Visions of Glory - As told to John Pontius

Discuss liberty related books, videos, audio, as well as downloadable resources.
sbsion
captain of 1,000

Re: Visions of Glory - As told to John Pontius

Post by sbsion »

when did Pontius die?

North_Star
captain of 100

Post by North_Star »

sbsion wrote:when did Pontius die?
Brother Pontius passed away
10 Dec. 2012

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/desere ... bLoggedOut" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Wildfire
captain of 10
Location: Moving after World General Conference, going back to Eastern Oregon where I grew up.

Re: Visions of Glory - By John Pontius as told by:Spencer

Post by Wildfire »

coachmarc wrote:I just listened to the mp3 interview. What an inspirational interview. I find his account of the coming scourge here along the Wasatch Front and across the US fascinating in light of John Taylor's vision of the same event. It's not gonna be pretty.
While living at Loring Air Force Base in 1979, there was a member of our Branch who shared her Patriachel blessing with two of us sisters. In in it states that she will live to see the UTTER DESTRUCTION of the Great Salt Lake Valley. She was from West Valley, was about 23 years at the time....I read that with my eyes!!

I also had to wait for the book to be reordered the 1st part of this month.....it was sent in less than a week!! Wonderfully written, and Spencer has a place in all the hearts who do read this book!! Remember he was given the visions about 30 years ago and was told to hold it within his breast....then when his friend the Apostle then told him that the time would shortly come for him to share with the WORLD. That time came.....then the man who so eloquently wrote the VISONS, was taken back to the Lord's Bosom. It answered many of my own thoughts of what is to come....so now I just keep preparing best I can under my own circumstances. Remember Heavenly Father knows all our trials, weaknesses and strengths. Just keep holding onto the IRON ROD. Matters not whether we live or die in the oncoming Portent of Stormy Weather!!! What is important is to stand for Christ in all circumstances the best we can. The book was meant to be another guide in my opinion to prepare those who are striving for perfection one day. I wish everyone could read it, so inspirational!!!

sbsion
captain of 1,000

Post by sbsion »

excellent wildfire, this too, people are "quick to forget", so, perhaps, a "quick splash", wake us up, THEN....RUReady??????????????????????????

soloheart
captain of 10

Post by soloheart »

I just finished reading it today. The book bids us to basically start your spiritual journey to ZION. But I need help on that.
I am guessing that the book called, "The Truimph of Zion: Our Personal Quest for the New Jerusalem" will shed some light on that.

Did somebody read "The Truimph of Zion: Our Personal Quest for the New Jerusalem"? If so do you think "The Truimph of Zion: Our Personal Quest for the New Jerusalem" book covers thoroughly the how of going to ZION spiritually?

I have read so far:
  • 5000 Thousand Year Leap by W. Cleon Skousen.
    Following the Light of Christ into His Presence
    The Second Comforter:: Conversing with the Lord Through the Veil
    Cleansing of America by W. Cleon Skousen.
    Visions of Glory: One Man's Astonishing Accunt of the Last Days
I have bought and planning to read:
  • The Truimph of Zion: Our Personal Quest for the New Jerusalem
    Ten Parables
    Beloved Enos
    Come, Let Us Adore Him
    Eighteen Verses
    Nephi's Isaikh
    The God Who Weeps: How Mormonism Makes Sense of Life
    The Life of Nephi by George Q. Cannon
    The Enoch Letters
I am a Mongolian saint. As I rely on the Spirit to guide me, it would be helpful what & how others went through to ZION spiritually. I am looking for some example or prototype as Elder McConckie says, Jesus Christ is our Great Prototype.
I am grateful to have these books and hope to apply them in my life.

AshleyB
captain of 1,000

Post by AshleyB »

I think following the light of Christ back into his presence accomplishes that. Repent, Pray, seek, fast, study, obey, sacrifice. Those things are all the things he covers that will get you there. :) I know those things can seem general but its doing those things everyday and following the Holy Ghost each and everyday that get us there until we are fully consecrated beings unto Christ. The triumph of Zion talks more ABOUT zion then how to get there. If the principles in following the Light of Christ are followed those are the things that will lead us there.

Rand
captain of 1,000

Post by Rand »

soloheart wrote:I just finished reading it today. The book bids us to basically start your spiritual journey to ZION. But I need help on that.
I am guessing that the book called, "The Truimph of Zion: Our Personal Quest for the New Jerusalem" will shed some light on that.

Did somebody read "The Truimph of Zion: Our Personal Quest for the New Jerusalem"? If so do you think "The Truimph of Zion: Our Personal Quest for the New Jerusalem" book covers thoroughly the how of going to ZION spiritually?

