"The 'NEW AND IMPROVED' Thank Button"

How can we improve the forum? Need help with something on the forum?
David13
Level 34 Illuminated

"The 'NEW AND IMPROVED' Thank Button"

Post by David13 »

My thank button disappeared a few days ago.
What happened?
dc
Last edited by David13 on March 26th, 2017, 2:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Older/wiser?
captain of 100

Re: The Thank Button

Post by Older/wiser? »

My disappeared today, I thought it was Brian's way of making us all equal "friends"

JohnnyL
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by JohnnyL »

I think "friends" and "thank you" is different--it's an easier way than quoting a post and then putting "+1" at the end, or having ten people quote and say "thank you", so it shows up ten different times.

Silver Pie
seeker after Christ

Post by Silver Pie »

JohnnyL wrote: February 27th, 2017, 5:35 pm I think "friends" and "thank you" is different--it's an easier way than quoting a post and then putting "+1" at the end, or having ten people quote and say "thank you", so it shows up ten different times.
Ditto this.
Maybe it's temporary?

David13
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by David13 »

I suspect it's a malfunction of some type.
dc

JohnnyL
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by JohnnyL »

David13 wrote: February 27th, 2017, 7:02 pm I suspect it's a malfunction of some type.
dc
I hope so. Though not having it MIGHT get some more and better discussion going...

David13
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by David13 »

JohnnyL wrote: February 27th, 2017, 7:04 pm
David13 wrote: February 27th, 2017, 7:02 pm I suspect it's a malfunction of some type.
dc
I hope so. Though not having it MIGHT get some more and better discussion going...
I don't agree.
As pointed out above, then there is a tendency then to post nothing more than "Amen", or "I agree", or ... "ditto." When the thank function would simply suffice.
dc

creator
(of the Forum)

Post by creator »

It's just gone temporarily.

SmallFarm
captain of 1,000

Post by SmallFarm »

BrianM wrote: February 27th, 2017, 9:04 pm It's just gone temporarily.
+1

Rose Garden
Don't ask . . .

Post by Rose Garden »

Thanks!

Rose Garden
Don't ask . . .

Post by Rose Garden »

:D

inho
captain of 1,000

Post by inho »

There seem to be other recent changes too. For example, I think it is annoying that the name is not shown in the quotes anymore. On the other hand, when you quote somebody, in the code it now includes a time stamp. However, that does not show either.

Delight
captain of 10

Who is being quoted and in what context?

Post by Delight »

BrianM, pretty please bring back the thank you button. Seeing that people are appreciating or agreeing with others' comments is vital. Some of us really need the encouragement :ymhug: , or we lose interest in even contributing.

Also very important is displaying the actual name of the person who is being quoted. The continuity of conversations is being lost without this. People reading will wonder who said it and in what context it was said. At this point, the only way I know how to figure it out is by searching tediously through previous posts.

Facebook groups do a very good job of showing people's approval of others' posts and keeping comments tied to specific posts. The flow of conversations is so much easier there. The downside is that privacy/anonymity is lost on Facebook. And this privacy factor is now the only major draw to LDSFF that I can see.

The way LDSFF is working right now without these valuable features... it is like we have been castrated #-o. Under the current conditions, I foresee people's preference for communicating on LDSFF dramatically declining.

creator
(of the Forum)

Post by creator »

inho wrote: February 28th, 2017, 12:43 am There seem to be other recent changes too. For example, I think it is annoying that the name is not shown in the quotes anymore. On the other hand, when you quote somebody, in the code it now includes a time stamp. However, that does not show either.
The quote issue is fixed now. I had to make the theme compatible with the added quote features.

The thanks button will be back eventually. There was an update to the forum software being used so it will just be a matter of time.

Joel
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Joel »

the delete function seems to be working for me now too. thanks for the update

Onsdag
captain of 100

Post by Onsdag »

Nevermind. Brian fixed it.

But I agree - I miss the thank button! :-s

eddie
captain of 1,000

Post by eddie »

All of my notifications and pm's are gone and I haven't received any for a few days? Mind you, I am very popular so this is unusual.

creator
(of the Forum)

Post by creator »

eddie wrote: March 1st, 2017, 4:28 pm All of my notifications and pm's are gone and I haven't received any for a few days? Mind you, I am very popular so this is unusual.
No one else has had that complaint. And no, you haven't been sent to "outer darkness". I'll send you a PM as a test.

AI2.0
captain of 1,000

Post by AI2.0 »

BrianM wrote: February 28th, 2017, 5:26 pm
inho wrote: February 28th, 2017, 12:43 am There seem to be other recent changes too. For example, I think it is annoying that the name is not shown in the quotes anymore. On the other hand, when you quote somebody, in the code it now includes a time stamp. However, that does not show either.
The quote issue is fixed now. I had to make the theme compatible with the added quote features.

The thanks button will be back eventually. There was an update to the forum software being used so it will just be a matter of time.
'Thanks' Brian for working on getting it back, I missed the quotes labels too, glad they are back. :)

Silver Pie
seeker after Christ

Post by Silver Pie »

Meili wrote: February 27th, 2017, 10:41 pm
Thanks!
Double thanks. ;)

Rose Garden
Don't ask . . .

Post by Rose Garden »

It's back!

Rose Garden
Don't ask . . .

Post by Rose Garden »

Now you get notifications for every time someone thanks you and when they remove the thank as well. :D Be careful hitting that button!

David13
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: "The 'NEW AND IMPROVED' Thank Button

Post by David13 »

The Thanks button is back, and is new and improved.
It actually has Thanks spelled out on it and is in red.
And, thusly I was able to change the thread title.
dc

kittycat51
captain of 1,000

Re: "The 'NEW AND IMPROVED' Thank Button"

Post by kittycat51 »

Hip hip hooray! Thanks Brian. Made my day.

Rose Garden
Don't ask . . .

Re: "The 'NEW AND IMPROVED' Thank Button"

Post by Rose Garden »

Now what I'm wondering is why there is a little box before the word "Thanks." Is there some icon that's not showing up for me?