Who to vote for?

Discuss principles, issues, news and candidates related to upcoming elections and voting.
prew
captain of 100

Who to vote for?

Post by prew »

I am not one to force anyone to vote for a certain person. But I thought that it would be appropriate to let anyone a choice.

For those in Utah, they can go here to get a list of the candidates to vote for. Many of the candidates have webpages to visit and get to know them more.

For me in Utah; it looks like all three house of representatives are up for grabs, besides the President and Vice President. Also here in Utah, the governor gets a chance to be replaced.
My state representative gets to be replaced, but not my state senator.

prew
captain of 100

Re: Who to vote for?

Post by prew »

Here are some local news stories about some of the Congressmen views on the bailout.
Senator Bob Bennett
The bailout has been tweaked, but does it have enough support to pass? Utah Sen. Bob Bennett said if it doesn't, another big bank soon could go down.
I hope that in 2010 he can be replaced. He just compromised his integrity. He entered the office to protect the constitution and he wants an unconstitutional bill to be passed.

Congressman Chris Cannon
He says maybe there will be some tweaks to the bill Thursday, but it is the only substantial option.
He voted for the bailout plan. He just compromised his integrity. He wants to pass an unconstitutional bill.

Congressman Rob Bishop and Congressman Jim Matheson
Rob Bishop
Republican Rep. Rob Bishop told KSL's Doug Wright, "It still lacks a great deal. It still appropriates $700 billion or puts it at risk. It doesn't make the insurance mandatory."

Rep. Bishop also said lawmakers did not give themselves time to explore other options that don't take a lot of money and create capital.
Good for him. He voted against the bailout plan. But he may swing over to the other side. Because his reasons are not very good reasons. He should say the bill is unconstitutional.
Jim Matheson
"There is too much uncertainty about whether this bill will steady the financial ship. There is no tangible effort at reform of our financial system to prevent Wall Street from running the boat onto the rocks in the future," Matheson said, according to a press release.

He says he doesn't agree with government being in the business of bailing out private companies that make bad business decisions. He said, "While the current financial crisis is unsettling, I believe more thoughtful attempts are needed - including necessary reforms — to calm the volatility in the markets."
Good for him. He voted against the bailout bill. But he can still swing to the other side because of the reasons he stated. He should of said the bill was unconstitutional.

Oh well, time to email my representative and thank him for voting against the bailout bill and tell him the real reason should be because the bill is unconstitutional and urge him to continue vote against any other form of this bailout plan.

prew
captain of 100

Post by prew »

Should have checked my representatives web site before digging up the local media reaction to his voting. His web site had a complete document on why he voted the way he did. I still think that he should mention "unconstitutional" in his reasons some where.

ChelC
The Law

Post by ChelC »

I sent a line off to Bennett and to Bishop. I reminded Bishop of the real reason not to vote for this. I also wasn't satisfied that it looked like he would vote yes on a lesser amount. I'll let you know if I hear anything. I'm sure I'll get a generic response from Bennett two weeks after all is said and done. Not sure about Bishop, he seems to be a better listener, but we'll see.

joseph
captain of 100

Post by joseph »

Bennett needs to be replaced...he also voted for the immigration reform bill. He does not represent rural Utah. Even Hatch seems to be more interested in shoveling out money to different groups than cutting the Federal budget.

The Republicans could have stopped abortion when they had control of Congress, but they did nothing.

Captain Moroni
captain of 1,000

Post by Captain Moroni »

The only Presidential Candidates who is against the bailout is Bob Barr and Chuck Baldwin. I will be voting for Barr in NC. I hope all will consolidate around Barr. :lol:

ChelC
The Law

Post by ChelC »

Barr gives me pause, but I'm leaning toward Baldwin or "none."

joseph
captain of 100

Post by joseph »

After looking at the Libertarian platform, as expressed on their web site (http://www.lp.org/), I would have trouble voting for Barr.

Abortion:
"Recognizing that abortion is a sensitive issue and that people can hold good-faith views on all sides, we believe that government should be kept out of the matter, leaving the question to each person for their conscientious consideration."

Personal relationships
"Sexual orientation, preference, gender, or gender identity should have no impact on the rights of individuals by government, such as in current marriage, child custody, adoption, immigration or military service laws. Consenting adults should be free to choose their own sexual practices and personal relationships. Government does not have the authority to define, license or restrict personal relationships."

