Visions of Glory - As told to John Pontius

Discuss liberty related books, videos, audio, as well as downloadable resources.
A Random Phrase
Follower of Christ
Location: Staring at my computer, not sure whether to laugh or cry.

Re: Visions of Glory - As told to John Pontius

Post by A Random Phrase »

Sheol27 wrote:
A Random Phrase wrote:
ljmom wrote:Thank you so much. Also thanks for the how to do part. I'm not very knowledgeable on the computer. So that was extra kind.
You're welcome, ljmom. I try to remember those who don't know how to do things on the computer. I've had so many people help me (like with embedding YouTube videos, which I can do if I refer back to the instructions to refresh my memory). I know what it feels like to go, "What?" or to try it and it doesn't work like I wanted to (like unable to download, in this case).
I hate to be a troll but how do you embed youtube videos?
From this thread: HOW To embed a YOUTUBE video on a forum post
Mummy wrote:
7cylon7 wrote:HOLY COW BATMAN why did't someone just say to do it this way.... whooosh

I will tell you how to do this step by step. first on youtube use the SHARE button to get the video code.

This is what it will look like = http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RlxQXXlW6fo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

so this form is wrong as it is you must delete the watch and the = and include a forward slash inbetween /:)

like this http://www.youtube.com/v/RlxQXXlW6fo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

now the link is ready to go into the flash command.

[flash=]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RlxQXXlW6fo[/flash]

now all you need to do is put the size of the flash video in the after the = sign and like 425, 344

[EXAMPLEflash=460,340]http://www.youtube.com/v/RlxQXXlW6fo[/flash]

then you have it.
OR.....click embed in which you get the following code -

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/RlxQXXlW6fo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

select the text in the quotes (in bold)

http://www.youtube.com/embed/RlxQXXlW6fo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

and change "embed" to "v"....

http://www.youtube.com/v/RlxQXXlW6fo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

then put in flash brackets with appropriate viewing size....
I hope this helps. The second explanation was easier for me to follow than the first. I had to actually do it a few times before I fully understood the instructions.

Returning you now back to your regularly scheduled thread.

johnbatibas
captain of 10

Post by johnbatibas »

Brian Greene would be thrilled with the some of the contents of this book! I am currently reading it through and am thus far enjoying it. I must say though that it would be nice to be able to catch a glimpse of some of these things myself! Only a select few. In an age of what seems an increasing reliance on science to unfold truth, this kind of insight would do wonders - at least for the half curious - and obviously serve to bolster the confidence of the faithful!

A Random Phrase
Follower of Christ

johnbatibas wrote:I must say though that it would be nice to be able to catch a glimpse of some of these things myself!
I think that's the best way to know what is true - to have one's own experience with the Divine.

CWilson
captain of 50

Post by CWilson »

Good point! It is unfortunate that the false traditions of our fathers have crept through and now leak out upon the church with such ease. Example our elders quorum was recently told they were not allowed to teach the "Lectures on Faith" as the 7 lessons from the presidency for the year. It is quite depressing.

Carlos
captain of 100

Post by Carlos »

OK, I took the bait and read the book. I felt his first "death" was real and "clinical". I felt it provided uplifting material which I appreciated. The other 2 "deaths" were probably dreams and possibly visions. His ideas conform to the common litteral interpretation of end time events. Many people have dreamed similar things as they contemplate the face value of "prophecy".
If these visions were inspired, I consider them to be like patriarchal blessings... for personal consumption designed to motivate, strengthen, and uplift the individual.

steveandholly
Hi, I'm new.

Post by steveandholly »

@ aigerim:

I'm totally new to all of this blogging stuff. In fact, I just signed up to post this. The audio file that you posted is great. I was wondering if you had any other info on the talk? If I'm not mistaken, it sounds like it is "Spencer" talking along with the books author. It also sounds as if he is more or less doing a fireside to a group of people. If that is the case, do we know who "Spencer" is? Surely someone has been able to figure it out. There is so much information talking about his life, where he lived, moved to, work, sickness, medical stuff, etc. I would think we would know. However, I thought he made a point in the book of saying he decided to remain anonymous because of not wanting to do firesides. Do you know? I am just finishing up the book. My wife recommended it to me. So far, I really like it. Its hard to wrap my head around a lot of things. I think I need some time to digest everything I have read. Some of it can be overwhelming. Thanks.

steveandholly
Hi, I'm new.

Post by steveandholly »

aigerim wrote:Spencer's audio:

http://unblogmysoul.files.wordpress.com ... pencer.mp3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I hope it works.
Maybe I'm suppose to do it like this. Thanks for the link. Hopefully the comment I made previously will post. Thanks again.

