For those who wish to save our Constitution

Discuss liberty related books, videos, audio, as well as downloadable resources.
lundbaek
Level 34 Illuminated

For those who wish to save our Constitution

Post by lundbaek »

For those who wish to save our Constitution, here are the books that I have found very informative and will help us carry out our responsibility:

Fwd'd by Lundbæk with links to online versions

The Elders of Israel and the Constitution, by Jerome Horowitz

Why reissue a 21 year old book? Read it online

THE ELDERS OF ISRAEL AND THE CONSTITUTION by Jerome Horowitz
http://www.inspiredconstitution.org/jh_eic/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

With very little advertising, the original The Elders of Israel and the Constitution has been in continual demand since it was first published in 1970. Over the years many people have said it was that book that opened their understanding of the Constitution and motivated them to become actively engaged in seeking to preserve it.

The sixth printing of the first edition was sold out in 1988. This edition is in response to many requests to make the book available again.

What to include in a new edition.

Having decided to reissue the book, the next question was what changes to make.

The original book was mentioned favorably, by name, by Ezra Taft Benson in his April 1972 General Conference address entitled "Civic Standards For the Faithful Saints."

Among the appreciative letters received from readers was one from Jerreld L. Newquist, author of Prophets, Principles and National Survival. He wrote:

"This is certainly the clearest exposition of this inspired document that I have ever read, especially from the L.D.S. point of view. Your explanations have been made systematically and in such a clear manner that there is no difficulty for the reader to thoroughly understand the points you make."
Another letter was from Howard S. Bennion, who had been top man at West Point, a wartime army general, head of Edison Electric Institute, a stake president and a patriarch, and who was unusually knowledgeable on the inner workings of the highest levels of government. He wrote:

"Your book is filled with authenticated material, honestly and intelligently selected and clearly presented. It is the work of an unusually clear, understanding, comprehensively informed and inspired mind."

An especially thrilling letter was one from my father Jacob I. Horowitz, himself a lawyer and author, who thought I had lost my mind when I joined the Mormon Church. He wrote:

"I spent a night and a day reading your book, The Elders of Israel and the Constitution. It is a masterpiece and may well be a landmark, a turning point in the salvation of our society from the mess it is in."
Although I am the "author" who "wrote" the book, I believe that there was a great deal of inspiration involved in the process and that to a considerable extent I was more of a Conduit than an author.

In view of the many favorable comments and my own and others' feeling that the book really did involve considerable inspiration, I have concluded to add this new Preface and leave the original text unchanged except for some minor corrections.

A valuable perspective.

Another advantage of leaving the original text unchanged is that reading material written in a time frame of more than 20 years ago should add a valuable perspective to increase understanding of matters of concern today. Here are some examples of important current issues followed by chapters in the book containing helpful information on those issues.

President Bush has repeatedly referred to a "new world order" involving a revitalized United Nations having the power to act as a sort of world policeman. Is this a desirable system or does it pose a danger to our freedom?

See Chapter 13 entitled "The Constitution and the World."
In view of the wide difference of opinion on separation of church and state, what is the place of religion in a free society?

See Chapter 4 entitled "The Indispensable Ingredient" and Chapter 5 entitled "Separation of Church and State."
Today there is heated argument over whether the Constitution should be interpreted according to the ordinary meaning of its words or whether those words should be stretched to cover what are perceived to be different needs. How strictly should the Constitution be interpreted? See Chapter 8 entitled "How Flexible Is the Constitution?" and Chapter 9 entitled "The Lord's Standard of Constitutionality."

What actions should we take to preserve Constitutional freedom?

See Chapter 10 entitled "The Real Threat Against the Constitution," Chapter 11 entitled "Examining Proposed Changes" and Chapter 17 entitled "What Should Latter-day Saints Do?--An Action Program."
This listing of some important current issues and helpful information on them in the book is far from complete. Even on the few issues mentioned, the brief references to particular chapters do not call attention to the material on those issues in other parts of the book.

While the book is addressed especially to Latter-day Saints, I am grateful that non LDS readers have found it so helpful.

Jerome Horowitz

The Constitution of the Founding Fathers, by Jerome Horowitz (study guide to the above book.)