I have read so far:
    Ten Parables
    Beloved Enos
    Come, Let Us Adore Him
    Eighteen Verses
    Nephi's Isaikh
    The Enoch Letters
I am a Mongolian saint. As I rely on the Spirit to guide me, it would be helpful what & how others went through to ZION spiritually. I am looking for some example or prototype as Elder McConckie says, Jesus Christ is our Great Prototype.
That is a good reading list. My experience is that the more time I spend in books other than the scriptures, the more I get behind. The Temple, the Scriptures, fasting, prayer, seeking humbly the Lords will, sharing the Gospel with family and friends are the fastest way to find Zion in your own life and to be prepared to come to Zion when it is established soon.
I commend your journey and your determination to seek toward Zion. It is the right journey to make now.

soloheart
captain of 10

Post by soloheart »

Rand wrote: That is a good reading list. My experience is that the more time I spend in books other than the scriptures, the more I get behind. The Temple, the Scriptures, fasting, prayer, seeking humbly the Lords will, sharing the Gospel with family and friends are the fastest way to find Zion in your own life and to be prepared to come to Zion when it is established soon.
I commend your journey and your determination to seek toward Zion. It is the right journey to make now.

Yes lately I feel the same that I must read the scripture daily at the same time as reading these books. Believing it (exercising faith) as if it will bring more personalized guide/personalized incentive/motive to my journey than a time when I feel sometime dry on reading other non-canon books. I will act upon it, thank you. I also felt to start my personal journal of my journey to ZION for my wife and children, and their posterity, perhaps it will make it easy for them to travel as well.

FourthHorseman
captain of 50

Post by FourthHorseman »

I read through Visions of Glory last weekend and it's really put me in a new paradigm. Last night, my wife was speaking to our Bishop and he made a similar observation -- everyone that reads the book seems to want to change their lives for the better. I've never been so moved by a book before--it's incredible!

I originally was going to write an angry post on the Freedom Forum about the Affordable Care Act, but as I started typing, I thought to myself "why waste your time?" and, instead, was reminded of some of the lessons I learned last weekend. Thank you John and Spencer for sharing this gift with us!

sbsion
captain of 1,000

Post by sbsion »

+2, thanks 4 horse

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Post by marc »

soloheart wrote:I just finished reading it today. The book bids us to basically start your spiritual journey to ZION. But I need help on that.

I have read so far:
    Ten Parables
    Beloved Enos
    Come, Let Us Adore Him
    Eighteen Verses
    Nephi's Isaikh
    The Enoch Letters
An excellent reading list! I have read some of those and look forward to reading them all. I have begun reading Triumph of Zion and am almost finished with Visions of Glory. I live in Brigham City, so that's about 60 miles north of Salt Lake City. I have been striving in the last year to be one with Zion. It has been quite a journey and I have been blessed greatly. But I know there is so much more. I don't know if I will survive the devastation and the plague. I don't know if I will be called to remain and build Zion where I live, to gather to Zion where called or if I will die and be called to something else on the other side. It's frightening and exciting at the same time.

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Post by marc »

What will happen to Utah and much of North and South America happened in the Book of Mormon in Third Nephi but on a grander scale. And worse.

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Re: Visions of Glory - By John Pontius as told by:Spencer

Post by marc »

Wildfire wrote:
coachmarc wrote:I just listened to the mp3 interview. What an inspirational interview. I find his account of the coming scourge here along the Wasatch Front and across the US fascinating in light of John Taylor's vision of the same event. It's not gonna be pretty.
While living at Loring Air Force Base in 1979, there was a member of our Branch who shared her Patriachel blessing with two of us sisters. In in it states that she will live to see the UTTER DESTRUCTION of the Great Salt Lake Valley. She was from West Valley, was about 23 years at the time....I read that with my eyes!!
So she was 23 in 1979. I was born in 1969, making me 10 at the time she shared this with you. I am 43 today and she would be 56. I guess that means I'll be alive to experience it as well as I live about 60 miles north of SLC. I wonder what kind of devastation Brigham City will endure.

Cowboy
captain of 100

Post by Cowboy »

FourthHorseman wrote:I read through Visions of Glory last weekend and it's really put me in a new paradigm. Last night, my wife was speaking to our Bishop and he made a similar observation -- everyone that reads the book seems to want to change their lives for the better. I've never been so moved by a book before--it's incredible!

I originally was going to write an angry post on the Freedom Forum about the Affordable Care Act, but as I started typing, I thought to myself "why waste your time?" and, instead, was reminded of some of the lessons I learned last weekend. Thank you John and Spencer for sharing this gift with us!

This says what I was going to say, better than what I was going to say. ha ha Perfectly!
As Rand said, I worry about recommending this book to just anybody because I would feel like I was casting pearls before swine. Reading this book has been a most profound experience for my wife and I. Absolutely changed the direction of our lives. Last night the kids were all going on and on about the gun and ammo turmoil.... and all I could think about was..." who cares, none of that matters " Before the book, I was the worst one, it was all I could talk about.
Anyway, if you haven't read the book, DO IT NOW, ha ha ( but seriously, Hurry! )

Original_Intent
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Original_Intent »

I just started reading Visions of glory today - Love it so far! I got so many good books for Christmas, I have reading material for the year, easily, expecially since I am trying to read most if not all of the scriptures as well.

