Anybody read Decoding Isaiah?

Discuss liberty related books, videos, audio, as well as downloadable resources.
reese
captain of 1,000

Anybody read Decoding Isaiah?

Post by reese »

I have recently started reading Decoding Isaiah. Have any of you read it? What are your opinions on the book, or the author, Avraham Gileadi?

SAM
captain of 100

Re: Anybody read Decoding Isaiah?

Post by SAM »

Reading it slowly. I have to take time to ingest it when I do so it takes me a while. However, last night I was reading the chapter on ascending to Zion / Jerusalem and I thought it was so profound, especially the comparison of our ascension with celestial bodies in the sky. So far, I've found it very worthwhile. Have you finished it?

natasha
captain of 1,000

Post by natasha »

Reese: You could send a private message to MARK (forum member)...he is familiar with the book and the author.

John Locke
captain of 1,000

Post by John Locke »

This book keeps catching my eye. Have either of you finished it? I'd like to know what your thoughts on it are?

reese
captain of 1,000

Post by reese »

John Locke wrote:This book keeps catching my eye. Have either of you finished it? I'd like to know what your thoughts on it are?

I have. I really like it. Look up Gileadi's story online. His history in learning the hebrew language and joining the Jewish faith is intersting. I am reminded of Nephi telling us that to understand the prophesying of the Jews, we need to have the learning of the jews. Gileadi seems to have that. If his interpretation of Isaiah is correct (I believe that it is), then Isaiah pretty much tells us very clearly what is going to happen. No wonder we are admonished to "search the words of Isaiah" several times in the Book of Mormon. I would highly recommed Gileadi's book. I have actually started to read Isaiah on my own, and I actually understand it! That is a miracle to me. Of course prayer plays no small part in that understanding as well. :wink:

John Locke
captain of 1,000

Post by John Locke »

reese wrote:
John Locke wrote:This book keeps catching my eye. Have either of you finished it? I'd like to know what your thoughts on it are?

I have. I really like it. Look up Gileadi's story online. His history in learning the hebrew language and joining the Jewish faith is intersting. I am reminded of Nephi telling us that to understand the prophesying of the Jews, we need to have the learning of the jews. Gileadi seems to have that. If his interpretation of Isaiah is correct (I believe that it is), then Isaiah pretty much tells us very clearly what is going to happen. No wonder we are admonished to "search the words of Isaiah" several times in the Book of Mormon. I would highly recommed Gileadi's book. I have actually started to read Isaiah on my own, and I actually understand it! That is a miracle to me. Of course prayer plays no small part in that understanding as well. :wink:
do you have a link for Gileadi's story? Ah...and so many times I've read Isiah wishing I understood better...perhaps getting a bit more "understanding" under my belt I can give the spirit what it needs in my thick head to work with :D

ShawnC
Minion

Post by ShawnC »

I have read the book.

If you are new to Isaiah and Gileadi, start slow. There is a book called The Last Days that is easier. As well as a few other Gileadi books. Save Isaiah Decoded for later on.

John Locke
captain of 1,000

Post by John Locke »

I am new to this author but surely he cannot be any harder than say Hugh Nibley (of which I have read tons) Elder McConkie, and the likes of Orson Pratt? Why the recommendation to "start slow?" Is it due to hardness of the language or depth of the study?

2BFree
captain of 100

Post by 2BFree »

Here is Bro. Gileadi telling his story...

reese
captain of 1,000

Post by reese »

John Locke wrote:I am new to this author but surely he cannot be any harder than say Hugh Nibley (of which I have read tons) Elder McConkie, and the likes of Orson Pratt? Why the recommendation to "start slow?" Is it due to hardness of the language or depth of the study?

I would agree with the start slowly. Only I would probably say, make a long term commitment. The difference with reading (understanding) Isaiah and the others that you mentioned, is that understanding Isaiah requires a paradigm shift almost. It requires you to see and understand things from his view, for most of us that is a complete culture change. I have been reading 2 of Gileadi's books and the scriptures, and listening to online courses of Isaiah for about 5 months now. I started to reread one of the books that I read at the beginning, and I am amazed at how much I did not know or understand just a few short months ago.

Yes, Gileadi's book The Last Days is very good. Worth buying. It will give you a really good picture of how idolatrous we are as well as our true responsibilities concerning this gospel of Jesus Christ that we have.

larsenb
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by larsenb »

I read this a couple of years ago, though I think the correct title is Isaiah Decoded. Probably need to reread it. About all I remember is that we are in a process exemplified by "Jacob's Ladder' to heaven, and the only way we can ascend it so to help those beneath us climb up as well. Also, we progress by keeping our covenants, which of course is embodied by service to others. And as we stay with this process, we advance from a kind of vassal/suzerain relationship to God, to the status of actually becoming true sons of God.

