Visions of Glory - As told to John Pontius

Discuss liberty related books, videos, audio, as well as downloadable resources.
medved
captain of 50

Re: Visions of Glory - As told to John Pontius

Post by medved »

rgates wrote:
I actually spent some time on this one. If you research what is touted as the John Taylor vision of America, you ultimately find out that the particular John Taylor vision was not a vision by John Taylor and is totally bogus, has been denounced by the church leaders back in the early 1900s as being bogus. Some Latter Day Saint book authors, who did not carefully check out the back ground and history of the supposed vision promptly included that in their books about the end or the second coming. Doesn't mean they were bad people, but that they trusted but did not verify.
Hi, I appreciate your comments above. For sometime I have tried to find sources that, as you put it, "denounce" this vision. While I have found several articles and statements that cast suspiscion upon the purported John Taylor Vision, I have never found anything from the church that does in fact denounce or repudiate this supposed vision. Can you share some citations or references with me that accomplish this? Thanks!

sbsion
captain of 1,000

Post by sbsion »

IF Vision of glory is "true", and he had Pontius put "Taylors" vision in, then I would strongly question rgates findings

Cowboy
captain of 100

Post by Cowboy »

I did mine on Kindle, very easy. My friend went into Seagull Book and was told that they could order it but they don't carry it on the shelf because it is " Controversial " ....wow, really?

sbsion
captain of 1,000

Post by sbsion »

tell'm to repent..........btw, do they carry McConkies "Mormon doctrine"...toooooooooooooooooooo controversial,

Sheol27
captain of 100

Post by Sheol27 »

You guys better be right about Visions of Glory because I am ordering it. :p

sbsion
captain of 1,000

Post by sbsion »

I'll give you $10 for it if you don't want to keep it

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Post by marc »

Visions of Glory has other accounts besides John Taylor's as well. Worth reading!

Sheol27
captain of 100

Post by Sheol27 »

sbsion wrote:I'll give you $10 for it if you don't want to keep it
Actually I just downloaded it for 8 bucks. I like it so far.
Its definitely got me thinking about things. Like when Nephi said it persuades men to come unto Christ, so far. I'm am where he sees those people locked into the mountain.
Last edited by Sheol27 on March 11th, 2013, 7:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rose Garden
Don't ask . . .

Post by Rose Garden »

I liked that part a lot.

Sheol27
captain of 100

Post by Sheol27 »

So I couldn't put it down yesterday. I'm most the way through the book. I'm at the stat of the Millennium chapter. I have one word to describe this book. "Wow." Everything inspiration I've personally had fits perfectly into this book along with my understanding of the scriptures.

Libertas
captain of 100

Post by Libertas »

Sheol27 wrote:So I couldn't put it down yesterday. I'm most the way through the book. I'm at the stat of the Millennium chapter. I have one word to describe this book. "Wow." Everything inspiration I've personally had fits perfectly into this book along with my understanding of the scriptures.
I felt the same way when reading it. It changed my view of what I need to do to be prepared to live in a Zion society.

sbsion
captain of 1,000

Post by sbsion »

ii's too bad, we didn't do this for JS, but, the Lord knows when and who will REALLY prepare

juniper
captain of 50

Post by juniper »

Is this the "big truck" that Spencer saw?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDeJJUqx-tA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sheol27
captain of 100

Post by Sheol27 »

juniper wrote:Is this the "big truck" that Spencer saw?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDeJJUqx-tA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Very possible. Thanks for sharing.

firefly
captain of 100

Post by firefly »

How about this for a big truck?

thinwinters
Hi, I'm new.

Post by thinwinters »

I would caution members of the LDS Church to be very careful in what you accept as "truth" from this book. In the writings by John Pontius about "Spencers" experiences you will find a number of instances of false doctrine or ideas or staements that are not supported by the scriptures or teachings of the Prophets or Apostles. Do not be deceived.

gbs
Hi, I'm new.

Post by gbs »

Visions of Glory is still unavailable on Amazon. I found it through Barnes and Noble. I ordered it at one of their stores here in Houston and at the time they said they had 500 in their warehouse. You can get it online today. Go to this link:

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/visions ... 1462111183" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I've told a lot of people about it and so they probably have about 450 left.

