LDSFF in need of some new changes!

How can we improve the forum? Need help with something on the forum?
Z2100
captain of 100

LDSFF in need of some new changes!

Post by Z2100 »

Here are a list of things I would like to see in the future of LDS Freedom Forum

1. In-browser notifications: Get notifications of who quoted or thanked you for a post on your Chrome Browser (not sure about Mac)

2. Merge some forums together: Some forums could be merged together such as 2015/2016 elections with the past elections forum. I'm sure in 3 years no one will want a 2015/2016 election forum on the website

3. New font: Change the current font of the forum to Calibri Light

4. Get rid of unanswered topics: This might seem like a stretch, but those who posted threads that weren't replied to at all should be taken down. This will significantly decrease the number of "wasteful" threads on the wesbites. If a new topic isn't answered within 31 days, it will be deleted.

5. New Forum Icon: I'm getting tired of the icon at the very top- Get rid of the blue outside but keep the Moroni logo

6. Most Popular Discussion Forum: Compile the most discussed threads into one Forum

8. "Your home for discussing politics, the restored gospel of Jesus Christ, and the principles of liberty" o the top area by the logo should be changed to, "Your home for discussing the Last Days, the restored gospel of Jesus Christ and the principles of liberty." Since the Last Days forum is so popular on this website.

7. Overall UI change. Recolate different icons and make it look MORE MODERN!

I'm not totally sure if many of you guys want new changes to the forum. It seems like most of you on the forum are Baby Boomers based off of a past thread with a survey, so I don't think you'll like the change. Pitch-in any ideas you have for this forum!
Last edited by Z2100 on August 17th, 2017, 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

e-eye2.0
captain of 100

Re: LDSFF in need of some new changes!

Post by e-eye2.0 »

I don't even go into forums and never have. We just look at the most recent posts. I guess I don't start enough threads to care and I don't know if I am in outer darkness, church mall, or Julie Rowe dinosaur forum as it's all the same to me.

Z2100
captain of 100

Post by Z2100 »

e-eye2.0 wrote: August 17th, 2017, 10:45 pm I don't even go into forums and never have. We just look at the most recent posts. I guess I don't start enough threads to care and I don't know if I am in outer darkness, church mall, or Julie Rowe dinosaur forum as it's all the same to me.

If the majority only looks at recent posts, then it's probably time to clean-out house.

inho
captain of 1,000

Post by inho »

e-eye2.0 wrote: August 17th, 2017, 10:45 pm I don't even go into forums and never have. We just look at the most recent posts. I guess I don't start enough threads to care and I don't know if I am in outer darkness, church mall, or Julie Rowe dinosaur forum as it's all the same to me.
That is what I do too. Sometimes I check Your posts in the Quick links. This I do, if I remember that I have recently posted in some thread that I cannot see in the first page of the Latest Posts.

BeNotDeceived
Agent38

Post by BeNotDeceived »

I've installed dozens of apps and the only ones preferred over a browser are banking apps.

I've tried to force desktop view on my iPhone, but none have worked, other than that every aspect is awesome. :ymapplause:

David13
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by David13 »

I see absolutely no need for any changes anywhere on this forum.
The whole idea of "New and Improved" is repugnant to me. Totally unnecessary.
dc

SmallFarm
captain of 1,000

Post by SmallFarm »

Z2100 wrote: August 17th, 2017, 10:48 pm

If the majority only looks at recent posts, then it's probably time to clean-out house.
I've always only used the recent posts button

Z2100
captain of 100

Post by Z2100 »

SmallFarm wrote: August 18th, 2017, 10:34 am

I've always only used the recent posts button

That’s why we need to get rid of some stuff

lundbaek
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by lundbaek »

My sentiments exactly, David: I see absolutely no need for any changes anywhere on this forum. The whole idea of "New and Improved" is repugnant to me. Totally unnecessary.

Replacing "home for discussing politics" with "home for discussing the Last Days" would not stop me from discussing politics on the forum.

MMbelieve
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by MMbelieve »

That's all I do and rarely go down more than 20 posts.

lundbaek
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by lundbaek »

Many of the deviations from discussing politics, the restored gospel of Jesus Christ, and the principles of liberty have disuaded some good Church members from participating on this forum.

Silver Pie
seeker after Christ

Post by Silver Pie »

I think it is a bad idea to delete unanswered posts. During my years on here, I have sometimes looked through the list of unanswered posts and found some good subjects, and answered them. There was one, iirc, where a good discussion got started because replying to the post pushed it to the top and the thread was noticed.

When I get on, I look, first, at "your posts" and then "unread posts." Sometimes I'll go to a specific forum and look around.

I really don't have any complaints about the way the forum is set up, though it would be cool if we could choose the color (blue or a couple of other colors) and maybe the font we see, but Brian has worked hard to make and keep this place going. Since I can't donate $ to him to keep it going, I'll give him my full appreciation.

creator
(of the Forum)

Post by creator »

This doesn't address all of the OP's points (it also wasn't intended to) but I have been working on some forum updates (more modern design). You can respond/read about it here:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=46509