LDS Church encouraging vote for parties aligned with gospel

Discuss principles, issues, news and candidates related to upcoming elections and voting.
truthseeds
captain of 100

LDS Church encouraging vote for parties aligned with gospel

Post by truthseeds »

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=4326833
LDS Church encourages members to vote
September 22nd, 2008 @ 11:16am

(KSL News) The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is encouraging members to vote.

The church recently released a statement reading in part that "as citizens, we have the privilege and duty of electing office-holders and influencing public policy. Participation in the political process affects our communities and nation today and in the future."

The LDS Church has long-held a policy of political neutrality and continues that tradition in this statement saying, "Principles compatible with the gospel may be found in various political parties."

End

There is a lively comment section with over 100 comments already. The comments are most interesting...and some agitating, like this one:
Either way, why would they have to give a statement encouraging you sheeple to vote?
The LDS church doesnt need to give a PUBLIC recommendation on "who" to vote for-- they tell you behind closed doors! The LDS church simply wants to give the appearance of being neutral by giving a statement. How many other churches in the WORLD give their encouragement to vote??? None! must be a reason for that!! They arent fooling anyone!!!
Last edited by truthseeds on September 22nd, 2008, 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

masterdmjg
captain of 100

Re: LDS Church encourage we votefor compatible gospel Principles

Post by masterdmjg »

truthseeds wrote:http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=4326833

The LDS Church has long-held a policy of political neutrality and continues that tradition in this statement saying, "Principles compatible with the gospel may be found in various political parties."
I'd like to see discussion on the above statement; speculation on what they are trying to say. Is this a way of saying it is acceptable to vote for republicans or democrats, as well as other minority parties?

truthseeds
captain of 100

Post by truthseeds »

masterdmjg wrote:I'd like to see discussion on the above statement; speculation on what they are trying to say. Is this a way of saying it is acceptable to vote for republicans or democrats, as well as other minority parties?
I think it's a way of saying "Get out and vote and use your conscience and the Gospel!"
"Principles compatible with the gospel may be found in various political parties."
Myself, trying to read between the lines, it seems to say look beyond the two-party system, don't just vote republican again folks, there are other parties that are aligned with the principles of the gospel.

But reading the comments on ksl, most of them are bickering over nonsensical semantics and arguing with 'trolls' instead of debating the real issues and meaning of this release.

masterdmjg
captain of 100

Post by masterdmjg »

truthseeds wrote:
masterdmjg wrote:I'd like to see discussion on the above statement; speculation on what they are trying to say. Is this a way of saying it is acceptable to vote for republicans or democrats, as well as other minority parties?
I think it's a way of saying "Get out and vote and use your conscience and the Gospel!"
"Principles compatible with the gospel may be found in various political parties."
Myself, trying to read between the lines, it seems to say look beyond the two-party system, don't just vote republican again folks, there are other parties that are aligned with the principles of the gospel.

But reading the comments on ksl, most of them are bickering over nonsensical semantics and arguing with 'trolls' instead of debating the real issues and meaning of this release.
Yeah, I like that interpretation. They could be saying "various," as a way of saying it is perfectly fine to not vote republican or democrat.

And if they were speaking to most of my relatives, it's a very obvious way of saying "republican is not the only correct way to vote," like most of them seem to think. That is a topic I have become sick of arguing over with family members. They think the republican party is the one compatible with gospel principles. Sheeeyeah.

Jnewby
captain of 100

Re: LDS Church encouraging vote for parties aligned with gospel

Post by Jnewby »

If I voted Democrat or Republican, I wouldn't even bother to go get a temple recommend as I would have to lie to get it. But that is just me. I guess the old adage, ignorance is bliss, is very true.

a-train
captain of 100

Post by a-train »

In my personal experience, I have been working hard and taking every opportunity to plug Ron Paul, the Campaign for Liberty, the Mises Institute, and Liberty in general over the last year and I am seeing positive results, especially most recently. While at first, my LDS friends seemed to favor McCain and defend interventionism, that is changing. The mockery I used to get when talking about the Gold Standard is fading. I have hopes that the priesthood really will bear the Constitution away from destruction.

I hope that this election year will give America the awakening it needs to do something in 2010 with the Congress.

-a-train

Rob
the Sunbeam

Post by Rob »

Jnewby wrote:If I voted Democrat or Republican, I wouldn't even bother to go get a temple recommend as I would have to lie to get it. But that is just me. I guess the old adage, ignorance is bliss, is very true.
Ditto

truthseeds
captain of 100

Post by truthseeds »

a-train wrote:In my personal experience, I have been working hard and taking every opportunity to plug Ron Paul, the Campaign for Liberty, the Mises Institute, and Liberty in general over the last year and I am seeing positive results, especially most recently. While at first, my LDS friends seemed to favor McCain and defend interventionism, that is changing. The mockery I used to get when talking about the Gold Standard is fading. I have hopes that the priesthood really will bear the Constitution away from destruction.