The book is the best nde that I have encountered and additionally is timely for the day in which we live. No one should be concerned about the book seeking to supplant the Lord's guidance to the church through the living prophet. It's just one man's visions. The are no commandments given to anyone nor does "Spencer" seek to lift himself up as an oracle or any such thing. In fact his insistence on remaining anonymous gives him much more credibility in my eyes. As a temple ordinance worker of 7 years I appreciate the fact that he is one as well. This is exactly the type of person I have been looking for to have had an nde. I have wondered what we would be shown that would be different from non or inactive members. I was not disappointed.

I have always been impressed that in all the other nde's I've read, the Lord has honored the sanctity of the veil. In other words he never tells anyone to go back to your body and read the Book of Mormon. We are all left on equal ground in that we have to find truth in the same way. That is through our own seeking and through obedience to personal promptings and through the personal guidance of the Holy Ghost.

After the last presidential election me and many of my associates are now of the opinion that we are very very deep into the latter days and that the USA is simply not going to emerge from the sickening condition it is descending further into each day. There is virtually no hope for a solution to the nations problems through political channels. We send men to Washington with a hope that they keep their campaign promises and find they do not or cannot. Texas sent Ted Cruz to the Senate and he is doing a fabulous job and has soundly embarrassed Chuck Hagel in his confirmation hearings and Hagel gets confirmed into office. The same thing goes on with Rand Paul another fabulous senator.

I am 63 yo and I work in a YSA ward. You young people reading this must believe the GA's when they tell you that you have been reserved to come forth in the latter days. It is true. I can see it in the quality of individuals in our ward many of whom are returned missionaries. Their capacities are exceptional. They all have their challenges of course but have the gifts and tools to overcome them.

So those are some of the reasons I love this book. All that stuff is coming and is at the doors. Prepare to be a Zion people. What a glorious future lies ahead. Believe it because you can do it.

investigator
captain of 100

Post by investigator »

Cowboy wrote:I did mine on Kindle, very easy. My friend went into Seagull Book and was told that they could order it but they don't carry it on the shelf because it is " Controversial " ....wow, really?
Our Seagull Book in Utah has about a dozen copies.

Marion
captain of 10

Post by Marion »

This book has impacted me so much that I am sharing it with my family, brother has it now. So far, a third of the way through he says it is "Interesting." That is high praise for him. An incredible book with much to consider. Gives me hope that I may do this. I do not know how, but am hopeful.

TZONE
captain of 1,000

Post by TZONE »

Thank you gbs.
thinwinters wrote: Do not be deceived.
We will do our best :D . The book is metaphorical. I will see how it really plays out by being prepared.

ljmom
captain of 10

Post by ljmom »

Hi,
Does anyone know why Spencer's talk that was recorded on the Unblogmysoul reunion talks is gone? Or I can't see it. I have some friends that wanted to listen to it after reading the book.

I loved the book. I have read it twice.

North_Star
captain of 100

Post by North_Star »

ljmom wrote:Hi,
Does anyone know why Spencer's talk that was recorded on the Unblogmysoul reunion talks is gone? Or I can't see it. I have some friends that wanted to listen to it after reading the book.

Good question. I've asked on the blog.....not sure it will be noticed. Perhaps others could ask?

http://unblogmysoul.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A Random Phrase
Follower of Christ
Location: Staring at my computer, not sure whether to laugh or cry.

Post by A Random Phrase »

ljmom wrote:Hi,

On the unblog, someone asked that question. The response was that they were asked to remove it. No reason was extended, neither was the name of the person who requested it to be removed.

I have it on my computer, but am not sure how to share it if it is too large for email.

CWilson
captain of 50

Post by CWilson »

thinwinters wrote:I would caution members of the LDS Church to be very careful in what you accept as "truth" from this book. In the writings by John Pontius about "Spencers" experiences you will find a number of instances of false doctrine or ideas or staements that are not supported by the scriptures or teachings of the Prophets or Apostles. Do not be deceived.

I am curious what false doctrine/ideas/statements did you find? I keep hearing this. I personally have read this book along with quite a few other friends and family members, and none of us have come across false doctrine/information. We also understand that this was a vision for one of Heavenly Fathers children so there might be certain analogies that pertain to him, but I don't believe that makes the any less in value or truth.

aigerim
captain of 100

Post by aigerim »

Spencer's audio:

http://unblogmysoul.files.wordpress.com ... pencer.mp3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I hope it works.