KeithH
Hi, I'm new.

Post by KeithH »

I feel the message I need to take away from Visions of Glory is that I need to learn to rely more on Christ, that my faith needs to increase, so that I can become very very close to Him, to be able to hear His words clearly, naturally, constantly, and to have unshakeable faith in His protection of me, no matter what may happen physically to me. Spencer was taught to trust the things he saw and was told would happen, despite all earthly evidence to the contrary.

I need to focus more on the service He would have me give to His children each day.

I can do that by spending time first thing every day prayerfully studying the scriptures, pondering them, "likening them unto myself" as Nephi teaches us, and recording Father and the Savior's words to me, as taught to us by Elder Richard G. Scott and others. I can ask "What wouldst thou have me do today?" and ponder specific things I should do, specific people I can bless that day, and record those in my journal in writing. In essence, I can counsel with Father and the Savior over my To Do list for the day, seeking to know Their will for me, and to align my will with Theirs.

Then, at the end of the day, I can return and report, as Spencer suggests to us. I can let Them know how the day went, how my service went, compared to the plan we created that morning. I need to learn to ask during my morning planning session with Them, and throughout the day, what I need from Them to bring about the plan I received from Them that morning, and then to learn from Them at the end of the day that which I could have done better, or what I needed to ask for from Them to serve more completely.

May the Lord grant my humble desire that my conscious contact with Him may increase, that my love for Him, my trust in Him, and my service to Him and my fellows might increase, that I might become one with Him, willing to submit to all things that he "seeth fit to inflict upon [me]", by way of directing what service I should give, instructing me in his ways, and transforming me into the celestial version of me that He intends me to become.

aigerim
captain of 100

Post by aigerim »

Steve and Holly: I don't know who Spencer is. He often answers questions and writes short essays on John Pontius's Unblog website. You might find it interesting to reading through all the comment sections to see Spencer's responses to readers questions. :)

steveandholly
Hi, I'm new.

Post by steveandholly »

aigerim wrote:Steve and Holly: I don't know who Spencer is. He often answers questions and writes short essays on John Pontius's Unblog website. You might find it interesting to reading through all the comment sections to see Spencer's responses to readers questions. :)
Thanks, I have been looking at that website quite often lately. It is interesting. I hope to have some questions answered but mainly, I just enjoy contemplating all the things I have read. Like I said before, it makes my mind go 100 mph. :) Thanks.

sbsion
captain of 1,000

Post by sbsion »

Utah county has a 3. earthquake, is this a precursor of the "big one" coming to SLC as mentioned in the book?

TZONE
captain of 1,000

Post by TZONE »

sbsion wrote:Utah county has a 3. earthquake, is this a precursor of the "big one" coming to SLC as mentioned in the book?
There has been so many earthquakes here over the past 100 years its impossible to say. Only thing we know is it has increased in intensity.

BMC
captain of 100

Post by BMC »

Did anyone download this file? The link is now dead, and would love to listen to it. Please PM me and I will provide an e-mail for you to send it to. Many thanks!

A Random Phrase
Follower of Christ

BMC wrote:Did anyone download this file? The link is now dead, and would love to listen to it. Please PM me and I will provide an e-mail for you to send it to. Many thanks!
I went to the wayback machine to see if I could find it for you that way, but the link (to "Spencer" speaking) does not go anywhere. The file is 42 megabytes. If someone has an email that can convey that much (and they have the recording), perhaps they can send it to you (my email only conveys 25 mb, max).

TrojanHorse
captain of 10

Re: Visions of Glory - By John Pontius as told by:Spencer

Post by TrojanHorse »

HeirofNumenor wrote:The blog pages linked on this post will give you the needed info....

I love the MP3 of the NDE interview with Spencer (?)
http://unblogmysoul.files.wordpress.com ... pencer.mp3

http://unblogmysoul.wordpress.com/2012/ ... order-now/
I would really like to hear what Spencer had to say at the Unblog Reunion. But the audio file has been taken offline. Did anyone save a copy that they could send to me? Since it's large, we could use a file transfer service like DropBox. I would really appreciate it.

TH

Sheol27
captain of 100

Post by Sheol27 »

People were probably figuring out who he was..... So they removed it.

livy111us
captain of 100

Post by livy111us »

Who cares if people find out who he is? I haven't followed this subject much, but why the secrecy?

singyourwayhome
captain of 1,000

Post by singyourwayhome »

Because he wanted to remain anonymous and apart from the fame game.