Some other books that I have started are the Pillars of Zion series by Larry Barkdull. I have only read the first book, which really is just a 50 or so page introduction to the rest of the books, but it looks quite good, and has much of the same feel as a Skousen, a Pontius, or, dare i say a Boyack book.

Speaking of Boyack, I just finished Latter-Day Responsibility a few days ago. Highly recommended!

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Post by marc »

OI, the book gets better and better. Once he began recounting his vision about the earthquakes, plagues, etc and the great conference at the Conference Center, I had a hard time putting the book down. I want to be there!! What I also appreciate about this book is that Pontius researched and included all the revelations, including John Taylor's about this series of events. And they all line up with what we read in scripture, but with vivid details rather than short, basic generalities.

singyourwayhome
captain of 1,000

Post by singyourwayhome »

coachmarc wrote:OI, the book gets better and better. Once he began recounting his vision about the earthquakes, plagues, etc and the great conference at the Conference Center, I had a hard time putting the book down. I want to be there!! What I also appreciate about this book is that Pontius researched and included all the revelations, including John Taylor's about this series of events. And they all line up with what we read in scripture, but with vivid details rather than short, basic generalities.

Yeah, but I made the fatal mistake of sharing the earthquake & destruction part with my husband. It probably would have been OK if I'd told him anything before or after that part... ;)

Rose Garden
Don't ask . . .

Post by Rose Garden »

I am guessing that the book called, "The Truimph of Zion: Our Personal Quest for the New Jerusalem" will shed some light on that. . . .

There are a lot of good books out there, but of course, the best are the scriptures. The problem we have sometimes in interpreting the scriptures is that we don't see the gospel as a step by step guide. We see it as a bunch of random principles. But when we realize that the Savior was giving us a step by step guide, then we can find the steps in the scriptures and work on them one at a time. Here are some scriptures that outline the steps:

Article of Faith #4
2 Peter 1:5-7
3 Nephi 12: 1-12
Moses 6:59-60

It is essential to understand each of the steps and what they entail. If you have been trying to follow the Spirit, you will probably see that the Spirit has already been leading you through the steps. As you ponder each step and understand through the Spirit just what each is, then you are empowered and able to integrate that into your life.

If you desire to become a Zion person, you must go through these steps. But even though you may read about them in the scriptures, it is essential that you rely on the Spirit and on revelation to guide you. You cannot understand spiritual things with your mortal mind. Although you may believe you understand, if you will pray and ponder, you will soon find that your understanding was nothing and that the Lord's understanding is much grander and greater than our mortal understanding.

It is a wonderful journey and fulfills every need and want we have in this life. As you take this journey, you will start to see parallels between your own life and the lives of the prophets and even the Savior's. All those who have come to earth and become a Zion person has taken this journey.

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Post by marc »

singyourwayhome wrote:
coachmarc wrote:OI, the book gets better and better. Once he began recounting his vision about the earthquakes, plagues, etc and the great conference at the Conference Center, I had a hard time putting the book down. I want to be there!! What I also appreciate about this book is that Pontius researched and included all the revelations, including John Taylor's about this series of events. And they all line up with what we read in scripture, but with vivid details rather than short, basic generalities.

Yeah, but I made the fatal mistake of sharing the earthquake & destruction part with my husband. It probably would have been OK if I'd told him anything before or after that part... ;)
Is he worrying now?

singyourwayhome
captain of 1,000

Post by singyourwayhome »

More along the lines of ignoring. He doesn't want to mentally deal with it right now. He's been way stressed out at work the last couple weeks; I probably shouldn't have shared that story with him the same week he visited the ER for possible heart attack signs...

sbsion
captain of 1,000

Post by sbsion »

friend of mine claimed the book was false because it had women holding the priesthood?

Rose Garden
Don't ask . . .

Post by Rose Garden »

Yes, women healed others and used the priesthood right alongside the men. If your friend thinks this is false, he perhaps could use a refresher course in church history. Women did the same in the early days of the church. It is a great disservice to men and women of the church today that we don't accept this now.

sbsion
captain of 1,000

Post by sbsion »

agreed..........btw, it was a "she"..............hmmmmmmmmmm

embryopocket
captain of 100

Post by embryopocket »

This book sounds like an excellent read. In my mother's side of the family, it is very common to have visions of the future and I grew up hearing the retelling of these visions then watching them come true as I grew up. I would love to read of these visions, but I don't know where I should buy the book. Where can I get it at the cheapest price? Or is it pretty much the same price everywhere? Thank you

sbsion
captain of 1,000

Post by sbsion »

embryopocket wrote:This book sounds like an excellent read. In my mother's side of the family, it is very common to have visions of the future and I grew up hearing the retelling of these visions then watching them come true as I grew up. I would love to read of these visions, but I don't know where I should buy the book. Where can I get it at the cheapest price? Or is it pretty much the same price everywhere? Thank you

just google: "visions................" it will come up. I get mine for $10, you can beat that, but, where I get them is convienant