page jumps to ads

How can we improve the forum? Need help with something on the forum?
SmallFarm
captain of 1,000

page jumps to ads

Post by SmallFarm »

Has anyone else experienced this problem? I'll be trying to read a page here and an ad will open up between comments and move the page to where you have to watch the ad until it plays out. If you try to scroll away, the page will jump back over and over. Is this just a virus on my computer or a new thing for the forum? It's really annoying... X(

Joel
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: page jumps to ads

Post by Joel »

I use the Adblock Plus extension, I have never seen one ad on this site.

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

SmallFarm wrote:Has anyone else experienced this problem? I'll be trying to read a page here and an ad will open up between comments and move the page to where you have to watch the ad until it plays out. If you try to scroll away, the page will jump back over and over. Is this just a virus on my computer or a new thing for the forum? It's really annoying... X(
I have the same problem as of recent. The page cannot be scrolled sometimes, it sticks at the top of the page for a while.
Perhaps not related, but I have a problem with flashplayer plugin crashing all the time. Like on youtube I have to reload the page to watch videos because the video area has a box telling me the plugin has crashed. Very annoying.

creator
(of the Forum)

Post by creator »

I've never seen what is being described. If anyone can provide a screenshot it would be helpful.

SmallFarm
captain of 1,000

Post by SmallFarm »

It happens to me when there's a video in the ad space area... it won't let you scroll away until the video is done playing. I noticed that if I reload the page, the ad showing usually won't be a video so it won't be "sticky" to the ad space. To tell you the truth I haven't had much problems since I first complained about it.

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

I downloaded Adblock Plus made mentioned by Joel. No more ads causing the page to stick. or jump. Cool!

ebenezerarise
captain of 1,000

Post by ebenezerarise »

This is happening in Google Chrome with the embedded Google video ads. It makes the site some times unusable. There isn't a screen shot I can get of it because there's nothing to see. As you scroll down to read more of a thread the page just jumps back to the ad.

I don't and I won't install an ad blocker because I think they are dishonest. But there has to be a fix for it. I've so far only seen this on Chrome and I'll try another browser to see if that helps. But it certainly frustrates me and detracts from the site experience.

creator
(of the Forum)

Post by creator »

A screenshot of the page with the ad would still help.. I've still never seen this type of ad on LDSFF.

Cookies
captain of 100

Post by Cookies »

It keeps happening to me. So annoying! I'll get to reading the comments in any thread and it repeatedly takes me to whatever the "sponsored links" advertisement is in that thread. (The ones in every thread. Just the video ones though.) I used to be able to scroll right past them but not any more.

EmmaLee
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by EmmaLee »

Same exact thing ^^^ has been happening to me, as well; for a week or two now.

ebenezerarise
captain of 1,000

Post by ebenezerarise »

BrianM wrote:A screenshot of the page with the ad would still help.. I've still never seen this type of ad on LDSFF.
See the screen grab below, Brian. It shows up in the 250x250 block ads under the advertisement section beneath the first post of every thread. I'm guessing that if you block video ad types in your Google account settings for this ad zone it would do away with the problem.

There are not a lot of video ads served but when there are you cannot scroll down the page -- and the controls for the video don't seem to work either. I try to pause or stop it every time and it just ignores me. And if I scroll past it the browser just bounces right up to the ad again and I cannot read the rest of the thread.

The ads are completely random. You never know when a thread will have one. I might be on for an hour clicking all over the board and never see one and then boom, it literally paralyzes me as I'm reading. Hope this helps.

Ruby
captain of 100

Post by Ruby »

Yes, happens to me too. It just started a week or 2 ago. It always jumps to the ad right under the very first post on the page. I'm using Google Chrome.

creator
(of the Forum)

Post by creator »

I've changed some settings to try to get those ones not to show up anymore... (it might take a few days to take effect).. also if you tell me where the ad is linking to I can add it to the block list.

ebenezerarise
captain of 1,000

Post by ebenezerarise »

It is really random and for whatever reason it seems to pop up a lot for me in the mornings.

ebenezerarise
captain of 1,000

Post by ebenezerarise »

The ad this morning that seems to be running alot is for Jeep and Tirerack.

Cookies
captain of 100

Post by Cookies »

ebenezerarise wrote:It is really random and for whatever reason it seems to pop up a lot for me in the mornings.
.....That's what she said. ;))

ebenezerarise
captain of 1,000

Post by ebenezerarise »

I noticed something new, today -- when you get TWO of those ads as videos as seen in the screenshot below -- it prevents ANY scrolling on the page AT ALL.

And, as I'm trying to post this, I have to scroll down from the video currently playing on this page. Can't believe Google has this happening in their own browser.

A Random Phrase
Follower of Christ
Location: Staring at my computer, not sure whether to laugh or cry.

Post by A Random Phrase »

Yep, the video ads really mess things up.

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

Carry on.
Last edited by freedomforall on June 11th, 2015, 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

ebenezerarise
captain of 1,000

Post by ebenezerarise »

It is on every page I go to this morning, and it is officially pissing me off.

And no, I will not use adblockplus. I have moral issues with such behaviors. Site operators have a right to run ads and make money from their efforts and investments.

creator
(of the Forum)

Post by creator »

I've still never seen video ads like that on LDSFF. You could try deleting your browser 'cookies' and see if the same ads still appear. A lot of ads are based on your own personal internet browsing and your browser 'cookies' are directly tied to that.

Also, if you have a Gmail / Google account you can change your ad settings here: https://www.google.com/settings/u/0/ads" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;