This is one of the key elements he pulls out of his interpretation of what Isaiah is getting at. Of course there is much else, including how the examples and historical situations he address from his day, are often types, shadows and archetypes of what will happen in the Last Days. And he describes these in some detail.

reese
captain of 1,000

Post by reese »

larsenb wrote:I read this a couple of years ago, though I think the correct title is Isaiah Decoded. Probably need to reread it. About all I remember is that we are in a process exemplified by "Jacob's Ladder' to heaven, and the only way we can ascend it so to help those beneath us climb up as well. Also, we progress by keeping our covenants, which of course is embodied by service to others. And as we stay with this process, we advance from a kind of vassal/suzerain relationship to God, to the status of actually becoming true sons of God.

This is one of the key elements he pulls out of his interpretation of what Isaiah is getting at. Of course there is much else, including how the examples and historical situations he address from his day, are often types, shadows and archetypes of what will happen in the Last Days. And he describes these in some detail.
Yes larsenb, "Isaiah's ladder" seems to be the theme of Isaiah Decoded. It is really good. Do you own the book? If so go read pages 61-64. I would be interested in your opinion on that. According to Gileadi, Isaiah only uses examples in his book that most closely resemble what would be happening in the last days. If I am understanding Gileadi correctly, he says that everything in the book of Isaiah can be read as something that did or was happening up until Isaiah's day, and it should also be read as something that will happen again. He says that Isaiah chose everything he wrote to be an example of what he saw happening again in the last days. If this is true then Isaiah really does tell us in quite some detail about how things are going to be happening right up into the millenium.

larsenb
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by larsenb »

reese wrote: Yes larsenb, "Isaiah's ladder" seems to be the theme of Isaiah Decoded. It is really good. Do you own the book? If so go read pages 61-64. I would be interested in your opinion on that. According to Gileadi, Isaiah only uses examples in his book that most closely resemble what would be happening in the last days. If I am understanding Gileadi correctly, he says that everything in the book of Isaiah can be read as something that did or was happening up until Isaiah's day, and it should also be read as something that will happen again. He says that Isaiah chose everything he wrote to be an example of what he saw happening again in the last days. If this is true then Isaiah really does tell us in quite some detail about how things are going to be happening right up into the millenium.
Yes, I own the book. Looking at pages 61-64, Gileadi is suggesting Isaiah thinks the conflict between Assyria and Egypt in his day will be mirrored in the Last Days. However, he avers that in a Last Days context, Egypt could be likened to America. Without delving into the reasons why he thinks so, I don't recall how Gileadi knows where in the text Isaiah switches over to using the Assyria/Egypt conflict as a Last Days type. I would have to delve into the text.

Is it plausible? For those who believe in the reality of prophecy, which I do, why not? I guess in terms of the Book of Revelations and Dr. Jones' interpretation, there would be an equivalence between Assyria and Russian and her allies (AKA the Red Beast), and between Egypt and the Whore of Babylon, specifically America, maybe acting as the hammer for the whore of Babylon.

And if this is a correct interpretation on Gileadi's part, further explication by Isaiah may very well provide more detail regarding events leading up to the millenium.

I need to get back into the book. My first read was more of a survey.

reese
captain of 1,000

Post by reese »

larsenb wrote: Yes, I own the book. Looking at pages 61-64, Gileadi is suggesting Isaiah thinks the conflict between Assyria and Egypt in his day will be mirrored in the Last Days. However, he avers that in a Last Days context, Egypt could be likened to America. Without delving into the reasons why he thinks so, I don't recall how Gileadi knows where in the text Isaiah switches over to using the Assyria/Egypt conflict as a Last Days type. I would have to delve into the text.

Is it plausible? For those who believe in the reality of prophecy, which I do, why not? I guess in terms of the Book of Revelations and Dr. Jones' interpretation, there would be an equivalence between Assyria and Russian and her allies (AKA the Red Beast), and between Egypt and the Whore of Babylon, specifically America, maybe acting as the hammer for the whore of Babylon.

And if this is a correct interpretation on Gileadi's part, further explication by Isaiah may very well provide more detail regarding events leading up to the millenium.

I need to get back into the book. My first read was more of a survey.
Well if I am understanding correctly, Gileadi says that everything in Isaiah is meant to parallel a last days event. He says that America is the country that most resembles Egypt in the book of Isaiah. He has also said that yes, John in Rev. and Daniel, and Nephi, were all talking about the same thing. The "thing" that Isaiah called Assyria. That is probably why Nephi started quoting Isaiah when he was told to stop telling of his vision. He figured that Isaiah has already said it, so it would be ok to use Isaiah's words to finish the story. And you are right, if Gileadi is correct on this, then Isaiah may very well provide a lot of details!

