The Gate, from the Writings of the Ancients by K.K Fowlikes

Discuss liberty related books, videos, audio, as well as downloadable resources.
sally
captain of 100

The Gate, from the Writings of the Ancients by K.K Fowlikes

Post by sally »

Want your world turned upside down? This is a very interesting book. Definately a view outside of the box.

It is mostly supports the idea that God is against the killing of animals and has been from the beginning.

I personally feel that if I don't eat meat, the spirit can be with me more. This is my experience. For this reason, I feel there is truth in this book.

My husband says it is a hoax that undermines all the scriptures (he has never tried being a vegetarian).

You have to read it and decide for yourself.

shadow
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: The Gate, from the Writings of the Ancients by K.K Fowlikes

Post by shadow »

If God is against killing and eating animals how do you explain 1 Nephi 17:2 and 18:6? There are many other scriptural references about eating meat.

I agree with the word of wisdom in eating meat sparingly. But cutting it out completely probably does not give anyone a moral high ground in receiving the spirit more abundantly.

sally
captain of 100

Post by sally »

Let me tell you why I think the spirit is with me more when I don't eat meat. Number one is that I have more patience and treat people kinder. I don't lose my tempter as much. There is a noticeable change in my temperment.
In the word of wisdom, it says to eat meat sparingly. It should only be used in times of winter, or cold or famine.
In the gate it explains that meat was a word that was also used for food from plants and flesh was the word often used for food from animals.

Genesis 9:11 (Joseph Smith translation)- And surely, blood shall not be shed, only for meat, to save your lives; and the blood of every beast will I require at your hands.

ShawnC
Minion

Post by ShawnC »

Doctrine and Covenenants 49
18 And whoso forbiddeth to abstain from meats, that man should not eat the same, is not ordained of God;
19 For, behold, the beasts of the field and the fowls of the air, and that which cometh of the earth, is ordained for the use of man for food and for raiment, and that he might have in abundance.
20 But it is not given that one man should possess that which is above another, wherefore the world lieth in sin.
21 And wo be unto man that sheddeth blood or that wasteth flesh and hath no need.
This is one I have wondered about. I believe that the Lord was making a point here that we should not be like the Quakers and abstain from meat, and that he created animals for our use. But I do not believe that this overrides the WoW, simply that meat is good to have, but still use sparingly.

Shawn
Last edited by ShawnC on May 8th, 2008, 2:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Steve Clark
captain of 1,000

Post by Steve Clark »

sally wrote:Let me tell you why I think the spirit is with me more when I don't eat meat. Number one is that I have more patience and treat people kinder. I don't lose my tempter as much. There is a noticeable change in my temperment.
In the word of wisdom, it says to eat meat sparingly. It should only be used in times of winter, or cold or famine.
In the gate it explains that meat was a word that was also used for food from plants and flesh was the word often used for food from animals.

Genesis 9:11 (Joseph Smith translation)- And surely, blood shall not be shed, only for meat, to save your lives; and the blood of every beast will I require at your hands.
You know I heard this argument from a man who came to my parents' home when I was young. He was telling us eating meat is a sin and that the Bible didn't really say that Christ was eating fish... that words like that meant eating bread... I can't remember all that he was saying, but I do remember the feeling got listening to that man. He wasn't speaking truth.

It may be good to read 1 Tim ch. 4. Here is part of that chapter.
Now the Spirit speaketh expressly, that in the latter times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits, and doctrines of devils;
Speaking lies in hypocrisy; having their conscience seared with a hot iron;
Forbidding to marry, and commanding to abstain from meats, which God hath created to be received with thanksgiving of them which believe and know the truth.
For every creature of God is good, and nothing to be refused, if it be received with thanksgiving:

Let us not depart from the faith by giving heed to seducing spirits and doctrines of the devil.

shadow
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by shadow »

sally wrote:Let me tell you why I think the spirit is with me more when I don't eat meat. Number one is that I have more patience and treat people kinder. I don't lose my tempter as much. There is a noticeable change in my temperment.
But didn't you also cut out processed foods? A healthy diet can certainly help one feel better. But that does not mean one has to cut out meat from his/her diet.

