GREAT book!

Discuss liberty related books, videos, audio, as well as downloadable resources.
JohnnyL
Level 34 Illuminated

GREAT book!

Post by JohnnyL »

668 views and not one reply...

Something Wicked This Way Comes (Ray Bradbury)
really made me feel something I haven't felt for a long time.

Wow, what a book!!! If you haven't read it, I suggest it! It's slightly scary, but not bad, and not bad with content too much, though it's got a lot of JC/ God profanity.

The writing! It is rough but powerful, tangible, palpable; and many times better than Fahrenheit 451. Probably has the shortest chapter in literature.

If you love literature, you will love this book!

Red
captain of 100

Re: GREAT book!

Post by Red »

That IS a great book.

passionflower
captain of 1,000

Post by passionflower »

This is truly an unforgettable story.

BTW, JohnnyL, I got online and found that History book by Will Durant you highly recommended a way back and listened to an audio recording. Thanks!

JohnnyL
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by JohnnyL »

I'll have to admit the part about laughing was... oh well. We know not to laugh at the devil, though maybe it wasn't quite that.

I can't believe we didn't have to read it for school, and read so many lesser books instead.

JohnnyL
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by JohnnyL »

Just finished Dandelion Wine--another great Ray Bradbury book! I remember thinking "what a dumb book that must be" from the title for... many decades. Finally read it, and wow! I had a really good cry when Doug gets sick--haven't had an experience like that for a long time.

READ!

David13
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by David13 »

I am currently reading LIfe of Tom Horn, by Tom Horn.
Old west history.
That's what I like to read, tho' I don't read many books any more.
I never much liked fiction anyway.
One I last read (had to buy since the library didn't have it) was Logan: The Honorable Life and Scandalous Death of a Western Lawman.
Again a lot of old west history from a true point of view.
dc

JohnnyL
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by JohnnyL »

Dandelion Wine is close enough an autobiography of one summer, I guess.

Good to hear you're reading! If you enjoy those kinds of books, here's one for you:
"The Memoirs of Colonel John S. Mosby" . 99c on amazon kindle.

David13
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by David13 »

Thanks
I will look for it.
There are two places to read it free online, and a audio book also. It's in the library here but only on reserve. I still may be able to get it there.
Sometimes they have a book for .99 plus shipping. Maybe I'll find one.
dc

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

JohnnyL wrote:668 views and not one reply...

Something Wicked This Way Comes (Ray Bradbury)
really made me feel something I haven't felt for a long time.

Wow, what a book!!! If you haven't read it, I suggest it! It's slightly scary, but not bad, and not bad with content too much, though it's got a lot of JC/ God profanity.

The writing! It is rough but powerful, tangible, palpable; and many times better than Fahrenheit 451. Probably has the shortest chapter in literature.

If you love literature, you will love this book!
https://www.amazon.com/Something-Wicked ... B0001I55U6" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

JohnnyL
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by JohnnyL »

And then, there's this: "Day was always over. Night was always coming. And aren't you always afraid... that the sun will never rise again?"