Book of Ruth
captain of 100

Post by Book of Ruth »

Reese: Well if I am understanding correctly, Gileadi says that everything in Isaiah is meant to parallel a last days event. He says that America is the country that most resembles Egypt in the book of Isaiah. He has also said that yes, John in Rev. and Daniel, and Nephi, were all talking about the same thing. The "thing" that Isaiah called Assyria. That is probably why Nephi started quoting Isaiah when he was told to stop telling of his vision. He figured that Isaiah has already said it, so it would be ok to use Isaiah's words to finish the story. And you are right, if Gileadi is correct on this, then Isaiah may very well provide a lot of details![/quote]

So, if Egypt= the US, who is Assyria? I don't understand the "thing". Is it an ideology of a corrupt group of people? Isaiah referres to the one who is the antichrist that is allowed to reign. Is Assyria one individual that is allow to inflict terror and destruction?

reese
captain of 1,000

Post by reese »

Book of Ruth wrote:Reese: Well if I am understanding correctly, Gileadi says that everything in Isaiah is meant to parallel a last days event. He says that America is the country that most resembles Egypt in the book of Isaiah. He has also said that yes, John in Rev. and Daniel, and Nephi, were all talking about the same thing. The "thing" that Isaiah called Assyria. That is probably why Nephi started quoting Isaiah when he was told to stop telling of his vision. He figured that Isaiah has already said it, so it would be ok to use Isaiah's words to finish the story. And you are right, if Gileadi is correct on this, then Isaiah may very well provide a lot of details!

So, if Egypt= the US, who is Assyria? I don't understand the "thing". Is it an ideology of a corrupt group of people? Isaiah referres to the one who is the antichrist that is allowed to reign. Is Assyria one individual that is allow to inflict terror and destruction?[/quote]

larsenb
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by larsenb »

Book of Ruth wrote:
Reese wrote: Well if I am understanding correctly, Gileadi says that everything in Isaiah is meant to parallel a last days event. He says that America is the country that most resembles Egypt in the book of Isaiah. He has also said that yes, John in Rev. and Daniel, and Nephi, were all talking about the same thing. The "thing" that Isaiah called Assyria. That is probably why Nephi started quoting Isaiah when he was told to stop telling of his vision. He figured that Isaiah has already said it, so it would be ok to use Isaiah's words to finish the story. And you are right, if Gileadi is correct on this, then Isaiah may very well provide a lot of details!

So, if Egypt= the US, who is Assyria? I don't understand the "thing". Is it an ideology of a corrupt group of people? Isaiah referres to the one who is the antichrist that is allowed to reign. Is Assyria one individual that is allow to inflict terror and destruction?
I'm certainly not an expert, but this is what I mentioned in one of my previous posts:
I guess in terms of the Book of Revelations and Dr. Jones' interpretation, there would be an equivalence between Assyria and Russian and her allies (AKA the Red Beast), and between Egypt and the Whore of Babylon, with America also acting as the hammer for the whore of Babylon.
Am I misrepresenting Dr. Jones and others?

isaacs2066
captain of 100

Post by isaacs2066 »

larsenb wrote:
Book of Ruth wrote:
Reese wrote: Well if I am understanding correctly, Gileadi says that everything in Isaiah is meant to parallel a last days event. He says that America is the country that most resembles Egypt in the book of Isaiah. He has also said that yes, John in Rev. and Daniel, and Nephi, were all talking about the same thing. The "thing" that Isaiah called Assyria. That is probably why Nephi started quoting Isaiah when he was told to stop telling of his vision. He figured that Isaiah has already said it, so it would be ok to use Isaiah's words to finish the story. And you are right, if Gileadi is correct on this, then Isaiah may very well provide a lot of details!

I'm certainly not an expert, but this is what I mentioned in one of my previous posts:
I guess in terms of the Book of Revelations and Dr. Jones' interpretation, there would be an equivalence between Assyria and Russian and her allies (AKA the Red Beast), and between Egypt and the Whore of Babylon, with America also acting as the hammer for the whore of Babylon.
Am I misrepresenting Dr. Jones and others?

I understood it as saying that assyria is russia and her allies will destroy the whore of babylon and conquer the earth.

Johns revelation subtly tells us that the whore of babylon is the catholic church and that the earth is europe, the middle east and north africa.

See John's description of the whore fits the catholic church literally perfectly.

John also shows that babylon is the city that ruled the earth in his day. Which was rome.

See even the babylonian kings were said in official proclamations ect. To rule the whole earth.

Of course we know that they did not rule the whole globe, but in the ancient hebrew view of the the lands around them that they were familiar with the babylonians did rule the whole earth.

It is a manner of speech.

So if they all are describing the same sequence of events and we combine them all into one I see it playing out like this.

Russia and allies completely conquer europe north africa and parts of the middle east.

The catholic church is utterly wasted and europe sees almost unimaginable slaughter and destruction.

The wicked nations invade america but when they get to Zion and lay siege they are turned back by the power of God and a lot of them will die as they try to escape.

Then the servant leads Zion and whats left of america in a global war of liberation and reconquest.

All nations will be incorporated into to kingdom of God which will basically be governed by the U.S. constitution with a few slight changes.

Just my view, maybe I am way off the mark...?

Matchmaker
captain of 1,000

Post by Matchmaker »

I listened to almost all of Gileadi's talks that are posted online regarding the book of Isaiah. It took me a very long time, as he devotes about 1/2 hour to each chapter in Isaiah. I enjoyed his analysis, although I can't testify to the accuracy of his interpretation from an LDS perspective.