I don't see anything wrong with being a vegetarian. But it is a choice based on preference, it isn't doctrinal. It is still OK to eat meat. Speaking of which, I need to fire up the BarB!

sally
captain of 100

Post by sally »

14freedom wrote: It may be good to read 1 Tim ch. 4. Here is part of that chapter.
Now the Spirit speaketh expressly, that in the latter times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits, and doctrines of devils;
Speaking lies in hypocrisy; having their conscience seared with a hot iron;
Forbidding to marry, and commanding to abstain from meats, which God hath created to be received with thanksgiving of them which believe and know the truth.
For every creature of God is good, and nothing to be refused, if it be received with thanksgiving:
Later on in the chapter, this same author says "For bodily exercise profiteth little;" which is not true.

shadow
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by shadow »

Little in this case means a little while. (It's good to check the footnotes)

sally
captain of 100

Post by sally »

The gate has this to say about 1 tim 4:3: "The word used here for meats is broma, which means food. 'To use this passage to discredit Christian vegetarianism is really a misapplication of these verses, since the issue here is not food but Christian freedom, and that Paul was warning against forced asceticism, not vegetarianism based upon compasson for animals.'"

Here is an interesting tidbit from the book:

"In the article 'Don't let the rage continue,' by Thomas L. Rogers, he discusses how flesh foods cause aggressive behavior:
Genghis Kahn, Atilla the Hun, Napoleon, Hitler and history's most brutal warriors knew nothing of the bio-chemistry of cholestrerol! but they intuitively understood the relationship of a dairy and flesh diet in raising the aggression and violence levels of their soldiers- and so made certain that pre-battle meals were high in animal-sourced foods! [The amino acid tyrosine, which is abundantly supplied in protien-rich diets, produces in the brain the chemical, dopamine; a behavioral marker of dopamine is enhanced activity and aggression.]
Both Hitler's and the Allies' seasoned and experienced soldiers knew ahead, when they were going to be called to battle--in the next few days if their rations of cheese, eggs milk and flesh were raised! (see book/film: All is Quiet on the Western Front)

sally
captain of 100

Post by sally »

shadow wrote:
But didn't you also cut out processed foods? A healthy diet can certainly help one feel better. But that does not mean one has to cut out meat from his/her diet.

I don't see anything wrong with being a vegetarian. But it is a choice based on preference, it isn't doctrinal. It is still OK to eat meat. Speaking of which, I need to fire up the BarB!
Very cute statement. A few years ago, when I learned that milk products and meat were not good for you and probably the cause of most of our modern diseases, I just cut out those two things and became a vegetarian for a month. I noticed the change in my temperment then also.

Steve Clark
captain of 1,000

Post by Steve Clark »

sally wrote:The gate has this to say about 1 tim 4:3: "The word used here for meats is broma, which means food. 'To use this passage to discredit Christian vegetarianism is really a misapplication of these verses, since the issue here is not food but Christian freedom, and that Paul was warning against forced asceticism, not vegetarianism based upon compasson for animals.'"

"In the article 'Don't let the rage continue,' by Thomas L. Rogers, he discusses how flesh foods cause aggressive behavior:
Genghis Kahn, Atilla the Hun, Napoleon, Hitler and history's most brutal warriors knew nothing of the bio-chemistry of cholestrerol! but they intuitively understood the relationship of a dairy and flesh diet in raising the aggression and violence levels of their soldiers- and so made certain that pre-battle meals were high in animal-sourced foods! [The amino acid tyrosine, which is abundantly supplied in protien-rich diets, produces in the brain the chemical, dopamine; a behavioral marker of dopamine is enhanced activity and aggression.]
Both Hitler's and the Allies' seasoned and experienced soldiers knew ahead, when they were going to be called to battle--in the next few days if their rations of cheese, eggs milk and flesh were raised! (see book/film: All is Quiet on the Western Front)
What does it say about D&C 49?

shadow
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by shadow »

sally wrote:Very cute statement. A few years ago, when I learned that milk products and meat were not good for you and probably the cause of most of our modern diseases, I just cut out those two things and became a vegetarian for a month. I noticed the change in my temperment then also.
I understand milk and meat to be bad for you too. But it's only because of the additives like hormones. But most food you buy at the store is processed too with additives. Get it without that stuff and it's OK.
We quit drinking milk at my house years ago. We replaced it with soy milk. Yikes! Talk about a temperament change!! So now we use rice milk.

shadow
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by shadow »

14freedom wrote:
sally wrote:The gate has this to say about 1 tim 4:3: "The word used here for meats is broma, which means food. 'To use this passage to discredit Christian vegetarianism is really a misapplication of these verses, since the issue here is not food but Christian freedom, and that Paul was warning against forced asceticism, not vegetarianism based upon compasson for animals.'"

What does it say about D&C 49?
And 1 Nephi 17:2 & 18:6?