Jerome Horowitz has written this studious and informative study guide for Latter-day Saints wishing a greater in-depth knowledge of the intent of our Founding Fathers and the practicality of the United States Constitution today. This study guide is intended as a companion to the author’s best-selling book, “The Elders of Israel and the Constitution” and asks that the reader also have ready access to “The Federalist Papers” and the Holy Scriptures.

Brother Horowitz introduces the Constitution by explaining that “today most judges and legal scholars march to a different drum than that heard by the Framers of the Constitution. In fact, in recent years many have had such disdain for the Framer’s Constitution that they have openly ceased even giving the appearance of respecting it.” Among those several documented reasons for the unpopularity of the Constitution, Brother Horowitz discusses the United Nations and waning sovereignty of the United States, the role of public education, and various agendas of tax-exempt foundations.

Reviewing the Constitution article by article and clause by clause, this guide emphasizes the divine nature of the Constitution, the inspiration of the Founding Fathers, and the responsibilities of Latter-day Saints today. 148pp.

The United States Has Two Constitutions, by Jerome Horowitz

Read it online
THE UNITED STATES HAS TWO CONSTITUTIONS by the late Jerome Horowitz.
http://www.inspiredconstitution.org/jh_gk/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Joseph Smith prophesied that when the U.S. Constitution is in great danger the Latter-day Saints would play a major role in the effort to preserve it. How can they fulfill that responsibility when they are not experts in Constitutional law?

This book shows that the Lord's statement that He established the Constitution through wise men He raised up unto that very purpose means that the Constitution is based on gospel principles. It also shows that Latter-day Saints who are accustomed to applying God-given truths are especially qualified to understand and apply the Constitution, while the usual experts tend to misinterpret it because their thinking is oriented in a different direction. They have come up with a "Constitution" vastly different from the document the Lord inspired.

Bee Prepared
captain of 1,000

Re: For those who wish to save our Constitution

Post by Bee Prepared »

There should be more interest in this post. I am greatly lacking in this area. Thank-you for the information.

Ezra Taft Benson
" Our Divine Constitution"

As Jefferson said, “If a nation expects to be ignorant and free … it expects what never was and never will be” (Letter to Colonel Charles Yancey, 6 Jan. 1816).

The Lord said that “he holds men accountable for their acts in relation” to governments “both in making laws and administering them” (D&C 134:1). We must follow this counsel from the Lord: “Honest men and wise men should be sought for diligently, and good men and wise men ye should observe to uphold; otherwise whatsoever is less than these cometh of evil” (D&C 98:10).

Zathura
Follow the Prophet

Post by Zathura »

While I think It's important to study up on this topic, I don't think that we can save the constitution. Just like everything went to hell in the Book of Mormon on this continent TWICE, it's happening again.
I don't look too much into conspiracy theories, but I do know that there are secret combinations at work in our day, and it's just as bad as it was in the Book of Mormon.

We can only pray for deliverance and warn our neighbor, and prepare spiritually for that which is to come.

lundbaek
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by lundbaek »

We can do more than just pray for deliverance and warn our neighbor, and prepare spiritually for that which is to come. We can learn the principles of the US Constitution in, as President Benson said, "the tradition of the Founding Fathers", or as President McKay said, "as the Founders meant it to be understood". Then we can do our best to get others, especially our children and grandchildren to learn these things. We can also do what we can to uphold and abide by those principles and in so doing set an example for our progeny in hopes that they will be among those "elders of Israel" who will save/restore the Constitution.

In a 2010 email to me Brother Horowitz wrote "I believe Brother Benson and D&C 98 both refer to the original Constitution written under inspiration by the Framers. When D&C 98 was received in 1833 there was still a strong attachment to the original Constitution. In contrast I think what is today widely thought as constitutional law is largely the philosophy of men mingled with out of context fragments of the Constitution.
"Confirming our telephone conversation I think the Church is cautious about openly participating in freedom promotion activities partly because of concern about government retribution that might unduly hinder its primary religious mission and partly because so many members haved been indoctrinated to favor federal dominance and federal welfare and regulation that there is concern that a strong constitutional position might split the Church." It seems clear to me that those of us who wish to save/restore our Constitution should not wait for instructions from the Prophet. I have a friend who about a year ago asked one of the apostles in a home teaching setting, "Should the members of the Church still study and live by the U.S. Constitution?" The reply was "Absolutely.... the Constitution has not become less, but more, important in our day."