I put in bold the parts of their platform I disagree with. I do agree with the vast majority of the Libertarian platform, but these issue above cause me pause...

Captain Moroni
captain of 1,000

Post by Captain Moroni »

Barr's position on the topics you mentioned is essentially the same as Ron Paul therefore different from the LP Platform. The position on these issues is that they are NOT federal issues but should be left up to each state.

natasha
captain of 1,000

Post by natasha »

Oh my gosh....how profound! STATES RIGHTS. The more we make things Federal Issues....the more intrusion into our lives there will be.

truthseeds
captain of 100

Post by truthseeds »

Barr?! While he's got the bailout right, he's a neo-conservative in disguise, just hiding behind the LP mantra. He voted in favor for the use of force in Iraq, FOR the Patriot Act (Oh, so sorry - so he says NOW), and he is former CIA. Then Barr stiffs Paul and the Third-Party candidates who displayed the integrity to show up at the press conference and show some unity. He apparently was upset because Paul wouldn't his ticket as VP...Barr is a politician with an 'All For ME' mentality. I'll be voting for Baldwin. I wish I could vote for Paul.

After the bailout vote that Hatch and Bennett voted for, I plan on campaigning against them in every way possible. We got rid of Rep. Cannon for Rep. Chaffetz via the last primary, so we can get rid of these two traders to the republic!

Captain Moroni
captain of 1,000

Post by Captain Moroni »

Truthseeds, IMO, Barr has been born again politically. He left the GOP several years ago and joined the LP. This was NOT a last minute change.

He did NOT show at the Ron Paul event because it doesn't make sense to tell people to vote for ANY 3rd party candidate thus splitting up the vote. Barr and the LP are the only 3rd party candidates having ballot access in enough states to win the Electoral College vote. I too like Baldwin but the CP often has anti-Mormons in leadership positions who refuse to allow LDS to hold leadership positions. In NC, the CP has never had ballot position and couldn't even get 500 signatures to have Baldwin as a write-in in NC.

So... I will take a "chance" that Barr has "seen the light" of liberty.

lundbaek
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by lundbaek »

Re. the story about anti-Mormons in the Constitution Party, if there were any serious problem with this in Arizona I'd likely know about it by now and would not be the CP secretary in AZ. I personally suspect CP efforts to get on the ballot in AZ were sabotaged by an Arizona Republican Assembly mole. Baldwin and Castle and I have write-in status in AZ As for Utah, the Utah Constitution Party Chairman tells me that "I am aware of that and continue to have to deal with it. In a few of those cases I have come to the conclusion that the information is being spread intentionally by people who are alarmed at the growing number of LDS people who are taking a look at the party and who want to keep those people in the GOP."

Captain Moroni
captain of 1,000

Post by Captain Moroni »

I know that LDS are accepted in leadership psoitons in the MountainWest but they are not in the South where evangelicals/fundamentalists dominate. I speak from direct experience, not heresay. I even called Howard Phillips about it (he's an evangelical) but nothing ever done here in NC.

joseph
captain of 100

Post by joseph »

We got rid of Rep. Cannon for Rep. Chaffetz via the last primary, so we can get rid of these two traders to the republic!
Truthseed, in your district you have an opportunity to vote for an outstanding Constitution candidate. His name is Jim Noorlander. I have met him several times and have heard him speak several times. IMHO, Mr. Noorlander is a very good man.

I know someone (who's character I fully trust) that worked with Chaffetz and she has a very negative opinion of him. My hunch is that Chaffetz will end up being another Washington crap weasel.

Captain Moroni
captain of 1,000

Post by Captain Moroni »

Is either Hatch of Bennett up for reelection in 2008? If yes, talk to his opponent and see where he/she would have voted on the bailout. If he/she would have voted NO, ask how you can help to get that person elected and let Hatch/Bennett KNOW you are doing this and spreading the word everywhere you can especially IF you voted for them in the last election.

prew
captain of 100

Post by prew »

Hatch and Bennett next election for them is in 2010.

Captain Moroni
captain of 1,000

Post by Captain Moroni »

Prew, that probably explains their votes. They think by 2010, that voters will have forgotten their vote for the bailout. You MUST make sure voters in Utah NEVER forget.

Also, IF I'm correct by 2010, we will have hyperinflation and probabaly martial law.