I hope that this election year will give America the awakening it needs to do something in 2010 with the Congress.

-a-train
That is excellent. I've had a similar experience to yours. I feel somewhat vindicated, but I know we're not even close yet.

I imagine that whomever wins the presidential election, many folks will continue flogging and others will realize the game and that they've been played again as they see nothing change. So, yes, 2010 and 2012...I have high hopes for also.

lundbaek
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by lundbaek »

Recently, a few LDSs have expressed to me concern about how to decide whom to vote for. Here's what I tell them in just about these words:

I start with D&C 134:1, which tells us that God holds men accountable for their acts in relation to government, both in making laws and administering them. That verse alone should advise us that God definitely has an interest in our shaping of and administration of government. And therefore it would be wise for Latter-day Saints to determine, as best we can, just how the Lord would have us shape and administer government, and ultimately how we should decide whom to vote for.

Then I bring up D&C 101: 77-80, which informs us that the Lord established the Constitution of the United States by the hands of wise men whom He raised up for that very purpose. And I tell them that almost all of the latter-day prophets, as well as many latter-day apostles, have declared that the Constitution was created thru the inspiration of the Lord, and they have stressed the vital importance of defending, upholding and adhering to the Constitution. I let them know there exist recordings of many prophetic testimonies bearing solemn witness of this truth, and testify that there is no way around this responsibility if Latter-day Saints wish to remain a free people.

Then I sock 'em with D&C 98: 4-10, with special emphasis on Verse 6, which informs us that Latter-day Saints are to befriend the constitutional law of the United States. I tell them that in trying to come up with a good explanation of what the Lord meant by befriending the Constitution, I found a statement by President Ezra Taft Benson, spoken in the October 1987 General Conference. I cannot quote it all in conversation, but this is it: "How then can we best befriend the Constitution in this critical hour and secure the blessings of liberty and ensure the protection and guidance of our Father in Heaven?
First and foremost, we must be righteous... Two great American Christian civilizations - the Jaredites and the Nephites - were swept off this land because they did not serve the God of the land, who is Jesus Christ. (Ether 2: 12) What will become of our civilization?
Second, we must learn the principles of the Constitution in the tradition of the Founding Fathers. Have we read the Federalist Papers? Are we reading the Constitution and pondering it? Are we aware of its principles? Are we abiding by these principles and teaching them to others? Could we defend the Constitution? Can we recognize when a law is constitutionally unsound? Do we know what the prophets have said about the Constitution and the threats to it?
Third, we must become involved in civic affairs to see that we are properly represented....
Fourth, we must make our influence felt by our vote, our letters, our teaching, and our advice. We must become accurately informed and then let others know how we feel....
We, the blessed beneficiaries of the Constitution, face difficult days in America, a land which is choice above all other lands . (Ether 2: 10) May God give us the faith and the courage exhibited by those patriots who pledged their lives, their fortunes, and their sacred honor... "

If the person is still with me, (If you've read this far you'll know what I mean.) I tell them about D&C 109: 54, spoken in prayer by the Prophet Joseph Smith at the dedication of the temple at Kirtland, Ohio in 1836, which states that the Constitution of our land be established forever.

There are many Americans, and too many in the Church, who consider the Constitution out of date, meant for an earlier time when things were different, etc. They ignore the evidence that the Constitution’s role goes beyond providing a free nation in which the Gospel of Jesus Christ and His Church could be restored, and that it will become the governing system for the entire world during the Millennium. That evidence includes the statement by Melvin J. Ballard in the October 1918 General Conference that "...God’s word shall not fail when He predicted that the instrument known as the Constitution of the United States, the Spirit of Liberty established here by a few weak colonists, was His order of things for the government of men, and it should roll forth to fill the whole earth."

Those instructions point me to candidates who have demonstrated, as best their circumstances permitted, their espousal of the US Constitution. I would be hard put to choose between Ron Paul and Chuck Baldwin. All others, both republican and democrat candidates, have demonstrated disdain for certain constitutional principles in various ways.

truthseeds
captain of 100

Post by truthseeds »

lundbaek wrote:Recently, a few LDSs have expressed to me concern about how to decide whom to vote for. Here's what I tell them in just about these words:

I start with D&C 134:1, which tells us that God holds men accountable for their acts in relation to government, both in making laws and administering them. That verse alone should advise us that God definitely has an interest in our shaping of and administration of government. And therefore it would be wise for Latter-day Saints to determine, as best we can, just how the Lord would have us shape and administer government, and ultimately how we should decide whom to vote for.

