. The book suggests that there are no consequences for sin because God doesn't forgive sin since he's not offended by it. On at least one page, the book refers to God in the female sense, never saying that God is female, but using pronouns such as "her" and "she." This book, in my opinion, is spiritual poison. I'm very disappointed in Scholastic for distributing a book like this; I always thought the books from Scholastic would be safe to read. This book describes a new age god and attempts to mislead, misinform and confuse our teenagers."

How about one more,

"I find it curious that the leading blurb would cite "Claudia, age 16, from Perth, Australia, asks, "Why can't I just have sex with everybody? What's the big deal?", the answer God offers her is: "Nothing you do will ever be okay with everybody. 'Everybody' is a large word. The real question is can you have sex and have it be okay with you?""
That the author would suggest that God would want a young girl to engage in sexually immoral behavior is offensive. It violates what is written repeatedly all through scripture.
This type of thinking casts aside that God has set standards for His people. Those who believe that a God who has written law, who even created a top ten list, is okay with people just doing whatever they feel so long as they can live with it are wrong.
Yes, the word was wrong. Right and wrong are terms that the Left have seemed to forget exist, unless it interferes with their desire to engage in licentious behavior.
You can't cheat on exams, as the book says is okay to "do what you have to do". You can't engage in sin and call it sanctity.
If we are to believe the author, then the God he's conversing with is Jehovah, only the author doesn't seem to have ever read the Bible, or if so, has rejected it's authenticity, and rejected its teachings. The bible repeatedly states the will of God, but the author seems to have placed these extreme left wing lies upon unsuspecting youth, and parents who will purchase this thinking it is a meaningful reading experience.
You want conversations with God, try reading the Bible."

I don't know what is in "Conversations with God", but if it anything like the book for teens, it is not a book that will ever sit on my bookshelf.

Cookies
captain of 100

Post by Cookies »

mhewett wrote: Cookie you are possibly looking at the wrong book. Now I haven't read either of the books but the one referred to in the OP in reference to lesbianism appears to be from "Conversations from God for teens".
Yes, It is.
I was still reading "Conversations with God" and it seemed to set the stage for his other writings, so I was expecting to get more context to go with the idea's that are quoted in the OP. (Even the Book of Mormon can sound horrible when taken out of context.) I did get a LITTLE more context, enough to assume that they're probably not as bad as they sound... but they still might be! I wouldn't know, I haven't decided to read that one yet.

Cookies
captain of 100

Post by Cookies »

One thing I think a lot of readers miss is that these are conversations with Neale's interpretation/projection or understanding of God. "His god" states that a while into first book, as soon as Neale discovers it. A lot of people get upset when the god in his book differs from the god in the scriptures and they assume that 100% of what Neale writes must be the devils work. If somebody feels that way then I'm sure the book will be of no benefit to them.

mhewett
captain of 100

Post by mhewett »

Cookies wrote:One thing I think a lot of readers miss is that these are conversations with Neale's interpretation/projection or understanding of God. "His god" states that a while into first book, as soon as Neale discovers it. A lot of people get upset when the god in his book differs from the god in the scriptures and they assume that 100% of what Neale writes must be the devils work. If somebody feels that way then I'm sure the book will be of no benefit to them.
Fair enough Cookies but if the comments I have read about that book are anything to go by, even if that was all I had to go on, i would not let my child read it. there may very well be a lot of truth in that book but then the words "the philosophies of men, mingled with scripture" come to mind and as you say, 'if somebody feels that way then I'm sure the book will be of no benefit to them'. I'll give it a miss, our children go to a Christian School and one of the seniors books i've got to say was a bit strong on sexual content, very descriptive in the way it painted a picture in your mind of what was happening. We have to be aware, not just of this book but of any book in our schools.

Cookies
captain of 100

Post by Cookies »

mhewett wrote:Fair enough Cookies but if the comments I have read about that book are anything to go by, even if that was all I had to go on, i would not let my child read it. there may very well be a lot of truth in that book but then the words "the philosophies of men, mingled with scripture" come to mind and as you say, 'if somebody feels that way then I'm sure the book will be of no benefit to them'. I'll give it a miss, our children go to a Christian School and one of the seniors books I've got to say was a bit strong on sexual content, very descriptive in the way it painted a picture in your mind of what was happening. We have to be aware, not just of this book but of any book in our schools.
There probably ARE some philosophies of man in there.
but I feel like there's probably philosophies of man mingled with everything. Even the inspired writers of the Book of Mormon had to be limited by their own understanding, right? It's too hard not to be influenced (at all) by our own idea's. That's why It's SO important to learn how to sort through fact and fiction, truth and untruth. Even if it's coming from ourselves.

I agree that we should be aware, It couldn't hurt to do what we can to minimize the risk of our children being subject to material that we feel is inappropriate- We should also remember to teach them correct principles and let them learn (Sometimes the hard way :-ss ) how to get along without our constant monitoring.

I don't think the first book "Conversations With God" is worth throwing a fit over (Not sure about the other) but it's something that should be read with the right spirit. I would recommend it for the spiritually prepared but yeah, I get why someone would rather not read it. That's cool. I can certainly see where others are coming from. Had I not perceived any light in the guy that suggested it to me, I probably would not have read it myself. Lot's of creepy reviews out there. While I don't regret reading the book, I'm sure you and others can find more palatable ways to obtain the same truths.

wargames83
captain of 100

Post by wargames83 »

Cookies wrote:
mhewett wrote: Cookie you are possibly looking at the wrong book. Now I haven't read either of the books but the one referred to in the OP in reference to lesbianism appears to be from "Conversations from God for teens".
Yes, It is.
I was still reading "Conversations with God" and it seemed to set the stage for his other writings, so I was expecting to get more context to go with the idea's that are quoted in the OP. (Even the Book of Mormon can sound horrible when taken out of context.) I did get a LITTLE more context, enough to assume that they're probably not as bad as they sound... but they still might be! I wouldn't know, I haven't decided to read that one yet.
From the link you posted earlier it seems like you are reading the original CONVERSATIONS WITH GOD. Is all that context in the teen version, which is presumably dumbed down?