Education ..... it’s a commandment

Discuss liberty related books, videos, audio, as well as downloadable resources.
lundbaek
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by lundbaek »

President Uchtdorf, speaking in the Priesthood session of the October 2009 General Conference, that is to us in our day, told us that “For members of the Church, education is not merely a good idea—it’s a commandment. We are to learn “of things both in heaven and in the earth, and under the earth; things which have been, things which are, things which must shortly come to pass; things which are at home, things which are abroad;” (D&C 88: 79)

Verse 79 continues: “The wars and the perplexities of the nations, and the judgements which are on the land; and a knowledge also of countries and of kingdoms–

I can find no better way to learn of these things and their result than, in additon to reading the Book of Mormon and the Doctrine and Covenants, reading many of the books reviewed in this section. However, I find that some who are not awake respond as did a member of our stake presidency whom I persuaded to read "None Dare Call It Conspiracy" ..."mostly a bunch of bunk". My approach to reading things of this sort is to as in prayer for "my mind, eyes and heart to be open to the truths that I read."

Darren
captain of 1,000

Re: Education ..... it’s a commandment

Post by Darren »

lundbaek wrote:Education ..... it’s a commandment

My approach to reading things of this sort is to as in prayer for "my mind, eyes and heart to be open to the truths that I read.
Thank you, and I agree.

But there is a misconception in the Church of where and how to start to get education, from the philosophies of men or from the Holy Ghost.

People make a misnomer when they say that the temple is the Lord's University. There is no such thing as the Lord's University. The Lord does not employ the craft of Babylon to teach people.

The Lord takes us into his trust, gives us the Holy Ghost, and shows us a guided path to learning (it is similar to the Journeyman and Apprentice relationship for learning). The Lerner learns all he is willing to learn while searching by the light of the Holy Ghost, from all things on his path.

It is a Mormon cultural myth that going to Satan's University makes someone righteous, or a better Mormon (as if the amount of money one is able to command in Babylon for a salary has some kind of holy connection), education is important, but it is how you get it that makes all the difference.

God Bless,
Darren

lundbaek
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by lundbaek »

I think I may have heard the temple referred to as "the Lord's university" in our stake, but nowhere else that I can think of. There are things to be learned in the temple, other things are better learned in the scriptures, and yet others from the latter-day prophets and apostles and church publications. For example, I once asked a 70 where I could find doctrinal information on priesthood blessings and he referred me to priesthood lesson books as the best source in his opinion.

This discussion brings to my mind the danger of relying only on the Holy Ghost; expection the Holy Ghost to give us information without our having done any homework of our own. Like the "pillar" in our stake who said he does no "homework" but relies only on prayer for guidance on whom to vote for in elections.

In our stake we have been told that going to the temple makes one righteous and more sensitive to the Holy Ghost. From my own experience I believe that is true, but at the time I learned that, I also learned that the other kinds of "homework" were equally important. I has been suggested to me that I spend more time in the temple and less time in activities educating myself on (in my words) "things both in heaven and in the earth, and under the earth; things which have been, things which are, things which must shortly come to pass; things which are at home, things which are abroad; The wars and the perplexities of the nations, and the judgements which are on the land; and a knowledge also of countries and of kingdoms–"

Darren
captain of 1,000

Post by Darren »

lundbaek wrote:I think I may have heard the temple referred to as "the Lord's university" in our stake, but nowhere else that I can think of. There are things to be learned in the temple, other things are better learned in the scriptures, and yet others from the latter-day prophets and apostles and church publications. For example, I once asked a 70 where I could find doctrinal information on priesthood blessings and he referred me to priesthood lesson books as the best source in his opinion.

This discussion brings to my mind the danger of relying only on the Holy Ghost; expection the Holy Ghost to give us information without our having done any homework of our own. Like the "pillar" in our stake who said he does no "homework" but relies only on prayer for guidance on whom to vote for in elections.

In our stake we have been told that going to the temple makes one righteous and more sensitive to the Holy Ghost. From my own experience I believe that is true, but at the time I learned that, I also learned that the other kinds of "homework" were equally important. I has been suggested to me that I spend more time in the temple and less time in activities educating myself on (in my words) "things both in heaven and in the earth, and under the earth; things which have been, things which are, things which must shortly come to pass; things which are at home, things which are abroad; The wars and the perplexities of the nations, and the judgements which are on the land; and a knowledge also of countries and of kingdoms–"
To be clear, the temple puts us at a starting point. The starting-point is the commitment and consecration of one's self to the will of the Lord.

With this commitment as our starting point, we begin our learning by searching, for what the Holy Ghost prompts for us to do and be. I don't know about you, but what the Holy Ghost prompts me to do, becomes for me a fearsome drive, as it must be done (1 Nephi 3:7)! And with that passion, I look for those things that will aid me in my assignment. That looking will include books, classes, meeting and working with like minded people, etc.

I return to the temple, for one reason among many, when my commitment to the call of the Holy Ghost is waning and I need to add recommitment to my work.

If you feel called by the Holy Ghost to discover hidden things of darkness, and to work with others in this, then that is a calling for you. And just like prophets of old, who were told to tell the people of the Church to repent, you may be bringing up some sore subjects among those you are around. And they may try to get you less focused on your efforts.

Follow the prophet, for example, don't worry about polygamy, or try to get others interested in studying it. Weigh what you feel you are to do and learn, and check it with the words of the scriptures and modern prophets, and that will help keep you from being out of line, about something that appears to be good. And with that in mind, do what the Holy Ghost tells you to do.

It is interesting to note that Nephi's killing of Laban was a holy act. But there were specific checks and balances that Nephi had to go through to be sure that what the Holy Ghost was telling him to do was in line with what God approved of. Did Nephi's and Lehi's local Church leaders and members support what they were doing?

God Bless,
Darren