Egoof
captain of 100

Post by Egoof »

I just finished reading Visions of Glory a few days ago and I must say that I thought it was amazing. I don't know if everything will play out exactly as he saw in vision but it helped me to have a greater hope and understanding of the refining that must go on for each of us if we hope to live in a Zion society someday (much less the celestial kingdom). I really enjoyed reading about their journey to Zion and how they had to come to rely more and more on the lord and not on themselves, or their possessions. Everything I read fit in perfectly with what I have imagined that time period to be like and broadened my view about what living in New Jerusalem would really be like.

Even with the tribulations that he saw occur which were harsher than I had imagined or hoped for (I like the Chad Daybell version better where the saints are pretty much protected from all the really hard stuff, and yes I KNOW his is entirely fiction :) ) I find myself desiring to a greater extent for that time period when we have that kind of unity and peace he saw in Zion.

whitinglarryl
Hi, I'm new.

Post by whitinglarryl »

Although my thoughts may not be popular among some visitors on this site, I wish to express an opinion as I have read materials published by John Pontius, more in particular the book entitled “Visions of Glory”.
The book in my view is an unwise and misguided treatise to say nothing of the folly of publishing the several doctrinal missteps coupled with references to flamboyant personal spiritual experiences, visitations and visions. I subscribe to the counsel that if anyone does have such intimate personal spiritual manifestations, the recipient might be found wise enough to keep them private and personal. Indeed, in my view such events would be too sacred to publically rehearse. I am reminded of Elder Boyd K. Packer’s statement that, “…it is not wise to continually talk of unusual spiritual experiences… they are very personal and very private” (October Conference 1972). My own experiences have taught me that, “The sanctity of a true testimony should inspire wisdom as to its use.” In a small gathering I was privileged to attend a number of years ago with a senior General Authority, he rehearsed certain content of weekly personal meetings he had held with the First Presidency over many years. At the conclusion of our discussion, he said, “In all of those years, not once did I ever hear them say anything to tickle my ears.”
I have observed that if it were essential—even desirable for Church members to be aware of such things as herein referred to, the senior Church leaders would teach/publish them vertically through the priesthood power line. Revelation in/for the Church comes in a vertical not a horizontal pattern and is open and occasionally canonized into scripture by a vote of the membership.
A book written in the late eighties by Betty Eatie entitled “Embraced by the Light” was based on premises/unfounded doctrine which she promoted about her alledged “out of body” experiences. Many members were led to believe her stories and she filled public buildings with people “taken in” by her pontifications. My observation in Church matters with a few members who were eventually disciplined, began with their emersion in written documents/philosophies strikingly similar to those of Pontius and Eatie. As pride advanced itself, these folks insinuated that they were privileged to have just a little deeper and better perspective of the doctrine than other Church members including their general and local leaders. Because some of what is written in this book is doctrinally spurious, it persuades me to suggest that the entire treatise (as found in these writings) is based on false premises.
Nothing good, in my opinion, will come of these materials. My suggestion is to leave them alone. What purpose can there be in it? Is it essential for our personal salvation?

A simple follower
Last edited by whitinglarryl on December 4th, 2013, 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thomas
captain of 1,000

Post by Thomas »

God is no respecter of persons. If he was, you could not know to what extent you are authorized to exercise faith in and receive revelation from him. You are just as entitiled to receive revelation, from God, as the prophet or any other person on earth. In fact, Joseph Smith taught this doctine and taught that no man can be saved without personal revelation.

I don't believe all of what is written in Visions of Glory. It certainly was not written for the church or presented as doctrine for the church. Those who will only look to prophets and leaders to hear the word of God will be darkened in their minds and neglect the duty that lays upon their own shoulders and as a result will not attain exhaltation.
Section Five 1842-43, p.237 TPJS

President Joseph Smith read the 14th chapter of Ezekiel--said the Lord had declared by the Prophet, that the people should each one stand for himself, and depend on no man or men in that state of corruption of the Jewish church--that righteous persons could only deliver their own souls--applied it to the present state of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints--said if the people departed from the Lord, they must fall--that they were depending on the Prophet, hence were darkened in their minds, in consequence of neglecting the duties devolving upon themselves, envious towards the innocent, while they afflict the virtuous with their shafts of envy.

swiftbrook
captain of 100

Post by swiftbrook »

Thomas wrote:God is no respecter of persons. If he was, you could not know to what extent you are authorized to exercise faith in and receive revelation from him. You are just as entitiled to receive revelation, from God, as the prophet or any other person on earth. In fact, Joseph Smith taught this doctine and taught that no man can be saved without personal revelation.