Then I bring up D&C 101: 77-80, which informs us that the Lord established the Constitution of the United States by the hands of wise men whom He raised up for that very purpose. And I tell them that almost all of the latter-day prophets, as well as many latter-day apostles, have declared that the Constitution was created thru the inspiration of the Lord, and they have stressed the vital importance of defending, upholding and adhering to the Constitution. I let them know there exist recordings of many prophetic testimonies bearing solemn witness of this truth, and testify that there is no way around this responsibility if Latter-day Saints wish to remain a free people.

Then I sock 'em with D&C 98: 4-10, with special emphasis on Verse 6, which informs us that Latter-day Saints are to befriend the constitutional law of the United States. I tell them that in trying to come up with a good explanation of what the Lord meant by befriending the Constitution, I found a statement by President Ezra Taft Benson, spoken in the October 1987 General Conference. I cannot quote it all in conversation, but this is it: "How then can we best befriend the Constitution in this critical hour and secure the blessings of liberty and ensure the protection and guidance of our Father in Heaven?
First and foremost, we must be righteous... Two great American Christian civilizations - the Jaredites and the Nephites - were swept off this land because they did not serve the God of the land, who is Jesus Christ. (Ether 2: 12) What will become of our civilization?
Second, we must learn the principles of the Constitution in the tradition of the Founding Fathers. Have we read the Federalist Papers? Are we reading the Constitution and pondering it? Are we aware of its principles? Are we abiding by these principles and teaching them to others? Could we defend the Constitution? Can we recognize when a law is constitutionally unsound? Do we know what the prophets have said about the Constitution and the threats to it?
Third, we must become involved in civic affairs to see that we are properly represented....
Fourth, we must make our influence felt by our vote, our letters, our teaching, and our advice. We must become accurately informed and then let others know how we feel....
We, the blessed beneficiaries of the Constitution, face difficult days in America, a land which is choice above all other lands . (Ether 2: 10) May God give us the faith and the courage exhibited by those patriots who pledged their lives, their fortunes, and their sacred honor... "

If the person is still with me, (If you've read this far you'll know what I mean.) I tell them about D&C 109: 54, spoken in prayer by the Prophet Joseph Smith at the dedication of the temple at Kirtland, Ohio in 1836, which states that the Constitution of our land be established forever.

There are many Americans, and too many in the Church, who consider the Constitution out of date, meant for an earlier time when things were different, etc. They ignore the evidence that the Constitution’s role goes beyond providing a free nation in which the Gospel of Jesus Christ and His Church could be restored, and that it will become the governing system for the entire world during the Millennium. That evidence includes the statement by Melvin J. Ballard in the October 1918 General Conference that "...God’s word shall not fail when He predicted that the instrument known as the Constitution of the United States, the Spirit of Liberty established here by a few weak colonists, was His order of things for the government of men, and it should roll forth to fill the whole earth."

Those instructions point me to candidates who have demonstrated, as best their circumstances permitted, their espousal of the US Constitution. I would be hard put to choose between Ron Paul and Chuck Baldwin. All others, both republican and democrat candidates, have demonstrated disdain for certain constitutional principles in various ways.
That is excellent! I am going to attach these words to this article and send it to all my LDS friends and family. Anybody else have more goodies like this?

jonholb55
captain of 100

Post by jonholb55 »

I heartlily agree with the stand of the LDS Church regarding political neutrality and upholding Constitutional Principles. It has become apparent with the pending financial bailout that neither the Republicans or Democrats are following God-given constitutional principles as expoused by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
On a related topic, I was very happy to see that Dr. Ron Paul has endorsed Dr. Charles Baldwin of the Constitution Party for the Presidency of the United States. I will, therefore support the Constitution Party and its slate of candidates. There is no material difference between the Republicans and Democrats as evidence by the McCain/Bush/Obama/Pelosi/Reid/Bennett Financial Bailout Deal. In fact my I propose a new presidential ticket for the Republicrat Party: McCain/Obama. Sarah Palin can go back to Alaska and eat mooseburgers while she views Russia from her back porch. Joseph Biden can ride Amtrak between his home in Delaware and Washington, D.C.
We need to educate our fellow Americans about the Constitution Party and its principles. There has been a virtual news blackout in regards to the Constitution Party. If it is discussed at all, it is in derogatory terms. For example. Michael Medved refers to the Constitution Party as the "Constipation Party. Call radio talk shows, write letters to the editor and use the internet and blog, poromoting the Constitution Party. Thank-You

lundbaek
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by lundbaek »

Many LDSs still support McCain because a couple of reportedly good loyal priesthood holders in the political arena, Romney and Huntsman, have done considerable cheerleading for McCain. Not only are they oblivious to McCains disdain for certain constitutional and moral principles, but they are just as ignorant of Romney's demonstrated disdain for certain constitutional and moral principles.

