Free books by Hugh Nibley

Discuss liberty related books, videos, audio, as well as downloadable resources.
iWriteStuff
blithering blabbermouth

Re: Free books by Hugh Nibley

Post by iWriteStuff »

Alighieri wrote:This is a thread that needs bumping every now and again.
What he said ^^^

David13
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by David13 »

I could spend the rest of my life reading just here.
I have found Sgt Nibley Phd at the local library, along with a few other of his books,, believe it or not. I will start with Sgt Nibley as that interests me the most to start.
Then move on to one of the others.
Who can recommend the next one, the introductory one for me
dc

Well looking again, the local library does not have any Nibley books, not even Sgt Nibley, as you might suspect. They were purged long ago, burned, banned, all in the interest of "tolerance"
I was looking at Amazon. They want money.
Last edited by David13 on February 17th, 2016, 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

iWriteStuff
blithering blabbermouth

Post by iWriteStuff »

David13 wrote:I could spend the rest of my life reading just here.
I have found Sgt Nibley Phd at the local library, along with a few other of his books,, believe it or not. I will start with Sgt Nibley as that interests me the most to start.
dc
Depends what you want to learn/achieve. If you want scriptural knowledge, you could try:

Old Testament and Related Studies
Enoch the Prophet
Lehi in the Desert
The Prophetic Book of Mormon
Since Cumorah

If you want to learn about temple stuff, the answer is obviously:

Temple and Cosmos

If you want to have a life changing understanding of Zion and the law of consecration (my personal favorite), you go with:

Approaching Zion

I just finished Brother Brigham Challenges the Saints and The Prophetic Book of Mormon. Starting Old Testament and Related Studies now, thereafter to be followed by Since Cumorah. I can't seem to get enough of his writings. @-)

Jason
Master of Puppets

Post by Jason »

David13 wrote:I could spend the rest of my life reading just here.
dc

Well looking again, the local library does not have any Nibley books, not even Sgt Nibley, as you might suspect. They were purged long ago, burned, banned, all in the interest of "tolerance"
I was looking at Amazon. They want money.
That one was a good one...some good insights into the corporate WWII machine that Nibley experienced up close and personal.

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Post by marc »

BUMP!

I figured there might be folks wanting to read Approaching Zion and maybe other Nibley books freely. :)

Michelle
captain of 1,000

Post by Michelle »

marc wrote: January 10th, 2018, 2:55 pm BUMP!

I figured there might be folks wanting to read Approaching Zion and maybe other Nibley books freely. :)
Thank you for this!

lemuel
Operating Thetan

Post by lemuel »

This site has posted a bunch of Nibley audio talks & books:

https://www.deilataylor.com/free-hugh-n ... mp3-audio/

hedgehog
captain of 100

Post by hedgehog »

Thank you!

Nibley has lots of original content.

Even after all this time I am unaware of any if his labor proving to be poisoned fruit.

Davka
captain of 1,000

Post by Davka »

And...another thank you. I've been wondering where to go bevy with my studies (other than more scripture stufy, of course).

mike_rumble
captain of 100

Post by mike_rumble »

I wish they were available in PDF format for reading offline and on other devices.

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Post by marc »

It would take a little effort, but you could do it yourself. I've made PDFs for my blog just by saving my work in PDF.

mike_rumble
captain of 100

Post by mike_rumble »

It's very easy to make a PDF out of pretty much any document, picture or webpage, but you won't have a true PDF where it is the exact content and format of the original book.

chickenkorma
Hi, I'm new.

Post by chickenkorma »

Thanks OP. I will read one and let you know what I think. Once I have finished my current book!

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Post by marc »

Is it just me or can nobody else access the books anymore? I'm not done reading his works and I've been reading and listening to them and sharing them with family, friends and ward members. This makes me very sad if BYU deliberately pulled them down.

:( :( :(

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Post by marc »

Well, my friends, I found his books elsewhere along with many others, but are only available for purchase now. You have to click all the way to page 11 to find Approaching Zion. $49 dollars and the book is yours. You can buy anything in this world with money!

https://mi.byu.edu/publications-archive/

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Post by marc »

I guess if people really are interested in Approaching Zion, someone might as well make money doing it. Ok, I'm done ranting and lamenting. SMH.

Robbinius
captain of 100

Post by Robbinius »

Dr. Nibley must be so proud. On a related note, that site now has some of the worst user experience I've ever seen. Horrible navigation to even find that they are now selling the works he insisted be free....

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Post by marc »

At one time, I had downloaded the scriptures from the church's website. I still have the old set on audio, which is now my default set of scriptures to listen to. I had to uninstall the gospel library from my phone because it was a mess and now they've changed up the format and navigation of the scriptures on the church's website. What a mess. I love the scriptures, but I no longer visit the church's website anymore to look up any passages. Anyway, I digress. I will miss using the church's online resources and I won't bother visiting BYU's site anymore either.

:(

ajax
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by ajax »

Robbinius wrote: June 27th, 2019, 4:52 pm Dr. Nibley must be so proud. On a related note, that site now has some of the worst user experience I've ever seen. Horrible navigation to even find that they are now selling the works he insisted be free....
You know, Nibley’s books were sold in bookstores while he was alive. They were some of the more expensive books at Deseret Book at the time. I should know, I bought a few. So maybe it’s his fault :)

iWriteStuff
blithering blabbermouth

Post by iWriteStuff »

marc wrote: June 27th, 2019, 4:46 pm Well, my friends, I found his books elsewhere along with many others, but are only available for purchase now. You have to click all the way to page 11 to find Approaching Zion. $49 dollars and the book is yours. You can buy anything in this world with money!

https://mi.byu.edu/publications-archive/
I have PDF versions I saved of all those formerly free online Nibley publications. PM me for copies if anyone is interested.

Freely have I received, freely giving back now.

iWriteStuff
blithering blabbermouth

Post by iWriteStuff »

Y'all are free to try this link, which is where I dumped about 14 of Hugh's books and a few random essays. If you're good at navigating, you might find other things too.

https://mega.nz/#F!UPoHAYbI!BWt4ETrs-va9L0AJdBptag

I should mention that these books are literally copy/paste jobs I did back when BYU's Maxwell Institute had them posted, albeit chopped into chapters in HTML. I copied every chapter, pasted into a Word document, then "printed" as a PDF version. It's not elegant, but it's functional. And it's free.

iWriteStuff
blithering blabbermouth

Post by iWriteStuff »

Bump ^^^^ for the few but bold Nibley readers on here

kroboz
Hi, I'm new.

Post by kroboz »

iWriteStuff, thanks for sharing your Mega. I was disheartened that BYU took down Nibley's work from their site, of all things. Nothing respects his brand of firery anti-lucre scholarship than selling a dead scholar's scholarship. 🙄