I don't believe all of what is written in Visions of Glory. It certainly was not written for the church or presented as doctrine for the church. Those who will only look to prophets and leaders to hear the word of God will be darkened in their minds and neglect the duty that lays upon their own shoulders and as a result will not attain exhaltation.
Section Five 1842-43, p.237 TPJS

President Joseph Smith read the 14th chapter of Ezekiel--said the Lord had declared by the Prophet, that the people should each one stand for himself, and depend on no man or men in that state of corruption of the Jewish church--that righteous persons could only deliver their own souls--applied it to the present state of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints--said if the people departed from the Lord, they must fall--that they were depending on the Prophet, hence were darkened in their minds, in consequence of neglecting the duties devolving upon themselves, envious towards the innocent, while they afflict the virtuous with their shafts of envy.
True dat. Thanks, Thomas.

jockeybox
captain of 100

Post by jockeybox »

whitinglarryl wrote:I was privileged to attend a number of years ago with a senior General Authority, he rehearsed certain content of weekly personal meetings he had held with the First Presidency over many years. At the conclusion of our discussion, he said, “In all of those years, not once did I ever hear them say anything to tickle my ears.”
That's too bad that the First Presidency was so busy and preoccupied with meetings over many years, that nothing "tickled" this General Authorities ears. It's sad indeed. I welcome stories that promote faith in my Savior. Seeing someone blaze a trail to the Savior before me, isn't threatening, it gives me hope!

FoxMammaWisdom
The Heretic

Post by FoxMammaWisdom »

jockeybox wrote:
whitinglarryl wrote:I was privileged to attend a number of years ago with a senior General Authority, he rehearsed certain content of weekly personal meetings he had held with the First Presidency over many years. At the conclusion of our discussion, he said, “In all of those years, not once did I ever hear them say anything to tickle my ears.”
That's too bad that the First Presidency was so busy and preoccupied with meetings over many years, that nothing "tickled" this General Authorities ears. It's sad indeed. I welcome stories that promote faith in my Savior. Seeing someone blaze a trail to the Savior before me, isn't threatening, it gives me hope!
http://thesecondcomforter.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A friend of mine and member of the forum :)

A Random Phrase
Follower of Christ

I appreciate where you are coming from but John does not fit the mo you painted. He was always a humble follower of the brethren.
whitinglarryl wrote:Although my thoughts may not be popular among some visitors on this site, I wish to express an opinion as I have read materials published by John Pontius, more in particular the book entitled “Visions of Glory”.
The book in my view is an unwise and misguided treatise to say nothing of the folly of publishing the several doctrinal missteps coupled with references to flamboyant personal spiritual experiences, visitations and visions. I subscribe to the counsel that if anyone does have such intimate personal spiritual manifestations, the recipient might be found wise enough to keep them private and personal. Indeed, in my view such events would be too sacred to publically rehearse. I am reminded of Elder Boyd K. Packer’s statement that, “…it is not wise to continually talk of unusual spiritual experiences… they are very personal and very private” (October Conference 1972). My own experiences have taught me that, “The sanctity of a true testimony should inspire wisdom as to its use.” In a small gathering I was privileged to attend a number of years ago with a senior General Authority, he rehearsed certain content of weekly personal meetings he had held with the First Presidency over many years. At the conclusion of our discussion, he said, “In all of those years, not once did I ever hear them say anything to tickle my ears.”
I have observed that if it were essential—even desirable for Church members to be aware of such things as herein referred to, the senior Church leaders would teach/publish them vertically through the priesthood power line. Revelation in/for the Church comes in a vertical not a horizontal pattern and is open and occasionally canonized into scripture by a vote of the membership.
A book written in the late eighties by Betty Eatie entitled “Embraced by the Light” was based on premises/unfounded doctrine which she promoted about her alledged “out of body” experiences. Many members were led to believe her stories and she filled public buildings with people “taken in” by her pontifications. My observation in Church matters with a few members who were eventually disciplined, began with their emersion in written documents/philosophies strikingly similar to those of Pontius and Eatie. As pride advanced itself, these folks insinuated that they were privileged to have just a little deeper and better perspective of the doctrine than other Church members including their general and local leaders. Because some of what is written in this book is doctrinally spurious, it persuades me to suggest that the entire treatise (as found in these writings) is based on false premises.
Nothing good, in my opinion, will come of these materials. My suggestion is to leave them alone. What purpose can there be in it? Is it essential for our personal salvation?

A simple follower