Mark
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Mark »

but they are just as ignorant of Romney's demonstrated disdain for certain constitutional and moral principles.

LOL Hey Lundbaek you remind me of Inigo Montoyo in Princess Bride as he searched relentlessly for the 6 fingered killer of his father. Hey Romney, you killed the constitution. Prepare to be looked at with unspeakable disdain over and over and over and over again. :lol:

Bircher
captain of 100

Post by Bircher »

The hate here is getting so disgusting as to be beyond belief

When we cannot even discuss things civilly as fellow LDS, (anywhere on this board) why should anyone on the outside take us seriously?

You'll tell me to get a sense of humor, I have one, what is hear is the spirit of the evil one, not humor.

I am disgusted.

Mark
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Mark »

Are you kidding me Bircher? Has Aussies snide fascist comment taken you over the edge?? Try being called a child of hell son of perdition to be a hundred times! :cry: My comment to Lundbaek was not hate speech. It was a little good natured ribbing. Has this board gotten that sensitive? If so then I'm history. You need to lighten up Bro. :roll:

lundbaek
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by lundbaek »

I for one took no offense at Mark's comment, but this and others of his recent posts demonstrate to me a change in tactic to persuade us to his thinking.

My frequent reminders of Mitt Romney's unsuitability as a US President, VP, or as a Congressman serve my intent to highlight what I consider the stupidity of LDS voters for overlooking and/or ignoring Romney's disdain for certain Gospel and constitutional principles in his efforts to get into the White House. If he were to become a final candidate for US President he could and likely would be justifiably "swiftboated" for things that would surely embarass the Church. Like all LDSs I know of in Congress, he has not adhered to Gospel principles.

Bircher
captain of 100

Post by Bircher »

I didn't think you would take too much offense to it, you are very thick skinned. I am too, but this place is out of control. It is constant name calling, and rude behavior just because it is "anonymous" and no real conversation can happen, and real conversation is why I joined.

shadow
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by shadow »

Lets give the anonymous Mark a break. He has an overdeveloped sense of vengeance. Actually, I'm pretty sure he's the Dread Pirate Roberts.

Mark
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Mark »

Hey Shadow I'll get to you later you skallywag.
I for one took no offense at Mark's comment, but this and others of his recent posts demonstrate to me a change in tactic to persuade us to his thinking.

So now its us vs him Lundbaek? Come on Bro I'm not smart enough to have all these hidden agenda's and secret tactics. Just ask JB. He can read me like a book. You guys seem to take things way to seriously at times. Conspiracy can be a double edge sword. If you look for it to often in to many places it can start to affect the cerebral cortex. Just sayin...

jonholb55
captain of 100

Post by jonholb55 »

It has ocurred to me over the last couple of days that people who subscribe or read from this forum have to educate their family, friends, and relatives in Constitutional and Gospel concepts. The Restored Gospel of Jesus Christ and the U.S. Constitution support each other. There cannot be any conflict.
Brother Brigham stated that Truth, wherever that it may be found, can be circumscribed into one great whole and is part of the Gospel. If there is an apparent conflict, in the minds of some concerning the Restored Gospel and Constitutional principles, then you can reach only one conclusion; that that individual doesn't understand either the Restored Gospel and/or the Constitution.
All of us, have at some point in our lives have been in ignorance, concerning the Gospel and the Constitution. The solution is simple: Study, ponder, and pray about both with a clean mind and heart. Put all prejudices and preconceived concepts behind you as you leave Modern-day Babylon and become a citizen of Zion. The Lord will confirm the Truth to you, then share that with your friends and family.
God bless the United States of America and Latter-day Israel as they go forward together, to fulfill their mission and prophetic destiny.

shadow
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by shadow »

Mark wrote: You guys seem to take things way to seriously at times. Conspiracy can be a double edge sword. If you look for it to often in to many places it can start to affect the cerebral cortex. Just sayin...
Reminds me of my good friend Bob Wiley's favorite poem, which is Roses are red, violets are blue, I'm a schizophrenic.... and so am I!

Mark
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Mark »

Reminds me of my good friend Bob Wiley's favorite poem, which is Roses are red, violets are blue, I'm a schizophrenic.... and so am I!

Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men. Only the shadow knows. :shock:

shadow
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by shadow »

Mark wrote:Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men. Only the shadow knows. :shock:
Yes, I take credit for many things. I even have my own government :wink:

jonholb55
captain of 100

Post by jonholb55 »

Yes, Lamont Cranston for President and the lovely Margo Lane for vice-president. As the "Shadow" he would battle the secret combinations in the United States and defeat them.
Thank-You

Mark
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Mark »

No fair shadow. :evil: You now have achieved super hero status and all people can say about me is Mark! Mark! the hairlipped dog.